Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2019 NFL Draft discussion thread

seantaylor=god

9 hours ago, JaxJoe said:

This seems to be an annual thing we pounce on....  take any player that drops right before draft day.  In this era that anyone can tweet lies and it go mainstream, this will continue to happen.

What internet doctor misdiagnosis's's a heart condition anyways.

giphy.gif

49 minutes ago, Rex Tomb said:

If Risner is there mid-2nd, I would seriously consider packaging the two third round picks and moving to get him.  Dude will be an absolute mauler.

Im hoping we get him somehow. We need a WR, but if we can improve our line with Risner that would be huge. I like that he is a good character guy too

12 minutes ago, ggarriso said:

No your absolutely right - if you watch the video when he gets the call it is clear this was not a preferred destination for him.  He rolls his eyes and the female next to him recoils and puckers her lips.  Of course once they know the cameras are on its all (fake) smiles, but in his super low energy way- nothing genuine about this at all.  Everything about his body language thru the course of the evening screamed entitled bratty lazy and def. not a leader of a NFL franchise.

I'd hate to see what you thought about A-A-Ron's reaction on his draft day :ols:

Haskins' body language is/was concerning, but based on some quotes it sounds like he's more pissed at the rest of the NFL with how far he fell than with coming here.  There's a strong argument for him being a close #2 QB in the draft, and he ended up 9 spots behind the 2nd QB taken.

Not that I particularly like guys with egos, but if it instills in him "imma beat every other team and show them they screwed up not to take me" then it might be beneficial.

1 hour ago, goskins10 said:

C'mon all on both ends was mostly coach speak. My guess - and yes it's just a guess is he didn't dislike him as much as he said before the draft and he doesn't like him as much as he will say after the draft. Or he may have been standing on a table screaming he didn't want Haskins but got over-ruled. What is he supposed to do now? Pout? Say well I realy don;t this kid but I will do what I can? If nothing else Jay is a good soldier. And he will honestly work with Haskins the best he can. 

After sleeping on it I give them B- to a solid B Really not in love with a QB - any QB at 15. Haskins, Jones, Lock all have major flaws that will need to be developed out. They took the guy that at least so far has not demonstrated he can improvise. But we shall see. That may be able to be coached. If they stopped there the grade would be a D, maybe D-. The only thing keeping it from being an F is they did nto trade up for him. They let the draft come to them and took him at 15. Had they traded down and still got him - then this would be higher. But not always easy to trade down and the person trading with them may have taken Haskins - so I get staying at 15. 

But they recovered nicely with Sweat. For those saying it's just the Redskins staff saying he is Ok and the combine medicals were wrong, this was being published by independent sources early yesterday. While there is still EDGE rushers left, for there is a significant drop off after Sweat who talent wise could have easily been a top 10 picks. In fact if the Raider surprise had been Sweat at 4 people would have said it's maybe a little reach but could see the pick. Unlike Ferrell who really should have been middle of the 1st maybe even late 1st - but of course that depends on the picks in front. If 5 QBs get taken he goes later. To get him for a 2nd this yr and next is not bad. 

It was just a simple question sorry

I suspect we were last on Haskins's list of teams to go to. We tout him being a Potomac kid and assume he loved the traffic and politics, but you know that means he got to witness our org's RG3 dysfunction as well as any other fan with access to the local media and every game on TV during his high school years.  We gotta get him a WR. A vet, and draft a kid as well.

1 minute ago, bakedtater1 said:

It was just a simple question sorry

Fair enough. Just knew that would come up and it read differently. But no worries. 

I really do not take what these guys say before the draft to heart at all. Any and all of it can and probably is bull****. 

Gil Brandt was talking about when he was GM leaving a fake board out for a writer to see and then going with what they saw and it was completely wrong. They did it on purpose lol   They also showed a scout the wrong board to see who was leaking. They found out and fired their ass. Funny to listen to. 

10 minutes ago, goskins10 said:

Fair enough. Just knew that would come up and it read differently. But no worries. 

I really do not take what these guys say before the draft to heart at all. Any and all of it can and probably is bull****. 

Gil Brandt was talking about when he was GM leaving a fake board out for a writer to see and then going with what they saw and it was completely wrong. They did it on purpose lol   They also showed a scout the wrong board to see who was leaking. They found out and fired their ass. Funny to listen to. 

Yeah regardless of what I read and what happens I choose to be a fan of this team... And because I choose to be a fan of this team I support the owners and coaches... I do not let anything I read bring me down..

I'll defer to the boards mavens on Haskins and his abilities (although the kid has got some game to be sure), my biggest worry is that I donot have faith in the organization to develop and use him to maximize his potential. After the whole RG3 debacle it wouldn't surprise me one bit if Haskins & Co. wonder wtf is coming their way. If this is Jay's final shot, what happens? You're shopping for a coach to inherit Haskins and make him a franchise QB, and an uphill climb since the team's rep is shabby.

I wonder what the conversation might be here if we had taken Burns and Sweat though..................

9 minutes ago, goskins10 said:

... Gil Brandt was talking about when he was GM leaving a fake board out for a writer to see and then going with what they saw and it was completely wrong. They did it on purpose lol   They also showed a scout the wrong board to see who was leaking. They found out and fired their ass. Funny to listen to. 

Good stuff. I like weeding out the moles.  Meanwhile, the Skins show their hand, with it widely reported that Dan sat in on only one interview. 

No deception here is needed, as we have enough deception through the normal course of dysfunction.  So blatant, that it was reported before the draft, and during the draft... disagreement on what to do at 15.

I am happy with our day 1 draft.  I am still kind of stunned we actually drafted a QB. 

8 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

So Jay being happy with Haskins, I doubt it.   

And I do agree that Dan had to do something to jazz up his fan base.  Haskins is a big name.  Keenum-Colt are yawn.   So the marketing side of it is smart IMO.

I think you are spot on with your assessment.  Keenum-Colt may be yawn but they can play under center and run the staples of Gruden's offense, e.g., bootlegs.  Haskins seems to be cut from a different cloth.  Haskins may sit the first year while Gruden plays out his contract.  Perhaps Snyder was planning on a new HC anyways.  But, if so, I don't know why you wouldn't just draft a rookie QB the following year.  If the Skins had picked Sweat at 15 (still good value ) then Haskins cost a second this year and a second next year.  I guess that's ok too.  My objection is picking players that don't best suit what your coach is trying to do.  If Kyle Smith made the decision then great.  But Bruce Allen/Snyder?  No way - not even if it eventually pans out for the team.

As much as I like Sweat, the Skins are going to miss on some coveted WRs and G prospects.  WR, G or TE for the two third round picks.  Skins are going to have some glaring holes unless they luck out.

Haskin's was definitely not someone i wanted them to draft.  But to say he did not want to be here?  That might be a stretch.  I think he was pissed based upon where he was picked. From listening to him he felt snubbed by the league.  In his mind he should have gone # 1, or at the very least #6 to the Giants.  So now he has a chip on his shoulder.  And if that helps the Skins get more out of him then good for us.  I am sort of meh about the pick because we have so many holes on the O side of the ball.    

I think they should roll with Keenum.

I do like a lot how the D is starting to shape up.  And we all know it all depends on how healthy the players stay.  Because we have almost zero depth where we need it.  They better work on getting a decent receiver and an OT.   Not that Sims or Quinn can't help but there seems to be durability issues.  BUT if we stay healthy and get a bit more depth at receiver and fortify the line a bit who knows.

3 minutes ago, LD0506 said:

I'll defer to the boards mavens on Haskins and his abilities (although the kid has got some game to be sure), my biggest worry is that I donot have faith in the organization to develop and use him to maximize his potential. 

We did a fine job developing Kirk Cousins as a 4th round QB. Jay didn't choose him in the draft either, but made it work. 

Haskins definitely needs weapons, but he also needs an OL, and we could still use secondary and LB help. You can't always fix everything in one offseason and there is no team without holes. That being said, I expect us to address both OL and WR in the coming rounds. I also would view 2019 as a bridge year, where we hopefully just make the playoffs. I would view 2020 as the year that we add a lot in FA, fill out in the draft, and hopefully content. 

1 hour ago, Rex Tomb said:

If Risner is there mid-2nd, I would seriously consider packaging the two third round picks and moving to get him.  Dude will be an absolute mauler.

I agree, even McCoy and Jenkins might be worth it as well.  Im generally not a fan of trading away multiple second day picks for a single player, but I feel any of those guys would be plug and play and a solid player for years, instead of two players who are more of a risk.  Since o line is such an area of need, and we just drafted our franchise QB (supposedly), we need to make sure he is protected, and through that lens the trade would make sense.

As I said last night, I think Haskins makes a bit more sense when you think of it in this way:

With weighted BPA grading, Haskins was probably in the top 15 range for the draft, actual potential/position weighting probably between 20-30.

Sweat was a top 10 guy.

We drafted Haskins at 15 because he's a QB. We drafted Sweat at 26 (which we gave up one 2nd for, basically).

Switch their draft position... Sweat was drafted closer to his talent level (and we still got him at value) if you count him as #15.

Haskins was drafted closer to his actual range at #26.

@Skinsinparadise said that most people against Haskins wouldn't have liked the pick at 26, either. Which I understand. However, I'm not sure that's the case for a majority of people. I was never happy with Haskins. I was never not happy with Haskins. I was okay, though. But when I look at it the other way and see Sweat as 15 and Haskins as 26 I'm pretty much ecstatic. The second best quarterback in the draft (arguably) at 26 is great value.

Sweat is tremendous value.

I have a feeling Jay is going to set out to make Dwayne play under center, until we are down 3 scores with 5 minutes left, when he decides to go to gun/hurry up.

I am very curious as to Jay's future at this point. Trying to make Haskins something he is not, is old school square peg round hole NFL QB "development".  An old school recipe to get a coach fired, and ruin a QB.

1 hour ago, sempre_victrix said:

I’m one of them. 

At at least I’m happy about one of the picks. 😃

It almost happened to me.

After the Redskins selected Haskins, I watched a little bit longer. Then I went and fixed something to eat and brush my teeth. When I went into my bedroom to sleep, I just happened to to a quick look at the draft on the TV. I saw the Redskins' logo on the bottom left of the screen. I was like "What the hell!?", and jumped back online. :)

Good pick, though.

4 minutes ago, Anselmheifer said:

We did a fine job developing Kirk Cousins as a 4th round QB. Jay didn't choose him in the draft either, but made it work. 

Haskins definitely needs weapons, but he also needs an OL, and we could still use secondary and LB help. You can't always fix everything in one offseason and there is no team without holes. That being said, I expect us to address both OL and WR in the coming rounds. I also would view 2019 as a bridge year, where we hopefully just make the playoffs. I would view 2020 as the year that we add a lot in FA, fill out in the draft, and hopefully content. 

And I hear ya but you seem "hopeful" that the org won't do something stupid, like just throwing the kid into the fire day one just to chase the buzz, instead of coaching him up and building up the team he needs around him. We could use an upgrade at LG but overall the O line is no joke when they aren't being hauled off the field by EMTs. IF..... Big IFs coming at us......IF Guice shows up, and/or AP has another good season available, IF someone steps up at WR, IF Jordan Reed had the graham crackers in his legs replaced with bone, IF-IF-IF.............. 

I’m hoping we do the following at the upcoming picks. 

3. WR or TE

3. TE or WR

5. Guard or Safety 

5. Safety or Guard

Late round steal in olinemen and DBs are more likelier than WR or TE. 

We also took Apke last year which I’m not totally giving up on.

Hail. 

1 hour ago, Jericho said:

Remember when people thought a team had to offer a first to get Rosen? Or two seconds? Just like your Drew Lock comment, there's some crazy inflation on some of these QBs that some fans buy into but isn't reality. I still think a 3rd is good value on Rosen, though I could be talked into a 2nd if I loved him as an evaluator. Unfortunately it appears no one does really love Rosen. And with NY and Washington off the table, I suspect the price is falling rather than rising. Maybe the Bengals if they don't take Lock.

Makes me qeustion how many teams really liked him last year. Maybe they could have drafted him later in the draft. Think about that. I just don't believe that one year behind that o-line would put teams this off like this....if they liked him last year. 

15 minutes ago, KDawg said:

But when I look at it the other way and see Sweat as 15 and Haskins as 26 I'm pretty much ecstatic. The second best quarterback in the draft (arguably) at 26 is great value.

Sweat is tremendous value.

This is how I am looking at it and and Gruden was pretty much saying the same in his presser. Gruden said they had Sweat rated at 15 as well. So yeah flip the selection position and makes more sense to the fans. At the end of the day we got two good to great players in the 1st round. I am okay with this. :)

Archived