Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2019 NFL Draft discussion thread

seantaylor=god

2 minutes ago, RawRebel said:

Last year made up reports of  upcoming bombshell got us Guice and a misdiagnosis of an heart condition lands us Sweat. Is the skins luck finally changing in the draft.

Dont forget the doubt about a QB that has top tier talent around him. That was always a terrible argument, and I cant believe anyone fell for it.

For a top tier prospect like sweat, you make that trade all day. Gamechangers like that just aren't there in the 2nd round and later... at least they're much harder to find. It's great to see the front office favoring qualite over quantity over the last few years in the draft and FA... now, if we can just not be the most injured team in the league for a 3rd year in a row.

Just now, Skinsinparadise said:

If you buy what beat guys are saying Haskins wasn't Jay's guy.  So not sure about the Jay drafted him.    Plenty of noise from them that they'd take Haskins.  106.7 guys were flat out saying today the plan isn't to trade up but take Haskins if he's there at 15 with Bruce-Dan leading that. 

What gets me about this is the question of what that means. We heard Jay's comments on Haskins but does that mean he didn't like him at all, that he would rather have drafted him lower? What does Jay think about his abilities and potential? 

I don't think this was a solely Dan move merely because it wasn't something where we overdrafted him or picked him when we didn't need him. So I'm thinking that Jay and Scouts liked him as a prospect but thought that he wasn't the best player for them when putting together the draft board. There could have been discussions like the draft thread but I don't think anybody gave him a "DON'T DRAFT HIM" grade. Like, thats the grade I was giving Luck and Jones. So I'm confident that there's more to the story than we know (as I am often with this front office)

18 minutes ago, CTskin said:

I can't believe we keep neglecting the most important position on the field, LG, and do stupid stuff like draft an excellent QB and OLB prospect. I don't think it's possible to win without a great LG.

You know what, you're right. Alex Smith can attest to your position. Colt McCoy too. And running games? Who needs those? I mean, we've got a great receiving corps. With Doctson and Quinn. Yeah. And Cam Simms, he's the next Andre Johnson. Haskins is going to have a field day with this offense, probably set records.

You want a guy to come in and have a smooth transition to the NFL with a good supporting cast around him? This is the place. Plus, he's a pocket passer. With an LG like Ereck Flowers, this isn't an A+ situation for him. It's A++. Haskins is probably going to go every scout and coach on the team and shake their hands, because this is living the dream baby.

I literally cannot complain about the last 3 drafts we had in the first round. Every pick made sense to me. Haskins at 15 and not mortgaging the future is a good pick. QB is a need for us, Sweat was a total steal. His heart condition was way overblown and probably even inaccurate. 

Now, I'd love an OL heavy finish to this draft. At least 3 picks OL please, we need to start developing these guys to potentially protecting our new Franchise QBOTF. 

5 minutes ago, NickyJ said:

You know what, you're right. Alex Smith can attest to your position. Colt McCoy too. And running games? Who needs those? I mean, we've got a great receiving corps. With Doctson and Quinn. Yeah. And Cam Simms, he's the next Andre Johnson. Haskins is going to have a field day with this offense, probably set records.

You want a guy to come in and have a smooth transition to the NFL with a good supporting cast around him? This is the place. Plus, he's a pocket passer. With an LG like Ereck Flowers, this isn't an A+ situation for him. It's A++. Haskins is probably going to go every scout and coach on the team and shake their hands, because this is living the dream baby.

I really hope the plan is to groom haskins. In this era of everyone wanting everything immediately, this will be tough to digest, but it would be best for this kid and this team's future.

Rosen should not have been playing this year but the cards were stubborn and he was the worst qb in the league. You don't do that to a rookie.

If you honestly think that we'd be better off by drafting the 4th best OL and take your pick at WR instead of doing what we did then I seriously question your football IQ. If you feel strongly against sweat and haskins then so be it, hopefully, for all of our sakes, it'll all pan out where I'm correct!

24 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

106.7 guys were flat out saying today the plan isn't to trade up but take Haskins if he's there at 15 with Bruce-Dan leading that. 

Didn't Russell say that the plan WAS to trade up into the top 5 for Haskins but the FO talked Snyder out of it?...

I remember reading that, and thinking that settles it--there was no way we were ever gonna trade up to begin with lol...

16 minutes ago, Thinking Skins said:

What gets me about this is the question of what that means. We heard Jay's comments on Haskins but does that mean he didn't like him at all, that he would rather have drafted him lower? What does Jay think about his abilities and potential? 

A lot of people would have to be wrong coupled with Jay's statement for your view of this to be correct.  Last year rumor was he wanted another player with their first rounder, we could say that was BS but then Doug later without mentioning Jay outright said there was disagreement with the pick.

But Jay will play the good solider because you have no choice.  You can't say that you aren't on board with your #1 pick -- that would be a national headline.  The dude is now on your team so you embrace it.  So if you want to believe that Jay is on cloud nine about it or whatever have at it.  I don't believe it.  Too much noise going in the other direction.  

3 minutes ago, Califan007 said:

Didn't Russell say that the plan WAS to trade up into the top 5 for Haskins but the FO talked Snyder out of it?...

I remember reading that, and thinking that settles it--there was no way we were ever gonna trade up to begin with lol...

Russell and Paulsen suggested Dan was talked out of trading up for Haskins but wasn't talked out of taking Haskins at 15.  Most of the national guys actually echoed the same story this afternoon.  

20 minutes ago, Birdlives said:

So the Cards are now stuck with Rosen. Will they get even a day 2 pick for him? Keeping him now would be toxic. Looks like Denver, Miami, and a wild card will be the spot. His value has tanked. I expect a New England, New Orleans, San Diego type of shrewd team to grab him for a song if those others don’t.

Latest report was that teams offered a 3th rounder. That was kinda like I expected. Low ball offers because they have no leverage after the first round started evolving this way. I think the gambled on QBs going early and then force a team like us to trade a second rounder for Rosen. 

2 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

A lot of people would have to be wrong coupled with Jay's statement for your view of this to be correct.  Last year rumor was he wanted another player at #1, we could say that was BS but then Doug without mentioning Jay outright said there was disagreement with the pick.

But Jay will play the good solider because you have no choice.  You can't say that you aren't on board with your #1 pick -- that would be a national headline.  The dude is now on your team so you embrace it.  So if you want to believe that Jay is on cloud nine about it or whatever have at it.  I don't believe it.  Too much noise going in the other direction.  

There's a difference between cloud nine and Jay giving him a like, but not love grade. I know you know about this because this is the type of wording you use all the time. That's all I'm saying. People (reporters) are acting like if Haskins wasn't Jay's top choice that Jay didn't want the guy on the team. And I'm saying what if Jay's grades were something like 

Murray - 10

Jones - 8

(Sweat - 7)

Haskins - 6

Luck - 4

or something like that. Those numbers are arbitrary, but giving a guy a grade a 6 isn't saying we don't want him. And if he was like most of the fans who wanted an edge guy who could contribute immediately, like Sweat, then maybe that second pick does help things in that regard too. 

But (in my Fred Smoot voice) at the end of the day, Jay's not the GM. We don't know where Kyle and DW were on this. The speculation has been that Bruce and Dan were for Haskins and that DW was likely in their corner as well but I haven't heard Kyle's name once by any of the beat reporters before today. I think Al Galdi may have mentioned it in today's show and I was like "finally". But if it was like the Quinn situation where the grown ups were saying that "this is the better value" and Jay was in a corner pouting, then let him pout. Side note. I just got a sick feeling calling Dan a grown up. 

11 minutes ago, CTskin said:

I really hope the plan is to groom haskins. In this era of everyone wanting everything immediately, this will be tough to digest, but it would be best for this kid and this team's future.

Rosen should not have been playing this year but the cards were stubborn and he was the worst qb in the league. You don't do that to a rookie.

If you honestly think that we'd be better off by drafting the 4th best OL and take your pick at WR instead of doing what we did then I seriously question your football IQ. If you feel strongly against sweat and haskins then so be it, hopefully, for all of our sakes, it'll all pan out where I'm correct!

I hate neither one nor the other. But either way, our offense was the weakest part of the team last season, and what we have done is put ourselves exactly at square one. Our O-line is still poor at best, injured at worst. Our receiver corps is still dependent on winning the UDFA lottery. (Do you seriously think that a battle between josh Doctson, Trey Quinn, and Cam Simms is acceptable? Not a single one of them would break top three on ANYONE else's team.) Our offense is going to do exactly like it did last year because nothing has changed other than a new name at QB. Keenum will suck because the entire offense sucks, and he'll be benched by week 5. In comes Haskins, straight into the fire that you yourself admit is bad for a rookie QB. I can't believe you really think our team would sit on it's new star QB.

I admire you for having the faith in the old school way of sitting your first round QB, but the only two teams have successfully pulled that off in the past 20 years: The Chiefs and the Packers. If you think we're in the same territory as them, cool, but I don't.

3 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Russell and Paulsen suggested Dan was talked out of trading up for Haskins but wasn't talked out of taking Haskins at 15.  Most of the national guys actually echoed the same story this afternoon.  

We got gobs and gobs of reports about how Dan Snyder was "taking over the 1st round" and reporters--local and national--were echoing that the "Skins want to trade up into the top 5/to #3" to get Haskins...it wasn't until hours before the draft that we got anyone saying Snyder was talked out of taking over the 1st round. And seriously, who was thinking Snyder would get talked out of anything, ever? lol...I mean it was the whole "What Snyder wants, Snyder gets...he's the one in charge, everyone else just works for him" tweets from reporters driving that point home whenever they had the chance. Once the whole "They talked Snyder out of it" tweets started flowing, I knew there was never anything to those initial reports to begin with. Snyder didn't take over the 1st round and we were never serious in any way about trading up into the top 3, none the least for Haskins.

Our defense is going to be stacked next year. And all but Kerrigan and Norman are under 25. It’ll be a fun unit to watch over the next few years. 

Lets hit WR TE and G in 3/3/5 and let’s hope to get some solid picks at 5/6/7/7 on defense for depth. We’ve done well in that range in recent years. Can’t beat what we did in day 1

6 minutes ago, Burgundy Yoda said:

I'm off to go lurk on Giants message boards, I can almost guarantee it will give me a laugh or two before bedtime. 

Please report back the best stuff, for those of us whose shots aren't up to date

3 minutes ago, Thinking Skins said:

There's a difference between cloud nine and Jay giving him a like, but not love grade. I know you know about this because this is the type of wording you use all the time. That's all I'm saying. People (reporters) are acting like if Haskins wasn't Jay's top choice that Jay didn't want the guy on the team. And I'm saying what if Jay's grades were something like 

Murray - 10

Jones - 8

(Sweat - 7)

Haskins - 6

Luck - 4

Interviews:

A.  We got one where Jay strongly hinted he didn't want a QB in round 1.    He talked about having 2 Qbs in the building was hard enough to split reps let alone a third Qb competing for reps. 

B.  We got Jay saying he wants a player who helps him win now

C.  We got Jay specifically highlighting Haskins as a Qb who isn't ready to help win now.

Just off the top of my head, we got Keim saying Jay isn't a Haskins guy.  Hoffman.  Paulsen. Sheehan.  Russell.  Russini.  Garafalo hinted at it.  Finlay.   All of these people didn't agree on everything as for behind the scenes happenings but they did agree on that point.  All of those same people said Dan in particular wanted Haskins.  Some said Bruce, too.  One said Doug, too. 

So Jay being happy with Haskins, I doubt it.   But I agree on 2 points:

A.  Jay is a good solider and is a happy dude in general and will make the best of it.  And he will make Haskins and his teammates feel like he was his guy.  That's what a good coach should do.

B. QB's are crap shoots.   I am not jazzed about Haskins.    But you never know.  He could be the goods.  Even if Jay doesn't think he's the guy, he could be wrong. The fun part about Haskins is he is the darling of many of the draft show talking heads.  Riddick and Brooks in particular will wax poetic tomorrow about how the Redskins are geniuses.  And that will be fun to watch.  They were playing Haskins games on TV today, got some recorded. 

And I do agree that Dan had to do something to jazz up his fan base.  Haskins is a big name.  Keenum-Colt are yawn.   So the marketing side of it is smart IMO.

Giants’ Daniel Jones pick is an utter disaster on so many levels

April 25, 2019 | 11:46pm | Updated

So Dave Gettleman finally fell in love with a quarterback.

But what angry Giants fans have every right to ask is this:

Daniel Jones with the sixth bleeping pick?

Cue the John McEnroe tape:

YOU CANNOT BE SERIOUS!!

How do you neglect your depleted defense by passing on a gifted pass rusher such as Kentucky’s Josh Allen with the sixth pick of Thursday night’s NFL draft?

Does Jones have enough arm to succeed Eli Manning and carry the team one day and be the Giants’ next franchise quarterback?

https://nypost.com/2019/04/25/giants-daniel-jones-pick-is-a-disaster-on-so-many-levels/

Archived