Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2019 NFL Draft discussion thread

seantaylor=god

6 minutes ago, Califan007 said:

They traded their 1st rounder for Amari Pooper..er, Cooper...

I had to go to NFL.com to see what happened. Totally forgot about the Plooper thing. No wonder the 1st round of the draft this year looked and felt civilized... lol

1 minute ago, Thinking Skins said:

Don't forget this was at the owners meeting? Or was it the combine?

But what my point is. It's some serious time ago. They interviewed the guys, had them over for visits. Watched more film. It's not impossible that during the proces Jay started to like Haskins more and more. 

27 minutes ago, Califan007 said:

We got gobs and gobs of reports about how Dan Snyder was "taking over the 1st round" and reporters--local and national--were echoing that the "Skins want to trade up into the top 5/to #3" to get Haskins...it wasn't until hours before the draft that we got anyone saying Snyder was talked out of taking over the 1st round. And seriously, who was thinking Snyder would get talked out of anything, ever? lol...I mean it was the whole "What Snyder wants, Snyder gets...he's the one in charge, everyone else just works for him" tweets from reporters driving that point home whenever they had the chance. Once the whole "They talked Snyder out of it" tweets started flowing, I knew there was never anything to those initial reports to begin with. Snyder didn't take over the 1st round and we were never serious in any way about trading up into the top 3, none the least for Haskins.

That same day the local guys were shooting down the trading up narrative.  It was a competing national narrative versus local narrative.      I posted on it on the draft thread at the time.   The beat guys mostly concurred on the Haskins angle but not the trading up part.  They all agreed that Dan was infatuated with Haskins and they all questioned Jay on that front. 

The idea that they loved Haskins obviously ended up true.   The idea that it would be at 15 (the local narrative from most) if he lands there ended up true, too.  The national reporters were wrong about the trading up yesterday.  Most of the local guys were right yesterday and today.  The local guys thought they could trade up but only if Murray fell. 

I get that it spoils the fun some if they were right about Jay's position on this so I am not here to pop that balloon anymore.  If people want to believe that Jay was really spearheading it and or was  jazzed as Dan or maybe didn't love it but really liked it -- then OK that's cool.  The draft is fun so I don't want to spoil anyone's party.  I've made my case enough. 😀

2 hours ago, Master Blaster said:

If he cant beat out McKeenum he shouldn’t have been drafted 15th 

He has 1 year of experience. He needs time, and a healthy OL and running game and playmakers of which he has pretty much none. Throw Keenum to the wolves, he'll be motivated to earn another deal or die trying, and we can bring Haskins along slowly and hand the team over to him after the bye IF the OL is healthy. The two things he needs are a healthy OL, and some time. We signed Keenum to take the beatings Rosen/Haskins/or whomever the hell we drafted would be ducking. No need to turn around and let them fall on Haskins head from season kick off forward. 

20 minutes ago, Thinking Skins said:

I don't think you want to debate the subject using tweets on the subject.  If you want to see the ton of tweets from reporters about Jay's alleged position on Haskins then go to the draft thread and you'll find them.  If you want to believe Jay really digs Haskins and that was one of his guys, cool.    I've just seen plenty and heard plenty that contradicts it.  😀

2 hours ago, Thinking Skins said:

Thank You!. Love that kind of thing. Interesting to listen to a Saturday2Sunday podcast from January and they both had Haskins #1 on their QB board. Had Waldman a few weeks ago and it sounded like he was Waldman's #2 or #3. He definitely seemed to like him more than Lock or Jones. 

2 minutes ago, The Consigliere said:

Thank You!. Love that kind of thing. Interesting to listen to a Saturday2Sunday podcast from January and they both had Haskins #1 on their QB board. Had Waldman a few weeks ago and it sounded like he was Waldman's #2 or #3. He definitely seemed to like him more than Lock or Jones. 

Yeah, his accuracy and deep ball ability were things I liked about him. I do worry about how he'll handle pressure but just being able to complete balls in stride and have wrs get yac can be very beneficial. 

For those interested here is what scouts told Bob McGinn about Sweat

3. MONTEZ SWEAT, Mississippi State (6-5 ½, 260, 4.44, 1-2): Doctors have discovered that Sweat has an enlarged heart. He participated in the Senior Bowl and combine. Last year, Michigan DT Maurice Hurst fell to the fifth round with what one source described as a similar condition. “I think it will be a pure judgment call for every medical staff,” the scout said. “We’re meeting on it this week.” His blazing 40 enhanced his draft position. At the same time, his arms measured a position-best 35 ¾ and his arms were 10 ½. “Allen and Sweat are very similar guys,” said another scout. “One-year big production guys. Long and lanky. Look the part. Are they Pro Bowl-caliber players? I don’t think so. They’re going to get drafted where Pro Bowl-caliber players get drafted. I like him, but he’s not Von Miller.” Kicked out of Michigan State in April 2016 after failing at least one drug test and getting involved in some other dustups. “Kind of a party culture there,” said a third scout. “We had some guys from Michigan State talk about him positively during the time he was there. We’re OK with it.” Finished with 105 tackles (30 ½ for loss) and 23 ½ sacks. “That workout stuff, you don’t see on the field,” a fourth scout said. “He’s a gangly athlete. He gets beat up at the point of attack. As a rusher, he’s not a fluid-moving guy. He wins with his length. Just kind of a one-trick pony. He’s scary. He does play hard. But his workout numbers and what you see on the field are two different things.” Scored 14 and 19 on the Wonderlic. From Stone Mountain, Ga. Could be compared to former Titan Jevon Kearse (6-4, 262, 4.45). “Not a bad comparison,” said a fifth scout. “Inside stab. Inside move and he gets his arms under. He’s got such great arm length. I don’t like his person, but with that length and that speed he can develop if he’ll take coaching.”

7 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I don't think you want to debate the subject using tweets on the subject.  If you want to see the ton of tweets from reporters about Jay's alleged position on Haskins then go to the draft thread and you'll find them.  If you want to believe Jay really digs Haskins and that was one of his guys, cool.    I've just seen plenty and heard plenty that contradicts it.  😀

Why do you keep saying "really digs". I'm saying "doesn't hate". I've never seen a report that Jay hates Haskins. If one exists, it's new to me. 

3 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

The point I think is you are taking jay’s supposed stance of wanting someone else over Haskins at 15 and interpreting it as “Jay doesn’t like Haskins.” Of course if it were up to Jay I’m sure he’d roll with case (may do that anyway) and add an impact player elsewhere. Maybe he also thinks Lock is more pro ready. None of that translates to Jay hates Haskins. Now, maybe he does hate Haskins. But I think it’s more likely given the tweet above, he thinks he’s a talented kid that needs a bit of grooming. So did Mahomes. He’s a straight shooter and called it how it is. I would be pretty surprised if he hated the player, I’m sure he just wanted to add an impact player and go with the vet at QB. Maybe that’s why they traded up for Swear, get two guys they would have liked at 15.

2 hours ago, skinny21 said:

No real problem picking Haskins, like his tools, age, how quickly he’s picked things up, and the spot we got him.  

But...it’s another dumbass Redskins move in terms of process.  

At least it sure looks that way to me.  Jay didn’t want Haskins, but the FO ignored him and instead drafted for the future.  But now we’re that much more likely to have a new coach come in next year who, once again, doesn’t get to pick their qb.  

Jay has had the cruddiest, oddest run of luck with qbs:

Griffin never recovers (learns to play)

Colt plays and almost immediately gets hurt 

Cousins isn’t retained

Smith is traded for and extended  (without JG’s input)

Sudfeld gets poached

Smith gets injured

Colt gets injured

FO picks Haskins 

Here’s hoping the reports of Gruden not really liking him weren’t true.  

You needed to note his first mistake. Signing on to coach the Redskins. There's an Iraqi style Highway of death when it comes to anyone brought in here to further their careers, player or coach. I think the only guys who escaped relatively intact were the assistants we were too stupid to hire, and Gibbs. He's gotta own this misery. There's a reason we ended up stuck with Zorn in 2008. Jay Gruden should have paid attention to that when he was HC job hunting five years ago. 

2 minutes ago, Thinking Skins said:

Why do you keep saying "really digs". I'm saying "doesn't hate". I've never seen a report that Jay hates Haskins. If one exists, it's new to me. 

Am i making the case that Jay hates Haskins?  I don't recall using that word but if I did and then I misspoke.  What i said or meant to say is multiple reporters have said that Jay did not want Haskins.    The reports when elaborated depending on the source was either Jay preferred other QBs, Jay didn't want to take Haskins and the harshest was Sheehan saying he heard Jay didn't like Haskins as a player.  

You can take that anyway you like.   There is enough smoke there for me to have doubts that Haskins is his guy.   But you can take it anyway you like with whatever interpretation of what that means that hits you.   To each their own on that front. 

Having said that, Jay is a good natured, positive dude that i am sure will try to make the best out of it.  And hopefully it works out.  Even if my interpretation is correct, i am intrigued to see what Jay can do with this guy. 

9 minutes ago, HardcoreZorn said:

The point I think is you are taking jay’s supposed stance of wanting someone else over Haskins at 15 and interpreting it as “Jay doesn’t like Haskins.” Of course if it were up to Jay I’m sure he’d roll with case (may do that anyway) and add an impact player elsewhere. Maybe he also thinks Lock is more pro ready. None of that translates to Jay hates Haskins. Now, maybe he does hate Haskins. But I think it’s more likely given the tweet above, he thinks he’s a talented kid that needs a bit of grooming. So did Mahomes. He’s a straight shooter and called it how it is. I would be pretty surprised if he hated the player, I’m sure he just wanted to add an impact player and go with the vet at QB. Maybe that’s why they traded up for Swear, get two guys they would have liked at 15.

Again not sure where I am making the case that Jay "hates" Haskins but if I used that word somewhere than I misspoke.   

QBs IMO are crap shoots.  As you know, I if anything obsess on getting one.    I don't think you can win the big dance without a franchise QB.  I ultimately have gotten behind every young QB they've had here.    I'll do it for Haskins too soon enough.  I got some doubts about the dude -- love the Mahomes reference you use albeit they are totally different QBs stylistically.  But I get your point.  I enjoy the romance of a young QB as much as anyone so i am not trying to spoil the party.  I've made my case enough about Jay.

If people want to soak it up, ESPN's college station has been running old games from all the QB prospects this week including Haskins.  And tune into Path to the Draft tomorrow, Bucky Brooks worships Haskins.  Ditto NFL Live tomorrow because Reddick worships him, too.  A love fest is coming tomorrow.   I think it's going to feel a lot like the Spring of 2012 for awhile, lots of optimism.   

Thread over at Cowboyszone...

Redskins are a hot mess

(and yes, it was started yesterday before the draft, after reading Russini's "reports', among others)

Some posts before the draft:

"synder taking control of the draft room is awesome. "

"It's nice having "The New Cleveland Browns" in our division."

"Haskins will be a bust. Jones wont be much better. Drew Locke is better than any other QB in this draft. Leave it to the skins to mess up yet another premium draft pick. Thats why we love them."

"Redskins are a hot mess, water is wet and the sun sets in the west."

And some from after the 1st round:

"Redskins did in fact own the first rd. Damn that defensive line is going to be tough. "

"Agreed. Their defense will be top 10 for sure "

"Sigh...yep, probably. Their secondary is solid but behind THAT line it sure doesn't have to be spectacular. IF they build the O the next two to three years like they have this D.....look out."

"Yeah that hot mess switched in a hurry. Forgot Reuben Foster didn’t get suspended either. Yikes."

"They’re well on their way just with Haskins and Guice returning. "

"On paper if this defense gives up more than 215 points this year all coaches should be terminated "

Wow happy with the news of Sweat.

Stayed up through the Haskins pick. Didn't have an issue with that at where we got him. Would have been different if we've threaded up into the top ten, but think at our original spot he is decent value. Bottom line, we need a long term QB.

Switched off after, but man I love trade up for Sweat. Only a future second rounder added in as well, great trade.

Haskins and Sweat is a damn good return.

Archived