Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Starting QB 2019???

Renegade7

Who should be the starting QB in 2019???  

402 members have voted

1. 1. Who should be the starting QB in 2019???

• Alex Smith
    • Colt McCoy
    • Trade for a Veteran
    • Sign a Veteran
    • First Round Pick (2019 draft class)
    • Non-First Round Pick (2019 draft class)
    • Too Early to Answer
    • I don't know yet
    • We're screwed (at least at QB for 2019)

Stidham to me is basically a poor man's Lock (and I'm not all that high on Lock). Not quite the arm talent of Lock, but still a very good arm, good mobility and athleticism like Lock has. Both of them IMO show poor play when pressured but Stidham definitely more so. Lock's accuracy drops off a cliff when pressured and while he seems to keep his head at times when rushed, I've also seen him panic a bit and basically just run backwards then try to short arm a throw of a poor base. Stidham is even worse in this area; he very often gets deer in the headlights when pressured and on top of that becomes very inaccurate. 

I personally think Lock is a late 1st round/mid-high 2nd round QB prospect (and that's where I think he'd be if he were coming out during a better QB class). And I wouldn't take Stidham until the 3rd at the earliest. Probably more of a 4th or 5th rounder IMO.

3 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I am not infatuated with Rosen.  I like his potential but I can also easily see him being a bust based on what I perceive are his flaws.  But regardless I like the idea of trading for him as long as its not for a first rounder.   As for Rosen it all depends on compensation.  I'd love the deal for a third rounder.  I'd like the idea of a 2nd rounder.  I'd hate it for a first rounder.  I'd dislike it if its for two picks like a 2nd-3rd rounder. 

This is exactly how I feel about him. But, you also have to consider what the cardinals are thinking. Would it be better just to keep him than give him up for a 3rd? In terms of value, I would think that would be true. In terms of not having a disaster of a QB room and a constant QB controversy in the press, I guess you have to get rid of him if you draft Murray. 

6 hours ago, Anselmheifer said:

This is exactly how I feel about him. But, you also have to consider what the cardinals are thinking. Would it be better just to keep him than give him up for a 3rd? In terms of value, I would think that would be true. In terms of not having a disaster of a QB room and a constant QB controversy in the press, I guess you have to get rid of him if you draft Murray. 

Yeah am with you there.  Some people act like we got the Cards by the balls on a trade here but I don't see how.  They can keep him for the season if they choose.  Cheap backup and insurance for Murray.  Heck they can keep him for the start of the season and wait to see if a team get desperate after an injury -- see the Bradford trade to the Vikings.   Plus multiple teams are likely interested to deal.  

I don't see how we wouldn't have to give up at least a 2nd.  As for rumors, we got the Redskins, Giants, Denver, Oakland, Pats all mentioned as potentially interested.  Though I read the other day that the Pats didn't grade Rosen that highly before the draft.  Days ago I read the opposite so who knows. 

Wow, just reviewing in my mind the litany of failures and bad luck this FO had in the 9 seasons in charge. 

1. The McNabb experiment- Nuff said.

2. The Beck/Grossman competition- Holding my nose while I remember this.

3. The RG3 trade up- Mortgaging our future for the Messiah which seemed like a good deal for 90% of the season until a fluke injury exposed his mediocrity from the pocket.

4. Falling into a pot of gold with Cousins only to not have the foresight to sign him long term after the 2015 season ( I didn't either, however I am not an NFL GM). After the 2016 season I believe Cousins started playing hardball and would only sign longterm for top guaranteed money (like he eventually got).

5. The Alex Smith trade which in hindsight feels like too much money for a QB who doesn't turn the ball over but doesn't take very many chances. Only to end in tragedy. 

6. Case Keenum trade which I have come around on after financials were released. 

What am I saying? Something that others have stated many times over, in much better ways. The FO has done what it thinks will lead to winning seasons but through incompetence and bad luck injuries has led to abject neglect of the QB position. 

Sorry for the tl;dr

The contract for Smith was stupid. The trade for Smith, without consulting the HC was stupid, largely because Smith's game does not mesh at all with what Gruden likes to do. Anyway, this was an awful team last year. All the talk of being 6-3 before the injury doesn't placate my frustration much. We beat the Cards, Bucs, Packers, Carolina, the G-Men, and that wretched group from Texas. Only one of those teams made the playoffs; the rest stunk. So starting 6-3 doesn't really impress me in that context. We lost against quality competition, and were roundly out-coached in each of those outings. The Indy game was only in week 2, and I don't know how I didn't have a TV without a chair or lamp through it by the end of that game. Terrible coaching.

Our problems won't be solved by bringing in a good QB. By now, the problems have become systemic. Those at the controls need to go. Not at all displeased with the Keenum signing. He's a reliable backup, who's proven his worth (with the right coaching and surrounding cast). Let's hope we at least have a truly competitive season, every week, and continue to build through the draft while getting ready for our next HC, who will hopefully be someone competent and worthy of the position. I'm not being defeatist, just realistic. I'm a Skins man through and through, so I hope like hell that we win every game, and I don't care if the score is 3-0 each week. I just don't have a lot of confidence in the current setup, moving forward.

2 minutes ago, skinzplay said:

The contract for Smith was stupid. The trade for Smith, without consulting the HC was stupid, largely because Smith's game does not mesh at all with what Gruden likes to do. Anyway, this was an awful team last year. All the talk of being 6-3 before the injury doesn't placate my frustration much. We beat the Cards, Bucs, Packers, Carolina, the G-Men, and that wretched group from Texas. Only one of those teams made the playoffs; the rest stunk. So starting 6-3 doesn't really impress me in that context. We lost against quality competition, and were roundly out-coached in each of those outings. The Indy game was only in week 2, and I don't know how I didn't have a TV without a chair or lamp through it by the end of that game. Terrible coaching.

Our problems won't be solved by bringing in a good QB. By now, the problems have become systemic. Those at the controls need to go. Not at all displeased with the Keenum signing. He's a reliable backup, who's proven his worth (with the right coaching and surrounding cast). Let's hope we at least have a truly competitive season, every week, and continue to build through the draft while getting ready for our next HC, who will hopefully be someone competent and worthy of the position. I'm not being defeatist, just realistic. I'm a Skins man through and through, so I hope like hell that we win every game, and I don't care if the score is 3-0 each week. I just don't have a lot of confidence in the current setup, moving forward.

I've got no problem with this here post..very good points and just shooting from the hip.. plenty are familiar with my positivity round here...but at some point the whole mediocre has got to stop..I mean if grudes goes 8-8 this season is it good enough to keep him around?..will Snyder finally have enough and pull the plug?..I personally could get into a 3 game win season... regardless of how bad the wheels fall off I'm front n center for a Redskins game each Sunday to root them on...with an 8-8 season ya get plenty of win some lose some games..a handful of those win some games are awesome!!(at home against dallass last year)but even these mediocre seasons are starting to leave a sour taste in my mouth..."some times ya gotta blow it up to build it up again when the lights go out in the town were living in"..

I think Gruden has shown his ceiling. Add the team president to the mix, and it's just not a combination that elicits any kind of confidence whatsoever. Don't know who the next coach should be, but I know who I don't want to be our coach when the 2020 off-season starts. Team president too.

Might as well roll with McCoy as the starter this season. He knows the offense, the locker room is behind him, and he has the talent to get the job done. Keenum is a capable backup who can deliver. We do need to carry a third QB; not doing so was plain ridiculous given injury history along the OL and what we witnessed with several teams (notably the Eagles and Vikes) in recent years. I still don't trust a young QB to Gruden. If we're going to draft a QB of the future, let the next coach help to make that choice.

19 hours ago, Unbias said:

Seems right. I'm still surprised other teams weren't in on this deal. Why wouldn't a team without a backup be interested in that deal? Get a vet on a 1 year, $3.5M deal. I mean Mike Glennon, who was just cut, was due to make $4 this year. Chase Daniel has a cap hit of $6M this year and Chad Henne has one of $4.1M. There's also big cap savings to be had if a team were to cut a name like Tannehill, Dalton or Taylor and just run with him. 

Anyway, the more I look at this it's a great move. Waiting for all the official numbers to come out on the 18th, but at this time it's a winner. What can make it even better is if Keenum does play well in a stint we might get a comp pick when someone signs him after the season. 

Because Keenum had to agree to it. Keenum voluntarily waived $10 million of salary to come here. I think he did so because he believes the can start here. That won't be true virtually anywhere else. So I doubt Keenum would cooperate with a trade to virtually any other team and they'd have to take on his full $17 million salary

I like Colt and I think our offense was slightly more aggressive with him, but he has proven that he is extremely injury prone and is limited in arm strength.  We need to get Rosen and build around him or fill some other holes this year and draft a QB early next year.  Either way we still are several holes away from being good.

4 hours ago, bakedtater1 said:

I believe the Cardinals will draft Murray and Rosen will be our qb...we trade a 3rd and keenum...if we bottom out at 3 wins the new coach either keeps or moves on from Rosen..

Maybe something happens with a Rosen trade after Murray's Pro Day which is Mar. 13th.  I'd think both entire brass and management of Cards and Skins are there so they can talk to each other.  Just a guess.

Folks keep referring to Colt as injury prone but thats not exactly fair. Reed and Thompson are injury prone granted they play alot more too but just to be fair Colt is 31 and has had a total of 3 injuries that have sidlined him in his career. 

1. He was de-cleated in CLE 

2. Got nicked up after replacing RG3 I think . It was Jays 1st year i think ans we shuffled QBS  all year.

3. Broken leg this season. 

Thats 3 all unrelated injuries spread out over a career.  That hardly speaks to this notion being put forth that the dude is made out of porcelain. 

On another note I am not sold on his ability to keep the ball out of opposing DBs hands.

27 minutes ago, TheBlueIndian said:

Folks keep referring to Colt as injury prone but thats not exactly fair. Reed and Thompson are injury prone granted they play alot more too but just to be fair Colt is 31 and has had a total of 3 injuries that have sidlined him in his career. 

2. Got nicked up after replacing RG3 I think . It was Jays 1st year i think ans we shuffled QBS  all year.

Thats 3 all unrelated injuries spread out over a career.  That hardly speaks to this notion being put forth that the dude is made out of porcelain. 

On another note I am not sold on his ability to keep the ball out of opposing DBs hands.

Yeah but....those are really the only times he has played? He has done some good things when he has come in as a backup off of the bench. Cowboys game comes to mind. But the guy IS injury prone. And every time he has gotten a chance to start here he has gotten hurt.

8 hours ago, HigSkin said:

I feel sort of the opposite about Rosen. Incredibly smooth mechanics and footwork, great poise in the pocket under pressure, experience in college and now the NFL in a pro style offensive system. Can make bad decisions and force things too much but hopefully that can be tempered with more NFL experience. I think he's an easy plug and play guy who still has lots of room to improve. 

Watching tape of Rosen's 2018 games because he's being talked about so much, and I didn't really watch him much during the season; just looked at his numbers and what others were saying. He's more f a traditional pocket passer, which I like, and his arm strength makes it look like his throws are often effortless. And because the Cards were so bad up front, he did have to take off and run a lot, and he shows just enough athleticism to do this pretty well. I could see how he might be a good fit for what Jay likes to do. His INTs are a concern; he has to improve his judgement.

FOr the hell of it - and because there was so much material about it - I watched a bunch of stuff about his character and his opinions. I actually like how he handles himself in interviews. He's intelligent, and shows he has confidence in himself, and all QBs need that confidence that borders on arrogance. BUt he will have to improve his play to back it up.

I don't know enough about the QBs that could be available to the SKins in the draft, but if we could get Rosen in a trade for the right price, it would be like getting a 1st round QB without actually giving up our 1st, and then we could address other areas at #15. With all the other scenarios that we have for QB in 2019, this might not be so bad, and there's not a lot of risk involved.    

16 hours ago, HigSkin said:

I can totally the see the developmental side of things, though the Dolphins and Giants really don't belong on that list. But the Chargers, Patriots, and Saints do. All 3 having aging QBs who will need to be replaced in the near future. And the opportunity to grab a highly regarded QB on the cheap isn't a bad move for these franchises. The trade-off is that all those teams are in "win now" mode, so the question becomes how many assets do you want to allot to Rosen? And if Rosen has to sit for 2-3 years, he'll eventually just be a free agent before you even know what you have. But I can totally see it making sense, particularly for a team like New England, which has multiple draft picks thanks to compensatory selections.

Of course the caveat is that any of these teams have to actually believe in Rosen. Which is unclear if they actually do.

18 hours ago, TheBlueIndian said:

He hasn't exactly proven health either though. It's one thing to say he hasn't had that many injuries, its another to acknowledge that he's missed games with injuries any time he's been given any playing time. Some of it is perception. They remember McCoy getting hurt in the National Championship game in college (though outside of that, he remained relatively healthy in college). But in the pros? He missed games with injuries in 2010, 2011, 2014, and 2018. The only years he has started games in the NFL are 2010, 2011, 2014, and 2018. The other years he was a back-up and basically didn't play. So it's not a good track record in the NFL. He's never stayed healthy when asked to play.

19 hours ago, TheBlueIndian said:

It is an odd thing to lean on, "sure Colt could start but he won't stay healthy" as if health is what stands in the way from Colt being a starter. Healthy or not his arm strength isn't NFL quality. Which leads to TOs. I have said this a few times but, if the plan is to start the season with Colt we are screwed, whether he stays healthy or not. 

23 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Casserly throwing cold water on all of the Redskins supposed QB crushes?

Based on his track record, one could say Charley Casserly doesn't work hard enough or study enough either.

54 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Casserly throwing cold water on all of the Redskins supposed QB crushes?

The conspiracy theorist in me would not scoff at the notion that he's doing this as a part of the Redskins bidding.

Archived