Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Starting QB 2019???

Renegade7

Who should be the starting QB in 2019???  

402 members have voted

1. 1. Who should be the starting QB in 2019???

• Alex Smith
    • Colt McCoy
    • Trade for a Veteran
    • Sign a Veteran
    • First Round Pick (2019 draft class)
    • Non-First Round Pick (2019 draft class)
    • Too Early to Answer
    • I don't know yet
    • We're screwed (at least at QB for 2019)

I should say at the $3.5M/one year number Keenum is a good move. That's cheap backup money for someone with 2 years of starting experience. 

That makes this a good short term move. If the plan is to bring back Colt, then they can battle for the starting job and if Colt wins we'll have a solid backup. 

If the thinking is to get behind Case the same way we tried to do with Alex Smith last year, then this will come to a sad ending. 

4 hours ago, TheShredder said:

The other major discrepancy was that Case was throwing to Diggs and Theilen in 2017.

Except we currently have no equivalent of either one...

So we're asking a guy that needs good WR to be able to play without giving him WR.

Sounds like a smart plan from our FO once again.

57 minutes ago, UK SKINS FAN '74 said:

Pretty sure those other numbers were the year on year salary cap hits, some of which is left behind with Denver or with Arizona if Rosen moves on.

Yep, Keenum is 3.5 mil for us, Rosen would be ideal, think he'd only count 6.5mil spread over the next THREE years combined. Arizona would eat the 10mil or whatever it was original signing bonus.

We'll have to see how the trade plays out after it becomes official, but per overthecap here's how his deal looks if he's cut or if he's traded (both pre-June 1 and post are the same):

Current Contract

(📝: indicates contract trigger occuring during that year)
Year Age Base Salary Prorated Bonus Roster Bonus   Guaranteed Salary   Cap
Number
Cap %  
Dead Money & Cap Savings
Cut (pre-June 1)Cut (post-June 1)Trade (pre-June 1)Trade (post-June 1)RestructureExtension 
Total   $26,000,000 $6,000,000 $4,000,000   $19,000,000   $36,000,000    
2018 30 $8,000,000 $3,000,000 $4,000,000   $12,000,000   $15,000,000 8.5%      
2019 31 $18,000,000 $3,000,000 $0   $7,000,000   $21,000,000 11.2%  
$10,000,000
$11,000,000

Current Contract

Number
Cap %  
Dead Money & Cap Savings
Cut (pre-June 1)Cut (post-June 1)Trade (pre-June 1)Trade (post-June 1)RestructureExtension 
$3,000,000
$18,000,000

The Way I see it the base salary is still $18M and his total cap number is $21M. Per the 'Dead Money' I'd assume Denver is eating the $10M, so that leaves between $7M and $11M that should count against our cap. 

I like the $3.5M number that's being floated, but I don't know where it's coming from. I'm also wondering if the 'savings' are in relation to who's paying his salary as opposed to actual salary cap space. Maybe Snyder is only paying $3.5M out of pocket, but the cap number is actually higher. 

Anyway, we'll figure it out in time. I'm pretty good with the cap and can't see how that contract turns into only a $3.5M hit for the Skins. 

I'd add, I only care about the cap number. If Snyder saves money, but he does so by sacrificing a limited resource (i.e. cap space) then it works against this team getting better. I have no desire to root for a team that lines a billionaire's pockets while there's less talent on the field.  

Added/Edited: I saw there was a restructuring bonus which has $3.5 of the $7M guaranteed salary paid by the Broncos, leaving the Skins on the hook for the other $3.5M. What I don't know is if this is a cap charge or just money flow (same point as above) or if Keenum restructured to only get his $7M, leaving remaining $11M ($18M base salary, which includes the $7M guaranteed) or if we will be taking on that number. 

18 minutes ago, Unbias said:

We'll have to see how the trade plays out after it becomes official, but per overthecap here's how his deal looks if he's cut or if he's traded (both pre-June 1 and post are the same):

Current Contract

Number
Cap %  
Dead Money & Cap Savings
$10,000,000
$11,000,000

Current Contract

Number
Cap %  
Dead Money & Cap Savings
$3,000,000
$18,000,000

The Way I see it the base salary is still $18M and his total cap number is $21M. Per the 'Dead Money' I'd assume Denver is eating the $10M, so that leaves between $7M and $11M that should count against our cap. 

I like the $3.5M number that's being floated, but I don't know where it's coming from. I'm also wondering if the 'savings' are in relation to who's paying his salary as opposed to actual salary cap space. Maybe Snyder is only paying $3.5M out of pocket, but the cap number is actually higher. 

Anyway, we'll figure it out in time. I'm pretty good with the cap and can't see how that contract turns into only a $3.5M hit for the Skins. 

I'd add, I only care about the cap number. If Snyder saves money, but he does so by sacrificing a limited resource (i.e. cap space) then it works against this team getting better. I have no desire to root for a team that lines a billionaire's pockets while there's less talent on the field.  

He restructured his contract with Denver down to $7.5 million ($4m signing bonus) then Denver traded him to us.

7 minutes ago, nonniey said:

He restructured his contract with Denver down to $7.5 million ($500K signing bonus) then Denver traded him to us.

Thanks. I added that to my post. What happened to the base salary of $18M? Did he choose the $7M guaranteed salary + $500K signing bonus just to ensure he's not cut, meaning he realized he wasn't going to get the other $11M ($18M base salary - $7M roster guarantee), so just took what he could? 

If that's the case this is a weird move by Denver. Why not just negotiate the same deal and not even trade for Flacco? As it stands Flacco still has a $18.5 base salary, so they are taking on a larger cap hit to move from Keenum to Flacco? I know Elway is a bit of a dummy who moves on quickly, but that's just horrible. 

If we did get Keenum for effectively a 1 year, $3.5M deal, then that's a steal for a backup. Seems strange that no other team would have hopped in and bumped up the price a bit. 

SpotracVerified account @spotrac
FollowFollow @spotrac
More

2019 #Redskins QB Cash Payroll Alex Smith: $15M Case Keenum: $3.5M Colt McCoy: $3.5M Washington did well to make the best of a tough situation w/ Smith & McCoy on the mend.

The problem I have is that they are talking about CASH PAYROLL. The cap situation could look a lot worse. For example, Smith's cap number is $20.4M, not the $15M mentioned above. Here's his contract: 

Current Contract

Year Age Base Salary Prorated Bonus Workout Bonus   Guaranteed Salary   Cap
Number
Cap %  
Dead Money & Cap Savings
Total   $83,500,000 $27,000,000 $500,000   $28,000,000   $111,000,000    
2018 34 $13,000,000 $5,400,000 $0   $13,000,000   $18,400,000 10.4%      
2019 📝 35 $15,000,000 $5,400,000 $0   $15,000,000   $20,400,000 10.8%  
$36,600,000
($16,200,000)
2020 36 $16,000,000 $5,400,000 $0   $0   $21,400,000 10.7%  
$16,200,000
$5,200,000
2021 37 $18,750,000 $5,400,000 $250,000   $0   $24,400,000 --  
$10,800,000
$13,600,000
2022 38 $20,750,000 $5,400,000 $250,000   $0   $26,400,000 --  
$5,400,000
$21,000,000

Just now, Unbias said:

I should say at the $3.5M/one year number Keenum is a good move. That's cheap backup money for someone with 2 years of starting experience. 

That makes this a good short term move. If the plan is to bring back Colt, then they can battle for the starting job and if Colt wins we'll have a solid backup. 

If the thinking is to get behind Case the same way we tried to do with Alex Smith last year, then this will come to a sad ending. 

Jay Gruden currently has a raging hard on because he finally gets what he seems to have wanted for a few years: to give Colt McCoy the starting job through training camp to see what he can do.  It should also be noted that Bruce also really likes Colt.  Jay probably wanted to do this last year before Bruce killed his dream by trading for Smith. 

So I doubt there will be much of a competition.  The job is going to Colt.  And I'm fine with that.  Colt vs. Case is like Strawberry Shortcake vs. a cabbage patch kid.  Not really much of a difference, and both are pretty ugly.  

The trade for Case means when Colt inevitably gets hurt before week 4, we don't have to go get Mark Sanchez or Josh Johnson off the street.  The only person this is really bad for is JJ.  He's basically out of a job unless the 'Skins don't draft any QB.  I also am willing to bet there are 3 QBs on the roster in some way, either on the 53 or the practice squad all year  I think they learned their lesson with not having a 3rd arm in the building.

I also don't think this precludes them doing anything in the draft.  They probably weren't trading up to begin with, but if a QB they like is there at 15, they'll take him.  

Bruce and Jay know they need to get into the playoffs this year.  They both seem to think they can do it with Colt.  I disagree.  But Dan has given them the opportunity.  And by getting Case, a QB who got his team to the NFC Championship game 2 years ago, if something happens to Colt, there won't be the "we couldn't compete without a QB" excuse.

I think Bruce is going to make a few bigger splashes in FA this year. I think they all realize they need more weapons on offense, and even when Richardson was healthy, he wasn't the answer by himself.  I hope to God they understand they can't count on Josh Doctson for more than 20-30 catches and 400-ish yards  I think the FO probably also realizes that the Mo-Harris's and such of the world just won't cut it either.  Regardless of what the coaching staff thinks of the try-hard guys, I think Doug and company realize they need more talent.  Doug was clear last year they needed to upgrade at RB.  Even when Jay was waxing poetic about Fat Rob and the other JAGs, and it happened.  

Honestly, on offense, IF they go out and get a #1 WR, and plug the whole with not suck at LG, with the return of Guice and Richardson, they could have an above average offensive group.  It really comes down to the WRs, and if they can keep Reed and CT healthy.  Obviously the biggest splash would be Antonio Brown.  For a minute, let's assume they do that.  

WR1: Brown

WR2: Richardson

WR3: Mr. Irrelevant

TE1: Reed

RB: Guice

LT: Williams

LG somebody not suck

Center: Rouille

RG: Scherff

RT: Moses

QB: Colt/Case

That wouldn't be the worst offensive group in the NFL. If they don't get Brown, but they get a true starting caliber WR with speed, that works also.  

If the defense improves a bit, and they had that grouping on offense, they could win 8-9 games.  I don't think their coaching staff has it in them to win more than 9, but that's a different subject for a different day.  

It's a different story as to whether that's a good plan or not (I say not), but it's possible they could have another 8-8 type season. 

8 minutes ago, Unbias said:

Thanks. I added that to my post. What happened to the base salary of $18M? Did he choose the $7M guaranteed salary + $500K signing bonus just to ensure he's not cut, meaning he realized he wasn't going to get the other $11M ($18M base salary - $7M roster guarantee), so just took what he could? 

If that's the case this is a weird move by Denver. Why not just negotiate the same deal and not even trade for Flacco? As it stands Flacco still has a $18.5 base salary, so they are taking on a larger cap hit to move from Keenum to Flacco? I know Elway is a bit of a dummy who moves on quickly, but that's just horrible. 

If we did get Keenum for effectively a 1 year, $3.5M deal, then that's a steal for a backup. Seems strange that no other team would have hopped in and bumped up the price a bit. 

He waived the $10.5m owed for an additional $500k added to the guaranteed portion.  He wasn't going to make more than $7m this year so essentially got an extra $500k more than he would have been able to make this year.  

34 minutes ago, Wildbunny said:

Except we currently have no equivalent of either one...

So we're asking a guy that needs good WR to be able to play without giving him WR.

Sounds like a smart plan from our FO once again.

I think we're asking Case to just be ready until Colt gets hurt.  

Unless I missed something where somebody said Case was penciled in as the starter  He seems like a fairly cheap insurance policy to Colt to me.  

1 minute ago, nonniey said:

He waived the $10.5m owed for an additional $500k added to the guaranteed portion.  He wasn't going to make more than $7m this year so essentially got an extra $500k more than he would have been able to make this year.  

Seems right. I'm still surprised other teams weren't in on this deal. Why wouldn't a team without a backup be interested in that deal? Get a vet on a 1 year, $3.5M deal. I mean Mike Glennon, who was just cut, was due to make $4 this year. Chase Daniel has a cap hit of $6M this year and Chad Henne has one of $4.1M. There's also big cap savings to be had if a team were to cut a name like Tannehill, Dalton or Taylor and just run with him. 

Anyway, the more I look at this it's a great move. Waiting for all the official numbers to come out on the 18th, but at this time it's a winner. What can make it even better is if Keenum does play well in a stint we might get a comp pick when someone signs him after the season. 

5 hours ago, TheShredder said:

There's been more then a few super bowl winning QBs with less skills then Case.  I watched his Vikings highlights and then last years with Denver... basically Denver's system doesn't fit what Case does well.  The other major discrepancy was that Case was throwing to Diggs and Theilen in 2017.  If you give him a chance to win it includes a system like Jon Gruden's younger brother runs.  He's going to need a true #1 WR to be anything like his best.  

I think a guy like Metcalf would change the whole big picture. 

Skins  have so many issues it just doesn't make sense to make any big moves.  

D.K. Is hugely risky. For all his speed (insane) and physique (I’ll coin a new word, “insaner”), he’s extraordinarily stiff (4th percentile agility), and struggles mightily to stay on the field w/a lengthy collection of injuries. I’d definitely pass, preferring Harry or AJ Brown early and w/Isabella, Butler, Samuel, M Brown, and Harmon who could come at a steep discount after a dissapointing combine. 

33 minutes ago, Unbias said:

Seems right. I'm still surprised other teams weren't in on this deal. Why wouldn't a team without a backup be interested in that deal? Get a vet on a 1 year, $3.5M deal. I mean Mike Glennon, who was just cut, was due to make $4 this year. Chase Daniel has a cap hit of $6M this year and Chad Henne has one of $4.1M. There's also big cap savings to be had if a team were to cut a name like Tannehill, Dalton or Taylor and just run with him. 

Anyway, the more I look at this it's a great move. Waiting for all the official numbers to come out on the 18th, but at this time it's a winner. What can make it even better is if Keenum does play well in a stint we might get a comp pick when someone signs him after the season. 

Because Case could effectively nix any deal that didn't present an opportunity to compete for a starting position by refusing to reduce his $18M salary.  And because he'd like to go the the Super Bowl next year.

17 hours ago, profusion said:

On its own, I like the Keenum trade. Don't know that I want a Rosen deal, though. If AZ wants him out of town that bad, so the Skins really want him?

Based on their GM's recent history, Rosen might turn out to be a superstar. Steve Keim is rapidly approaching worst GM in the league territory. Obviously, Bruce is in his own special category so he doesn't count. I mean something that doesn't get talked about nearly enough is how Bruce traded for Smith without any really input from Jay. That is bonkers. 

The Keenum trade is fine. It doesn't make us a contender, he's a place holder that still gives us a chance to completely bottom out which is exactly what we need.

I'm glad we didn't trade for Rosen. There is a very good chance we completely clean house next year which means the new guy will likely want his own QB and I do think we'll suck enough to get one high in the draft.

1 hour ago, Warhead36 said:

The Keenum trade is fine. It doesn't make us a contender, he's a place holder that still gives us a chance to completely bottom out which is exactly what we need.

I'm glad we didn't trade for Rosen. There is a very good chance we completely clean house next year which means the new guy will likely want his own QB and I do think we'll suck enough to get one high in the draft.

Rosen is still available for trade until the Cards say he isn't and keep him.

59 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

just listened to Craig Hoffman he said he doesn't think they are convinced Lock or Jones could help their win now quest for this season so he doesn't think either is in play for them.  He said they want a blue chipper at #15 who can help them win now.  Will see if that's true.

To me your blue chipper is Rosen at #15.  If they want a QB who can play now he's their guy.  They just have to convince AZ to trade Rosen and I think #15 is worth it.

1 hour ago, RWJ said:

To me your blue chipper is Rosen at #15.  If they want a QB who can play now he's their guy.  They just have to convince AZ to trade Rosen and I think #15 is worth it.

Beat guys are guessing based on what they are being told but its not obviously gospel and as Finlay likes to see thoughts and plans can change versus being stuck in time.  I guess we will find out.  Purely based on what beat guys and national guys have said which isn't much.

Redskins interested at Rosen but won't trade the first rounder for him

Some said they are interested in Lock-Jones.  Hoffman just threw a monkey wrench in that by saying he doesn't think so in spite of said rumors

Some say they like Stidham

They love Murray and are willing to trade up depending on the price

They will sign a veteran (they just did, though traded for him) and also draft or acquire a young QB at some point.  That's been said for weeks.  And the first part of that has happened so we will see if the 2nd part does, too.  If you recall I've been harping that they would get a veteran since it fits more of the win now mindset. 

I am not infatuated with Rosen.  I like his potential but I can also easily see him being a bust based on what I perceive are his flaws.  But regardless I like the idea of trading for him as long as its not for a first rounder.   As for Rosen it all depends on compensation.  I'd love the deal for a third rounder.  I'd like the idea of a 2nd rounder.  I'd hate it for a first rounder.  I'd dislike it if its for two picks like a 2nd-3rd rounder. 

5 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Beat guys are guessing based on what they are being told but its not obviously gospel and as Finlay likes to see thoughts and plans can change versus being stuck in time.  I guess we will find out.  Purely based on what beat guys and national guys have said which isn't much.

Some said they are interested in Lock-Jones.  Hoffman just threw a monkey wrench in that by saying he doesn't think so in spite of said rumors

They will sign a veteran (they just did, though traded for him) and also draft or acquire a young QB at some point.

I am not infatuated with Rosen to the degree that you are.  I like his potential but I can also easily see him being a bust based on what I perceive are his flaws.  But regardless I like the idea of trading for him as long as its for for a first rounder.   As for Rosen it all depends on compensation.  I'd love the deal for a third rounder.  I'd like the idea of a 2nd rounder.  I'd hate it for a first rounder.  I'd dislike it if its for a 2nd-3rd rounder. 

I like Stidham and think it would take a 2nd round pick to get him.  You also mentioned in a post awhile back that he's worked with O' Connell as has Murray.  

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

They will sign a veteran (they just did, though traded for him) and also draft or acquire a young QB at some point.  That's been said for weeks.  And the first part of that has happened so we will see if the 2nd part does, too.  If you recall I've been harping that they would get a veteran since it fits more of the win now mindset. 

I am not infatuated with Rosen.  I like his potential but I can also easily see him being a bust based on what I perceive are his flaws.  But regardless I like the idea of trading for him as long as its not for a first rounder.   As for Rosen it all depends on compensation.  I'd love the deal for a third rounder.  I'd like the idea of a 2nd rounder.  I'd hate it for a first rounder.  I'd dislike it if its for two picks like a 2nd-3rd rounder. 

Last I heard they would be willing to give up a 2020 1st, which is what one dude said they offered

2 minutes ago, JoggingGod said:

Last I heard they would be willing to give up a 2020 1st, which is what one dude said they offered

The only time I heard a 2020 first rounder was one of the beat guys speculating that since they weren't willing to offer a 2019 first rounder at least not according to them in theory -- maybe they'd be willing to offer a first rounder in 2020.  I don't think the Redskins or anyone else has presented an offer, yet. 

I think I was actually the person who threw that theory on this same thread days ago.  But that's all it was a theory from a beat guy.

Archived