Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Starting QB 2019???

Renegade7

Who should be the starting QB in 2019???  

402 members have voted

1. 1. Who should be the starting QB in 2019???

• Alex Smith
    • Colt McCoy
    • Trade for a Veteran
    • Sign a Veteran
    • First Round Pick (2019 draft class)
    • Non-First Round Pick (2019 draft class)
    • Too Early to Answer
    • I don't know yet
    • We're screwed (at least at QB for 2019)

On 3/10/2019 at 6:34 AM, Jericho said:

Because Keenum had to agree to it. Keenum voluntarily waived $10 million of salary to come here. I think he did so because he believes the can start here. That won't be true virtually anywhere else. So I doubt Keenum would cooperate with a trade to virtually any other team and they'd have to take on his full $17 million salary

Keenum had a $7M guarantee. He was not getting anymore than that - he was cut absent a trade.

So to make the trade happen the Broncos paid him a $500K bonus and half the $7M he is due is being paid by them the other half by us. So Keenum actually made $500K to move here.

On 3/8/2019 at 1:07 PM, JoggingGod said:

OMG are people here really defending Keenum starting this year?

He sucks. You saw it last year. Just admit the team doesn’t know what they’re doing if he’s their plan.

Our starting QB got a career ending injury with a boat load of guaranteed money, not many teams would be able to come back form that. 

Tress Way!

On ESPN's First Take on Tuesday morning, Smith ran through the list of signal callers the 'Skins used in 2018. Problem is, he or whoever does his research for him, well, did not do very good research for him.

"When you look at the Redskins last year, they had five different quarterbacks," he said, which is 1 million percent wrong. 

"Alex Smith, Josh Johnson, Colt McCoy, they even got Mr. Butt Fumble himself, Mark Sanchez, OK? And some guy named Tress Way actually started one game," he continued, which — again — is 1 million percent wrong.

https://www.nbcsports.com/washington/redskins/stephen-smith-called-tress-way-quarterback-and-tress-way-loving-it

7 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Which 100% means they want to move on from Rosen.  Because if Rosen is your guy, you would not be pleased that he would not know that and you dont play games with his head pretending you are ditching him and taking another guy 1st overall.

6. That doesn’t mean there wasn’t anything interesting to come out of these meetings, of course. Here’s one nugget: The Cardinals appear to be in the market for a veteran backup quarterback. On the front end, that could land Mike Glennon on the chopping block. On the back end, I’d pay attention—if it does happen—to what style of backup quarterback they bring in, because it could give us a tell into their plans re: Josh Rosen/Kyler Murray. And I can tell you one guy they’ve kicked tires on is Seattle’s Brett Hundley, which will only add fuel to the Murray-is-going-No. 1 fire.

I thought this was a really good and pretty fair critique/film review of Rosen.

TL;DR version: Rosen had some issue with reaction time and processing fast enough, some issues with batted balls, and taking some sacks he should have avoided. But he also had an absolutely horrendous OL and horrendous play calling that contributed in a major way. He made some really bad but also some really good plays. Definitely not a lost cause. Issues were those that are not uncommon for rookies. He thinks with decent coaching (including non-terrible play calling), a bit more experience, and fixing some small things that Rosen could be a great QB. Thinks he's actually pretty close to being a really good NFL QB. 

If Bruce is there, and we are about to see one way or another at 10 am, it would make me start to wonder.  Finlay seems a bit on an island on this but he seems to think trading up for Murray is on the table if he becomes up for grabs in a trade up.  

That makes deciphering fact from fiction this time of year all the more difficult. And, to some, like Keim, the smokescreen has become an art.

"I think the biggest thing really is everybody's trying to figure out what you're doing this time of year," Panthers coach Ron Rivera said at this year's combine. "But it really starts to play once you start going out on the road and visiting players or bringing players in the closer you get to the draft. I think it's important because you can't let people know what you want because they'll try to jeopardize it. So, it is important."

Since he was promoted to general manager in 2013, Keim has been open about his misdirection, which worked especially well in tandem with former Cardinals and current Buccaneers coach Bruce Arians.

In 2014, Arians said Arizona wouldn't draft a quarterback. It took Logan Thomas in the fourth round.

"I lie pretty good," Arians said then.

That same year, Keim said this about his draft: "I told you we're the only two you can believe." And Arians added: "Truth kills, baby."

A year later, in 2015, Arians said, "You tell the truth and everybody thinks you're lying."

So, maybe, just maybe, Kingsbury was telling the truth on Feb. 12, when he said Rosen was "our guy."

He backed it up at the combine.

"The talent is obviously there," Kingsbury said of Rosen. "He's very cerebral and I just like the way he fought at the end of the year through some adverse conditions. He never turned it down, he continued to get up and he continued to fight and compete his tail off until the end."

But, maybe, Keim's comment on Feb. 27 at the combine was true, too.

"It's still early in the process," he said. "We still haven't gone through a full evaluation, so it's too early to say."

What's the value in Keim deceiving the media and the public? Making the rest of the league think the Cardinals are heavily interested in Murray would drive up the price of the first pick for a team that would want him.

If the Cardinals are, in fact, looking to shop Rosen, they haven't done so yet. According to ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter, teams made overtures into Rosen's availability at the combine but the Cardinals did not show any signs they were open to trading the quarterback -- at least not yet -- and had not responded to them as of last week.

Teams that could be potential landing spots for Rosen include: the New York Giants and Miami Dolphins. The market has shrunk too as the Washington Redskins are trading for Case Keenum and the Jacksonville Jaguars will signNick Foles. And with all that, a potential pursuit of Rosen could be cooled. Then, again, it could not.

Whether the Cardinals decide to use the No. 1 pick or trade it, Keim said at the combine he believes it has plenty of value.

"I think every year it's different but to me there are several players who really warrant the No. 1 pick," Keim said of this draft. "Enough guys that I think there is a lot of value in this pick right now."

Whether or not that's more sleight of hand is yet to be determined.

NY could be a good landing spot for Rosen if he's gonna get dealt. Working with Shurmur would be phenomenal for his development, and Mike Shula runs a very good offense. Rosen could sit for a year behind Eli and get the tutelage he needs, and the kid could be ready to roll for the 2020 season. Just a thought. Getting OBJ outta there minimizes drama and complications for a young QB. I'd keep an eye on how the G-Men approach this.

1 minute ago, skinzplay said:

NY could be a good landing spot for Rosen if he's gonna get dealt. Working with Shurmur would be phenomenal for his development, and Mike Shula runs a very good offense. Rosen could sit for a year behind Eli and get the tutelage he needs, and the kid could be ready to roll for the 2020 season. Just a thought. Getting OBJ outta there minimizes drama and complications for a young QB. I'd keep an eye on how the G-Men approach this.

Oh yes getting rid of a hall of fame WR will TOTALLY help a young QB...

2 minutes ago, JoggingGod said:

Oh yes getting rid of a hall of fame WR will TOTALLY help a young QB...

Dude is a headcase; a talented headcase, but a headcase nonetheless. The offense they're going to be running in NY doesn't need OBJ, and they're putting together a completely different kind of offensive attack. I hope it fails miserably, of course, but I think they did the right thing by dealing him to Cleveland.

14 hours ago, mistertim said:

I thought this was a really good and pretty fair critique/film review of Rosen.

TL;DR version: Rosen had some issue with reaction time and processing fast enough, some issues with batted balls, and taking some sacks he should have avoided. But he also had an absolutely horrendous OL and horrendous play calling that contributed in a major way. He made some really bad but also some really good plays. Definitely not a lost cause. Issues were those that are not uncommon for rookies. He thinks with decent coaching (including non-terrible play calling), a bit more experience, and fixing some small things that Rosen could be a great QB. Thinks he's actually pretty close to being a really good NFL QB. 

My concern with Rosen is he didn't all of a sudden throw into double coverage and make bad decisions in Arizona.  From the games I watched it was part of the soup in college, too.  He could get away with some of that in college -- tougher to do so in the pros.  So to me the big question about him is does he has one of RG3's weakness where he just can't see the field well or is it a Rex Grossman inner gun slinger personality.  If its the later, I think it can be fixed.  If its the former, I wonder.

I am not as down on his personality as some are.  But when you read Mora say that he gets bored in meetings because he's so smart and needs to be challenged -- it feels a little comical to me considering from what I watched Rosen's issues are very intellectually driven in that its about making really bad decisions.  So taking the right gambles and knowing how defenses are trying to trap you.  That makes me wonder what Casserly said about his lazy streak.  It doesn't sound crazy to me that he's not a preparation hound considering how he plays which in short to me looks like for a guy who is supposedly so smart he doesn't seem to play smart. 

I am no expert but that's my amateur take on it from watching 6 combined games of his.   I've been reading Arians' book about QBs, and he's obsessed with the work ethics of QBs.  He says even if you are mega talented you just can't play well in the NFL if you aren't a film rat because defensive coordinators are too smart and spend too much time to try to foil offense -- and your QB has to match wits with that to have a chance. 

I love the dude's footwork, release, toughness in the pocket.  He looks picture perfect as for his throwing motion albeit his accuracy IMO is just good and not great.  And I think his elusiveness in the pocket is underrated.   But it wouldn't shock me if he ends up being a take a lot of sacks, 12-15 INT, 8 fumble guy a year.  I think he has the potential to me to be a mess as a turnover machine.  Can Jay coach that out of him?  don't know.  but if they think they can, I am more than cool going on that ride if they can do it for less than a first rounder. 

24 minutes ago, skinzplay said:

Dude is a headcase; a talented headcase, but a headcase nonetheless. The offense they're going to be running in NY doesn't need OBJ, and they're putting together a completely different kind of offensive attack. I hope it fails miserably, of course, but I think they did the right thing by dealing him to Cleveland.

Teams can just stack against Barkley now and that offense shuts down since nobody else is really a threat. I don’t see at all how tearing the largest part of your offense helps them.

9 minutes ago, Hooper said:

Giants gonna trade up for Murray. That's the latest rumor. And that the Rosen stuff is all a smokescreen. Giants coaches and front office out in force at his pro day.

I'm inclined to agree. Been thinking that way recently, looks a lot more plausible now I think.

Archived