Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Starting QB 2019???

Renegade7

Who should be the starting QB in 2019???  

402 members have voted

1. 1. Who should be the starting QB in 2019???

• Alex Smith
    • Colt McCoy
    • Trade for a Veteran
    • Sign a Veteran
    • First Round Pick (2019 draft class)
    • Non-First Round Pick (2019 draft class)
    • Too Early to Answer
    • I don't know yet
    • We're screwed (at least at QB for 2019)

I am good with this trade.  But am also good with people here who say get off the mediocrity treadmill and get young at QB.   I just think they are likely jumping the gun.  My gut is that they do it this year and if not they will likely be forced to do it next year.  So either way i am good,

I recall some Keenum in the mix of rumors from Keim.  I'll see if i can dig it up when I get a chance but I recall in one podcast he threw his name out in the mix.  He was more hyped about Bridgewater but he admitted they didn't say that to him as a leak -- he just knew they liked him last year so he thought it might have relevance this time, too. 

But even if the beat guys were totally shocked by Keenum, its not like they snuck up on the league and pulled off some gem that the whole league is jealous about where if others knew the bidding would be intense.   And this is coming from someone who likes the deal.   The idea of playing subterfuge with the media was started with Shanny.  He and apparently Bruce love secrecy.  That's fine with me.  I don't give a rats behind about how secretive this FO is or not.  And they aren't that secretive because the names leaked before the draft as to the guys they liked -- that ended up to be true.   

Brewer writes a good article here about Keenum exemplifies their mastery of mediocrity.  I disagree with him about the example -- I think its premature because we can't assume that they are stopping at Keenum.  But I do agree with his point about escaping the treadwell of mediocrity.   And IMO the most important way to do it is to get a young QB and not worry about getting it wrong.   Heck even the national show, GMF, who typically likes the Redskins goofed on the mediocrity game on their show today.

I personally do not need to be amused with off season excitement stuff.  And I'll give them this -- at least as far as rumors they are in the thick of a lot.  That is a change.  In recent years, they've been low key in the off season and ditto as for rumors about their activity aside from Calais Campbell early on but that faded fast.  This time it feels different - will see if its all smoke and no fire soon enough.   

The team has fans like us who live and die with this stuff and will dissect every pass from Josh Johnson.  But I do think for the more casual fan who is essential for them to sell tickets and get TV ratings who seem to be more disinterested in this team than ever -- I think Dan will feel the need to give them red meat on something.  My take is I'd rather that red meat be something that builds this team for the future.  That is, a young QB.  

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/redskins/hello-mediocrity-the-redskins-old-friend-case-keenum-will-dance-with-you-again/2019/03/07/03d04560-414b-11e9-9361-301ffb5bd5e6_story.html?utm_term=.68de6c2648ed

...In the context of a Washington franchise that has gone 31-32-1 over the past four seasons and made just one playoff appearance, it’s a concerning move because the franchise keeps sentencing itself to mediocrity without sufficiently pursuing options that might improve its future. The Redskins are afraid to start over, at quarterback and in general.

They have convinced themselves that they are a few lucky breaks, a few healthier players and a few smart moves from being a playoff team. But they’re focusing their eyes on the illusion of NFL parity. All teams can talk themselves into the idea that they’re close in a league of small margins. But when a franchise comes up short for three straight seasons, it is more of a high-end bad team than one at the doorstep of good. The real contenders are not the ones imagining ways they could have been 10-6. The real contenders are the ones confident that 10-6 is merely their floor.

Washington has a bad habit of overvaluing its talent and getting too excited about making basic moves. 

Washington needs to draft or trade for a promising young quarterback. Acquiring Keenum means it doesn’t have to use its first-round pick to do so, but the search must continue. If there is a quarterback the scouts love in the second or third round in this draft, the franchise shouldn’t hesitate to take him. If Arizona drafts Kyler Murray No. 1 overall and decides to trade Josh Rosen, Washington should pursue a deal, especially since it’s no longer so desperate for a starter that the Cardinals can use it as leverage to demand the No. 15 pick. If Arizona picks Murray, Rosen is likely to net a second-rounder, no matter how much the Cardinals will want a first. A potential Washington-Arizona conversation could be more fair and honest now that there is no urgent need.

Washington also could wait and look to the 2020 draft. If many highly regarded college quarterbacks continue to progress, that class will be loaded with prospects. Whatever the franchise decides on timing, it must prioritize having a quality young quarterback within the next two offseasons. Otherwise, the Redskins’ refusal to take a risk will undermine their building efforts and elongate this mediocrity sentence.

...They should have started over at quarterback a year ago after deciding not to overpay Cousins. Instead, they went all-in on Smith..

Ultimately, the 2019 season figures to end with Washington in the same place it has been for four years. Okay. Just okay. Not a disaster but not a team moving in any direction.

...But after four years of mediocrity, it’s getting harder and harder for this team to sell close, without any tangible hope for a payoff. It will feel like settling. At quarterback and in everything the Redskins do, they need to prove they haven’t lost their ambition.

Expect the Redskins to add another quarterback -- and keep three after last season’s emergency scenario. That won’t be Josh Johnson unless the Redskins shed McCoy, do not add a young passer or keep four quarterbacks. The last two scenarios are not credible.

Contracts for Keenum and McCoy expire after this coming season. Washington has enough draft ammo to add Rosen’s rookie contract from the Cardinals. The 10th pick in the 2018 draft, Rosen would arguably be the top QB in the 2019 class. Buzz has Arizona ready to move on with Murray its target with the first overall selection in April’s draft.

Otherwise, the Redskins could consider a QB at 15 or more likely one somewhere between rounds 2-4.

It would be a fun story and a needed PR boost if a young option emerged as the starter next season. Maybe that happens. By adding Keenum, the Redskins don’t need to rush that process.

Whatever you think of the move, it wasn’t a major surprise. Bruce Allen even foreshadowed the deal last week when asked about reports that the Redskins were interested in Flacco.

“We were never involved in Flacco,” Allen said at the Combine. “We’re looking at free agency, I don’t think it’s any secret that there's players being offered in trades from other teams. We’ve listened to that. We feel good where we’re at.”

They feel better after adding Keenum, a move that does more than just bolster their quarterback depth chart, though probably doesn’t alter their 2019 ceiling much.  

https://www.nbcsports.com/washington/redskins/what-redskins-accomplished-trading-case-keenum-right-now

Brown not going to Buffalo, some insiders said he had no say because of what the salesman told them. What a shocking turn of events. Random things just keep happening. Very weird. It is almost as if.... he does have a say. Huh. 

In QB related events, I think Josh Rosen or Drew Lock may our guy, if you look at the trend in Washington, we appear to favor QBs with first names that are 4 characters in length. The evidence is compelling.

4 hours ago, veteranskinsfan said:

Regardless if you like getting Chase or not something at Redskins Park is being handled differently if you look at HOW they fooled the national media and How the local media was fooled.  For weeks it was different stories about Teddy Bridgewater, then about Murray, and then we were going after the Duke quarterback and recently Casserly's comments about Murray.  (Charlie if you were secretly trying to help your old team out and take one for the Gipper- many thanks) No local media said we were on the trail for Chase.  No national media said Skins were after Chase.   They also made every attempt at the Combine to fool local media as well.   I think Gruden got the guy he wanted and he will sink or swim with Chase and Colt now.   There was even a nutty story about both Grudens helping each other to get a quarterback Skins wanted.  When I got a call last night at 9 pm from California telling me that we got Chase I was actually in a good mood because the media was clueless.  Then I heard a video clip that Brian Mitchell said we could not get him despite the sudden rumor because he would cost too much I again got a good laugh.   Usually I like what Mitchell says but on this one move he was wrong and caught off guard with the way we acquired Chase.    Someone in that front office or coaching dept. is also laughing today at Redskins Park and the media got played significantly.

FYI, it's Case, not Chase.

6 hours ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

No, it didn’t.  It was the absolute most Smith and his agent could possibly get.  I don’t blame them for that in the least but there was no meeting in the middle.  They had Bruce right where they wanted him and needed him to be, desperate.  

We’ve gone round and round on this— It appears I value the yearly cap hit percentages much more than yourself. The Skins goal appeared to be keeping Smiths deal in the 10% range throughout the deal. Smith received some long term stability with extension. Also, the longer the deal the more leverage the team gets later. 

Skins get a yearly QB contract that will be in the 15-20 range among QBs and Alex got Long term stability. 

Hes damaged goods now. Need more talent at the QB spot. 

2 hours ago, heyholetsgogrant said:

I think it's unfair to compare Alex Smith to a QB bubble. Alex had a ton of success in the league and led multiple teams to the playoffs (5 times) and made very few mistakes.  He was 6-3 here before he got hurt.  Case is the overpaid one, he had a short good run and everyone jumped on the bandwagon. 

Average to above QBs are getting way overpaid, especially in last 3-4 years, that market bubble seems to have popped. 

I think the Alex deal is fair. Don’t believe either side won the deal. Others disagree though. 

9 minutes ago, wit33 said:

We’ve gone round and round on this— It appears I value the yearly cap hit percentages much more than yourself. The Skins goal appeared to be keeping Smiths deal in the 10% range throughout the deal. Smith received some long term stability with extension. Also, the longer the deal the more leverage the team gets later. 

Skins get a yearly QB contract that will be in the 15-20 range among QBs and Alex got Long term stability. 

My point was primarily that you made it sound as if there was some meeting in the middle on the contract.  He got the best possible deal that he was going to get.  The cap hit percentage has nothing to do with the fact that he got the most possible guaranteed $ he could get.  To imply they met in the middle, makes it sound as if Alex left money on the table to get a deal done here, which is not the case.  Nor should it be.

33 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

My point was primarily that you made it sound as if there was some meeting in the middle on the contract.  He got the best possible deal that he was going to get.  The cap hit percentage has nothing to do with the fact that he got the most possible guaranteed $ he could get.  To imply they met in the middle, makes it sound as if Alex left money on the table to get a deal done here, which is not the case.  Nor should it be.

There was certainly a meeting at the middle on his contract. Every metric you look up he’s at the bottom tier of veteran QB pay, if not the bottom. When factoring how crazy the QB market has been in previous years this deal is representative of both parties coming together on a deal. 

Smith himself stated not getting max money. Was unable to find quote, but 100% certain he mentioned something to this effect. 

Now, if you didn’t like the move, Smith or to

give him a long term deal, then that’s your opinion steering the discussion. 

Fot example, I never was a Smith supporter and was just okay with deal and feel Smith is an average to above QB depending on the year (my opinion), but with what the market was paying this kind of player, Smith’s deal was fair when applying numbers and comparisons to discussion (fact). 

7 minutes ago, Newera said:

How bad an offensive coach was Jeff Fisher.   At one time he had Foles.  Keenum .  And Goff as quarterbacks.   All bombed.   All have had decent success once away.  Coaching matters.

That's almost as bad as that team that featured Mike Shanahan, Kyle Shanahan, Sean McVay, and Matt LaFleur and only made the playoffs once and ended up in last place in the NFCEast 3 out of 4 seasons after trading away a ton of picks for a player who never made it through the playoffs

Oh, dammit...

Reading the AZ Cards forums is quite amusing.  They mostly have a high opinion of Rosen and don't want to trade him but if Murray is picked, want at least a 1st in the trade with most wanting more.  LOL

Example comments -

1. "I personally will be fine with any 1st rounder, followed by a very high second rounder. I would also do a "Next Year's #1" option if is presents itself in the right situation."
  2. "We drafted him at #10 so, #10 or higher...but maybe 12..".
  3. "Nothing less than a first, regardless of pundits saying nothing higher than a third."

9 hours ago, markmills67 said:

I have a quick question about Alec Smith's contract, if the Redskins designated Smith with a post June cut in 2020 could they split his 20m cap hit due in 2020 into 10m each for 2020/2021?.

His cap hit this year is $20.4m; in 2020 it will be $21.4m.  We will still have $10.8m of cap hit to take after that.  Total $51.6m.

Depending on when we cut him and how we designate it, we can stretch that $51.6m cap hit to 2022, or we can take it all this year, or anything in between.

There's a slight advantage to stretching out the cap hits as far as possible, because future money is worth a little less than present money.  But no matter how you slice it, the Redskins are going to have $50M less to play with over the next four years.

I think Case Keenum is good QB and he proved he could win in Minnesota. I also like the fact Keenum appears to have a much more psychical frame than Rosen and could withstand the punishment of a patchwork O line should the injury bug plague us once again. Bottom line, Im happy Keenum is a Washington Redskin. He is a MASSIVE upgrade over Colt McCoy and and proven he can win in this league unlike Rosen.

58 minutes ago, Skins Skeptic said:

I think Case is better than Alex, but I'm not a fan of Alex. KC is better though, IMO. 😐

Agreed

Archived