Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Starting QB 2019???

Renegade7

Who should be the starting QB in 2019???  

402 members have voted

1. 1. Who should be the starting QB in 2019???

• Alex Smith
    • Colt McCoy
    • Trade for a Veteran
    • Sign a Veteran
    • First Round Pick (2019 draft class)
    • Non-First Round Pick (2019 draft class)
    • Too Early to Answer
    • I don't know yet
    • We're screwed (at least at QB for 2019)

I'm okay with this move. I was kind of excited for Josh Rosen (because it has been a while since we have had a "young QB" starting ), but I don't understand the meltdown from some fans. 

With the recent success of Mahomes and Lamar Jackson I think teams are going to go back to the days of letting rookies sit for some games and learn. Even if the Redskins don't get Rosen they still have an opportunity to draft Murray, Lock, Jones, or Grier and let them sit for some games or a full season if they are not ready to start .

19 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

Jus what we need, another first round wide receiver.  What I know is tis the season of "what the hell, Case Keenum?" And the Redskins arent in the AFC.  I want to agree with you that's its too early to call their shots for them, I just don't see them trading for CK and cutting Jays adopted son Colt in the same offseason.  Case is gonna start because McCoy can't stay healthy, how many QBs were carrying if we still haven't released Alex yet?

I doubt they take a WR in the first.   If I had to bet on a position on the first it would be pass rusher or QB depending on who falls.  (Ferrell, Burns, Lock, D. Jones, etc)  The sweet spot for receiver this year seems to be in the 2nd-3rd round. 

Just listened to Hoffman he doubled down that their plan was to add a veteran AND a young QB.  I guess we are about to find out. 

2 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I doubt they take a WR in the first.   If I had to bet on a position on the first it would be pass rusher or QB depending on who falls.  (Ferrell, Burns, Lock, D. Jones, etc)  The sweet spot for receiver this year seems to be in the 2nd-3rd round. 

Just listened to Hoffman he doubled down that their plan was to add a veteran AND a young QB.  I guess we are about to find out. 

Find out in the draft?

Washington could still add another quarterback. The Redskins could just as easily draft one in the third round -- or find one in the first. The feeling at Redskins Park: Nothing at this point is off the table. Or, yes, trade for Josh Rosen -- with his $1.2 million cap hit if traded, he's affordable. There's still mystery surrounding what Arizona will do with the first pick, which means Rosen might not even be available. The Redskins know this. By making this move, the Redskins buy themselves insurance and can exhale, knowing they have at least one other guy who can play along with McCoy.

They could have pursued a quarterback such as Teddy Bridgewater, but it's doubtful he would have signed for less than he got last year -- $6 million. And he would not have been the guaranteed starter ahead of McCoy.

This trade also allows them to keep their heavy draft capital if they wanted to make a move for receiver Antonio Brown. They'd still have to clear more cap space, but in theory if they wanted to give their first-round pick for Brown they could. Or they can keep trying to build through the draft and use all nine picks.

Trading for Keenum won't guarantee Washington anything. Who knows which version the Redskins will get: the Vikings one or the Broncos one? But they wanted -- needed -- insurance and that's what they got. Now they can still plan another move.

http://www.espn.com/blog/washington-redskins/post/_/id/38229/case-keenum-gives-redskins-insurance-young-qb-still-needed

That's Keim above. I hope Russini is right though and they are out on A. Brown. 

There is a part of me that is really amused by the idea that the Vikings and Redskins swapped QBs (albeit one year removed)  I liked Keenum two years ago and thought he got a raw deal from the Vikings (sort of a Trent Dilfer the grass is always greener kind of deal). I don't know that he can be a hero here, but it's not the worst rabbit out of a hat move if you felt you had to make one.

Still, I was anticipating the Redskins going 4-12 next year. I'm still not sure they don't.

3 minutes ago, RWJ said:

Find out in the draft?

If the Arizona reporters are right and the Cardinals haven't made up their mind yet then we don't even know if Rosen gets on the trading block.  And if Finlay is correct they have some interest in trading up for Murray, too.  So I am gathering once Arizona makes up their mind whenever that is -- that could be as domino for the Redskins.  Otherwise go Zen with the draft -- go BPA and if a QB falls in your lap that you like take the dude.  If not, don't.  

6 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

My thing is our WR depth is so bad I don't want a third rounder and day we "addressed it", especially if Crowder leaves.  I don't see a first round WR in our plans either...

6 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

You're last quote just you sounds like us trying to be mysterious, probably trying to trade down as we speak.

4 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

My thing is our WR depth is so bad I don't want a third rounder and day we "addressed it", especially if Crowder leaves.  I don't see a first round WR in our plans either...

You're last quote just you sounds like us trying to be mysterious, probably trying to trade down as we speak.

It's a rare deep draft at receiver where I think they can get a good one.  But I get your point.  But again if they stink and go 5-11 then it likely boots out Bruce and they are in position to land a franchise QB without giving up the store.    As long as they don't dump 2020 picks, then I think this off season sets up as a win win.  Either they figure it out or they don't.  There is an upside to other scene IMO. 

OK I've read the last 4 pages but only one person mentioned it and no one responded. Keenum's salary for 2019 was $18 million. The $7 million was the guaranteed portion of his salary and that was what was split,  The Bronco's paid an additional bonus of $500K to Keenum for this deal.

Questions

- What was the $500K for? 

- What did Keenum agree to?

- What is his 2019 salary?

I'm assuming he agreed to reduce his salary substantially because if not,  then no and ifs or buts, this would be the most boneheaded trade in NFL history as there was no way any team would pay Keenum $14 miilion this year once he was cut by the Broncos (never-mind paying a draft pick to do so). 

3 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

If the Arizona reporters are right and the Cardinals haven't made up their mind yet then we don't even know if Rosen gets on the trading block.  And if Finlay is correct they have some interest in trading up for Murray, too.  So I am gathering once Arizona makes up their mind whenever that is -- that could be as domino for the Redskins.  Otherwise go Zen with the draft -- go BPA and if a QB falls in your lap that you like take the dude.  If not, don't.  

Makes a lot of sense.  That one tweet was interesting about Keenum/KK connection and a 3rd for Rosen.  Don't know how relevant that is but think your right about waiting to see what AZ does because he comes from the KK system which fit Keenum well and would fit Murray well too.  I might be nuts.  LOL

2 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

It's a rare deep draft at receiver where I think they can get a good one.  But I get your point.  But again if they stink and go 5-11 then it likely boots out Bruce and they are in position to land a franchise QB without giving up the store.  

That's a best case worst case scenario, you know that, right? : )

N'keal Harry at 15, trade both 3rd rounders for Rosen...

He's a top 10 pick and he made Manny Wilkins JR look decent...  Just like Fitz made a bunch of mediocre QB's look good.

If Cards lose Rosen, I'd be happy with giving up a 2nd...

One of the most common reactions to the Redskins reportedly picking up Case Keenum was: Does this mean the team is out on Josh Rosen?

The answer is no.

Sure, the fact that Washington is expected to add the ex-Bronco once the new league year starts probably lowers the chance of a Rosen acquisition somewhat. But it definitely doesn't eliminate it.

In Keenum, the 'Skins are getting a passer that's very similar to Colt McCoy — a guy who can be good in stretches, but not someone you'd confuse for a long-term solution under center.

Rosen, on the other hand, could certainly be that kind of answer. However, getting him from Arizona would require much more compensation, and it's not entirely clear whether Arizona will truly deal him. Going after him is a good idea, but it's still just that: an idea.

Keenum, on the other hand, was never going to stick around in Denver after Joe Flacco arrived. So, the Redskins were able to get him for a very low cost — both money-wise and trade-wise—  and guarantee that they'd enter 2019 with at least one new option under center.

Whether that option is a legit one is certainly up for debate, seeing as the 31-year-old has largely been mediocre outside of one brilliant campaign with the Vikings. But at the very minimum, the team now has competition for Colt McCoy, someone who's been up-and-down in his own right and who gets injured often.

Overall, the Keenum trade makes sense, even if it's not that rich in potential or very exciting. Now, if you're a fan looking for something more inspiring, such as a swap for Rosen, you should still have hope for one. 

https://www.nbcsports.com/washington/redskins/case-keenum-reportedly-becoming-redskin-josh-rosen-can-still-come-dc-too

14 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

That's a best case worst case scenario, you know that, right? : )

I sure do.  Have you read my posts on the Bruce thread?  😀

13 minutes ago, IONTOP said:

N'keal Harry at 15, trade both 3rd rounders for Rosen...

He's a top 10 pick and he made Manny Wilkins JR look decent...  Just like Fitz made a bunch of mediocre QB's look good.

If Cards lose Rosen, I'd be happy with giving up a 2nd...

I like N'Keal but I haven't seen him in any mock top 15.  Granted mocks can be wrong.  But I think you can trade down to the late first and still get him.   The one WR I see top 15 is typically Metcalf and on occasion Marquise Brown.  But you can also get later on Deebo Samuel, H. Butler, Arcega-Whiteside, AJ Brown, T. Mclaurin, etc.  It's stacked at receiver.  I wouldn't take anyone at 15.   It's looking like an historic draft for D line and edge rusher -- and there is a good chance one lands right in our lap.  

11 minutes ago, nonniey said:

OK I've read the last 4 pages but only one person mentioned it and no one responded. Keenum's salary for 2019 was $18 million. The $7 million was the guaranteed portion of his salary and that was what was split,  The Bronco's paid an additional bonus of $500K to Keenum for this deal.

Questions

- What was the $500K for? 

- What did Keenum agree to?

- What is his 2019 salary?

I'm assuming he agreed to reduce his salary substantially because if not,  then no and ifs or buts, this would be the most boneheaded trade in NFL history as there was no way any team would pay Keenum $14 miilion this year once he was cut by the Broncos (never-mind paying a draft pick to do so). 

Again, what is being reported is he'll receive 7.5 mil total for 2019. But he was already guaranteed 7 mil, so he would have gotten that much if he was cut and chose to sit home on his couch all year.

Basically, he could have been cut, signed somewhere for the league minimum and gotten 7.93 mil, but we're being told he accepted 7.5 mil to go to Washington. Either I'm really missing something, or there is something not being reported correctly or fully.

Did Robert Griffin III just take a shot at the Redskins for the Case Keenum trade?

Is it feeling a little shady in here? Because it sure feels like someone just threw some shade.

Minutes after the Redskins reportedly finalized a trade for Case Keenum, ex-Washington QB Robert Griffin III sent out a tweet that was too timely and too snarky NOT to be a shot at his old franchise:

On a feed of mostly weird, vague cliches that are supposed to be inspirational, this tweet stands out thanks to the sarcasm. Anyone else fired up for some random Case Keenum-RG3 beef?

https://www.nbcsports.com/washington/redskins/did-robert-griffin-iii-just-take-shot-redskins-case-keenum-trade

45 minutes ago, skinsfan35yrs. said:

I like that kid from Clemson, Trevor Lawrence

I hope we're not out on Lawrence.  I already got a custom with his name on the back, and bought a long hair surfer wig to wear on game day.  You can say I'm crazy, betting on long shot, no guarantee that we'll get him.  I prefer to think positive.

3 minutes ago, Rufus T Firefly said:

Again, what is being reported is he'll receive 7.5 mil total for 2019. But he was already guaranteed 7 mil, so he would have gotten that much if he was cut and chose to sit home on his couch all year.

Basically, he could have been cut, signed somewhere for the league minimum and gotten 7.93 mil, but we're being told he accepted 7.5 mil to go to Washington. Either I'm really missing something, or there is something not being reported correctly or fully.

Found  it (it wasn't reported here). Yes a good deal.

https://www.rotoworld.com/football/nfl/player-news/headlines#news-8887046

For his troubles, Keenum is getting a $500,000 "restructure bonus" on top of his $7 million salary. To facilitate a trade, the Broncos have agreed to pay half of that. Keenum has agreed to waive the non-guaranteed $10.5 million he had been owed. It is probably the best Keenum and the Broncos could have hoped for. As for the Redskins, Keenum is an improvement on Colt McCoy but not much else. It's a decidedly modest Alex Smith fallback plan. Keenum predictably crash landed last season after his magical 2017 with the Vikings. It is going to be a long year in Washington.

2 minutes ago, nonniey said:

Found  it (it wasn't reported here). Yes a good deal.

https://www.rotoworld.com/football/nfl/player-news/headlines#news-8887046

For his troubles, Keenum is getting a $500,000 "restructure bonus" on top of his $7 million salary. To facilitate a trade, the Broncos have agreed to pay half of that. Keenum has agreed to waive the non-guaranteed $10.5 million he had been owed. It is probably the best Keenum and the Broncos could have hoped for. As for the Redskins, Keenum is an improvement on Colt McCoy but not much else. It's a decidedly modest Alex Smith fallback plan. Keenum predictably crash landed last season after his magical 2017 with the Vikings. It is going to be a long year in Washington.

I refer back to my previous post.

Archived