Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Starting QB 2019???

Renegade7

Who should be the starting QB in 2019???  

402 members have voted

1. 1. Who should be the starting QB in 2019???

• Alex Smith
    • Colt McCoy
    • Trade for a Veteran
    • Sign a Veteran
    • First Round Pick (2019 draft class)
    • Non-First Round Pick (2019 draft class)
    • Too Early to Answer
    • I don't know yet
    • We're screwed (at least at QB for 2019)

1 hour ago, Burgold said:

There is a part of me that is really amused by the idea that the Vikings and Redskins swapped QBs (albeit one year removed)  I liked Keenum two years ago and thought he got a raw deal from the Vikings (sort of a Trent Dilfer the grass is always greener kind of deal). I don't know that he can be a hero here, but it's not the worst rabbit out of a hat move if you felt you had to make one.

Still, I was anticipating the Redskins going 4-12 next year. I'm still not sure they don't.

I think we are gonna be better than that. Keenum is about the same as smith, we were 6-3 with smith, plus we are getting guice back, and our defense i think will hold steady (it was decent early in the season), especially since we he got a lot of good defensive minds... plus, history, wise, gruden has always managed to get us to around .500... not sure why that would chance now...

if if we stay injury free, 9-7, if not, 7-9, maybe 6-10 at the worst.  I shouldn’t be but i’m excited about keenum after staring down the barrel of colt mccoy as a nfl starter....

I've come down off my initial distaste of the trade.  It's alright.

But that's exactly what it is.  Alright.

It doesn't move this franchise forward, it doesn't set it back.  It just keeps...it where it is. 

Yeah, maybe we can be good if Guice comes back, if Adrian Peterson can bottle that magic again, if the defense comes around, if we can stay healthy...

If, if, if.  

I wasn't expecting Rosen to be the franchise QB, he looked pretty terrible last year but...at least it would have been a move that I could understand the logic behind.  I understand taking a risk on a guy like that, maybe he just needs a change of scenery.  And if it pans out, well, you've got a franchise QB.

We'll be right back here next year having the same dumbass QB debates we've always had.  We'll be wondering who we should take, who we should sign, trade for, etc.  And I guess that's my overall frustration here, this just delays the conversation.  

3 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

It doesn't move this franchise forward, it doesn't set it back.  It just keeps...it where it is. 

Yeah, maybe we can be good if Guice comes back, if Adrian Peterson can bottle that magic again, if the defense comes around, if we can stay healthy...

If, if, if.  

I wasn't expecting Rosen to be the franchise QB, he looked pretty terrible last year but...at least it would have been a move that I could understand the logic behind.  I understand taking a risk on a guy like that, maybe he just needs a change of scenery.  And if it pans out, well, you've got a franchise QB.

We'll be right back here next year having the same dumbass QB debates we've always had.  We'll be wondering who we should take, who we should sign, trade for, etc.  And I guess that's my overall frustration here, this just delays the conversation.  

yah, but after this year we can get out of smith’s contract, and next year the QB stock in the draft looks stronger.... i don’t mind waiting at year, we got Keenum for cheap.

5 minutes ago, AlvinWaltonIsMyBoy said:

I know my fandom is dying because I don’t know how to feel. Kinda like little Elliot after E.T. kicked the bucket.

At least they had one of the best video games in history to commemorate their existence.

1 minute ago, Forehead said:

At least they had one of the best video games in history to commemorate their existence.

That's a great documentary if you get a chance to watch it.

6 minutes ago, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

yah, but after this year we can get out of smith’s contract, and next year the QB stock in the draft looks stronger.... i don’t mind waiting at year, we got Keenum for cheap.

Nothing's changed, we were going to get out of Smith's contract after this year no matter what.  

I'm happy we got Keenum for cheap but I still don't trust this organization to build properly.  It's patchwork move after patchwork move.

This is great, because hopefully it will give the FO the feeling that they've made their "big move" to improve at QB, but we'll actually still accidentally suck, get them all fired, and start over next year, with really no resources wasted on another win now QB. 

So what is the actual cap hit for taking Keenums contract? Broncos paid about $4M or so of his guarantees, but his cap number was originally going to be $20M this season before the trade. 

I hope this isn't costing us $16M.

Not a terrible deal really... and it SHOULD guarantee we don’t draft a QB in the first 4 rounds or even worse trade up to reach on 1 of this year’s crop.

How much is his cap hit?

1 minute ago, ExoDus84 said:

So what is the actual cap hit for taking Keenums contract? Broncos laid about $4M or so, but his cap number was originally going to be $20M this season before the trade. 

That would be a bit o’ fly in the ointment... prolly still better than sending higher picks for Rosen. 

We just need to face reality and embrace the suck for a couple of (yet more) seasons.

1 minute ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I don't get it, Rosen, First round QB.  How's that all still in play?  We've got Colt, now Keenum.  We're not gonna carry 3 QBs, no one does that anymore.  Are we gonna flip Keenum?  Cut Colt?  

Keim is good, I trust him and I think he knows what he's talking about.  He's got good sources.  But I just don't trust Allen to be wheeling and dealing on the QB market, making picks and planning for the future.

9 minutes ago, ExoDus84 said:

So what is the actual cap hit for taking Keenums contract? Broncos paid about $4M or so of his guarantees, but his cap number was originally going to be $20M this season before the trade. 

We're splitting his $7 mil salary with Denver.

https://www.rotoworld.com/football/nfl/player-news/headlines#news-8887046

Redskins acquired QB Case Keenum and a 2020 seventh-round pick from the Broncos in exchange for a 2020 sixth-round pick.

For his troubles, Keenum is getting a $500,000 "restructure bonus" on top of his $7 million salary. To facilitate a trade, the Broncos have agreed to pay half of that. Keenum has agreed to waive the non-guaranteed $10.5 million he had been owed. It is probably the best Keenum and the Broncos could have hoped for. As for the Redskins, Keenum is an improvement on Colt McCoy but not much else. It's a decidedly modest Alex Smith fallback plan. Keenum predictably crash landed last season after his magical 2017 with the Vikings. It is going to be a long year in Washington.

31 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

If, if, if.  

Being back here next year with this debate is better than doing it this year.  The real good thing about this trade is it takes us out of using a 1st (or 2d) on a QB this year (We could still potentially use a 3rd or lower pick on a QB). Next years QB Crop is far superior so having the debate then is to the Redskins benefit.

3 minutes ago, nonniey said:

Being back here next year with this debate is better than doing it this year.  The real good thing about this trade is it takes us out of using a 1st (or 2d) on a QB this year (We could still potentially use a 3rd or lower pick on a QB). Next years QB Crop is far superior so having the debate then is to the Redskins benefit.

If next years QB crop is superior, I'd rather start Colt, have whoever as a backup and get a higher pick in next years draft...rather than keeping up the half-assed attempt of trying to win 9 games and have that be good enough for the playoffs all the while still needing a long term solution at QB.  

I'd have rather traded for Rosen, seen if he was any good this year and if not, still pick a qb next year.  

My take on this move is that Colt is most likely gone. Yes. Gruden loves him. But is he really putting his future into the hands McCoy? Keenum is a much better QB than Colt. And this is a very good move by the front office. I do want to see the real cap number though. There is some confusion in that number right now.

2 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

If next years QB crop is superior, I'd rather start Colt, have whoever as a backup and get a higher pick in next years draft...rather than keeping up the half-assed attempt of trying to win 9 games and have that be good enough for the playoffs all the while still needing a long term solution at QB.  

I'd have rather traded for Rosen, seen if he was any good this year and if not, still pick a qb next year.  

You keep saying this over and over again. We won the division a couple if years ago at 9-7. Are you really so gung ho to suck that you would be pissed with a winning record. The head coach is here to win. There is no embrace the suck when your job is on the line.

4 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

My take on this move is that Colt is most likely gone. Yes. Gruden loves him. But is he really putting his future into the hands McCoy? Keenum is a much better QB than Colt. And this is a very good move by the front office. I do want to see the real cap number though. There is some confusion in that number right now.

You keep saying this over and over again. We won the division a couple if years ago at 9-7. Are you really so gung ho to suck that you would be pissed with a winning record. The head coach is here to win. There is no embrace the suck when your job is on the line.

I wouldn't be pissed at a winning record, but I'd be questioning whether or not it's sustainable.  You know as well as I do the Skins haven't been able to put together back to back winning seasons in quite a long time.  Sure, a 9-7 record in a watered down division to be able to say you made the playoffs is nice but can they do it two years in a row?  The answer with their current strategy has always been a resounding no.

I get that the head coach is here to win.  I get that Bruce Allen is here to win.  They both have a funny way of showing it.

13 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

Yes I think I would have preferred trading for Rosen (as long as it was no better than a 3rd rounder for him).  But my biggest worry was the Redskins would reach for a QB with their 1st and that worry has been reduced.

36 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

We've got Colt, now Keenum.  We're not gonna carry 3 QBs, no one does that anymore. 

Lots of teams do that. We were the only NFC East team not to last year, for example.

As an aside, when Smith went down, I looked around the NFL and found us and Oakland were the only teams without a third at least on the PS. Shrewd planning there.

1 minute ago, Rufus T Firefly said:

Lots of teams do that. We were the only NFC East team not to last year, for example.

As an aside, when Smith went down, I looked around the NFL and found us and Oakland were the only teams without a third at least on the PS. Shrewd planning there.

You're right, but I meant on the 53 man roster.  That we didn't have one on the PS was dumb.  Must be a Gruden thing :stop:

Archived