Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Starting QB 2019???

Renegade7

Who should be the starting QB in 2019???  

402 members have voted

1. 1. Who should be the starting QB in 2019???

• Alex Smith
    • Colt McCoy
    • Trade for a Veteran
    • Sign a Veteran
    • First Round Pick (2019 draft class)
    • Non-First Round Pick (2019 draft class)
    • Too Early to Answer
    • I don't know yet
    • We're screwed (at least at QB for 2019)

48 minutes ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

Sooo.....case Keenum starter for 2019? That lands us the 1st overall pick in the 2020 draft how? Why not just **** the 2019 season and lose the whole season in order to draft one of tuba/Fromm? Keenum just ensures we stay between 7-9 and 9-7....**** that. 

Front office SUCKS 

Remember, that this is the FO that was probably why Kaepernick ended up getting a settlement from the NFL.

13 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

even if they are done, I've been on the train for 2020 QBs anyway, so if it bombs and they have a bad season then so what?  

Why do you keep holding out hope this franchise actually has the patience to develop a young franchise QB outside wishful thinking?  They won't tank for higher pick, they won't stop trading for band-aids, isn't it obvious they are terrified to do what you are begging them to do?

1 minute ago, Renegade7 said:

Why do you keep holding out hope this franchise actually has the patience to develop a young franchise QB outside wishful thinking?  They won't tank for higher pick, they won't stop trading for band-aids, isn't it obvious they are terrified to do what you are begging them to do?

Would you say they developed Cousins?

Just now, LightningBuggs said:

Regardless of what is being reported, this tells me that the Skins ARE done with Rosen. 

They may draft a qb but I think that will be the end of their qb moves. 

This shows exactly the opposite. A smart move to insure having a qb for this year with that same qb also being excellent trade bait for a potential additional to a pick for Rosen. One of the smartest moves i have ever seen by this FO....

My take is 

A.  I agree with those who complain about their band aid approach at times to building their roster where they don't go full force rebuild especially at QB.   So if what really is going on is that they think Keenum is the solution to a band aid approach to win this season....then I am with this thought in theory as to not loving that mindset

But...

B.  We don't know this is what it means.  They just basically paid Keenum a backup QB price.  So no big deal to me.   If Keenum got big money and or they paid a heavy price -- I'd care then.    But this to me is nothing but getting Keenum cheap.  And heck if they happen to think he's the answer and they ride with him and they have a bad season -- that's fine too, then rebuild in 2020 and get a QB then.

I think though they likely do something else still at QB.  So essentially this all might just be us having 2 higher end backups for whatever other QB they acquire.  And if not we'd be hopefully on the road for a 2020 QB in the draft. 

So I see this as a nothing to lose drill. 

1 minute ago, panahoo said:

This shows exactly the opposite. A smart move to insure having a qb for this year with that same qb also being excellent trade bait for a potential additional to a pick for Rosen. One of the smartest moves i have ever seen by this FO....

Disagree. But to each his own. 

Hard to really complain about this one. Worst case, we have a cheap NFL starter who is easy to root for and will be a good option when Colt -- who will look great in camp and preseason -- goes down in week two.

Wait, no mega contract extension before the trade even takes place?

Staying old at QB seems to be a priority. I think its safe to say we will not draft one, and that we are all set at QB in our quest to win the Super Blow.

Maybe a mod can do a big and update the threat title so folks that come here for news can see it right away.

4 minutes ago, Califan007 said:

Would you say they developed Cousins?

Good question, but in context of mine he was never intended for that role and by time he "proved" he could do it, we started playing chicken.  He was not a first rounder we pinned our franchise on like is being asked form  We literally just traded for somebody else trash last offseason, that's our mo at QB.  Griffin looks to have destroyed any desire for going all in for another rookie franchise QB, we are back to making sure we got someone "whos done it before'

13 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

Dude, we get you're all sandy about the team not wanting to "tank" because you think it will be better.

Are you aware of their record for the last 20 years? They've "tanked" out of pure suckitude plenty of years. Look at their records since 1993.. I see lots of 3, 4, 5 and 6 win seasons in there, which means they were in striking distance of a "franchise qb" all those years, and still have nothing.

"blowing it all up" doesn't mean squat. They've HAD nothing for years.

skins.JPG

36 minutes ago, Califan007 said:

Having the #2 overall pick in 2012 didn't do squat for the team.

They don't need a worse record...they need a better GM.

Your second statement I agree with but your first is all sorts of wrong. 

You know that wasn't just a 2nd pick overall. It was giving up so much more in draft picks. 

Ever wonder why the skins are always devoid of blue chip talent? 

I don't personally recommend tanking but there is nothing wrong with solidifying your team at positions other than qb and working with a long term strategy, at the cost a constant "win now" method. 

The skins always sacrifice the future to provide another measly win or two which pushes us out of favorable draft position, leading to desperate moves. 

If keenum gets restructured to a higher dollar deal then this move is extremely shortsighted and very bad for the redskins future. 

40 minutes ago, Califan007 said:

Having the #2 overall pick in 2012 didn't do squat for the team.

They don't need a worse record...they need a better GM.

They might need a worse record to lose the gm...

Not that it guarantees a better gm... 

3 minutes ago, crabbypatty said:

Dude, we get you're all sandy about the team not wanting to "tank" because you think it will be better.

Are you aware of their record for the last 20 years? They've "tanked" out of pure suckitude plenty of years. Look at their records since 1993.. I see lots of 4, 5 and 6 win seasons in there, which means they were in striking distance of a "franchise qb" all those years, and still have nothing.

"blowing it all up" doesn't mean squat. They've HAD nothing for years.

skins.JPG

I've said repeatedly I don't want to tank and I want to trade up for a franchise QB instead.  I literally made a thread in the tailgate about why tanking intentionally is a terrible idea.  Please don't ask me insulting questions like do I know what their record was, I follow the team, too.

With our front office's history of botched actions, this one actually looks like a shrewd move.  Keenum is as good as any of the 1 year rental QBs (better than most) and was brought in on a team friendly deal.  Considering the uncertainty of Smith's return and the lost cost of his salary the team was limited in their options.  If this is the last QB move of the year I can life with it.

if it turns in as fuel for a Rosen trade even better.  I like Rosen better than any of the QBs in this draft and would love to give him a shot to be our franchise QB.  HTTR!

I said just yesterday in here that I would be down with bringing in Keenum.

Let Keenum and Colt battle it out for 1st and 2nd string. Draft Minshew /or/ Rypien late as our developmental QB. Both of those QB will be better than expected in the future.

Draft Hockenson in the first. 

Archived