Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Starting QB 2019???

Renegade7

Who should be the starting QB in 2019???  

402 members have voted

1. 1. Who should be the starting QB in 2019???

• Alex Smith
    • Colt McCoy
    • Trade for a Veteran
    • Sign a Veteran
    • First Round Pick (2019 draft class)
    • Non-First Round Pick (2019 draft class)
    • Too Early to Answer
    • I don't know yet
    • We're screwed (at least at QB for 2019)

30 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Talk about covering all basis but to me there is one thing here of note -- Doug before in effect killed the idea of trading up.  Now he apparently says its on the table.  Finlay's been the one guy who keeps saying if Murray becomes available in a trade up, Redskins would consider. 

We are moving up for Jones?

giphy.gif?cid=3640f6095c7d7fed3671662e45

6 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Talk about covering all basis but to me there is one thing here of note -- Doug before in effect killed the idea of trading up.  Now he apparently says its on the table.  Finlay's been the one guy who keeps saying if Murray becomes available in a trade up, Redskins would consider. 

He also opened the door to a trade down publicly.  I don't see us getting QB this year, more positioning for someone to trade with by keeping "everything on the table"

1 hour ago, Renegade7 said:

He also opened the door to a trade down publicly.  I don't see us getting QB this year, more positioning for someone to trade with by keeping "everything on the table"

Oh I think you can take it to the bank that we draft a QB this year, it's just in which round?

7 hours ago, Renegade7 said:

The trade down idea I've heard now multiple times.  Trying to place where but that's not the first time its been floated.

9 minutes ago, WelshSkinsFan said:

I can think of a fair few non first round QBs that were franchise savers and in recent times guys that started straight away.  I would be pretty happy if we blundered into a Russell Wilson in the 3rd round or even a Carr or Garropolo in the 2nd.

Its POSSIBLE, but not likely.

There's only 32 starting QB positions in the NFL, and the good ones usually last a while.   Even if there are 10 QBs that are considered starting caliber, that were non-first round picks, that doesn't take into account how many swings and misses there were.  The % of good qbs taken rounds 2-7 vs the actual number of qbs taken in that same period is very very small.  

That said, I have no problem taking multiple shots at QB in later rounds hoping to 'blunder' into a starter, but i don't think it's a good option to go into the draft with the idea that you're going to rely on a 3rd rounder to be the future.... if it happens, great, but as an end all be all would be a bad move imho. 

I am not proposing it as a strategy just stating that what we think we know about the QBs in this draft now is probably all wrong as we see every year.  I have noticed that after people got a little high on him a while ago the consensus amongst the mock draft gurus is that Daniel Jones is not really a first round talent like Haskins, Lock and Murray and yet I wouldn't be remotely surprised if in 2 or 3 years time we look back and those 3 are all struggling or benched and Jones as a 2nd round pick is hoisting a Lombardi.

3 minutes ago, WelshSkinsFan said:

I am not proposing it as a strategy just stating that what we think we know about the QBs in this draft now is probably all wrong as we see every year.  I have noticed that after people got a little high on him a while ago the consensus amongst the mock draft gurus is that Daniel Jones is not really a first round talent like Haskins, Lock and Murray and yet I wouldn't be remotely surprised if in 2 or 3 years time we look back and those 3 are all struggling or benched and Jones as a 2nd round pick is hoisting a Lombardi.

Oh I would be absolutely SHOCKED if Jones is hoisting a Lombardi trophy in 2-3 years...unless the Patriots draft him...

40 minutes ago, WelshSkinsFan said:

I gotcha bud :cheers:

Yeah i've really cooled on Jones, but you're right... he could be hoisting a Lombardi trophy, but so could Brett Rypien, or any other QB in the draft...

part of that though is the strategic building of a team.  Not using a first on him, and picking up another player who turns out to be ELITE, then getting Jones in the 2nd, allows you to do things.  Now to your point with Russell Wilson... They COULD have taken him in the 2nd.  Had they done that, they wouldn't have drafted Bobby Wagner, and Wilson likely doesn't have a ring at this point.

You really wanna cry.. look at who we picked 4 picks ahead of Wilson in 2012....

I'll give you a hint... Josh Leribeus

5 minutes ago, OVCChairman said:

I gotcha bud :cheers:

Yeah i've really cooled on Jones, but you're right... he could be hoisting a Lombardi trophy, but so could Brett Rypien, or any other QB in the draft...

part of that though is the strategic building of a team.  Not using a first on him, and picking up another player who turns out to be ELITE, then getting Jones in the 2nd, allows you to do things.  Now to your point with Russell Wilson... They COULD have taken him in the 2nd.  Had they done that, they wouldn't have drafted Bobby Wagner, and Wilson likely doesn't have a ring at this point had they made that move.  

You really wanna cry.. look at who we picked 4 picks ahead of Wilson in 2012....

I'll give you a hint... Josh Leribeus

Man Russell Wilson was so much of a better prospect than Jones...Thinking about how we could have had Wilson in the second makes me want Jones in the second even less...

On 3/15/2019 at 9:53 AM, WelshSkinsFan said:

I can think of a fair few non first round QBs that were franchise savers and in recent times guys that started straight away.  I would be pretty happy if we blundered into a Russell Wilson in the 3rd round or even a Carr or Garropolo in the 2nd.

Not the plan, and Carr and Garroplo are failing at that right now.  You plan your franchise around a QB you take in the first and commit to, everything outside that you can consider a lucky blunder.  Different expectations.

18 hours ago, JoggingGod said:

Allen you dummy you better be right about this

This almost assures that he's not, he bought the blunt before getting the weed

Just listened to a podcast that involved Jon Ledyard who IMO is pretty good at draft assessment.  Ledyard actually was a big Rosen guy before last years draft.

He said for now he can only share a portion of what he's heard but its more or less the same thing Casserly got on Rosen -- that is, Rosen isn't a big studier-stay late type of dude.  He said the Cardinals were used to Carson Palmer who stayed late to prepare and was a preparation hound. 

He wonders if they don't ultimately go for Kyler...they still don't mind all the talk about it considering it might get Rosen to step up his preparation. In other words, it serves as a wake up call for him. 

I have been tied to Rosen as a make or break, for me, this off-season.  I liked him best in Jay's offense last year and prefer a more traditional pocket passer.  If its true that the preparation level is poor then I can move past that.   

Rosen + Player X at 15 is so appealing.  Maybe too good to be true.

Archived