Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Starting QB 2019???

Renegade7

Who should be the starting QB in 2019???  

402 members have voted

1. 1. Who should be the starting QB in 2019???

• Alex Smith
    • Colt McCoy
    • Trade for a Veteran
    • Sign a Veteran
    • First Round Pick (2019 draft class)
    • Non-First Round Pick (2019 draft class)
    • Too Early to Answer
    • I don't know yet
    • We're screwed (at least at QB for 2019)

1 hour ago, UK SKINS FAN '74 said:

I'm inclined to agree. Been thinking that way recently, looks a lot more plausible now I think.

Yes, but AZ holds the 1st pick in the draft and they have 1st say.  Other teams could move up and get Murray instead of the Giants.  Simply put, I don't want the Giants getting Murray. :P

Case Keenum being interviewed on Redskins Nation right now.  What struck me was the comment that he's never played for an offensive coach/former QB that really understands the game like Jay.  He also said it's a very QB friendly system.

Seems like a decent guy - hope he can win games once Colt goes down!

4 minutes ago, HigSkin said:

Case Keenum being interviewed on Redskins Nation right now.  What struck me was the comment that he's never played for an offensive coach/former QB that really understands the game like Jay.  He also said it's a very QB friendly system.

Higskin, I think he beats out Colt and is the opening day starter.  I think we try to acquire Rosen and if not sign a QB in 3rd round.

8 minutes ago, RWJ said:

Higskin, I think he beats out Colt and is the opening day starter.  I think we try to acquire Rosen and if not sign a QB in 3rd round.

I don't normally listen to Redskin Nation but it happen to include him and then a follow-up with Gruden.  I think he slipped because Larry asked him about being done getting QB's and Jay said no, if you have a guy sitting there at #15 paused then quickly added 2nd, 3rd round, etc. that you think can help, you draft him or something along those lines.

I got the feeling they think someone is slipping to #15 like Lock or Haskins or they over draft someone.

4 minutes ago, HigSkin said:

I don't normally listen to Redskin Nation but it happen to include him and then a follow-up with Gruden.  I think he slipped because Larry asked him about being done getting QB's and Jay said no, if you have a guy sitting there at #15 paused then quickly added 2nd, 3rd round, etc. that you think can help, you draft him or something along those lines.

I got the feeling they think someone is slipping to #15 like Lock or Haskins or they over draft someone.

There are a lot of Skins beat reporters that say Jay loves Rosen and then some say we love Murray.  I don't see Murray getting past the Cards.  It would be interesting.  Maybe they like Lock, if he falls or Jones.  A lot of people don't like Stidham but I do and if we go 3rd round for QB and he's available I'd hope we sign him.  We shall see. Thanks for the info.  You are a great poster. :)

27 minutes ago, BRAVEONTHEWARPATH93 said:

With all the twitter hype videos on the official team account and interviews I’m seeing, i don’t think it’s crazy to think that it will be Case vs Colt with Case being the preferred pick 

maybe I’m reading too much into it but i don’t think so 

I would be ok with this only if the Skins can some how add playmakers.  I think adding a guy like M. Brown in the draft or trading for Antonio Calloway would get the job done.  If they can't make any of those moves I hope they can some how move up for Kyler Murray

I don't like Rosen.  He developed a nervous hitch prior to his release last year that had him constantly throwing late.  He also seems too occupied by things outside of football.  He's not athletic outside the pocket and doesn't appear to be a natural leader. 

Also, the QB's in the draft this year are unimpressive by all accounts.  Doesn't make sense to me that they would waste a pick before the 4th round with so many other holes to fill with more talented prospects for an OL that lacks depth, no Edge Rusher and a poor WR corps.

Drafting a QB in the later rounds as a developmental pick makes more sense.

2 hours ago, UK SKINS FAN '74 said:

Keenum, McCoy, Stidham

This is the type of QB they can take a flyer with a late pick.  Look at Minshew's stats and tape.

Gardner Minshew, QB, Washington State
Height: 6-0. Weight: 224. Arm: 31.25. Hand: 10.25.
Projected 40 Time: 4.83.
Projected Round (2019): 6-FA.

3/7/19: In his one year at Washington State, Minshew became a fan favorite, putting together a good season in Mike Leach's point-machine offense. After not playing much at East Carolina, Minshew transferred to the Cougars and benefited from Leach's system. Minshew completed 71 percent of his passes in 2018 for 4,779 yards with 38 touchdowns and nine interceptions. He has more of a backup skill set for the NFL and did not have a strong performance at the Senior Bowl.

2 hours ago, HigSkin said:

Kingsbury will not like those comments from his future backup.

1 minute ago, skins2victory said:

^^^ Minshew is gonna be a player!

Not a chance.

2 hours ago, RWJ said:

There are a lot of Skins beat reporters that say Jay loves Rosen and then some say we love Murray.  I don't see Murray getting past the Cards.  It would be interesting.  Maybe they like Lock, if he falls or Jones.  A lot of people don't like Stidham but I do and if we go 3rd round for QB and he's available I'd hope we sign him.  We shall see. Thanks for the info.  You are a great poster. :)

The Grudens like the same guys, if the Raiders like someone, we like them. Murray, Rosen & Nathan Peterman.

1 hour ago, hogdirty said:

I would be ok with this only if the Skins can some how add playmakers.  I think adding a guy like M. Brown in the draft or trading for Antonio Calloway would get the job done.  If they can't make any of those moves I hope they can some how move up for Kyler Murray

Tevin Coleman would have been nice.

On 3/12/2019 at 10:13 AM, Skinsinparadise said:

Everyone in then league believes they’ll draft Murray.

On 3/12/2019 at 8:13 PM, mistertim said:

I thought this was a really good and pretty fair critique/film review of Rosen.

TL;DR version: Rosen had some issue with reaction time and processing fast enough, some issues with batted balls, and taking some sacks he should have avoided. But he also had an absolutely horrendous OL and horrendous play calling that contributed in a major way. He made some really bad but also some really good plays. Definitely not a lost cause. Issues were those that are not uncommon for rookies. He thinks with decent coaching (including non-terrible play calling), a bit more experience, and fixing some small things that Rosen could be a great QB. Thinks he's actually pretty close to being a really good NFL QB. 

Not bad. Rosen is worth our 1st, in 5 years the entirety of the ES will say they knew it. What a time it will be.

10 hours ago, SemperFi Skins said:

I'd be taking a good, hard look at Cody Ford while you're there...

Dru Samia can play too.

10 hours ago, skinzplay said:

NY could be a good landing spot for Rosen if he's gonna get dealt. Working with Shurmur would be phenomenal for his development, and Mike Shula runs a very good offense. Rosen could sit for a year behind Eli and get the tutelage he needs, and the kid could be ready to roll for the 2020 season. Just a thought. Getting OBJ outta there minimizes drama and complications for a young QB. I'd keep an eye on how the G-Men approach this.

Rosen is infinitely better than Eli today. That would be a disaster for Washington.

24 minutes ago, volsmet said:

Not a chance.

He has the clutch gene. He has the confidence and the smarts. Just needs some developing. I most certainly do think he has a chance. Watch the Pats pick him up late, and have him apprentice behind Brady to continue there dominance when Brady finally hangs it up.

1 hour ago, skins2victory said:

He has the clutch gene. He has the confidence and the smarts. Just needs some developing. I most certainly do think he has a chance. Watch the Pats pick him up late, and have him apprentice behind Brady to continue there dominance when Brady finally hangs it up.

The Brady Fluke was a once in a lifetime thing of the exact right guy going to the exact right place at the exact right time. People keep looking for the next Brady but you might as well be looking for pots of gold at the end of rainbows. 

Every year there's "the next Brady" in the late rounds. Never happens. 99.9% chance Minshew ends up like other late round QBs. We already have backups.

19 minutes ago, mistertim said:

The Brady Fluke was a once in a lifetime thing of the exact right guy going to the exact right place at the exact right time. People keep looking for the next Brady but you might as well be looking for pots of gold at the end of rainbows. 

Every year there's "the next Brady" in the late rounds. Never happens. 99.9% chance Minshew ends up like other late round QBs. We already have backups.

Woo woo woo. I feel Minshew has a shot in this league to be a late round gem, but I never said he was the next Brady. Maybe that got confused when I said "watch the Pat's take him and apprentice him under Brady". Its all opinion at this point. I think Minshew has that "IT" factor that it takes for a QB to succeed in this league. Only time will tell. I hope the Skins draft him late and he turns into something special. One can hope!

2 hours ago, volsmet said:

Everyone in then league believes they’ll draft Murray.

Not bad. Rosen is worth our 1st, in 5 years the entirety of the ES will say they knew it. What a time it will be.

Like I've been saving love your enthusiasm about him.  i am not against getting Rosen as long as its not with the first rounder.  I definitely have more doubts about him than you.  But he certainly has tools. 😀

10 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Like I've been saving love your enthusiasm about him.  i am not against getting Rosen as long as its not with the first rounder.  I definitely have more doubts about him than you.  But he certainly has tools. 😀

The things he does well are really not teachable at this level, the things he does poorly are expected from a 21 year old rookie on the worst team in football. I can’t imagine the guy we draft at 15 being worth more than Josh, but time will tell, as it always does. I just hope, that when I bump my posts, he’s playing for Washington. 

It’s funny that not long ago few experts thought, Your boy, Murray would not go in the top 10, it’s a fast moving world. I said he’d be unlikely to make it to 2 before any of the experts thought the top 5 was realistic, I have a bit of a clue, though not much more.

☃️

18 minutes ago, skins2victory said:

Woo woo woo. I feel Minshew has a shot in this league to be a late round gem, but I never said he was the next Brady. Maybe that got confused when I said "watch the Pat's take him and apprentice him under Brady". Its all opinion at this point. I think Minshew has that "IT" factor that it takes for a QB to succeed in this league. Only time will tell. I hope the Skins draft him late and he turns into something special. One can hope!

Grotesque NFL prospect imo. Cool dude though — incredible story.

1 minute ago, volsmet said:

The things he does well are really not teachable at this level, the things he does poorly are expected from a 21 year old rookie on the worst team in football. I can’t imagine the guy we draft at 15 being worth more than Josh, but time will tell, as it always does. I just hope, that when I bump my posts, he’s playing for Washington. 

It’s funny that not long ago few experts thought, Your boy, Murray would not go in the top 10, it’s a fast moving world. I said he’d be unlikely to make it to 2 before any of the experts thought the top 5 was realistic, I have a bit of a clue, though not much more.

☃️

I do like Murray a lot but give me Rosen first.  Murray would be my second option if he falls far enough to where we could trade a 3rd and 5th for him to move up to #9 to get him.  I think he goes #1 overall though.  Just me.  :) 

9 hours ago, skins2victory said:

Sorry, I wasn't necessarily directing that at you. I know you weren't really implying he's the next Brady, I was just talking in general in more of an amused sense because it's sorta true isn't it? It seems like every year we hear "this guy is the next Brady...a late round gem who'll be a great" and it just never happens. Maybe Minshew has a chance in the league, I dunno. To be honest I've only watched a small smattering of his tape so I'm not really the best to say at the moment.

8 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Well, after the OBJ trade, the Giants do have some ammo if they want him...they could offer one of their 1sts and the Cards would probably jump at it. But who the hell would Rosen throw to? Or would they just focus as much as possible on the run game centered with Barkley and not make Rosen do much? If that's their plan then giving up a 1st for a QB would be stupid. They wouldn't really need a top notch QB to hand the ball off to Barkley. 

And yeah, I also wouldn't give up a 1st for Rosen. But I'd give up a 2nd pretty quick. 

Just now, bakedtater1 said:

You really think Murray can dropp to 15?

No.. but one of the top 3 will be... I'm assuming Lock, however, it's a tossup between the two, he and Haskins. Some team may want a more mobile QB which is Lock. Some want pure pocket passing with some mobility which is Haskins. 

5 minutes ago, SemperFi Skins said:

No.. but one of the top 3 will be... I'm assuming Lock, however, it's a tossup between the two, he and Haskins. Some team may want a more mobile QB which is Lock. Some want pure pocket passing with some mobility which is Haskins. 

Should be interesting to see what happens... With free agency under way it's starting to clear things up a little bit of what might happen in the draft

Archived