Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2019 Comprehensive Draft Thread

Going Commando

23 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

Nah, if it’s status quo, they’ll roll with McCoy and sign some crappy veteran as a backup, like Sanchez, who’s already here.

Then they’ll give Alex every opportunity to come back and start.

Unless Colt lights it up, in which case they’ll just ride that as long as possible.

Might they draft a guy in the 7th? Sure. But probably not much before that.

For starters we don't have Alex's health mapped out.  He could retire, he might not be back until 2020 or conversely maybe he makes it back in 2019, I know a little bit about his injury my kid is recovering form a milder version of the same two broken bones.  I think Alex's health at best is a wild card.  The other wild card is we don't know how well Colt is going to play.  And if people aren't showing up to games if that happens down the stretch --I do think Dan will likely be tantalized by having a young QB under some scenarios.  Lets say Colt struggles and Alex isn't back into mid 2019 or 2020 -- how are they selling hope in that context if they feel antsy about waning fan interest?

1 minute ago, Skinsinparadise said:

For starters we don't have Alex's health mapped out.  He could retire, he might not be back until 2020 or conversely maybe he makes it back in 2019, I know a little bit about his injury my kid is recovering form a milder version of the same two broken bones.  I think Alex's health at best is a wild card.  The other wild card is we don't know how well Colt is going to play.  And if people aren't showing up to games if that happens down the stretch -- while I know you are fired up about Jay being canned but I seriously doubt some new coach is going to be all it takes to revitalize fan interest if they struggle in the home stretch.  I do think Dan will likely be tantalized by having a young QB under some scenarios.  Lets say Colt struggles and Alex isn't back into mid 2019 or 2020 -- how are they selling hope in that context if they feel antsy about waning fan interest?

If Colt struggles, they lose, and Gruden and Allen are probably canned.

That said, @Rufus T Firefly provided a scenario which both made sense and made me cry.  So there’s a chance, I guess..

57 minutes ago, HardcoreZorn said:

@Skinsinparadise Said to my buddy the other day that I think the QB draft class not being considered “strong” and that many teams are either set or have a guy in waiting at QB they won’t give up on anytime soon could play to our benefit. Would feel much better about Colt/Alex at QB for a year if I knew someone with promise was behind them. And while none of these guys are clean prospects, from the little I’ve been reading there is some intriguing talent there. Don’t reach though or force the issue. And definitely don’t trade a kings ransom for one of these guys.

The short answer for me is if they think someone like Lock (or whomever) has Mahomes like talent and feel compelled to trade up some, I am cool with it.  Mahomes for example wasn't considered a sure fire stud when he was drafted but later we read that Dorsey fell in love with him.  So I'd endorse a move like that.

Otherwise, I personally love both Fromm and Tua and I'd be cool with gaining draft capitol this draft to trade up in 2020 -- but am doubting Dan has the patience for that. 

The way maybe to split the difference is to draft someone in the 3rd-4th like Rypien, Finley or whomever and hope to get lucky and if not go for broke in 2020 but hard for me to see how they'd have a shot at either Fromm or Tua without making an RG3 type of deal unfortunately. 

2 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

If Colt struggles, they lose, and Gruden and Allen are probably canned.

That said, @Rufus T Firefly provided a scenario which both made sense and made me cry.  So there’s a chance, I guess..

To be clear, it makes more sense for Allen and Co to try to win games in 2019, so banking on McCoy and a return from Alex and spending resources elsewhere seems more likely. Unless Colt gets hurt or totally flames out in the next 5 games. But if that happens, I'm assuming we make bigger changes. 

A 2nd round QB seems very plausible, though.

5 hours ago, mistertim said:

This is the whole issue with being mediocre year in and year out and not having a QB. You aren't good enough to get far in the playoffs or to the SB, yet you aren't bad enough to actually get top draft spots where you can take a blue chip QB prospect to build around. Obviously that doesn't mean you can't get a really good QB later but it will be a guy who at least a handful of other teams passed on for one reason or another.  

Teams are stupid about QBs.  The Texans and Chiefs both got dank QB prospect by trading up in the teens.  Good prospects drop in the first round just about every year.  You don't need to bottom out to get one.

In fact I think it's better to build a strong foundation and a competitive culture before you get your young QB.  That way he can hit the ground running and build some job security early.

Just now, Skinsinparadise said:

I think it was answered tonight. We might be now even more desperate than Jax for a Qb for 2019.

Yeah.  And it might be a top 10 pick.  

Alex isn’t coming back any time soon.  Who knows about McCoy.

Sigh. And we have Alex’s contract around our necks also.

its just a mess.

So who's interested in waiting until 2020 for a QB now?

2 broken fibulas in 3 weeks. What are the odds?

They have to draft one now.

Hopefully they don't overpay. 

And on that note, hopefully they lose out and get a better draft pick. No way we're going to the playoffs with Sanchez starting.

We need to trade Trent and Kerrigan unfortunately....Trent is hurt a lot and lately when he plays he's not good.

Kerrigan is Redskin Hall of famer but if another team gives us good draft value for him we need to move on.

Norman is gone. And obviously Bruce needs to go. We are about to enter Browns territory.

On 11/21/2018 at 8:10 AM, stevemcqueen1 said:

He's not as good as Roquan was.  His speed will shock you but he's not as smart or physical as Roquan was.  Tevon Coney is a better player than him IMO.

I like him, but not as much as the general consensus.  It sounds like he's going to get picked way too high.

One thing about the ILB position is that there are always good players there in every class after the first round ends.  It's to defense what OC is to offense in terms of draft value.  We'll be able to find guys like Khalil Hodge and Tre Watson in the third and fourth rounds.

I realy hope Kyle Smith & co can convince Snyder (and Allen if he is still here) not to take someone in the 1st this year. If you are the Skins, you absolutely tyr your best to sign Bridgewater, although there is a lot of competition for him. If not him, get Fitzpatrick in here - at least it'll be fun to watch

7 minutes ago, kingdaddy said:

We need to trade Trent and Kerrigan unfortunately....Trent is hurt a lot and lately when he plays he's not good.

Kerrigan is Redskin Hall of famer but if another team gives us good draft value for him we need to move on.

Norman is gone. And obviously Bruce needs to go. We are about to enter Browns territory.

Kerrigan has disappeared this year. You would have thought with a defense that finally was producing pressure up the middle he'd have his best year. At first, I thought that there was just an emphasis on setting the edge, but he's just nowhere.

12 minutes ago, method man said:

I realy hope Kyle Smith & co can convince Snyder (and Allen if he is still here) not to take someone in the 1st this year. If you are the Skins, you absolutely tyr your best to sign Bridgewater, although there is a lot of competition for him. If not him, get Fitzpatrick in here - at least it'll be fun to watch

The defense clearly isn't dominating.  So if you go with Sanchez next year -- they actually might have a shot at Fromm or Tua in 2020.  I wasn't a Colt guy and have said along with many here the dude can't stay healthy but if the dude could stay healthy I think they could be a 7-9 type of team and out of reach of a top pick in the draft.  Now with the defense being unreliable and Sanchez at the helm -- 3-13 in 2019 to me is on the table.  But I doubt Bruce-Dan will wait, I'd bet money they are drafting a QB and doing it early.

I think 6-10 is on the table for this season, if so I noticed the Giants and Lions are 5 and 6 right now in the draft order and they both have 4 wins.  Lions still have the Bills and Lions to play.  Giants likely beat us and then are just a game behind.   

If tonight showed me anything it is that our offensive line needs depth badly.  Offensive line is the one position that suffers from injuries every single year.  Guys get rolled up on constantly.  

WR, QB, and CB are next on my list.  From what I've read QB is not the strongest position in this coming draft, so we might as well ride out Smith's contract and wait.

This team is a LONG way away. We have more holes than the Titanic. At this point. the best thing to do is to cut all of the high salaried dead weight this offseason and rebuild with some young talent. It's going to be a few years but it's definitely time to stop trying to compete with mediocre talent. Blow it up and build this team the right way! 

I don't know about you guys, but I mean really who cares. Our team is in big trouble. I understand the move of not resigning Cousins, but damn that is hurting the Skins today. We don't have a starting QB now and no cap room. Our line has been hurt the last 2 years. Pretty sure we could use some picks there. We don't have a real #1 WR. Our defense even with the draft picks spent on the dline still sucks. We traded a 4th for a rental player. Haha made a joke out of the Skins. 

This team went from making some noise to probably having to go through another rebuild. 

5 hours ago, RedskinsFanInSanAntonio said:

1st: Edge rusher

2nd: Quarterback 

3rd: Receiver

Kirk Cousins Pick: Guard 

With a top 10 pick looming, they likely have a shot now at Josh Allen, Polite, maybe even Ferrell or Gary.  Wacky to lose both QBs to broken legs but it might make the draft more interesting. But I think the desperate feeling at QB is going to make them look hard as Haskins, Lock or whomever.  Herbert if he comes out?  Before tonight, I thought 2nd-4th round was a strong possibility for QB, now am thinking first round is likely.  

The other guy that previously seemed out of reach was Jonah Williams, now they might be able to get him, insert him at LG and then went Trent retired move him to LT.

5 hours ago, VaK9Trainer said:

This team is a LONG way away. We have more holes than the Titanic. At this point. the best thing to do is to cut all of the high salaried dead weight this offseason and rebuild with some young talent. It's going to be a few years but it's definitely time to stop trying to compete with mediocre talent. Blow it up and build this team the right way! 

Before the year I thought the defense would be good, not quite great, then the season started and I started to buy into the great but now am thinking its just an average unit at best.  Good interior D line and some pieces in other units but the rest?  And we talk about losing Preston and Josh Norman -- which will save cap room but will weaken the unit more.  Need a CB, maybe two MLBs and an edge rusher to be in conversation IMO with teams with really good defenses like Dallas.

Some where celebrating Nicholson last year as a surprise great pick burt he's floundered this year,  Haha Clinton-Dix so far as played like some of the critics in GB said he would which is that he's inconsistent and not a good tackler.  So not sure about free safety either.

22 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

The other guy that previously seemed out of reach was Jonah Williams, now they might be able to get him, insert him at LG and then went Trent retired move him to LT. 

He definitely looks like the top OL in the class.  I'm still a fan of Dalton Risner too.  They're pretty much the only two OLs that can compete with the top defensive players in the class for BPA.

10 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

He definitely looks like the top OL in the class.  I'm still a fan of Dalton Risner too.  They're pretty much the only two OLs that can compete with the top defensive players in the class for BPA.

What's your guess as to where they are picking now.  Just going through their potential position, I think decent shot they will pick somewhere from 7-9 if they lose out.

You figure Bosa, Q. Williams, Ed Oliver, are given going before their pick.    Otherwise I wonder who are the other locks to go before they pick?  Ferrell?  Maybe whichever QB jumps out if Jax is in front of us?  Usually a corner goes early so Greedy Williams?  R. Gary, maybe Simmons?'  Maybe J. Williams if some team needs a tackle.  

Oddly enough if they are QB happy now the head to head matches coming versus the Giants-Jax might be a factor.  I think both teams going QB unless in the Giants Lauletta plays well in his sample that supposedly is about to come up.  Ironically for me, QB is less enticing the higher they draft because they can get an elite player in the top 10 potentially.

Archived