Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2019 Comprehensive Draft Thread

Going Commando

based on strength of schedule we win tie breakers over almost every team so that would be good as for positioning

W-L SOS
1 San Francisco 3-10 0.529
2 Arizona 3-10 0.529
3 Oakland 3-10 0.567
4 Atlanta 4-9 0.493
5 New York Jets 4-9 0.502
6 Buffalo 4-9 0.529
7 Jacksonville 4-9 0.546
8 Tampa Bay 5-8 0.500
9 Detroit 5-8 0.505
10 New York Giants 5-8 0.505
11 Cincinnati 5-8 0.529
12 Green Bay 5-7-1 0.481
13 Cleveland 5-7-1 0.519
14 Washington 6-7 0.478
15 Carolina 6-7 0.495
16 Philadelphia 6-7 0.522
17 Denver 6-7 0.534
18 Miami 7-6 0.457
19 Indianapolis 7-6 0.466
20 Tennessee 7-6 0.510

4 minutes ago, UK SKINS FAN '74 said:

Good chance we pick 6 to 8 range if we tank it from here in.

If its a QB that we are looking for then it would help to leapfrog Jax and NYG and maybe Tampa and stay ahead of Denver.

Schedule

Jax -- home versus the Redskins then on the road versus the Texans and the Dolphins

NYG -- home versus Titans and Cowboys, road versus the Colts

Denver -- home versus Browns and Chargers, road versus the Raiders

Tampa -- at Ravens, home versus Falcons, road versus Cowboys

2 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

If its a QB that we are looking for then it would help to leapfrog Jax and NYG and maybe Tampa and stay ahead of Denver.

Schedule

Jax -- home versus the Redskins then on the road versus the Texans and the Dolphins

Even if we’re not gonna draft a QB we can get a nice haul if we move in front of QB-needy teams.

Just now, PartyPosse said:

Even if we’re not gonna draft a QB we can get a nice haul if we move in front of QB-needy teams.

Yeah and I am among those who is fine with skipping QB this draft and doing it in 2020 but from what people who cover the team are saying -- feels like a forgone conclusion that they are drafting a QB and high in the next draft. 

Just now, Skinsinparadise said:

Yeah and I am among those who is fine with skipping QB this draft and doing it in 2020 but from what people who cover the team are saying -- feels like a forgone conclusion that they are drafting a QB and high in the next draft. 

The problem is then that makes it sound like the whole regime is coming back. I’d honestly just rather tank the season, trade our first for a serious haul in 2020, bring back the same regime and tank next season. Let a new FO mold the team they want in 2020 much like I imagine Oakland plans on doing once thE gruden debacle gets put out of its misery.

5 minutes ago, PartyPosse said:

The problem is then that makes it sound like the whole regime is coming back. I’d honestly just rather tank the season, trade our first for a serious haul in 2020, bring back the same regime and tank next season. Let a new FO mold the team they want in 2020 much like I imagine Oakland plans on doing once thE gruden debacle gets put out of its misery.

I dont think the drafting a QB is all about Gruden-Bruce.  Its the dwindling fan base, not having a young QB to get excited about the future, etc.  But to your point maybe if Dan hires a new GM they feel differently about it.  Will see 

9 minutes ago, PartyPosse said:

If they draft a QB with a lame duck GM and lame duck coach then they're setting the franchise back another 5 years.

Agree if they draft a bad one.  But new coaches can inherit young QBs, sure the dude could be Patrick Ramsey but it could also be Goff

I've mentioned a similar point.  He might not be an athletic freak but the dude makes plays -- 3rd-4th round type?

Switching gears

38 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Schedule

No a smart GM would not be looking for a QB in 2019, but the better pick gives us a better chance to attain additional #1 picks in 2020 and/or 2021 when better (vastly better) QBs are available.

2020 -  Tua Tagovailoa,  Jake Fromm, Jacob Eason

2021 - Trevor Lawrence (some have written is best QB prospect ever???), Dylan McCaffrey (Yes the other son of Ed)

3 minutes ago, nonniey said:

No a smart GM would not be looking for a QB in 2019, but the better pick gives us a better chance to attain additional #1 picks in 2020 and/or 2021 when better (vastly better) QBs are available.

Sure, my point though wasn't to have a philosophical debate about when to draft a QB.  Yeah love Tua and Fromm in 2020 or Lawrence in 2021.  I flat out said if it were me I'd likely wait to 2020.  But alas its not me making the pick 😀 so I am reacting to what I am hearing as opposed to what I'd hope they do.   And what am hearing from multiple guys covering the team is expect them to take a QB early in the draft.  Thus, I am paying extra attention to the QBs in the 2019 draft.   

1 minute ago, PartyPosse said:

I'd either draft a QB in one of the mid rounds and draft a premium one in 2020 or I'd try and make a trade with Pitts for either Mason Rudolph or Josh Dobbs and still draft a premium one in 2020

Yep. I advocated shooting to get Mullens for a pick in another thread. 

This should be the plan versus trading multiple picks to draft Haskins

I am skeptical of "next year's class will be so much better at X position" arguments for skipping good prospects, especially when they are BPA or they are a QB and you need one.

With few exceptions, the top prospects never vary that much in quality year to year.  Barren QB drafts like 2013 are not common and usually only happen when there is a major QB draft with a mass exodus of juniors and sophomores the year before.

The next draft's prospects haven't even been scouted yet, much less graded.  It's a grass is greener type of procrastination.

Sadly no QB would survive with the OL in place. Both our bookends are either injured, ineffective or both, we have a gaping hole away LG and Roulier is essentially our most consistent guy. Let's be honest Moses has turned to crap and we would have been better off keeping Spencer Long who looks great at guard and Chase at center. Ty is great as insurance but if he's starting then look out. 

At this point I go CB, OT/OG, WR, QB, ILB at draft and break the bank on Anthony Barr in FA.

On 12/10/2018 at 8:54 AM, stevemcqueen1 said:

I don't disagree with all of the characterizations you make, but I do disagree about his velocity control.  I think he's a good touch passer who throws a catchable ball in the short game.  His footwork in the pocket is solid too.  His drops are fine and he throws with disciplined weight transfer more than most of the QB prospects you'll see.

Dinging him about his surrounding talent isn't fair either.  Emanuel Hall struggled with injuries most of the year and they weren't able to replace J'Mon Moore.  When Lock had those two healthy, he was prolific.  His receivers were pretty poor this year.  Hall got hurt in the Purdue game and was hobbled against Georgia and missed the Alabama and Kentucky games.  It's not surprising they struggled to move the ball against three top ten defenses when their only great weapon was hurt.

He can throw with touch he just doesn't do it very consistently from what I've seen. He'll need time to take a redshirt year (possibly more but that rarely happens anymore) to be better prepared to play in those kind of adverse conditions that are much more frequent in the NFL. He won't get away with his mechanical deficiencies as much in the NFL either. If someone has the time and ability to properly develop him he'll be a steal. 

PFF putting CB as the team's 2nd biggest need after WR, interesting.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2018/12/11/ranking-biggest-problem-areas-redskins-roster-this-season/?utm_term=.cba12e2f538b

The Redskins' safeties have been impressive, particularly D.J. Swearinger Sr., but there are issues at cornerback. The group has flashed big-play potential but simply hasn’t been consistent enough. The only cornerback not to allow a passer rating over 100 when targeted this season is Adonis Alexander, who has seen two targets on all of 10 snaps. Josh Norman, Fabian Moreau and Quinton Dunbar are their three primary cornerbacks, and as a trio, they have been beaten for 13 touchdowns, even with Dunbar missing significant time because of injury.

Washington needs a significant improvement from this group, whether that comes through an injection of talent or fixing its inconsistent play.

I wouldn't mind going Ryan Finley 3rd round if he's there. He isn't flashy, but he can start day one. Has good pocket presence, makes smart decisions, doesn't turn it over...I don't know if he's a super bowl winning QB, but with the cap issues we will have the next two years having him starting under a rookie contract may be best case scenario. He's actually really similar to Alex Smith, not quite as athletic, but he can run a little. 

54 minutes ago, OVCChairman said:

I can see CB since were likely moving on from Norman.  Add ILB to that as I dont believe either starter is retained

ILB would be my priority, but i don't think one will be there for us. 

CB definitely a need. TE may be a position to look at as well. Unfortunately the Jordan Reed experiment seems to have failed. The mizzou kid is projected high. 

I'm seeing TeVon Coney drop in prospect rankings into a second round range: 😮

To me that's crazy and feels way low.  But man, if he's sitting there for us in the second round, that is tremendous value.  I think he's the best stack linebacker in the class.

Everything about this class just feels like we should be trying to trade down and pick up more picks in the second and third.  Unless we're going after Haskins or an All-Pro type guy like Oliver or Quinnen Williams is somehow sitting there at our pick, moving down is probably how we maximize our value.

An unusually high number of the good players from this class are going to come from the 2nd and 3rd rounds.

Archived