Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2019 Comprehensive Draft Thread

Going Commando

24 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

What's your guess as to where they are picking now.  Just going through their potential position, I think decent shot they will pick somewhere from 7-9 if they lose out.

You figure Bosa, Q. Williams, Ed Oliver, are given going before their pick.    Otherwise I wonder who are the other locks to go before they pick?  Ferrell?  Maybe whichever QB jumps out if Jax is in front of us?  Usually a corner goes early so Greedy Williams?  R. Gary, maybe Simmons?'  Maybe J. Williams if some team needs a tackle.  

Oddly enough if they are QB happy now the head to head matches coming versus the Giants-Jax might be a factor.  I think both teams going QB unless in the Giants Lauletta plays well in his sample that supposedly is about to come up.  Ironically for me, QB is less enticing the higher they draft because they can get an elite player in the top 10 potentially.

I'm with you regarding the elite player bud.  The idea of getting a stud elsewhere when there isn't a QB that really gets me going this year is my preference.  

6 hours ago, desertbeagle85 said:

I don't know about you guys, but I mean really who cares. Our team is in big trouble. I understand the move of not resigning Cousins, but damn that is hurting the Skins today. We don't have a starting QB now and no cap room. Our line has been hurt the last 2 years. Pretty sure we could use some picks there. We don't have a real #1 WR. Our defense even with the draft picks spent on the dline still sucks. We traded a 4th for a rental player. Haha made a joke out of the Skins. 

This team went from making some noise to probably having to go through another rebuild. 

This is wrong thread for this for multiple reasons.  One, if ever there was a thread to find a way to address many of the personell issues you jus brought up, it's this one.  Second, it's a discussion forum, that's the point.  Think you should vent somewhere else, jus my opinion.

11 hours ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Teams are stupid about QBs.  The Texans and Chiefs both got dank QB prospect by trading up in the teens.  Good prospects drop in the first round just about every year.  You don't need to bottom out to get one.

In fact I think it's better to build a strong foundation and a competitive culture before you get your young QB.  That way he can hit the ground running and build some job security early.

In an ideal world, I agree with you.  Mark Sanchez is our starting QB right now, so I'm willing to bend in conventional wisdom here, especially if we lose out.

56 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

What's your guess as to where they are picking now.  Just going through their potential position, I think decent shot they will pick somewhere from 7-9 if they lose out.

You figure Bosa, Q. Williams, Ed Oliver, are given going before their pick.    Otherwise I wonder who are the other locks to go before they pick?  Ferrell?  Maybe whichever QB jumps out if Jax is in front of us?  Usually a corner goes early so Greedy Williams?  R. Gary, maybe Simmons?'  Maybe J. Williams if some team needs a tackle.   

Oddly enough if they are QB happy now the head to head matches coming versus the Giants-Jax might be a factor.  I think both teams going QB unless in the Giants Lauletta plays well in his sample that supposedly is about to come up.  Ironically for me, QB is less enticing the higher they draft because they can get an elite player in the top 10 potentially.

I think we'll win the Giants game.  Even with the injuries at QB and on the OL, 7 wins seems to be our perpetual floor under Gruden.

I think we pick early teens.  You're prompting me to make a big board.  I'm going to work on a top 25, but some initial takes:

- I think Ed Oliver is easily the best player in the class but I think he's got some flags that could drop him way farther than expected.

- I think Haskins could end up being the only first round QB

- I think DeAndre Baker will be the first CB taken.  Baker's had a better season and he's plug and play for every scheme.  Williams is a little more scheme dependent.

- The interior defensive linemen and edge rushers are the best players in the class by far.  But almost all of them have some sort of physical flaw or limitation that bears consideration.  The only ones who don't are Bosa and Ferrell.  They are prototypes and could end up being two of the top three picks.

- I think only two RBs go in the first round: Henderson and Montgomery.  But in order to go in the first, Montgomery is going to have to run well at the combine.

- I think Metcalf is the only WR or TE with a chance to go top ten.  He and Irv Smith might end up being the only pass catchers to go in the first.

9 hours ago, Renegade7 said:

Y'all can't leave this thread until you come out with a QB now.

You're just as talented as any one else here. Makes the thread better when more folks come in and streamline to film review and get analytical. 

Trust your takes and stake a claim. 

Me, I've been highly impressed with Haskins. I've got some Big Ben comps right off the bat, personally. 

2 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Yeah Haskins is the only one whose blown me away too.  He's the late riser who needed the season to prove himself like Mahomes and Trubisky.  If he has a dank bowl game performance like Trubisky did, then he's got a chance to go #1.

Who at the top of the draft will be in the market for Haskins?

Haskins just has "it."  Better athlete than people realize too.  He's not necessarily fast, but he finds a way to get the yards he needs.

I think he's going to end up going top ten and he'll likely be out of our range.

I'm going to watch a bunch of Drew Lock cut ups today because I think he's going to be the guy in our range in the teens.

3 minutes ago, bird_1972 said:

Who at the top of the draft will be in the market for Haskins? 

Probably the Giants and Jags and maybe the Raiders.

6 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Probably the Giants and Jags and maybe the Raiders.

I think only Oakland has a shot at picking #1 overall, though. 

Otherwise, I see your point - he could drop into the top 5 but the Giants will likely be sitting right there and probably won't let him drop past them.

3 minutes ago, bird_1972 said:

I think only Oakland has a shot at picking #1 overall, though. 

Otherwise, I see your point - he could drop into the top 5 but the Giants will likely be sitting right there and probably won't let him drop past them. 

The top QB usually goes in the first or second pick.  The Giants might have to trade up for him if they want him.

I like Wil Grier.   Out of west Virginia. Well suited for west coast offense.    Haskins is starting to convince me.  Dude can spin it.  Strong arm.  Quick release.  

Almost reminds me of Marino with some legs.

I'm thinking we might end up picking before the Giants now.  I'm serious.

19 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

The top QB usually goes in the first or second pick.  The Giants might have to trade up for him if they want him.

I'm thinking we might be picking before the Giants the way this season is shaping out.  I'm serious.

30 minutes ago, Newera said:

I like Wil Grier.   Out of west Virginia. Well suited for west coast offense.    Haskins is starting to convince me.  Dude can spin it.  Strong arm.  Quick release.  

Almost reminds me of Marino with some legs.

I'm thinking we might end up picking before the Giants now.  I'm serious.

I'm thinking we might be picking before the Giants the way this season is shaping out.  I'm serious.

I've watched some Grier, he's a fun watch, plays with moxie, good mobility, he's had his share of deep passes this year but tough for me to tell if he has a strong arm -- I noticed some draft geeks specifically question his arm strength.  I have to dive into Grier more, though.   Big 12 Qbs are hard to figure out.

Haskins and Lock on the other hand have rocket arms.  Am with the group who likes Haskins the best at the moment but I'd hesitate to trade up for him. 

I think Grier is gonna be a good pro.  Like I think Baker Mayfield is going to be good.

Grier has a little Rodgers to his game.

I Think Jay needs his qb.   To effectively run his offense.  Kirk is way to stationary and robotic.   Alex is way to safe.

I think Colt would have excelled and surprised people with more playing time.  He is Russell Wilson like.  Feel bad for the dude.  Its only poetic justice he get his shot next year.

Plus, many think Alex wont even be ready early next year.  His break was much more severe. He broke both bones.

21 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Seen multiple people compare Lock to Cutler, too. 

He's definitely not Mahomes.  Nowhere near Mahomes's creativity or ability to manage pressure.  He's not as good an athlete as Mahomes.  Doesn't have his arm talent either.  Lock's arm is really damn good but it's not special like Mahomes's.  He can't make effortless off balance throws nor can he improvise the arm slotting like Mahomes can.  Doesn't throw it quite as hard either.

I can see the validity in a Cutler comparison.

The two comparisons I'd make are Jared Goff and Sam Bradford.  I see a lot of affinity between the three of them.  I think his arm is clearly stronger than Bradford's, but just a hair less strong than Goff's.  Goff was also steadier and better at dealing with pressure, and he was definitely better at throwing on the run.  Goff was a better prospect.

I was wrong before, Lock is a sure fire first rounder.  There will be at least two first round QBs this year.

Here's my take on Lock's strengths and weaknesses:

Weaknesses

- Low release.  Has a lot of passes batted despite the fact he's 6'4.

- Only looks good throwing from two different slots.

- Nervy pocket presence.  Gets happy feet waiting on routes to develop even when he has a clean pocket.

- Not good throwing on the run.  Has got to set his feet to deliver accurate passes.

- Decision making plummets under pressure.  He'll cough it up quite a bit.

- Relies on his arm a little too much.  Forces the ball deep when he's got the low options wide open.  Isn't a steady chain mover.

- Accuracy on crossing routes is dodgy.  Seems to frequently miss-time those throws.

- Running ability is mediocre.  Definitely a pocket passer.

Strengths

- Prototype size for the position

- Tough.  Can stand tall and take the beating to wait for the vertical concepts to develop.

- Effortless and blazing fast release.  Motion is compact and reminiscent of Goff's.  Doesn't take a lot of sacks because he is able to wing the ball in the knick of time where other QBs would be going down.

- Good hands.  Look pretty big and has a good feel for the ball in his hands.  Can control a bad snap and get the ball out on time with no issue.

- One step drop timing game is unstoppable.

- Hardest thrower in the class

- Throws a very catchable ball on the short stuff like swings/wheels and delayed routes.  Touch passes look good.  Doesn't have trouble dialing it down for the situation.  Doesn't hang receivers and backs out to dry.

- Throws lasers when he's got a clean pocket.  Throws ropes on passes traveling 30-40+ yards in the air.  Very accurate deep ball thrower.

- Absolutely capable of taking the high option on high-lows.

- Absolutely capable of punishing safeties for false steps on seam throws but doesn't have the touch on these throws that Jared Goff did.

- Makes life hard even for good corners covering nine routes and posts.  Throws routinely beat good coverage downfield and gives the receiver the only chance to come down with it.  His receivers at Missouri sucked this season.

- Can deliver the spectacular throw to beat bracket coverage.

- Probably the best at throwing with accuracy and velocity outside the numbers in the class.  He puts it on his guys running outside breaking stems mighty quick.

Bottom line, I think Drew Lock is a good prospect but not a great one.  I think he's a high end arm and talented piece of raw clay who needs a lot of molding.  I don't think he's the kind of transcendent QB who can come in day one and get the offense humming.  And I also don't think he's someone who can elevate a bad offense into a really good one like Russell Wilson, Andrew Luck, DeShaun Watson, Cam Newton, Aaron Rodgers, Carson Wentz, and Baker Mayfield all can.

He's a statue and he needs an offensive line to function.  He is much more on the Phil Rivers end of the QB spectrum.

I think he could be a good value for a QB needy team picking in the teens like us.  I think he can grow into a quality starter who can direct a very potent vertical passing game if you give him the receivers for it and the offensive line to buy him time.  And I actually do think we have the receivers to run such an offense.

But if we do draft him, we need to sit him at least a season.  We can't be running him out there behind this offensive line.  We've got to find some guys in free agency and in the draft to bolster this unit.

2 hours ago, Renegade7 said:

This is wrong thread for this for multiple reasons.  One, if ever there was a thread to find a way to address many of the personell issues you jus brought up, it's this one.  Second, it's a discussion forum, that's the point.  Think you should vent somewhere else, jus my opinion.

Well considering I named holes we have referring to what we need in the draft. Not sure this is accurate. Point is we need a QB, Wr olinemen, outside pass rusher, CB , safety and so on. So yeah I got pissy about this thread nothing against OP, but we are screwed is the point. As for you saying saying that KC and other teams have moved up close to 10 or in the top 10 to get a good QB. The Skins aren't good enough as a organization to find a gem QB in my opinion. So until something is changed in the organization I don't really think it matters who we draft. 

1 minute ago, desertbeagle85 said:

. So until something is changed in the organization I don't really think it matters who we draft. 

Which is why its gonna work out where we lose out and going to trade up anyway, its destiny. Theres nothing were going be able to do to stop this team from getting desperate on the QB issue, my hope us the people that lead to this situation arent involved with how to get out of it.  I'd like McCarthy with influence on that decision.

56 minutes ago, bird_1972 said:

Just as long as the Skins don't mortgage the future (again) to trade up. That's my biggest fear.

Get ready to be disappointed then.

I agree with Klatt, Haskins could go #1.  And if its the Raiders, I could see Gruden falling for him or trading the pick for a ransom of draft picks.   The dude can fling it without even always stepping into his throws.  Strong arm, accurate. he has a quick release, can extend plays, calm in the pocket.  

7 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

If this team had Matt Stafford, we win the division going away.  That would be strong value from picking a QB in the teens.

No way - not with the inept coaching and the injuries we've had.

9 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

Get ready to be disappointed then.

Honestly, if this is the case, forget about anything improving around here.

Just now, bird_1972 said:

No way - not with the inept coaching and the injuries we've had. 

We almost won the division with Alex Smith and Colt McCoy giving us absolutely nothing at the position.  This team is built except for QB and a few spots on each side of the ball.  With this defense and a real QB like Stafford we definitely would have won the division this year.

2 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

We almost won the division with Alex Smith and Colt McCoy giving us absolutely nothing at the position.  This team is built except for QB and a few spots on each side of the ball.  With this defense and a real QB like Stafford we definitely would have won the division this year.

Defense has looked incredibly weak the last two games. We benefited early in the season from a weak schedule and some lucky bounces. We're not just a QB away. 

2 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

Maybe,  but all it takes is one right pick to hide damn near everything wrong with your franchise, top to bottom

Only difference is that the fan base has had this game of three card monte pulled on it now at least three times (Gibbs II, Bruce for Vinny, RGIII) and it has been a failure each time.

I can't believe that the fanbase will continue to overlook the fundamental issues into perpetuity. Eventually, the gig is up.

1 minute ago, bird_1972 said:

Defense has looked incredibly weak the last two games. We benefited early in the season from a weak schedule and some lucky bounces. We're not just a QB away. 

Defensive coaching is incredibly weak, but gonna step away to look at more of these players.  This discussion is already occurring in multiple threads.

Archived