Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2019 Comprehensive Draft Thread

Going Commando

Considering that:

A) We drafted a legit RB last year who got hurt

B ) We were able to pluck someone off the waiver wire who's been pretty damn good. There's always guys on the FA pile 

C) The way our defense has looked, especially in the secondary.

If we were to spend a first on another RB that's just the team banking on a worst case scenario that Guice never comes back at the same level. 

1 hour ago, bird_1972 said:

Where do you see a guy like Parris Campbell going in the draft?

I've seen some sneak him into the late first.  I'd guess right now 2nd/early 3rd?

1 hour ago, bird_1972 said:

And what do you think of Rondale Moore from Purdue?

I only watched one Purdue game this year.  But have seen plenty of Moore highlights.  Looks like a superstar -- and he's doing this as a freshman, wow. 

So if Herbert doesn't come out, then you got him, Lawrence, Fromm and Tua in the same draft.  I think that beats 2018.   I think Herbert though is the key to make it enticing because then you got multiple options, giving you a better shot at the lottery or not giving up a kings ransom to trade up.   Heck I'd take a trade if anyone offered to trade the first round pick for a 2nd rounder for a 2020 first included or trade away the 2nd round pick completely for a 2020 first.  

Wonder/doubt whether Dan would have the patience to sit this draft out at QB or heck you can maybe split the difference and take someone in the 2nd-3rd this time -- tough to tell this early how its going to go for guys as where they are likely to go in this draft such as Lock, Grier, Jones, Rypien or whoever.  

Jumping to 2020 RBs, I'd want this guy

16 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I've seen some sneak him into the late first.  I'd guess right now 2nd/early 3rd?

I only watched one Purdue game this year.  But have seen plenty of Moore highlights.  Looks like a superstar -- and he's doing this as a freshman, wow. 

On Campbell, I would definitely be down with taking a flier on him in the 3rd. Earlier than that seems a bit much for a raw prospect, though. 

As for Moore - too bad he's a freshman and can't declare. Will keep an eye on him. That stat from PFF looks very impressive.

21 minutes ago, bird_1972 said:

On Campbell, I would definitely be down with taking a flier on him in the 3rd. Earlier than that seems a bit much for a raw prospect, though. 

Just looked now at Walter Footballs mock, they had him going in the first at #16, wow.   He seems to make a lot of big plays via screens and short passes.  He doesn't have the rep of being a polished route runner.   But I can see him working in this offense with sweeps, tosses, reverse plays and then over time develop as a route runner, too.   With Ohio State from the games I've watched, a ton of screens, some sweeps, once in awhile a go route.  They will toss the ball to him on occasion where he plays the Chris Thompson kind of role.   For an offense like ours that seems to like to do more sweeps these days let alone we got weak armed QBs who prefer the short game-- then fast guys, with elusiveness and can do YAC are valuable.   I prefer Marquise Brown on this front.  But Parris has more size and can likely handle more punishment. 

21 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

So if Herbert doesn't come out, then you got him, Lawrence, Fromm and Tua in the same draft.  I think that beats 2018.   

I don’t think Lawrence will be eligible until 2021, even though he enrolled early. He is a 19 year old true freshman whose HS graduating class was this year.

Looking at the draft purely from the defense.  The Cowboys turned around a mediocre unit years back to a really good unit now so that has my attention. 

Seeing that our team is one of the worst defenses in the league as to giving up YAC and in converse the Cowboys put on a display to tackle the Saints last night in open field.

We lose Norman am guessing so we'd need another corner.  And alas the Cowboys do have a young shutdown corner right now.  

Then we got MLB.  I've watched a lot of Mack Wilson, including once in person where I zeroed in on him and to a lesser degree White and Bush.  All three seems to be fast and athletic.  Arguably those none of those three are polished.   

Cameron Smith, Te'von Coney look good but don't seem to be athletic freaks.  Germaine Pratt though looks super athletic. 

So my thoughts are what can we do here to take that next step to bring our defense closer to Dallas as much as it pains me to say it.  Draft an edge guy like Burns, Sweat, Polite and take Wilson, Bush or Pratt if they drop to the 2nd?    Baker, Murphy or whomever at CB if they drop.  I always think best player available but i do value some positions more in part because of salary.  An edge rusher and shut down corner costs a fortune in FA a MLB not so much.  But boy what some good MLBs can do for this defense -- Cowboys being a textbook case because like us they also have a good front.

4 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Can't trust Big 12 defensive players.  They give such trash effort.  They have D3 caliber defenses in that conference.  They don't even compete.

And for that reason, can't really trust Big 12 offensive players. Especially QBs.

Just now, CRobi21 said:

And for that reason, can't really trust Big 12 offensive players. Especially QBs.

The offensive players are the only ones I like.  Big 12 schools put all of their best players on offense.  Sure, their numbers are inflated by the terrible competition.  You can probably weight their statistical production to get a more accurate comparison of what they'd do in other conferences.  And you do have to keep certain things in mind when evaluating their guys: Can the OL actually handle a counter?  Can the WR separate off the line against real coverage?  Can the RB break a decent tackle attempt?  Can the QB see the whole field and not just feast on open first reads?

But you have to do that with every player anyway, it's just a little less clear with Big 12 guys.

In general, I think the conference routinely puts out awesome offensive players.  I think they actually put out better QBs than any other conference per capita.  Maybe the Pac 12 has an argument, but that's about it.  Their guys have really advanced arm talent and they are so confident because they come from college systems that have them throwing vertical concepts all the time.  Texas is a breeding ground for good QBs.  A lot of good teachers and coaches at the youth level live and work there.

Their receivers, backs, and linemen are really damn good too.  Really good athletes in that conference at those positions.

29 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Marqise Brown hurt his foot.  He's out of the game for now.

There is a chance he broke something in his foot.

He seemed to be able to walk on it but they still brought the cart in the end. Him sobbing on the sideline not a good sign but maybe that's him upset that he can't play.

3 hours ago, CRobi21 said:

Kyler Murray has some very intriguing arm talent. But with his size, feels like one big hit will completely pulverize him. 

Hes already been signed by the oakland athletics and given a contract.  One of the agreements in that contract is that hes allowed to play this season at oaklahoma.  He likely already has his future paved 

Is anyone familiar with no. 66 on georgia?  LG.

3 minutes ago, SkinsFootball said:

Fromm now dropping dimes. Would you hate him in the second round?

2020. And as for the 2nd rd. Am guessing he and Tua would be vying for the first pick in that draft. Fromm outplaying Tua today that battle should be an interesting ride next year as to who ends up the more coveted qb.

4 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

2020. And as for the 2nd rd. Am guessing he and Tua would be vying for the first pick in that draft. Fromm outplaying Tua today that battle should be an interesting ride next year as to who ends up the more coveted qb.

Agree with all this.

The two of them, and a couple of other interesting guys, are why the smart move would be to do a one year rebuild, and stockpile draft capital for potential trade-up in the 2020 draft.

29 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Would add to the intrigue if he can win this one and the championship this year. What are your thoughts on Ridley at Wr..and those two backs?

Archived