Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2019 Comprehensive Draft Thread

Going Commando

2 hours ago, OVCChairman said:

I actually saw the same things you did.  Most of his best highlights are him making acrobatic catches over defenders, very little where he's open in space and makes a play.  The easy catch isn't the fun one to watch, but the best WRs are good at getting wide open... making the catches easier. 

The most I can say in his favor is he's got good long speed and, when he wants to, his inside breaking routes and double moves look really good.  He's good at working zone coverage.  He's crafty about how he sells his breaks.  But he also dogs it a lot and rounds his routes off when he's not the early read and Ole Miss runs a tun of plays where he's just a bubble screen option where he puts in zero effort.  He doesn't battle to get open every down, which is not what I want to see from a guy who is not that explosive or physical and never lines up outside.  I want to see a high motor technician in the slot.

People are going to compare him to Michael Thomas but Michael Thomas was not a slot player.  He lined up on the outside and battled corners playing man coverage all game.  Not linebackers and dime defensive backs playing zones.  It's telling that he didn't do anything against Alabama or LSU, where those teams actually have the depth to put a future NFL DB on him in nickle and dime.

Brown has an NFL skill set but I would never take any guy who was an exclusive slot player in college in the first round unless he was a kick returner or did something else really special too.  He'll be expected to line up on the outside in the NFL if he goes that high.  A lot of what he racks up receptions with at Ole Miss is not going to be there for him in the NFL.

I like everything about the way David Montgomery plays except for the damning fact that he's slow.  I love that guy's balance and patience and toughness and creativity to find running room behind tackles.  I like that he's good at picking up blitzes.  He is a really good football player and if he were fast he'd be special.  But I think he's going to run in the high 4.5s or 4.6s and I don't know that you can justify drafting a guy with such limited burst and top end speed in the first round.

It's a shame to see a guy who has such obvious talent and such a great head for the game but doesn't have the elite physical attributes to dominate the NFL like they did the lower levels of the sport.

But even still, you could do a lot worse than David Montgomery in the second or third round.  He's a workhorse who is a lot better player than Perine.  Probably as good as Adrian Peterson is now.

No way Montgomery goes in the third round actually.  He is way too good for that.

His vision and patience are literally as good as it gets at the position.  Unbelievably instinctive runner.  And he's strong as hell too.  Love the fluidity in his hips and shoulders.  He is the best all around runner in the class, but I have my doubts about whether he'll be taken before guys like Damien Harris and Bryce Love and Darrell Henderson.  Those guys are probably going to run in the 4.3s and 4.4s.

His combine time is everything for him.  If he runs in the 4.4s, he's a first round lock and could legitimately be the first back off the board.  If he runs 4.5s then he'll probably go in the second and could slip behind several other guys.

**** it, I'm on the David Montgomery bandwagon.  The more I watch of his cut ups, the more impressed I get.  I love the way this kid plays the game.  Just beautiful, instinctive running.  The speed concerns are one thing, but some of these runs are glorious.  This one from 2017 is Saquon-esque: giphy.gif

He runs with a power and agility and vision combination is special.  Watching him run over linebackers and stiff arm DBs gets the blood flowing as a fan.

I think he's the cleanest offensive skill player in the class.  Safer than Deebo and Marquise Brown.  Better than AJ Brown.

Damien Harris and Darrell Henderson are faster than Montgomery but I've changed my mind on them.  I don't think they're better than him.  I really hope he runs well at the combine.  If he does, then you're talking about a strong BPA candidate at our pick.

Marlon Davidson is a jr to watch, Auburn played him at DE & DT. I don’t know if he has declared, but he’s a prospect with a lot of upside & the ability to play in every set. I’ve heard him talked about as a late round guy, but I imagine round 4 is his floor. He battles hard inside & is surprisingly hard to move for his size.

1 hour ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

**** it, I'm on the David Montgomery bandwagon.  The more I watch of his cut ups, the more impressed I get.  I love the way this kid plays the game.  Just beautiful, instinctive running.  The speed concerns are one thing, but some of these runs are glorious.  This one from 2017 is Saquon-esque: giphy.gif

He runs with a power and agility and vision combination is special.  Watching him run over linebackers and stiff arm DBs gets the blood flowing as a fan.

I think he's the cleanest offensive skill player in the class.  Safer than Deebo and Marquise Brown.  Better than AJ Brown.

Damien Harris and Darrell Henderson are faster than Montgomery but I've changed my mind on them.  I don't think they're better than him.  I really hope he runs well at the combine.  If he does, then you're talking about a strong BPA candidate at our pick.

Hes got some Arian Foster to his game. 

7 hours ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

**** it, I'm on the David Montgomery bandwagon.  The more I watch of his cut ups, the more impressed I get.  I love the way this kid plays the game.  Just beautiful, instinctive running.  The speed concerns are one thing, but some of these runs are glorious. 

You want to take him in the 1st?

12 minutes ago, OVCChairman said:

You want to take him in the 1st? 

I think it depends on what he runs.  If he runs a 4.4x, then I think he's a first round lock and I would take him in the first if he were BPA.

If he runs a 4.6x, then I don't see any way he goes in the first.  At that point I think he's a decent option in the mid-second.

If he runs 4.5x, then it gets dicey.  Maybe you say the value is still good enough anyway if you're picking late in the first.  But you don't feel good about it.

That's why I'm hoping he just runs really well at the combine and quiets the doubts about his speed.

I would view his situation as similar to Sony Michel's and Nick Chubb's if he ran in the 4.5s.  Not crazy to take at the end of the first, really good value at the top of the second.

Just now, stevemcqueen1 said:

I think it depends on what he runs.  If he runs a 4.4x, then I think he's a first round lock and I would take him in the first if he were BPA.

If he runs a 4.6x, then I don't see any way he goes in the first.  At that point I think he's a decent option in the mid-second.

If he runs 4.5x, then it gets dicey.  Maybe you say the value is still good enough anyway if you're picking late in the first.  But you don't feel good about it.

That's why I'm hoping he just runs really well at the combine and quiets the doubts about his speed.

RB may be the one of the only positions that i'd find myself frustrated if we take one in the 1st..  I know the thought is BPA but with Guice believing to return, using a 2nd rounder last year and a 1st this year seems... wasteful... when we have other playmaking positions that could use attention.  

3 minutes ago, OVCChairman said:

RB may be the one of the only positions that i'd find myself frustrated if we take one in the 1st..  I know the thought is BPA but with Guice believing to return, using a 2nd rounder last year and a 1st this year seems... wasteful... when we have other playmaking positions that could use attention.  

That's a tough call because ACL injuries are career altering. There is a very large chance Guice comes back as JAG (I am not holding my breath, I'm ready to move on), so we need to consider our RB stable for sure. If there is a stud in the 1st and that is the BPA, we should take him. However, given the trend of RBs in the league now, we can find a workhorse later in the draft or as an UDFA.

17 minutes ago, LMFAO Alex Smith said:

That's a tough call because ACL injuries are career altering. There is a very large chance Guice comes back as JAG (I am not holding my breath, I'm ready to move on), so we need to consider our RB stable for sure. If there is a stud in the 1st and that is the BPA, we should take him. However, given the trend of RBs in the league now, we can find a workhorse later in the draft or as an UDFA.

That's very possible, but I also don't want to panic til there is a reason to panic.  There's a chance Guice comes back and, even if not a total return to form, is an above average RB.  My concern is using a 1st round pick on a position that we MIGHT need to address, when we have other positions that we KNOW we need to address.... it would be one thing if Guice wasn't a 2nd round pick last year and he hadn't even taken a regular season snap for the team.

Jon Ledyard, a guy I tended to agree with a lot with last year, giving his take on SEC prospects

https://thedraftnetwork.com/2018/11/27/scouting-the-sec-2018-regular-season-in-review/

In case you haven’t heard, the SEC if a fun football conference to cover. Outside of Alabama, the parity is very real across the conference, and NFL talent consistently flashes all over the field. After scouting the SEC every Saturday for TDN, here are my top NFL Draft observations from the 2018 regular season.

5 Best Prospects

1. Quinnen Williams, IDL, Alabama

The best player in the SEC is one that was barely even on my radar going into the season. I love the draft.

2. Deionte Thompson, S, Alabama

Ballhawk with elite range and closing speed. Everything about him screams top ten pick, especially if he cleans up the tackling a little.

3. D.K. Metcalf, WR, Ole Miss

Officially declared for the draft a couple days ago, and if he runs well at the Combine, there’s a strong chance he’s the first receiver off the board. Brad Kelly is right, he has Josh Gordon potential without any of the character concerns.

4. Jonah Williams, OT, Alabama

Overthink Williams all you want, he’s going to be a stud tackle in the NFL if the league keeps him on the outside. Has shut down everyone all year.

5. Jeffery Simmons, IDL, Mississippi State

Simmons has everything – athleticism, a rare build, burst off the snap and powerful hands – and he put it all together consistently in a monster season in 2018. He’s ready to contribute on all three downs immediately in the NFL.

5 Most Over-Hyped Prospects

1. Jarrett Stidham, QB, Auburn

Stidham passes all the baseline requirements for being a pro quarterback prospect and none of the standards to be a desirable NFL starter. His poor progression work, messy pocket presence and shoddy decision-making, especially under pressure, made him look like a late rounder at best most of the season.

2. Greg Little, OT, Ole Miss

Little has the size and athleticism, he just doesn’t have the technique or the footwork. He looked alright over the first half of the season, but got exposed as the year went on. I definitely want to look at some All-22 of him before I come down hard however.

3. Elgton Jenkins, C, Mississippi State

He’s definitely solid, but a first round center? Nah, I can’t see that. Jenkins knows what he is doing and will impress in interviews, but he’s physically and athletically average, and doesn’t play with a major edge.

4. A.J. Brown, WR, Ole Miss

I’ve talked at length now about my concerns with Brown, who is a good prospect but not the WR1, first round talent he was billed as this summer. His athletic testing will be critical.

5. Benny Snell, RB, Kentucky

I get it, Snell runs hard and runs his mouth harder, which I love. But what is desirable about him as a prospect in the top 100? He’s not explosive or elusive, his vision is just ok, and his ability to contribute as a receiver is limited. Snell will play in the NFL, I just don’t get coveting him as a top back.

5 Most Improved Prospects

1. Josh Allen, EDGE, Kentucky

What a transformation by Allen from junior to senior year. Physically, mentally, technically made massive leaps in his final season at Kentucky. The production matches the tape in this situation. He should be a first round pick this spring.

2. Derrick Brown, IDL, Auburn

Brown always had the tools, and now he’s a lot closer to putting it together than he was a year ago. Hand usage has been the biggest area of improvement, both as a pass rusher and a run defender.

3. Jachai Polite, EDGE, Florida

Polite’s speed and bend are rare for the position, but we never saw them on display as a pass rusher before this season. Tons of Florida’s players improved, but none more than Polite, who has played his way into the first round conversation due to his explosive tools.

4. Deandre Baker, CB, Georgia

Many thought Baker would leap to the NFL after last season, but he instead he returned to Georgia and put together a much-improved, masterful 2018 campaign. He was better vertically than he was the year before, constantly competed at the catch point and processed routes breaking in front of him even quicker.

5. Irv Smith, TE, Alabama

Smith was a non-factor a year ago, but with Alabama opening up their offensive attack, he’s become an absolute monster for them at all levels of the field. Few tight ends offer his speed in the vertical passing game or his post-catch toughness and elusiveness. He’ll be a top 75 pick if he declares.

5 Prospects I’d Pound The Table For

1. Deebo Samuel, WR, South Carolina

Not the biggest or fastest receiver, but checks the box in both categories, plays fast and is a nightmare after the catch. Fought through drop issues at the beginning of the year to come alive over the final stretch of the season. Inside-outside versatility ups the value.

2. DaMarkus Lodge, WR, Ole Miss

One of the best vertical threats in the class. Outstanding body control and flexibility with legit deep speed. Can he cut down the drops? He did this past year. More dynamic than A.J. Brown.

3. Riley Ridley, WR, Georgia

This kid has everything except an offense that gets him the ball like a true top receiver. Situation reminds me a lot of Michael Thomas’ at Ohio State, and I think the skill sets out of college are similar. Ridley could test his way into Round 1.

4. Emanuel Hall, WR, Missouri

Speedster with terrific releases and the ability to engage a second gear to run under the ball down the field. Hands are an issue, but his routes and attention to detail improved in a pro-style offense this year.

5. Dawson Knox, TE, Ole Miss

Never gets thrown the ball, but consistently makes plays when he does. Has the natural hands and overall athleticism to be a high pick if he declares. Contested catch finishing and post-catch creativity are still a work-in-progress.

20 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Officially declared for the draft a couple days ago, and if he runs well at the Combine, there’s a strong chance he’s the first receiver off the board. Brad Kelly is right, he has Josh Gordon potential without any of the character concerns.

Please, redskins, do anything to draft DK METCALF, i want to see DK Metcalf star in his very own cropp metcalfe commercials.

THINK OF THE BUSINESS and PARTNERSHIP OPPORTUNITIES!!!

EDIT: After watching highlights, I am salivating over this WR. Is there any chance the skins land him? We will prob be picking late teens 

13 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Jon Ledyard, a guy I tended to agree with a lot with last year, giving his take on SEC prospects

4. A.J. Brown, WR, Ole Miss

I’ve talked at length now about my concerns with Brown, who is a good prospect but not the WR1, first round talent he was billed as this summer. His athletic testing will be critical.

2. DaMarkus Lodge, WR, Ole Miss

One of the best vertical threats in the class. Outstanding body control and flexibility with legit deep speed. Can he cut down the drops? He did this past year. More dynamic than A.J. Brown.

5. Dawson Knox, TE, Ole Miss

Never gets thrown the ball, but consistently makes plays when he does. Has the natural hands and overall athleticism to be a high pick if he declares. Contested catch finishing and post-catch creativity are still a work-in-progress.

4 Ole Miss skill players on offense he talks about and the one coming into the season with the biggest hype, he talks about the least favorably.  

Metcalf is the one I have my eye on in April... 

I agree with pretty much everything Ledyard says EXCEPT that I'm not as high on Deionte Thompson.

One of the things I noticed from watching AJ Brown was that Lodge and Knox were the two who were actually flashing.  That TE is strong bodied.  I definitely saw him make tough catches where he had to fight for the ball in the air.

The truth about AJ Brown is that he plays in the slot because Lodge and Metcalf are more talented than him, and it's the place that hides his limitations best.  Ole Miss's offense wasted too many downs throwing him useless screens that got nowhere when they should have been throwing intermediate stuff to that tight end instead.

1 hour ago, LMFAO Alex Smith said:

Absolutely not. RB in the first is an instant firing for whoever is picking.

1 hour ago, OVCChairman said:

If he's the BPA, then you've got to take him IMO.  Draft picks are for stocking talent at the end of the day, you can't force things by picking lesser players at other positions because you need the bodies.  We'll have other picks and options in free agency.  Plus skill position talent is critical no matter the position.  And we don't exactly have a bunch of riches anywhere on offense.

The way we play, we need running backs.  Peterson will probably be gone next year, and even if he isn't, he's bound to be done soon.  CT is too small to play this sport.  Bibbs and Perine are JAGs.

Guice is a conundrum.  He's quite talented but he's also coming off a serious leg injury and he plays a rugged style that gets him hurt a lot.  He was also most effective as a platooned back with Fournette.

And frankly... our QB situation sucks.  And we're trapped with it for the next season or two.  Acquiring a stable of RBs might be one of the only ways we can move the ball.

You could look at this class and reasonably conclude that Montgomery is the best offensive skill player in the class.  Better than the QBs and WRs and probably the top RB.  Metcalf feels like his only real competition at this point.  It is hard to pass over the best skill guy in a class if he's staring you in the face and there is no lineman or defensive player of his caliber is on the board too.

Running Montgomery and Guice is pretty appealing to me when we've got Colt McCoy slinging around ducks and Alex Smith turtling up constantly.  Plus Alex is going to be coming back from an absolutely awful leg injury and who knows how long it will take him to get right?  Montgomery fits into our identity.  On paper, him and Guice would push Ingram & Kamara for most talented 1-2 punch in the NFL.

4 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

If he's the BPA, then you've got to take him IMO.  Draft picks are for stocking talent at the end of the day, you can't force things by picking lesser players at other positions because you need the bodies.  We'll have other picks and options in free agency.  Plus skill position talent is critical no matter the position.  And we don't exactly have a bunch of riches anywhere on offense.

The way we play, we need running backs.  Peterson will probably be gone next year, and even if he isn't, he's bound to be done soon.  CT is too small to play this sport.  Bibbs and Perine are JAGs.

Guice is a conundrum.  He's quite talented but he's also coming off a serious leg injury and he plays a rugged style that gets him hurt a lot.  He was also most effective as a platooned back with Fournette.

And frankly... our QB situation sucks.  And we're trapped with it for the next season or two.  Acquiring a stable of RBs might be one of the only ways we can move the ball.

You could look at this class and reasonably conclude that Montgomery is the best offensive skill player in the class.  Better than the QBs and WRs and probably the top RB.  Metcalf feels like his only real competition at this point.  It is hard to pass over the best skill guy in a class if he's staring you in the face and there is no lineman or defensive player of his caliber is on the board too.

Running Montgomery and Guice is pretty appealing to me when we've got Colt McCoy slinging around ducks and Alex Smith turtling up constantly.  Plus Alex is going to be coming back from an absolutely awful leg injury and who knows how long it will take him to get right?  Montgomery fits into our identity.  On paper, him and Guice would push Ingram & Kamara for most talented 1-2 punch in the NFL.

You definitely make a compelling argument and the thought process is sound.   Depending on who the playcaller is next year it could be a very potent option.  

2 hours ago, OVCChairman said:

That's very possible, but I also don't want to panic til there is a reason to panic.  There's a chance Guice comes back and, even if not a total return to form, is an above average RB.  My concern is using a 1st round pick on a position that we MIGHT need to address, when we have other positions that we KNOW we need to address.... it would be one thing if Guice wasn't a 2nd round pick last year and he hadn't even taken a regular season snap for the team.

With backs like Gurley and Nick Chubb returning from serious knee injuries..gives me more faith that Guice can return to form. I do wonder though..whats up with Dalvin Cook?

1 hour ago, SkinsFootball said:

With backs like Gurley and Nick Chubb returning from serious knee injuries..gives me more faith that Guice can return to form. I do wonder though..whats up with Dalvin Cook?

Hey though Dalvin Cook also had hamstring issues this year on top of the ACL recovery.  Also Guice's injury happened earlier than Cook so hopefully that helps

2 hours ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

I agree with pretty much everything Ledyard says EXCEPT that I'm not as high on Deionte Thompson.

He was high on Thompson before the season, he was one of the few because Thompson didn't have a big sample size at the time.

2 hours ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

I

One of the things I noticed from watching AJ Brown was that Lodge and Knox were the two who were actually flashing.  That TE is strong bodied.  I definitely saw him make tough catches where he had to fight for the ball in the air.

He's tweeted about AJ Brown being overhyped multiple times so he's on the same page as you -- he loves to tout Lodge as the under heralded receiver for Miss.

I noticed Ledyard last year because he shared my man crush on Guice and I noticed I agree with him on other players.   Here is some more from on the SEC.

https://thedraftnetwork.com/2018/11/27/scouting-the-sec-2018-regular-season-in-review/

5 Prospects I Still Question

1. Greedy Williams, CB, LSU

Williams still gives up too much separation vertically, can be sloppy with his press technique at the line of scrimmage and doesn’t find the ball down the field as well as he should. He talks a lot, but doesn’t always finish reps with the edge and effort you want to see either.

2. Raekwon Davis, IDL, Alabama

Davis will definitely be at minimum a good starter in the NFL, but to be worthy of the top 5 hype he’s received, he needed to make more strides as a pass rusher than I think he did this season. I’m still high on him, but I do think he has room to develop in his first step and overall rush plan on long/late downs.

3. Rashard Lawrence, IDL, LSU

I predicted a breakout season for Lawrence before the year, and I think I was right? He’s been a steady presence for LSU, staying healthy and showing the ability to wreak havoc at times, but he can also get stuck on blocks and doesn’t execute a plan of attack consistently as a pass rusher.

4. Drew Lock, QB, Missouri

I almost put Lock in the “Least Improved” category, but his strides over the season’s final weeks are reason enough to go back to his tape. I’m just not sure he is a quick enough mental processor or good enough under pressure to really maximize his physical gifts, but I’m open to the fact that learning process could occur for him in the NFL.

5. Isaiah Buggs, IDL, Alabama

9.5 sacks in the SEC is nothing to sneeze at, as Buggs used raw power and strong hand work to win 1v1 and consistently flush the pocket. His athleticism is in serious question however, as his first step and flexibility appear to be more limited than you’d like in an early round prospect.

5 Biggest Sleepers

1. Mike Edwards, S, Kentucky

Can play nickel, in the box or on the back end. Underrated ball skills and natural instincts. Doesn’t possess elite athleticism or size, but fast enough and plays with the physicality of a bigger defender.

2. Jace Sternberger, TE, Texas A&M

Can you be a sleeper when you are the second-leading tight end in receiving yards in the country? What a year for Sternberger, with 47 catches for 804 yards and 10 touchdowns. He’s a good athlete for the position with ideal size and impressive post-catch toughness. He’d be crazy not to declare after the year he has had.

3. Kristian Fulton, CB, LSU

Will Fulton declare after less than one full year of action? What a year it has been though. He’s shown great patience from press man and the ability to contest throwing windows with his length and ball skills. Lot of traits to get excited about.

4. Terry Beckner, IDL, Missouri

Didn’t wow statistically this season, but was just a steady presence for Missouri all year long. Leader of their defensive turnaround, can anchor the point-of-attack or win across a lineman’s face into the backfield.

5. Jordan Scarlett, RB, Florida

Not super big or athletic, but tough, physical and has surprising burst in the open field. Consistently runs through contact and finishes forward. Scarlett won’t get drafted high if he declares, but he’ll help a rotation as a mid-round pick.

14 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Parris Campbell -- sticking with my theme of YAC and speed. Not the most polished receiver though.  But you want a dude that can take one of those sweeps and do something with it....

Where do you see a guy like Parris Campbell going in the draft?

And what do you think of Rondale Moore from Purdue?

Archived