Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2019 Comprehensive Draft Thread

Going Commando

I think you're underestimating how high Polite will go, Mcqueen. Polite looks like he is going to run in the low 4.6's or high 4.5's to me. Maybe he will be a little shorter than Khalil Mack, but I think he will compare favorably athletically. He looks like a shoe in top 12 player to me. I would love to add him to our front. I think Polite, an ILB and a CB make this a defense to be feared. 

Add a WR and pass catching RB that can stay healthy and some interior OL, and this is a dangerous team. Even with Alex Smith. 

You could be right @Anselmheifer.  A lot depends on what he measures.  Khalil Mack measured 6'3 with 33" arms.  If Polite measures as lengthy as that, then he's got a chance to go that high.

I've been reading some chatter that Ed Oliver might fall in the draft because he'll measure too small.  Some talk that his playing weight is actually in the 270s.  I'm reminded of how Aaron Donald fell to 13.

If that happens, and he makes it to the mid to late teens, then I think you have to consider trading up for Oliver.  He's got best defensive lineman in the NFL potential like Donald did.  Having him could make us fearsome too.

8 hours ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

I bet Ed Oliver is going to quit his team.  He was damned mad at Major Applewhite's little power move tonight.  He's a proud kid and he's already got one foot out of the door anyway.

I can feel him dropping in the draft. ?

What happened?

Edit: Found it. Sounds like he might actually not play again. 

http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/25289552/houston-star-dt-ed-oliver-heated-incident-coach-major-applewhite

9 hours ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

I bet Ed Oliver is going to quit his team.  He was damned mad at Major Applewhite's little power move tonight.  He's a proud kid and he's already got one foot out of the door anyway.

I can feel him dropping in the draft. ?

My read of that article is that the coach may have been a dick, but he was also trying to be a disciplinarian and treat him like all of the other players. I think it's a bad sign if he thinks he's above the rest of the team. We don't need that attitude in our locker room. Especially when there are way bigger needs than taking a flier on a DT like him.

37 minutes ago, bird_1972 said:

My read of that article is that the coach may have been a dick, but he was also trying to be a disciplinarian and treat him like all of the other players. I think it's a bad sign if he thinks he's above the rest of the team. We don't need that attitude in our locker room. Especially when there are way bigger needs than taking a flier on a DT like him.

Taking a flier?  He's the best player in the class.  Major Applewhite really showed what a stern disciplinarian he was by running away from him into the locker room after he got mad.  It was a butthurt power move.  Oliver reacted poorly, but if I'm an NFL scout I wouldn't care.  The kid's a proud competitor and (rightfully) believes that he's earned his place on that team.  I'm not interested in prioritizing need over taking BPA either.

1 hour ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Taking a flier?  He's the best player in the class.  Major Applewhite really showed what a stern disciplinarian he was by running away from him into the locker room after he got mad.  It was a butthurt power move.  Oliver reacted poorly, but if I'm an NFL scout I wouldn't care.  The kid's a proud competitor and (rightfully) believes that he's earned his place on that team.  I'm not interested in prioritizing need over taking BPA either.

We should approach the draft with a blend of BPA and need. Not just BPA alone.

4 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

Why? What position can we not improve? 

To be fair... the term BPA is rarely ever pure best player available. The way most evaluators use it, and GMs, is that it is a system based on the best player with a weight to position. 

Otherwise you may wind up with a punter as the top overall pick in the draft at some juncture. Having said that, I think both lines should almost always be a part of the weighted formula. What happens if Allen, Payne or Ion go down? A stud DT helps this team, believe it or not. Especially with them all on rookie deals. You come to a crossroad at contract time but in the mean time you're in good shape.

You can never, in my opinion, completely remove either line from the BPA equation.

11 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

Theoretical example: 

We take a guy because we are going BPA and he ends up in a position where we already have young starting talent. Are you going to burn a 1st rounder on a guy who is going to sit on the bench? 

If he's a QB, I can see it - groom him behind Alex but otherwise, we will waste a high pick on a guy who only plays a portion of the snaps at best. At worst, just sits on the bench. 

5 minutes ago, KDawg said:

To be fair... the term BPA is rarely ever pure best player available. The way most evaluators use it, and GMs, is that it is a system based on the best player with a weight to position. 

Otherwise you may wind up with a punter as the top overall pick in the draft at some juncture. Having said that, I think both lines should almost always be a part of the weighted formula. What happens if Allen, Payne or Ion go down? A stud DT helps this team, believe it or not. Especially with them all on rookie deals. You come to a crossroad at contract time but in the mean time you're in good shape.

You can never, in my opinion, completely remove either line from the BPA equation.

Thank you.

At least someone gets it.

46 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

None if you continue to ignore the fact that we already have 3 dominant players on the interior defensive line. Safety is another position that doesn't need a first round pick if HCD is resigned. 

41 minutes ago, KDawg said:

This a million times. It's not a matter of opinion either no team completely ignores their roster when deciding who to draft in the first round. 

Just now, Berggy9598 said:

None if you continue to ignore the fact that we already have 3 dominant players on the interior defensive line

Just now, bird_1972 said:

Thank you.

At least someone gets it.

Just now, KDawg said:

A stud DT helps this team, believe it or not

So, you both agree with Kdawg saying we could draft a DT (which with this draft some great ones are going to slide and it would be dumb not to come away with one), even though he was in agreement with me that not even DT is out of the question. 

8 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

So, you both agree with Kdawg saying we could draft a DT (which with this draft some great ones are going to slide and it would be dumb not to come away with one), even though he was in agreement with me that not even DT is out of the question. 

I'm open to that idea. But I still think that a blended mix of BPA and need may cause players at other positions to have higher net grades and, therefore, make more sense than a DT. 

Nowhere did I necessarily say to NOT take a DT. I mean, if all the players at higher needs all are demonstrably worse prospects than a stud DT that falls to us, you take the DT. But if the DT is only marginally better than a prospect at OT, OG, ILB, or TE - you take one of them instead.

11 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

This coming April, if Daron Payne 2.0 and Brandon Scherff 2.0 are available at 20ish, you take Scherff because LG is the bigger 'need'

If Tim Settle and Sean Lauvoa are available in the 5th, you take Settle, despite the bigger 'need' being at LG.  

You don't pass a superior talent to take a position of need, but you don't neglect a position of need if there's a comparable player available where you currently have depth.  Of course there are players that fall, or inexplicably are available at a position that you weren't anticipating, where you go a direction that doesn't necessarily fill a need, but the talent and possible upside is so great, it's worth the risk. 

Just now, bird_1972 said:

I'm open to that idea. But I still think that a blended mix of BPA and need may cause players at other positions to have higher net grades and, therefore, make more sense than a DT. 

Nowhere did I necessarily say to NOT take a DT. I mean, if all the players at higher needs all are demonstrably worse prospects than a stud DT that falls to us, you take the DT. But if the DT is only marginally better than a prospect at OT, OG, ILB, or TE - you take one of them instead.

No you dont. You take the DT.

Just now, OVCChairman said:

This coming April, if Daron Payne 2.0 and Brandon Scherff 2.0 are available at 20ish, you take Scherff because LG is the bigger 'need'

Yeah probably, as long as they're of equal value. If one is ahead on your board, you take that one, 

That's also tricky though. The LG does play every offensive snap, which makes him important, but solid to great guards are also generally available later in the draft. Great DTs dont play every snap, but have a larger impact when they do and it's harder to find an impact DT later in the draft.

Last year. I'd say Hernandez and Payne were pretty close to each other. If they were equal on our board, while we already had Allen and Iaon, by your reasoning wed have passed on Payne. Which player has had the bigger impact on their unit this season? 

Just now, OVCChairman said:

even if that talent grade and level are similar to the OT, OG, ILB, or TE?

He said the DT was better. Then yes. DT.

Now if every player is equally graded, that's a different conversation and since these things are so fluid, this upcoming draft has a ton of DL talent,  which means the DT will probably be better, but there will also be good ones later on.

Yeah probably, as long as they're of equal value. If one is ahead on your board, you take that one, 

That's also tricky though. The LG does play every offensive snap, which makes him important, but solid to great guards are also generally available later in the draft. Great DTs dont play every snap, but have a larger impact when they do and it's harder to find an impact DT later in the draft.

Last year. I'd say Hernandez and Payne were pretty close to each other. If they were equal on our board, while we already had Allen and Iaon, by your reasoning wed have passed on Payne. Which player has had the bigger impact on their unit this season? 

He said the DT was better. Then yes. DT.

I don't think they were that close... According to NFL.com

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/daron-payne?id=32462018-0002-5600-68ba-6b48873dba9b

Payne 

Prospect Grade

CHANCE TO BECOME PRO BOWL-CALIBER PLAYER

Hernandez 

Prospect Grade

SHOULD BECOME INSTANT STARTER

Now full disclosure, I would have probably really happy had we ended up with Hernandez, but looking back I think we made the right move.  Also, while those three are listed as DT, we know they play different positions, and all 3 can be on the field at the same time, playing different positions. 

Now if every player is equally graded, that's a different conversation and since these things are so fluid, this upcoming draft has a ton of DL talent,  which means the DT will probably be better, but there will also be good ones later on.

Absolutely, and if we can find a stud DT that falls, I say go for it.  But this coming season, if there's a DT on the board graded at 6.1 and an LG graded at 6.0, both expected to become instant 'starter' ability, I go LG.

@Koolblue13 I do see your point and I guess we can agree to disagree but I do think if they are close enough on the board, you have to factor in need. You also said it yourself - the OG in the situation you raised would be on the field every offensive snap vs. any DT we take. 

There is a third option if a stud DT drops to us, we trade down and get more picks and let another team jump up to get him. That way we have a better shot of backfilling our roster. 

Archived