Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2019 Comprehensive Draft Thread

Going Commando

3 hours ago, method man said:

In terms of overall philosophy, this team needs to package a number of Day 3 picks into Day 2 picks

This i agree with, although the ammo is now light with our 4th rounder gone. Maybe drift back in the first for another 3rd, package the day 3 picks together for another lower 3rd, give or take, and walk away with 6 ~top 100 selections.

Never happen though.

18 hours ago, method man said:

Issue is this team has a number of players on rookie contracts you ahve to budget future cap space for (Scherff, Ioannidis, etc)

We look in really good shape salary cap wise for the next couple of seasons. We don't have that many players coming out of contract that need to be locked up on sizeable contracts.

I would also think by time Norman is dumped in the upcoming offseason, along with addressing a couple of contracts, we'll be looking at a good 30mil plus in space pre FA and the draft.

4 minutes ago, UK SKINS FAN '74 said:

We look in really good shape salary cap wise for the next couple of seasons. We don't have that many players coming out of contract that need to be locked up on sizeable contracts.

I would also think by time Norman is dumped in the upcoming offseason, along with addressing a couple of contracts, we'll be looking at a good 30mil plus in space pre FA and the draft.

Preston Smith and Norman are going to save us a ton of money. 

If we are going to continue this Alex Smith experience, we need some game breakers that can catch the ball short and break some long gains. The offense is night and day better with Chris Thompson, but he is just never healthy. We need an explosive receiver and a Chris Thompson replacement. 

The offensive line has the potential to remain an injury riddled nightmare. Trent is injured all season every season. Moses is injured half of every season. I'm not going to mention Lauvao. I would love it if we took a dominant OL that could start at LG but play tackle in the future. 

Was impressed with Jachai Polite yesterday.  He was explosive, active, and held his ground yesterday.  Came within a hair of forcing another fumble.  He has a real knack for it.  He's got first round traits.

Was also impressed by Deebo Samuel.  So far he's been the only receiver I really like.  Do it all weapon for them.  As strong as he is fast.  And if you're looking for a catch and run threat, it's him.  Very dangerous kick returner too.

#4 on Florida, Kadarius Toney is one to watch too.  Not draft eligible and super raw, but he's a pretty special athlete.  He's small bit he beats defenses to the edge and he runs with ferocity.  You can't get him down clean.  You can get him out of bounds but he'll keep his feet and he's going to hit you back.  A whole lot of strength in a little package.

Was super impressed with the game of TJ Brunson, #6 LB on USC.  He had a hell of a game.  This kid is an athlete at the position.  He can fly downhill and disrupt mesh points.  The SEC has so many good stack linebackers this year, it's nuts.

Oshane Ximines just keeps producing. This kid is perfect for us.

Wasn't as impressed with Josh Allen last night as I had been the past few games.  He spent too much time on the ground.  The defense as a whole struggled against a TN offense that wasn't that impressive.

Shaq Quarterman is an intimidating presence at the second level.  Just a classic run and hit linebacker in the mold of some of the former greats that Miami has had at the position.  Looks like a second round pick to me.  I like both him and Brunson for us.

Gerald Willis is also pretty fun to watch.  Nice flexibility, nice instincts, hits his fits hard, good with his hands.  Dangerous on pass downs.  Requires a double team.  Looks like a first round talent to me.  If he ends up going in the second, then it's a testament to how freakishly strong the DT class is at the top of the draft this year.

I don't love Kendall Joseph.  He's got good footspeed and pretty good instincts but he's slightly undersized and I'm not impressed with his play strength.  Qaurterman and Brunson are way more impressive.  Joseph looks like a mid round grinder whose riding some coattails.

I absolutely love Christian Wilkins and Dexter Lawrence.  These kids are studs.  Definite first rounders IMO.  Wilkins will be the leader of a great defense in the NFL one day.  He has an aura and he is the heart and soul of a truly great college D this year.

Clelin Ferrell looks like a top five to top eight pick.  He'll be the first Clemson guy taken.  He is the prototype edge rusher.  Reminds me of Tamba Hali.  Absolutely massive upper body strength and bulk.  Looks like arms could be 35" or more.

Austin Bryant is kind of the forgotten man on that line, but he's good too.  Very interesting player because of his versatility.  He moves extremely well for how big he is and he'll be able to stay on the edge in the NFL I think.  The getoff is very good for being such a high cut guy.  Closing speed and pursuit speed are just OK, but he's so freaking big that he just kind of engulfs you.  He'll be able to play every down for both 4-3 and 3-4 teams so I don't see him falling out of the second round.

Joe Jackson #99 DE for Miami is a sneaky good prospect too.  He's slow but he is damn powerful and has excellent size at the position.  Good base end for your run formations.  Looks like a good option to play a lot of force with.  Good motor too, he doesn't quit on plays.  Their other DE looks pretty impressive too but he's not draft eligible yet.

I think that, unless one of the true game breaking DLs, OTs, or DBs falls to us where ever we pick in the first round (probably mid to late teens), this looks like a class where you try and trade down to get extra second rounders.  The depth of the DL and LBer positions is going to push a ton of really good players into the second this year.  That is where the greatest value in the draft will be had.

I still have a hard time seeing Ximines go in the first round.  The combine is going to be big for him.  If he runs like a 4.5 something, yeah he'll go in the first most likely.  But if he runs in the high 4.6s or low 4.7s, I think he's a bargain to be had later in the class.

Anyone can run a bad 40.  All it takes is an injury and/or poor preparation.

Allen is going in the first round.  He's this year's Bradley Chubb--a super productive pass rusher from a mediocre team in a good conference who I liked but wasn't necessarily in love with.  And whose flaws are going to get universally ignored and he'll be steadily pushed up boards until he goes in the top ten.  He's got the same ability to get to the QB using absolutely every trick in the book and has a similarly relentless approach to the game.  But he's also not a natural, prototypical athlete at the position who, like Chubb, is going to look god awful against certain tackle match ups.  Anyone with a high level first step is going to reach him.  And he's going to get put on his butt more than you want to see.

Truth be told, I think I like Allen better than I liked Chubb last season.  He's a better athlete IMO, and he's a more versatile player.  I think he's a better fit for us than Chubb would have been.  In fact I think he's an excellent scheme fit that could start day one for us and perform at a high level.  He's got the intangibles you want.  We're not going to draft high enough to get him though, and I won't cry about missing out on him.  There are a lot of other good fish in the sea this year.

This FO seems to like to use the draft to fill needs and they telegraph that.  Sometimes need and BPA match but they don't hide the fact that they like to use the draft with a specific quest to address needs.  Doug telegraphed so in his pre draft rhetoric in the off season.  This team doesn't do much in FA typically and as of now doesn't look like a hot WR FA crop.  I bet we will hear Doug say -- just like he did last year about how they want to upgrade at RB in a bad way -- that they know they need to upgrade at WR.  My point is I'd bet money they draft WR early next year, probably LG, too. 

On 11/10/2018 at 9:31 AM, Anselmheifer said:

Preston Smith and Norman are going to save us a ton of money. 

If we are going to continue this Alex Smith experience, we need some game breakers that can catch the ball short and break some long gains. The offense is night and day better with Chris Thompson, but he is just never healthy. We need an explosive receiver and a Chris Thompson replacement. 

The offensive line has the potential to remain an injury riddled nightmare. Trent is injured all season every season. Moses is injured half of every season. I'm not going to mention Lauvao. I would love it if we took a dominant OL that could start at LG but play tackle in the future. 

How about aim to draft both a starting OT and LG? Nothing wrong with taking two OL in the draft.

Polite is the twitchiest edge rusher in the class.  Best first step.  High end speed to power guy.  Knack for forcing turnovers.  A legitimately dangerous speed rush that is going to command a double at the next level.  He was cast in the same mold as Vic Beasley and Khalil Mack.

The only thing he doesn't have is size.  Unless he measures 34 inch arms, he's not going to go in the top ten because of his lack of height and bulk.  That's actually helpful for us though, because if we finish with 9 or 10 wins, we'll be picking in the late teens or early 20s.  That's Polite's range assuming he doesn't run something crazy like a 4.4 or measures with exceptional arm length.

Polite and/or Greedy Williams are the missing piece for the defense.  Greedy is going top ten, so Polite is the one I'm hoping for.  Quinnen Williams, Ed Oliver, Clelin Ferrell, Rashan Gary, Nick Bosa, Dexter Lawrence... probably all going to be off the board before we pick.  But they'll hopefully push Polite down to us.

Just now, The Gibber said:

Love all the Polite talk.  The Gators dline is stacked but Polite is definitely a great edge rusher.

Chauncey gardner-johnson is a really talented safety or nickle corner. Can't ever have too many corners. 

Chauncey Gardner? Lol. Wonder if his parents read being there. One of my favorite authors. 

2nd round pass rusher -- Chase Winovich?  I haven't studied him at all.  I have watched multiple Michigan games and in them he created havoc.  Wonder if having Gary in the backfield with him though is a big part of his success.  Try hard-motor type like Murphy-Anderson who were also 2nd rounders.  He's a bit of a character with his long hair, big personality, baiting opponents, etc -- he'd sell some jerseys if that's a bonus for the FO. 

5 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

I'm glad this is the year the giants will take a QB. Last year or next year would have been bad for us.

Yeah, I think this year is Herbert, and everyone else. Giants may suck enough to get the Oregon product, but I still think he is a step below Allen, Mayfield, certainly Darnold, and possibly Rosen...though I'd probably take Herbert over him, because I think Rosen is a headcase.

There is one intriguing name that could come out in the 2019 draft, though he hasn't played any meaningful football for almost two seasons, and that is Jacob Eason. Kid got Wally Pipped by Fromm at UGA, but is still an elite prospect. 6'5", huge arm, athletic, can make all the throws. Most everyone expects him to play at Washington next season, but he is eligible to put his name in the next draft. I think he'd be a steal in the 2nd-3rd round area for a team that could give him a couple years to mature, and get in touch with the pro game.

47 minutes ago, Long n Left said:

Yeah, I think this year is Herbert, and everyone else. Giants may suck enough to get the Oregon product,

I'm still fascinated with their pick last year Lauletta. He seems like the ideal candidate to sit behind Smith for a year and then be handed the reigns

That Florida vs South Carolina game was one of my favorites that I watched this season.  Classic SEC battle.  And so many good performances to chew on.  Deebo Samuel was as good as advertised.  He is a special physical talent.  So was Jachai Polite.  The one guy who really caught my eye who I didn't know about before was TJ Brunson.  Highly intelligent player at the ILB position.  Read and react process is very quick.  Very good footspeed and agility.  Closes with the kind of quickness that surprises ball carriers.  He's going to reach the edge in backside pursuit.  Really shines as a spill defender.  Swivelly hips and is adept at resetting his feet when breaking down.  Gets to his fits with precision and consistency.  Dangerous blitzer.  A little on the small side but he stacks and sheds well because he's got good hands and balance.  Real leadership mentality out there.  He takes it upon himself to get involved everywhere and doesn't get worn down by the physicality of the position even though he's smaller than everyone else in the box.  Not a big time striker, but a reliable tackler.  Not an emotional rah rah guy, more of a cerebral type IMO.

This is the kind of mid round stack linebacker we need to be looking at.  Someone we could groom to take over a starting job as Foster and Brown age.  He's only a junior though, so he might not go pro.  I really like his game.  Just a very steady player at the position.  I hope he comes out this year.

Another thing: very nice looking backpedal for an ILB.  He gets great depth on it and hips look very fluid on the bail.  He runs like a safety.

The only real weakness I see in his game is size and functional power.  He's going to get pushed back by big linemen who stick their pulls and reaches.  But he's also not going to quit on you.  He'll slip free and run like Hell to recover.

What you need to do with this guy is play him beside a big bully in the stack.  Someone like an Anfernee Jennings.  Let Brunson play spill and just fly downhill to the ball like a WILL linebacker.  He could lead your team in tackles like that and get you a handful of sacks on inside blitzes.

Archived