Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2019 Comprehensive Draft Thread

Going Commando

On 10/30/2018 at 5:59 PM, UK SKINS FAN '74 said:

After the trade for Clinton-Dix, we are pretty well set with our 4 picks in the top 97 of the draft. Trade back to the recover the 4th rounder would be a temptation for the FO, but I'd like to see us be aggressive in the draft.

Must admit, I'd love a top end shutdown CB prospect selected. Dynamic edge rush too. Our D could be borderline elite with the right moves.

I agree. But we BADLY need a playmaker on this offense. Anyone with elite speed and decent hands will do. Richardson isnt that guy. We need to draft the best WR left when we pick IMO. Very deep WR draft upcoming.

1 hour ago, clskinsfan said:

I agree. But we BADLY need a playmaker on this offense. Anyone with elite speed and decent hands will do. Richardson isnt that guy. We need to draft the best WR left when we pick IMO. Very deep WR draft upcoming.

WR is always the biggest crap shoot in the draft, imo. I’m for going after a FA (or two) as you already have NFL tape on them.

26 minutes ago, Long n Left said:

WR is always the biggest crap shoot in the draft, imo. I’m for going after a FA (or two) as you already have NFL tape on them.

That is fair. But it is expensive to go that route. WR's are hit and miss for sure. But there are plenty of examples of hits. Ridley this year for instance.

On 10/30/2018 at 12:07 PM, stevemcqueen1 said:

Gross.  If we passed over Tevon Coney or Greg Little for some crappy WR I would not be happy.

Wr is important but with our needs up front I’m still going with developing Doctson and Floyd has been getting a lot of snaps....  I’d rather go for a game breaker like paris in the 2nd...  and then try and trade up to get the kid from northeastern...

7 hours ago, clskinsfan said:

I'll add OL to my thinking now !!

I agree on Richardson, he's not the answer, was never going to be.

To me, the Atlanta game highlighted just how mediocre our ILBs are. Both Brown and Foster have poor instincts against the run, and are benefitting from great line play. Foster is a guesser in the run game, and when he guesses right he looks good, but when he guesses wrong... Brown, I just don’t think is very good. Excellent athletic metrics, but has no head for the game.

I’d be fine with letting both walk after this season, drafting a LB, and possibly grabbing a FA. Going forward, I see JHC as the coverage backer in nickel and dime packages, and SDH paired with a mauler not yet on the roster.

Posted this in another thread but with all these qb’s taken last year this would be our year to grab a guy we like that can sit...  

like finley, Thornton, and browning...  if Patterson doesn’t go back would look at him as well...  with this defensive line heavy draft I think we can sneak in..

12 minutes ago, Burger35 said:

Posted this in another thread but with all these qb’s taken last year this would be our year to grab a guy we like that can sit...  

like finley, Thornton, and browning...  if Patterson doesn’t go back would look at him as well...  with this defensive line heavy draft I think we can sneak in..

I doubt they pull the trigger on a QB but they should IMO if one falls to them they like.  Grier is a fun watch, plays with some moxie, quick feet, elusive in the pocket, his deep ball is maybe a bit flat.  Big 12 QBs though often seem like fools gold playing all those atrocious defenses.   Haven't really studied him but watched a few West Virginia games.

Some more Irv Smith hype

https://www.montgomeryadvertiser.com/story/sports/college/alabama/2018/11/03/improved-blocking-tight-end-smith-jr-has-expanded-his-game-tide-offense/1861698002/

Through nine games, Smith Jr. is third on the team with 26 receptions — one of five Crimson Tide players with at least 20 catches already — for 448 yards and six touchdowns this season, which is one more score than what Howard combined for over 30 games his junior and senior seasons at Alabama.

And he’s been fairly consistent as well, accounting for touchdowns in each of the Tide’s last four games, including hauling in a 25-yard score with 1:15 left in the second quarter of Saturday's 29-0 win over then-No. 4 LSU. Smith finished with four catches for 64 yards and the one score against his childhood team.

“(Smith) is really, really dynamic with how he runs his routes, he’s very fast and he’s very strong,” Tide starting quarterback Tua Tagovailoa said. “He’s a very good (pass) catcher, as well. And if he was a lot skinnier than what he is now, he’d probably play receiver or something. He’s really that good.”

Yet, while his offensive production has Tide fans grinning and NFL scouts clamoring, Smith’s development as a reliable in-line blocker has allowed his playmaking to stand out even more.

Alabama running back Damien Harris (34) and tight end Irv Smith Jr. (82) celebrate Harris' touchdown against Arkansas during first half action in Fayetteville, Ark., on Saturday October 6, 2018.

“Not that he wasn’t good before, but you can tell he’s really established his hand-in-the-ground blocking (technique), which is going to help in the future,” Hentges said of Smith Jr. “Obviously, he’s been a really big deep-play threat since he first stepped on campus, but now he’s just making plays (all over). He’s realizing what potential he has and what ability he has, and I’m really excited to see where his game goes.”

Known more for his receiving prowess entering college, Smith has expanded his game while modeling himself after Howard in both work ethic and production.

That work ethic has been especially evident in the weight room, where Smith can now bench press 450 pounds, allowing the smaller tight end to better handle one-on-one blocking assignments against even the SEC’s best pass rushers.

“(It was) like he was driving 30-40 miles per hour his sophomore year and he’s taken it to about 60-70 miles per hour now because he really understands what it’s like to play on this level,” Irv Sr., said of his son. “He’s able play every down, and he knows the difference between a blocking play where you need to dominate your guy and a passing play when you have to go out there, run get open and make a big catch.”

And given his many big catches this season, Alabama coach Nick Saban has certainly taken notice.

"Irv is a really good player. He's played well this year. He does all phases of what we do well,” Saban said. “He's a good receiver, he's a good off-the-ball blocker, he's a good on-the-ball blocker. He's got really good hands and he's fast enough to be a threat down the field. So we have some weapons, he's one of them, and hopefully we'll be able to utilize that because sometimes people lose that guy. The tight end is an easy guy to lose."

In spite of the Skins many needs on O-Line, Irving Smith (TE) makes a lot of sense ... Considering the team has to rely on Alex Smith for the next couple of seasons. 

At this juncture (Davis/age, Reed/injury-risk, Sprinkle/JAG ) it's probably better to get someone who can support A. Smith's short passing game range. If this sounds like I'm totally disillusioned with A. Smith; eight games of film tape are starting to convince me that Smith is now nothing but an over-hyped placeholder QB.  A. Smith needs to really show something in Tampa and the next two games afterwards -- or he's McNabb part 2.

Don't get me wrong, Alex is a likeable, polished , veteran QB who handles the press well.  But I have really not enjoyed watching him "lead" the Skins offense.  It's to the point he'll need several good games to convince me he brings any value.  So far, he's let the defense and running game carry him.  That's not good enough.

I would love to nab a TE and could even get on board with the move if he is, head and shoulders, the best on the board when we pick.

That said, the events of the last week or two increase the urgency around getting not one, but two potential OL starters in the draft (ideally a T and a G). 

I think what the Atlanta game showed more than anything is just how slow this team is across the board. We've got to be one of the slowest teams in the league. I don't really know enough about college football to highlight specific players we should target, but I'd like to see at least 2 out of our first 3 picks add speed in some dimension to this team. 

5 hours ago, skinsfan834 said:

I think what the Atlanta game showed more than anything is just how slow this team is across the board. We've got to be one of the slowest teams in the league. I don't really know enough about college football to highlight specific players we should target, but I'd like to see at least 2 out of our first 3 picks add speed in some dimension to this team. 

Yeah our ILBs lack side line to side line speed (Brown is fast but not smart in positioning). OLBs have one gear. No second or third acceleration. Not sure if this is great draft for does. See more depth at other positions. 

15 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

Smith being the QB is no reason for any draft choice. The fact well have a rookie starting soon is a great reason for a TE.

Financially I think Smith is our Qb for two more seasons. I could be wrong. But the money involved with moving on is not good. 

Just now, clskinsfan said:

Financially I think Smith is our Qb for two more seasons. I could be wrong. But the money involved with moving on is not good. 

That's fine. My point is he isnt the future. Adding a top flight TE now, even a possession WR, would season them enough so that when we do add that inevitable rookie QB, hes got sure weapons to get comfortable with. Reliable targets. I dont think it's a big secret as to why Daq looked so good as a rookie, then had a major drop off when Dez broke down and Witten retired. If we begin to invest in the fundamental positions on offense now, itll be on rookie contracts about the time we need to start paying our defense. 

Returning to another man crush, Marquise Brown, he's a small dude, but he has some elements of Tyreek Hill part 2.  When he gets open for the deep ball at times, he gets wide open.  More importantly with this QB, he can take a screen, hitch, etc and take it to the house.  Speed, explosion, really good hands.  And even though he's a small dude, he's not a pure slot guy either. 

In terms of overall philosophy, this team needs to package a number of Day 3 picks into Day 2 picks. We've had pretty deep drafts the last few years and it is a great way to fill the backend of the roster with cheap talent (ex Stroman instead of Scandrick). However, I think we need more impact players who could step in and start Day 1 or, at least, play heavy rotation roles. 

We'll have at least 4 picks in the top 100, with the Cousins comp pick. I'd like to see the team add at least 1-2 more picks in this range (or at least 1 of the top 3-4 picks in the 4th round, where you'll see a lot of talent that was rated with top 60 grades fall to)

We need to target interior OLs/potential RTs, a TE, a shutdown CB with great speed and a speedy 3-4 OLB.

If we have any depth needs after this, fill them with cheap veteran minimum FAs.

I dunno. With FA before the draft, if you think you can grab a player that's gonna get you over the hump when you're firmly a +.500 team, which I think we are, you do it and it doesn't dictate your draft at all.

Example. If Mack was a FA and that was what you think changed the outcome of games like Atlanta and NO and gets you another 3 wins, you sign him. Even over pay. Then during the draft, if the top guy on your boards closest comparison is Mack, you still draft him.

We are a .500 or better team. We cant remain cheap in FA.

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Returning to another man crush, Marquise Brown, he's a small dude, but he has some elements of Tyreek Hill part 2.  When he gets open for the deep ball at times, he gets wide open.  More importantly with this QB, he can take a screen, hitch, etc and take it to the house.  Speed, explosion, really good hands.  And even though he's a small dude, he's not a pure slot guy either. 

yes please... man crush engage

this is exactly what I think this offense is missing.... well...  plus a LG

35 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

I dunno. With FA before the draft, if you think you can grab a player that's gonna get you over the hump when you're firmly a +.500 team, which I think we are, you do it and it doesn't dictate your draft at all.

Example. If Mack was a FA and that was what you think changed the outcome of games like Atlanta and NO and gets you another 3 wins, you sign him. Even over pay. Then during the draft, if the top guy on your boards closest comparison is Mack, you still draft him.

We are a .500 or better team. We cant remain cheap in FA.

Issue is this team has a number of players on rookie contracts you ahve to budget future cap space for (Scherff, Ioannidis, etc)

Archived