Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2019 Comprehensive Draft Thread

Going Commando

Just now, OVCChairman said:

cant tell if youre agreeing with me...

I am not. You dont reach for positions of need.

If we added another stud to our line, we make a very good unit and turn it into a defining dominant unit.

You want to pass on that to get a guard that's not even as good?

Kiper not the best evaluator but he claims his big board and mocks is primarily based on the buzz he's hearing

1. Nick Bosa, DE, Ohio State* Height: 6-foot-4 | Weight: 263 pounds | Previously: 1

I don't expect Bosa's core muscle injury to affect his draft stock. It's not an injury with lasting long-term effects. I would like to see him on the field soon -- the Buckeyes' defensive line isn't the same without him. He's the Class of 2019's best edge rusher, and it's not close. He is advanced for his age in his technique -- you can probably thank his brother, Joey, and dad, John, both former first-round picks -- and he hasn't put up huge numbers because of Ohio State's talented defensive line rotation. He has four sacks in the three games after picking up eight in 2017.

2. Ed Oliver, DT, Houston* Height: 6-3 | Weight: 292 | Previously: 2

On tape, Oliver is just relentless. He never quits. He's the best interior pass-rusher in this class, though he's not quite Aaron Donald. Those are the comps Oliver is going to get until April, but that's not fair to him at this point. He has room to grow in his technique. Oliver uses a quick first step to wreck plays before they can even begin -- he had 39 tackles for loss in his first two seasons, and he has 6.5 this season.

3. Devin White, LB, LSU* Height: 6-1 | Weight: 240 | Previously: 3

White had 133 tackles, 14 tackles for loss, 4.5 sacks and an interception during a spectacular breakout 2017 season. He has dominated this season, too, with 53 tackles, including 6.5 for loss so far. I love his read-and-react ability, and when I went back and watched the 2017 LSU tape, he was all over the field. White is not a true pass-rusher, but he could play outside or inside linebacker at the next level. He has some versatility and is extremely athletic.

4. Andraez "Greedy" Williams, CB, LSU** Height: 6-3 | Weight: 184 | Previously: 7

Williams burst onto the scene in 2017, picking off six passes as a redshirt freshman and emerging as one of the best defensive backs in college football. He has two picks this season, including one in the Tigers' upset over Auburn. Williams has great ball skills and a long, lean frame, and he sticks to wide receivers. The third-year sophomore has top-five talent if he leaves school early.

5. Clelin Ferrell, DE, Clemson* Height: 6-5 | Weight: 265 | Previously: 4

I thought Ferrell could have been a first-round pick in the 2018 draft, when he was a third-year sophomore. He's that good. He had 9.5 sacks last season and is up to six in six games this season. He terrorized Texas A&M and Georgia Southern with two sacks apiece and multiple pressures. Clemson has one of the most talented defensive lines I've ever seen in college football, and Ferrell is the top prospect.

6. Jonah Williams, OT, Alabama* Height: 6-5 | Weight: 301 | Previously: 8

It's not easy to start for Nick Saban as a freshman, and that's exactly what Williams did when he lined up as the right tackle in Week 1 in 2016. Now he has started more than 30 games in two-plus seasons, spending last season on the left side. There's a chance he could move to guard in the NFL, but I like him as a tackle right now.

7. Montez Sweat, DE, Mississippi State Height: 6-6 | Weight: 241 | Previously: 13

I just wrote about why Sweat was moving up on my board. After putting up three sacks in Saturday's win over Auburn, he now has 15 sacks in 18 games since transferring to Mississippi State. Sweat's frame has room for more weight, so he could play outside linebacker in a 3-4 or defensive end in a 4-3. He showed last season that he's one of the best pass-rushers in college football, putting up 10.5 sacks and 15.5 tackles for loss. He has an outstanding takeoff at the snap and good pass-rushing moves.

8. Justin Herbert, QB, Oregon* Height: 6-6 | Weight: 233 | Previously: 14

Check out this video clip. Herbert scrambles out of the pocket against Bowling Green and fires a 50-yard strike to an open receiver in the end zone. That's where he flashes the ability that makes NFL scouts perk up. Now, he has thrown five interceptions against so-so competition thus far -- that's where he flashes the bad stuff. His decision-making was improved last season (he finished No. 12 in the FBS in Total QBR at 80.1, even after missing five games because of a broken collarbone), but there are bad throws at times. I'd like to see more consistency overall, but he has the traits that teams love, and that's why he's my No. 1 quarterback right now. Watch the touchdown throw against Cal above -- that's a great ball.

9. Rashan Gary, DT, Michigan* Height: 6-6 | Weight: 283 | Previously: 5

Gary dominates when he's at his best; just manhandles offensive linemen. The problem? Consistency. A defender this big and this talented should have more than 17 tackles for loss in two seasons. The former No. 1 overall recruit disappears too often for my liking. He has 4.5 TFL this season and is dealing with a shoulder injury that kept him out in the win over Maryland.

10. Deandre Baker, CB, Georgia Height: 5-11 | Weight: 185 | Previously: 10

Passers who went after Baker last season didn't have much luck. He broke up nine passes and had six interceptions. Even after losing Roquan Smith, there is still a ton of talent on the Georgia defense, and it starts with Baker, who has developed into an elite corner. Baker has three more picks this season.

11. Dexter Lawrence, DT, Clemson* Height: 6-5 | Weight: 340 | Previously: 6

As I wrote in my way-too-early Big Board, big-bodied guys who move like Lawrence and can eat gaps don't last long in the draft. And Lawrence has shown that he is more than a plugger -- he had nine sacks in his first two seasons. Turn on the tape, and Lawrence takes on blockers and throws them aside. He hasn't made a huge impact this season, however, as he has only 12 total tackles and one tackle for loss in six games.

12. Jeffery Simmons, DT, Mississippi State* Height: 6-4 | Weight: 300 | Previously: 9

Simmons had two touchdowns last season. In one game. He blocked a punt and recovered the ball in the end zone, then took a fumble 90 yards to the house in the rout of Louisiana Tech. The big man can move. Simmons, a disruptive player on the interior, also chipped in five sacks and 12 tackles for loss in 2017. He has 8.5 tackles for loss this season. Simmons will have to answer to NFL teams about his 2016 arrest.

13. Deionte Thompson, S, Alabama** Height: 6-2 | Weight: 194 | Previously: 17

Nick Saban and Alabama consistently produce NFL-ready defensive backs, and Thompson could be the next in line. After playing in the rotation most of the past two seasons, Thompson stepped in to start two games at the end of 2017. He didn't look out of place. So far in 2018, he has been spectacular, racking up 35 tackles and two interceptions. Thompson has great range and is a natural playmaker. The third-year sophomore has emerged as one of college football's best all-around defensive backs.

14. Josh Allen, OLB, Kentucky Height: 6-5 | Weight: 230 | Previously: 21

I pegged Allen before the season as a potential Day 2 pick, as he broke out in 2017 with seven sacks, 66 tackles and an interception. Allen is disruptive, and he has the length that NFL teams love as a 3-4 outside linebacker. He has six sacks this season, including a three-sack day in the win over South Carolina.

15. Greg Little, OT, Ole Miss* Height: 6-6 | Weight: 325 | Previously: 11

Little is a true left tackle. He won't have to move to the right side in the NFL. He's light on his feet and can get to the second level to take on linebackers, and he consistently overpowers SEC edge defenders at the point of attack.

16. Derrick Brown, DT, Auburn* Height: 6-5 | Weight: 325 | Previously: 12

It's tough to miss Brown on the 2017 Auburn tape. He bullied offensive linemen during a breakout season in which he had nine tackles for loss and 56 total tackles. He's still raw and still developing pass-rushing moves, but the size and athleticism are there to be a top-10 pick. He has four tackles for loss this season.

17. Julian Love, CB, Notre Dame Height: 5-11 | Weight: 193 | Previously: NR

The Fighting Irish are undefeated and playing extremely well, and Love is developing into a shutdown corner. He has broken up 11 passes this season, and he had an interception and a 42-yard fumble return for a touchdown in the win at Virginia Tech. Check it out in the clip above. Love had three picks in 2017, when he started every game as a sophomore.

18. Christian Wilkins, DT, Clemson Height: 6-4 | Weight: 310 | Previously: 20

Wilkins skipped the 2018 draft and decided to return for another season at Clemson. And like his linemate Ferrell, Wilkins could have gone on Day 1 last April. I compared Wilkins last year to former Alabama defensive lineman Jonathan Allen, because he's scheme-versatile and could play end or tackle in the NFL. Wilkins has 5.5 tackles for loss this season. The Clemson defensive line is loaded.

19. Brian Burns, OLB/DE, Florida State* Height: 6-5 | Weight: 235 | Previously: 23

Florida State almost upset Miami on Saturday, and Burns had two sacks in the loss. The twitchy pass-rusher has been a bright spot, with seven sacks in six games. He put up 13.5 tackles for loss and 4.5 sacks last season, after 9.5 sacks as a freshman in 2016. Burns has a lean frame and needs more time in the weight room, but he could grow into a 4-3 end in time. There's a chance he rises even more after the combine.

20. Dre'Mont Jones, DT, Ohio State Height: 6-3 | Weight: 286 | Previously: 22

There was some draft buzz late last year about Jones, who was dominating as a third-year sophomore, though he didn't always show up on the stat sheet. The decision to return to Ohio State looks great -- he is starting to put it all together. You can see some of his athleticism in this clip in which he steps in front of a shovel pass for a pick-six against TCU. He also has 4.5 sacks this season. This is a three-technique tackle with a high ceiling, and he has top-10 pick potential.

21. Raekwon Davis, DE, Alabama* Height: 6-7 | Weight: 316 | Previously: 15

You might remember the massive Davis intercepting Georgia's Jake Fromm in the College Football Playoff national title game last season. He moves extremely well for his size. Davis is still developing pass-rushing moves, but he has the size and athleticism that NFL teams love. He had 8.5 sacks last season but doesn't have any in 2018.

22. Marquise Brown, WR, Oklahoma* Height: 5-9 | Weight: 168 | Previously: 19

I wrote about Brown as a riser a few weeks ago -- he's a big-play threat on every route. He has game-changing speed and is dynamic after the catch. Since the start of the 2017 season, he has 16 catches of 40-plus yards. Brown can play in the slot or outside, creating easy separation with that speed. And he's not one-dimensional; he runs every route that NFL teams want to see. The question is size -- at 5-9, he doesn't look like a No. 1 wide receiver. But the NFL is changing: Speed is everything. He can be a deep threat at the next level, in the mold of John Ross, who has started to flash his talent in Year 2. Brown should be in the discussion for Round 1, especially after he works out at the combine.

23. Zach Allen, DE, Boston College Height: 6-5 | Weight: 285 | Previously: NR

Yes, Allen can get after quarterbacks, but he also was credited with 100 total tackles in 2017. He's not former Boston College first-round pick Luke Kuechly, of course, but he's a complete defender. And Allen was better than 2018 second-round pick Harold Landry last season -- Allen had 15.5 tackles for loss and six sacks. He has 8.5 TFL and 3.5 sacks this season and probably will be a 4-3 end at the next level.

24. Chase Winovich, OLB, Michigan Height: 6-3 | Weight: 255 | Previously: NR

I highlighted Winovich recently as a potential riser, when he had three tackles for loss against Northwestern. He is great at using his hands as a pass-rusher and run defender, and he is always near the action. He has 10.5 TFL so far this season. Winovich can play on his feet or with his hand in the dirt, and that versatility makes him valuable at the next level. I also noted that with the blond hair flowing out of his helmet, he reminds me of Clay Matthews hitting quarterbacks off the edge.

25. Drew Lock, QB, Missouri Height: 6-4 | Weight: 225 | Previously: 16

Lock got off to a hot start, with 13 total touchdowns (11 passing) and only one pick in three games, but he has no touchdown passes and three interceptions in two games against better competition (losses to Georgia and South Carolina). And he completed only 47 percent of his passes in those games. Lock has as much arm talent as any quarterback from the past few drafts, but the question is consistency. He leaves throws on the field, even as he puts up big numbers. Of course, he also hits some big ones, as shown by his 44 touchdown passes and only 13 picks last season.

ReportSave

2 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

I am not. You dont reach for positions of need.

If we added another stud to our line, we make a very good unit and turn it into a defining dominant unit.

You want to pass on that to get a guard that's not even as good?

Not if it's a legitimate drop in ability... but if were talking about a DT is the 35th ranked player in the draft and the LG is the 37th... both expected to have starting ability day 1, and both appear to be a fit for the scheme were in... I go LG.   The DT is going to come in here and likely sit anyway behind what we have now, while the LG can change the scope of the offense.  

If the DT is CLEARLY a better prospect than the LG, yes you take him. 

Just now, OVCChairman said:

Not if it's a legitimate drop in ability... but if were talking about a DT is the 35th ranked player in the draft and the LG is the 37th... both expected to have starting ability day 1, and both appear to be a fit for the scheme were in... I go LG.   The DT is going to come in here and likely sit anyway behind what we have now, while the LG can change the scope of the offense.  

If the DT is CLEARLY a better prospect than the LG, yes you take him. 

Why would the DT sit? The Dline rotates. Nobody plays every snap. Adding another top end talent to that means the entire unit is not only better to start, but fresher to finish.

I'd be happy with either really as long as they were equal. I hope we add two guards on the second day.

3 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

Why would the DT sit? The Dline rotates. Nobody plays every snap. Adding another top end talent to that means the entire unit is not only better to start, but fresher to finish.

I'd be happy with either really as long as they were equal. I hope we add two guards on the second day.

Lol were playin pingpong regarding the draft

7 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

It's another draft that I'd be happy doing just about anything. We could go all offense and I'm good. I really want a Witten type TE and there's 3 potentially first rounders this year.

I think we're actually speaking the same thing, just taking different avenues to get there.. You want BPA at the right time... 

I want to have the best 22 starters I can have and go from there...

Both of us understand that there will be players that may not have been expected to be available, on the board... and just because they don't fit a 'need,' if they can make the team impactfully (if that's even a word) better... we have the luxury to take those players.   I just referenced WRs and you referenced DTs. 

Now that we've been so effective in drafting, we can take a 4th DT over a marginal LG if it's that big of a step up in talent.  I'm ok with taking a WR that may not grad out as well but has a higher upside... if it means he can come in and possibly be a game breaking type player.  

57 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

7. Montez Sweat, DE, Mississippi State Height: 6-6 | Weight: 241 | Previously: 13

I just wrote about why Sweat was moving up on my board. After putting up three sacks in Saturday's win over Auburn, he now has 15 sacks in 18 games since transferring to Mississippi State. Sweat's frame has room for more weight, so he could play outside linebacker in a 3-4 or defensive end in a 4-3. He showed last season that he's one of the best pass-rushers in college football, putting up 10.5 sacks and 15.5 tackles for loss. He has an outstanding takeoff at the snap and good pass-rushing moves.

10. Deandre Baker, CB, Georgia Height: 5-11 | Weight: 185 | Previously: 10

Passers who went after Baker last season didn't have much luck. He broke up nine passes and had six interceptions. Even after losing Roquan Smith, there is still a ton of talent on the Georgia defense, and it starts with Baker, who has developed into an elite corner. Baker has three more picks this season.

My two favourite prospects right now, although if we keep tearing up the league they will both be out of reach come draft day..?

Just now, bird_1972 said:

We totally need OL starters + depth this offseason. I hope the FO prioritizes players without extensive injury histories. 

Day 3 go ahead and draft for need and take some chances.

Day 2 need plays a good part, but you still dont lock into players or positions. 

Day 1 get the best possible player you can at almost any position and find ways to get him on the field. 

Albert Breer, who says his draft board is all about buzz he hears around the league for whatever that's worth

https://www.si.com/nfl/2018/11/15/2019-nfl-draft-big-board-rankings-nick-bosa-justin-herbert

The first round is full of land mines,” says one veteran AFC exec.

“This is not a top–10 type of draft,” adds an AFC college scouting director. “To me, there are a lot pass rushers and D-linemen, but I don’t know that there’s anyone that compares to, say, Bradey Chubb, if you take [Nick] Bosa out of it.”

That sets the backdrop for you. This year’s class is light on the skill positions, and heavy on defensive linemen, with a shaky group of quarterbacks mixed in. How do the players stack up right now? With the help of some veteran evaluators, we here's our first Big Board of the year...

1. NICK BOSA, DE, OHIO STATE

Height: 6' 4" | Weight: 265 pounds
The true junior was the best player in America through three weeks of this season before shutting it down. Assuming he checks out physically coming off his core muscle surgery, he’s the leader in the clubhouse to be the No. 1 prospect going into pre-draft process.

2. QUINNEN WILLIAMS, DL, ALABAMA

Height: 6' 3" | Weight: 295 pounds
Williams didn’t start for the Tide in 2017. A year later, he has a shot to go in the Top 5, which is a good example of how the Nick Saban Machine rolls. And while it may seem a little off to see him ranked higher than Ed Oliver, the disruptive Williams is more scheme versatile than his more ballyhooed counterpart.

3. ED OLIVER, DT, HOUSTON

Height: 6' 2" | Weight: 290 pounds
Oliver has missed the last three weeks after taking an illegal low hit to the knee against Navy, and his status is up in the air for tomorrow’s home finale against Tulane. That said, he’s still the guy who was drawing comparisons to John Randle over the summer. And while not every team loves him (will he come in at 280 or 300 pounds?), for some, he projects as a foundational type player.

4. DEVIN WHITE, STACK LB, LSU

Height: 6' 0" | Weight: 240 pounds
Positional value being what it is, I doubt White—an off-the-ball linebacker—goes this high. But he’s a very good player who could be the nerve center for an NFL defense for a lot of years. He’s a better athlete than last year’s top inside ’backer, Roquan Smith, but isn’t quite as instinctive or productive as the Bears rookie was at Georgia.

5. RASHAN GARY, DL, MICHIGAN

Height: 6' 4" | Weight: 280 pounds
The crazy thing about Gary is that he’s still seen as being pretty raw with a lot of room to grow. And at 280 or so pounds, the buzz is that he’ll run a 40-yard dash in the 4.7s. He may not be the best of the defensive linemen in this class as a rookie, but has the potential to be a monster long-term.

6. CLELIN FERRELL, DE, CLEMSON

Height: 6' 4" | Weight: 265 pounds
Ferrell has picked up where he left off last year. He has 17 sacks in his last 19 games, and is very natural as a pass rusher, both in his build and how he plays.

7. JOSH ALLEN, OLB/DE, KENTUCKY

Height: 6' 4" | Weight: 255 pounds
The biggest question on Allen is how an NFL team will wind up using him. Like Minnesota’s Anthony Barr and Buffalo’s Tremaine Edmunds, he can play on the line or off, and can do a lot of things well. He’s been productive this year, with 11 sacks, 15.5 tackles for losses, five forced fumbles and four pass breakups.

8. JEFFREY SIMMONS, DT, MISSISSIPPI STATE

Height: 6' 3" | Weight: 300 pounds
His background will be a topic of discussion in February and March; as a high schooler he pleaded no contest to simple assault after striking a woman several times during a fight. Conversely, those in Starkville have vouched to NFL teams for the kind of person Simmons has been over his three years on campus. On the field, he’s capable of ruining games from the interior.

9. GREEDY WILLIAMS, CB, LSU

Height: 6' 3" | Weight: 185 pounds
He’s tall and skinny, and isn’t perfect for everyone. But the Seattle-style Cover-3 defense teams will love him, and, of course, he comes from a school with great lineage at his position.

10. DEANDRE BAKER, CB, GEORGIA

Height: 5' 11" | Weight: 185 pounds
Scouts will tell you that Baker is probably a better cover guy than Williams. The problem? He’s about four inches or so shorter than Williams.

11. CHRISTIAN WILKINS, DT, CLEMSON

Height: 6' 3" | Weight: 315 pounds
Wilkins is a freakish athlete who some project to contribute a little on offense in the NFL too, with his natural bend, change-of-direction ability, body control and ball skills. The question will be, as an attacking, upfield type, where he finds his home on defense in the NFL.

12. DEXTER LAWRENCE, DT, CLEMSON

Height: 6' 3" | Weight: 350 pounds
Lawrence is a little antithetical to Wilkins—just a massive body with strength and athleticism to clog up the middle for a defense. The Tigers defense deploys him aggressively, but in the NFL he’ll likely find his value as a brick wall of a run defender.

13. JUSTIN HERBERT, QB, OREGON

Height: 6' 5" | Weight: 230 pounds
Lots of scouts will tell you he’s staying in school, and that he wants to play with his younger brother, who arrives on campus next year. As naturally gifted as Herbert is, he could use a little work—his accuracy has leveled off after a hot start to the season. All that said, given the position he plays, and how it’s drafted, staying in school would probably be a pretty serious gamble.

14. JONAH WILLIAMS, OT, ALABAMA

Height: 6' 5" | Weight: 300 pounds
Williams started at right tackle as a true freshman in 2016—not an easy trick to pull off—before flipping to play the left side last year. He’s in the running for all the postseason honors a lineman can contend for. The question in the pros will be whether he has the traits to play left tackle, or if he’d be better suited to play on the right side or inside.

15. DERRICK BROWN, DT, AUBURN

Height: 6' 4" | Weight: 325 pounds
He’s a little like Lawrence—athletic enough to have third-down potential, but mostly just a gigantic dude who will be a problem for opponents in the run game. He’s listed at 325 pounds, and at 20 years old, he’s got room to grow.

16. MONTEZ SWEAT, DE/OLB, MISSISSIPPI STATE

Height: 6' 5" | Weight: 250 pounds
Another pass-rusher in a class full of them, Sweat is a tall and angular pressure player who will probably go just behind his teammate Simmons.

17. RAEKWON DAVIS, DL, ALABAMA

Height: 6' 6" | Weight: 315 pounds
Davis is different than his teammate Quinnen Williams—much more the big, strong, hold-the-fort type who’d fit right in as a 5-technique in a 3-4 front. And he does have a longer tracker record than Williams too, which does say something since the two were competing for playing time.

18. DRE’MONT JONES, DT, OHIO STATE

Height: 6' 2" | Weight: 290 pounds
Another product from the pipeline of Ohio State defensive line coach Larry Johnson, Jones is scratching the surface of his athletic potential, and has size and burst as a disruptive interior rush man.

19. DEIONTE THOMPSON, S, ALABAMA

Height: 6' 1" | Weight: 195 pounds
Thompson, like Williams, has emerged with increased playing time, and proven to be an instinctive and quick centerfielder of a safety. The big issue with him scouts have – he’s pretty skinny.

20. DEVIN BUSH, STACK LB, MICHIGAN

Height: 5' 11" | Weight: 230 pounds
What Bush lacks in size he makes up for in instincts, speed and intensity. One of the best defensive playmakers in the country, and a linebacker who will need the right fit schematically to thrive in the NFL.

"https:

"

This draft is insane for front 7 talent. You know other positions will work their way up through there and push some of these guys down too. I hope we can finish loading up on ours.

Crazy to think in 3 years we could go from a team that knows we're screwed on 3rd down and long and giving up 5 yards a run, to a defensive front that could lead the league in everything. 

This is not the draft to be trying to fix an offense. It's the draft to finalize a dominant defense. I'd like to come out of it with a solid G and TE, but I'd attack FA for offense and draft defense hog wild this year.

3 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

This draft is insane for front 7 talent. You know other positions will work their way up through there and push some of these guys down too. I hope we can finish loading up on ours.

Crazy to think in 3 years we could go from a team that knows we're screwed on 3rd down and long and giving up 5 yards a run, to a defensive front that could lead the league in everything. 

This is not the draft to be trying to fix an offense. It's the draft to finalize a dominant defense. I'd like to come out of it with a solid G and TE, but I'd attack FA for offense and draft defense hog wild this year.

At the moment, am thinking they let Preston Smith go and angle for a pass rusher in round 1 or 2.  IMO there are too many available possibilities -- plus pass  rusher is a better bet than most positions if you can find a good one in the draft because they cost a fortune in FA. 

Bosa and Ferrell obviously going really early.  But then you never know one of these guys could drop:  Polite, Allen, Burns, Sweat -- the numbers indicate one of them will likely be there at our pick, and can you pass up a bonafide pass rusher?  

I think the same thing. Wouldn't surprise me at all. There's about 5 or 6 guys that would be top 5/10 guys that will slide all the way back because of a log jam at the position. Its awesome for us. Should also be able to land an impact DL or ILB. I'd be perfectly happy to see us grab 2 linebackers first. Day two is going to have first day guys there too.

26 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

I think the same thing. Wouldn't surprise me at all. There's about 5 or 6 guys that would be top 5/10 guys that will slide all the way back because of a log jam at the position. Its awesome for us. Should also be able to land an impact DL or ILB. I'd be perfectly happy to see us grab 2 linebackers first. Day two is going to have first day guys there too.

Yeah I get the theory about in a rich defensive tackle draft, why not take another one.  But it looks like pass rush/OLBs is almost as deep and interesting.  If we have world beaters at tackle then image a bonafide pass rusher also coming off the edge.  I like Kerrigan but he's motor guy.  I'd love a pure athlete with great bend, quick first step and speed on the other side.  Cooley said once talking to O lineman the type of pass rushers that scare O lineman most are speed rushers in obvious passing downs.

I wonder though how intrigued Kyle is with Raekwon Davis if he remains fascinated by Alabama guys.  Davis' teammate, Williams has overshadowed him.  He was a projected top 10 pick before the season now I see him dropping in the late teens in some mocks.  In a deep DT draft, wonder if he drops to our pick.  I haven't studied him but going to one of the Alabama games this year, seeing some of the players up close, that dude physically looks like a monster.  I don't know what his measurables end up being in the combine but the dude definitely has the look of an Alabama dominating D lineman.  He was a sack guy last year but not this year.    Q. Williams is clearly out of reach.  But Davis might be available.   Buggs, another Alabama D lineman, is the guy on their D line doing the most sacks. He doesn't look like a monster though physically like Davis.  He seems to be projected as a 2nd rounder right now.

Another Alabama guy I wonder about as for OLB-pass rush is Christian Miller.  Jennings gets more PR.  But whenever I watch Alabama, Miller just about always has a sack in a game.   He doesn't have elite type of pass rushing traits so am gathering a 3rd-4th round type.  But the dude seems to make plays.  Plays with a lot of hustle.  I recall reading that Saban really likes him.  

5 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

This is not the draft to be trying to fix an offense. It's the draft to finalize a dominant defense. 

I agree. I love the move for Clinton-Dix, well worth a 4th to round out our starting safeties. Get his contract drafted up, extend DJ, job done.

We still have 4 picks in the top 100, I think Norman is on borrowed time and I'd be fairly surprised we hand out a big contract to Preston Smith. Dunbar will still be viewed as one of our staring corners, but I'd be hoping for a CB, dynamic edge rush plus another front 7 body within those top 4 picks. 

Get Guice back and retain AP to ease some pressure from the offense, we just have to find an out and out playmaker for Smith.

Clearly that leaves OL, but with FA to factor in I reckon we could be in decent shape to build on this roster. We aren't really at risk of losing too many key players from our own roster via FA over the next couple of seasons.

No way do I draft a WR in the 1st round again for the forseeable future unless its some mega slam dunk can't miss prospect like Calvin Johnson.

I actually have no problem drafting DL again. Then we can go 4-3 with Ion and the new pick at DE and Payne and Allen at DT. Build an absolutely dominant DL that can carry the team. That's how the Giants won two Super Bowls. Apparently this is an incredibly strong DL draft.

The only issues I have with Breer's mock draft:

- Devin White is way too high.  He's being overrated as a top five talent.  He'll probably go in the teens.

- Devin Bush is also way too high.  No chance a sub 6 foot linebacker goes in the first round.  He's a very good player but his height puts a hard ceiling on his draft range.

- I really believe Dre'Mont Jones is being wildly overrated.  It's not crazy to put him that high based on where the current consensus is ranking him, but I think the whole draftnik consensus is wrong about this kid.  I don't think he's that good at all.  The situation reminds me exactly of Adolphus Washington back in 2016.  The early consensus on him was that he was a mid first rounder but his film wasn't any good either and he had bust written all over him.  I remember Matt Waldman did an RSP film room episode on DTs that year and they covered Adolphus Washington and the guy he was talking to didn't like Adolphus Washington at all.  He was way off from the consensus and saw him as a mid to late rounder and likely bust.  Sure enough, Washington went in the third round and he's already on his third team.

Not sure why we would go DL again unless a top 5 guy somehow fell to us (again); we have a very young front with 2 back to back 1st round picks, both of whom seem to be panning out very well, and another who is on track for a double digit sack season. This draft has plenty of good edge pass rushing talent as well, and the plethora of inside DL coming out will probably push some really good edge talent down the board. That's one of our weaknesses IMO...having a really good speed rusher who can bend the edge and get after the QB from the outside. Kerrigan is a really good player and is a solid pass rusher but he's more of a motor/effort guy. Preston Smith is ok but nothing special...bit of a disappointment after his promising rookie year. 

As soon as I totally crapped on Dre'Mont Jones he had a totally dominant second half against Maryland.  Just bullied the Maryland guards and center and blew up their run game.  Pretty sure he was playing hurt too, that was a gutsy performance.  Very impressive stuff.

He's a unique athlete at the position.  Built more like a DE than a DT.  Zero sloppy weight on him, he's just got a brawny build.  Plays very fast and has the capability to make plays in pursuit.  Reminds me of Allen Bailey--a hulking build that makes him look like a comic book character rather than the prototypical tub of goo you usually see at DT.

Not a lot of sand in his pants so I can't see him making it at the one technique at the next level.  He's going to struggle to anchor inside.  But as a three, four, and five technique, he's got a definite fit in the NFL.

I was wrong about this kid, he's good.  He's grown a lot as a player since the 2017 season and he's so much better than Adolphus Washington was.  Today's performance legit impressed me.  3-4 teams looking for a three down 5 tech that offers a pass rush are going to be looking at him in the first round.  He's a premier athlete at the position and he's stepped up to lead that defense in the absence of Bosa.

Archived