Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2019 Comprehensive Draft Thread

Going Commando

4 minutes ago, Long n Left said:

FAR better than Luck at this stage. The only guy in relative recent memory that comes close is Peyton, and with Lawrence’s athleticism, I’d say his ceiling is even higher. Start hoarding 2021 draft picks, build the rest of the team, then get Lawrence. The future would be so bright😎

"Lose for Lawrence"?

3 hours ago, SemperFi Skins said:

Todd McShay compared Haskins to Alex Smith...

Drew Lock getting Mahomes comparisons..

Will Grier = Andy Dalton

Jarrett Stidham = Derek Carr

Justin Herbert = taller Ryan Tannehill

Seen multiple people compare Lock to Cutler, too.  Don't get the Haskins to Alex Smith comparison -- since when does Alex have a rifle arm?  Just looked at Brugler's mock today, he has Haskins at #6, Lock at #20, no other QB in the first round. 

3 hours ago, SemperFi Skins said:

Todd McShay compared Haskins to Alex Smith...

looked up McShay, do you mean this quote:  It's early, but yes, you're allowed to be thinking about the NFL with this guy. He is the most naturally gifted passer under Urban Meyer since he had Alex Smith at Utah more than a decade ago (Smith went No. 1, of course).

If so that's different than comparing him as a similar style QB.  Haskins has a rocket of an arm.  Heck with Alex there is a discussion among beat guys based on what they heard from Redskins players that noodle armed Colt might even have a stronger arm than Alex.

Haskins worries me. Don't get me wrong...the kid has insane talent and seems to be a top notch guy as well. But I'm always wary of one season wonder QBs who go crazy in college and have video game numbers for one year then declare for the draft. It's a huge gamble to take one, especially using a 1st rounder. 

That being said, if he comes out there's no way we'll be in a position to draft him; someone will pull the trigger in the top 10 easily. Unless we're willing to give up multiple 1st rounders + other picks then it probably isn't worth getting too excited about.

Just now, mistertim said:

Haskins worries me. Don't get me wrong...the kid has insane talent and seems to be a top notch guy as well. But I'm always wary of one season wonder QBs who bust out and have video game numbers for one year then declare for the draft. It's a huge gamble to take one, especially using a 1st rounder. 

That being said, if he comes out there's no way we'll be in a position to draft him; someone will pull the trigger in the top 10 easily. Unless we're willing to give up multiple 1st rounders + other picks then it probably isn't worth getting too excited about.

I understand what you're saying and maybe it's because I'm an OSU homer, but Haskins is the real deal.  He shows tremendous poise and pocket presence and gets through reads quickly.  Easily the most pro-caliber QB talent OSU has had in a long long time.  To me it's not the numbers, it's watching him go through progressions and reading what defenses give him that strikes me more than the excellent arm strength and video game numbers.

1 minute ago, mistertim said:

Haskins worries me. Don't get me wrong...the kid has insane talent and seems to be a top notch guy as well. But I'm always wary of one season wonder QBs who bust out and have video game numbers for one year then declare for the draft. It's a huge gamble to take one, especially using a 1st rounder. 

I would be hesitant to trade up, too. And agree his lack of sample size is concerning. 

In the mix of QBs in this draft he strike me the most intriguing assuming Herbert doesnt come out.

17 minutes ago, thelongestbreath said:

I understand what you're saying and maybe it's because I'm an OSU homer, but Haskins is the real deal.  He shows tremendous poise and pocket presence and gets through reads quickly.  Easily the most pro-caliber QB talent OSU has had in a long long time.  To me it's not the numbers, it's watching him go through progressions and reading what defenses give him that strikes me more than the excellent arm strength and video game numbers.

I think he has all the tools to be the real deal and I was also impressed with his progressions, footwork, and ability to feel pressure while keeping his eyes downfield (though he does seem to sometimes rifle it when it's unnecessary but that's a minor quibble). That being said, I'm still wary in general of taking guys with such a small sample size so early in the draft. That was one of the main reasons I was against trying to trade up and taking Sanchez when he came out...he seemed to have all of the tools but his sample size was limited to one good year.

That being said, if you could get a guy like Haskins and have enough depth at QB to where you're not forced to start him immediately unless he's truly ready then you could have a future star.

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

looked up McShay, do you mean this quote:  It's early, but yes, you're allowed to be thinking about the NFL with this guy. He is the most naturally gifted passer under Urban Meyer since he had Alex Smith at Utah more than a decade ago (Smith went No. 1, of course).

If so that's different than comparing him as a similar style QB.  Haskins has a rocket of an arm.  Heck with Alex there is a discussion among beat guys based on what they heard from Redskins players that noodle armed Colt might even have a stronger arm than Alex.

He goes in to more detail, but yes, that is the quote. I'm thinking McShay is a huge Alex supporter though because he mentions elite game manager skills and arm when comparing Haskins to him.

The decision on if the Skins are going to pick a QB in the draft will be answered in the next 7 days.

if the Skins win both games, the highest likelihood is Gruden and Allen are back, they’ll roll with Colt until they can give Alex another shot.

They lose both, its regime change and probably a new QB.

A split will be intriguing.

4 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

The decision on if the Skins are going to pick a QB in the draft will be answered in the next 7 days.

if the Skins win both games, the highest likelihood is Gruden and Allen are back, they’ll roll with Colt until they can give Alex another shot.

They lose both, its regime change and probably a new QB.

A split will be intriguing.

Even if they are back, I think QB could be on the table.  Alex might not be back until mid season 2019 or 2020.  Colt is typically injury prone.  Neither is young.  Personally, I am ok with waiting for 2020 considering the superior crop, however, they might have to trade up to get their man that year. 

Lock and Haskins have some legit arm strength. Those boys can definitely zip it.

I wouldn't mind taking a swing on one or the other if they somehow were available when the skins pick, or even if they had to trade up a bit to get one or the other..

You miss 100% of the shots you don't take right?

Time to channel some Rex Grossman, **** it, I'm going deep. Take a chance on a guy and if he doesn't pan out, try again. Not like anything else they've tried around here the last 25 years has worked out either.

Maybe the team can catch lightning in a bottle.. but knowing this place they're more apt to get struck by it (RG3, Shuler, etc)

3 hours ago, OVCChairman said:

Man if we a draft pick high enough to take Lawrence in 2021, that's gonna be a long 2.5 years.  The timeline works with the Alex and Jay's contract, and I can't see a scenario where Bruce is here at that point either, but man... 

Trade picks in 2019 for picks in 2020 and 2021.

27 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Even if they are back, I think QB could be on the table.  Alex might not be back until mid season 2019 or 2020.  Colt is typically injury prone.  Neither is young.  Personally, I am ok with waiting for 2020 considering the superior crop, however, they might have to trade up to get their man that year. 

This is the whole issue with being mediocre year in and year out and not having a QB. You aren't good enough to get far in the playoffs or to the SB, yet you aren't bad enough to actually get top draft spots where you can take a blue chip QB prospect to build around. Obviously that doesn't mean you can't get a really good QB later but it will be a guy who at least a handful of other teams passed on for one reason or another. 

Depending on who comes out after next season, 2019 or/and 2020 are both looking to potentially be good drafts for QBs. 2018 is decidedly "meh". That's a reason I think it would probably be smart for Haskins to declare; in a QB rich class his lack of sample size would probably push him down the boards but in a weak QB class he has enough tools and upside to likely be taken top 5. 

That being said, I think whether they go QB this year depends on who they would bring in if we lost the rest of our games and they axed Gruden. Also whether or not Allen would be out too and we'd get an actual GM to oversee the HC selection process. 

1 hour ago, mistertim said:

This is the whole issue with being mediocre year in and year out and not having a QB. You aren't good enough to get far in the playoffs or to the SB, yet you aren't bad enough to actually get top draft spots where you can take a blue chip QB prospect to build around. 

Agree 100%.  For example all the thoughts by people including me about waiting for Tua-Fromm in 2020 -- well those guys are likely going #1 and #2 in the draft.  If we do our 7-9, 8-8 dance we'd have to give up a kings ransom to trade up.

Depending on who comes out after next season, 2019 or/and 2020 are both looking to potentially be good drafts for QBs. 2018 is decidedly "meh". That's a reason I think it would probably be smart for Haskins to declare; in a QB rich class his lack of sample size would probably push him down the boards but in a weak QB class he has enough tools and upside to likely be taken top 5. 

Agree. 

I didn't really watched college football with an eye on the QBs this year, and I am regretting that now.  I've watched a lot of Tua and Fromm.   The way Lock is described is intriguing but haven't really watched him.  Watched a bunch of Grier and Haskins this year. Wonder though if its easier to nail a QB and hope to get lucky in a draft like this considering we likely have little shot at the top prospects in 2020.   Not that I can pick QBs -- its a crap shoot for the experts let alone laymen like me but its more entertaining for me if I followed these guys career some.  Don't really know much about Lock, D. Jones, Rypien, etc.

That being said, I think whether they go QB this year depends on who they would bring in if we lost the rest of our games and they axed Gruden. Also whether or not Allen would be out too and we'd get an actual GM to oversee the HC selection process. 

I wonder on that front.  Because you still might have the dynamic of Alex retiring or not being ready until 2020 and a brittle Colt at the helm -- let alone diminishing stadium attendance and TV ratings. And with all the salary tied to QB, you don't really go with FA or a trade for a veteran.  Dan might get antsy.

@Skinsinparadise Said to my buddy the other day that I think the QB draft class not being considered “strong” and that many teams are either set or have a guy in waiting at QB they won’t give up on anytime soon could play to our benefit. Would feel much better about Colt/Alex at QB for a year if I knew someone with promise was behind them. And while none of these guys are clean prospects, from the little I’ve been reading there is some intriguing talent there. Don’t reach though or force the issue. And definitely don’t trade a kings ransom for one of these guys.

4 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Nah, if it’s status quo, they’ll roll with McCoy and sign some crappy veteran as a backup, like Sanchez, who’s already here.

Then they’ll give Alex every opportunity to come back and start.

Unless Colt lights it up, in which case they’ll just ride that as long as possible.

Might they draft a guy in the 7th? Sure. But probably not much before that.

5 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

Nah, if it’s status quo, they’ll roll with McCoy and sign some crappy veteran as a backup, like Sanchez, who’s already here.

Then they’ll give Alex every opportunity to come back and start.

Unless Colt lights it up, in which case they’ll just ride that as long as possible.

Might they draft a guy in the 7th? Sure. But probably not much before that.

I wouldn't rule it out completely. Remembering that all this team's moves are made to help Bruce's job security, a combination of "The QB I traded for got hurt, not my fault" and "We have to wait and give Jay a chance to develop the QB I just drafted" adds up to a nice 1-2 punch of excuses he can use to lobby for continued employment.

6 minutes ago, Rufus T Firefly said:

I wouldn't rule it out completely. Remembering that all this team's moves are made to help Bruce's job security, a combination of "The QB I traded for got hurt, not my fault" and "We have to wait and give Jay a chance to develop the QB I just drafted" adds up to a nice 1-2 punch of excuses he can use to lobby for continued employment.

Now that thought is going to fester..

Archived