Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2019 Comprehensive Draft Thread

Going Commando

2 hours ago, Alcoholic Zebra said:

Todd McShay released his Big Board with the Top 32 prospects.  It's not looking good for teams needing offensive help.  It's a loaded defensive draft though.  Here are all of the offensive players in his Top 32.

#12, OT, Jonah Williams

#14, OT, Cody Ford

#18, QB, Dwayne Haskins

#20, QB, Justin Herbert

#21, OT, Greg Little

#25, OT, Jawaan Taylor

#27, WR, Marquise Brown

#29, TE, Noah Fant

#31, TE, Irv Smith Jr.

That's only 9 players.  That's nothing.  The first guy is 12th.  The first QB is 18th.  The first WR is 27th.  There aren't any RB's.  He does have two TE's in, which is above the average.

This works in our favor imho.  We can either inflate trade value for an offensive starved team who falls in love with a guy, and the bulk of those guys being in the 2nd half of the round means it's more like 'our guy' if we fall in love with him will be there.  

If there's a scramble toward the top of the draft for some of these offensive guys, it means even better defensive players will fall, simply because of supply and demand.  At this point we're not in a position to pass over any stud.  I'll admit i dont know if I want to take a DT in the 1st if we can instead get one of those Tackles, but if there is a stud CB, MLB, EDGE, S... i'd have no problem taking them at this point as each of those positions are likely to be losing a starter.  

Guessing nobody knows anything on Jalen Hurts, QB from Alabama? just trying to find out what you guys think of how he could do in the NFL, or if he’s entering the draft. 

Not sure how to adjust the quote, and ES is being stupid and not letting me quote something from anything but the current page.  So if this is how you mention somebody, we'll find out.  @Cooleyfan1993

If jalen Hurts declared for the draft, I think he'd go undrafted.  I don't think he can do anything in the NFL.

I am 51 years old and have been a Redskins fan my entire football life dating back to 1972. In my lifetime the Skins have never had a run of a QB who could be considered a "franchise" QB....we've had some good ones but nobody who sustained over a decade. That tells me that we need to focus on other factors while searching for the right QB, things like scouting, coaching, organizational structure and building these team in the trenches through the draft and wise free agent spending. In the Skins glory years, we had 4 different QB's and 4 different running backs featured....the constants were the offensive line and good players made great by outstanding schemes and coaching. in other words, don't hold your breath waiting for a franchise QB but if you see the opportunity to grab your guy you better go get him. 

To me, the Bears are doing it right and have made a quick turnaround. They made some bold moves, dealing 1st round picks to get Mack and Trubisky, hired a bright offensive minded coach and have a group of weapons on offense where they filled in through free agency and the draft. The Eagles did the same thing by dealing up to grab Wentz while signing some key free agents and hiring an offensive minded coach from a solid organization. Malcolm Jenkins was a huge free agent signing for them. Why can't we take a page from this book? 

Jay has proven that he is an ok coach in some areas but is below average in others. He has lost to some bad Giants teams and coaches virtually every year, Dallas could roll out the Rolling Stones on offense and beat the Skins at least once a year and the Eagles have now turned the tables on Jay as well after being the one team in the division that he could dominate. It's time to move on from Jay and revamp the offensive line while smartly bringing in free agent skill players and drafting a QB to groom for our future. Bring in a defensive coordinator who has a track record of success or a guy who has learned under someone who's been successful. And of course, fire Bruce so all of the above is possible.

I thought it would be instructive to watch Drew Lock vs an NFL caliber defense. He has a big arm, and makes some great throws, but he missed some short/easy passes in ugly fashion, carelessly lost a fumble and threw two pics, one of which was either horrible, or the receiver didn't break as expected in the end zone. 

I don't think he has a problem with the short game.  He's a fairly accurate passer.  I think the real issue is his weakness at managing pressure.  He's a statue and his accuracy and decision making tank when he's staring down the rush.  He's also not particularly good at throwing on the run.

He needs a clean pocket to operate well.  Very similar issues to what Jared Goff had at Cal, and still has in St Louis.

That was a rough game.  They were missing their NFL receiver who is probably the only other guy on their offense who will get drafted with Lock.  He faces high end defenses every weak, and had a couple of good games against them.  He lit up Florida later in the season when Hall was back, and the year before he lit up Kentucky and Georgia.

He is what he is--a good but not great prospect.  You can win with him at QB if not because of him.  And he might be the best option we have because he'll probably still be available in the late first to early second.  We're not getting Haskins.  And even Herbert might go well before we pick.  We won too many games this year.

We got screwed by the Alex Smith injury.  Team is built and ready to win and they are too good to tank for and then wait on an elite QB prospect.

1 hour ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

I don't think he has a problem with the short game.  He's a fairly accurate passer.  I think the real issue is his weakness at managing pressure.  He's a statue and his accuracy and decision making tank when he's staring down the rush.  He's also not particularly good at throwing on the run.

He needs a clean pocket to operate well.  Very similar issues to what Jared Goff had at Cal, and still has in St Louis.

That was a rough game.  They were missing their NFL receiver who is probably the only other guy on their offense who will get drafted with Lock.  He faces high end defenses every weak, and had a couple of good games against them.  He lit up Florida later in the season when Hall was back, and the year before he lit up Kentucky and Georgia.

He is what he is--a good but not great prospect.  You can win with him at QB if not because of him.  And he might be the best option we have because he'll probably still be available in the late first to early second.  We're not getting Haskins.  And even Herbert might go well before we pick.  We won too many games this year.

We got screwed by the Alex Smith injury.  Team is built and ready to win and they are too good to tank for and then wait on an elite QB prospect.

He's got a fast release and throws a laser. I think his arm and release are special. I don't think he gets past mid first round. 

46 minutes ago, Anselmheifer said:

He's got a fast release and throws a laser. I think his arm and release are special. I don't think he gets past mid first round. 

You could be right.  But I think that's his ceiling.

He's kind of a poor man's Goff/Phil Rivers.  He's not a dime dropper like Rivers and he's not as good at throwing on the move as Goff is, nor does he have Goff's touch throwing in the middle of the field.

I like him as a prospect, but I don't love him.  I could live with pulling the trigger on him in the teens because the position is so important.  But I don't feel great about it.  I worry about the value and our ability to protect and develop him.  I just worry about a guy who panics and turns it over in the face of pressure.  And I worry about a guy who can't run with this OL.

But I'm not sure we have a better choice.  Our QB situation is a mess.

Part of me hopes Lock gets taken before we pick so that it's out of our hands.  Then maybe we can just make value picks and go after Flacco.

DK Metcalf, WR, Ole Miss, RS SO - 6.25

Strengths
- King sized split end.  Almost the size of a TE.  Already has his man-strength and is ready to step on an NFL field tomorrow.
- Long strider with dangerous straight line speed
- Good body lean on his stem.  Builds up steam quickly.  Eats into cushions quick.
- Strong bodied.  Tough to reroute on the jam
- Strong lower half.  Hard to bring down after the catch
- Crowding him at the break doesn't work
- Very fluid and economical with his vertical routes.  Doesn't waste steps.  Disguises the post well at the end of the stem
- Shoulder fakes on double moves are deadly
- Plays with good awareness of what's going on with the QB.  Able to change his plan as needed
- Does a good job adjusting to deep throws in the air
- Knows how to use his size to shield defenders from the throwing lane
- Jump ball winner who can bail your offense out of broken reps with big chunk plays.  Comfort blanket for a QB
- Sticky blocker when he latches on at the edge.
- Long arms give him a big catch radius.  Hard to overthrow
- Nice looking juke step and strong hands on his inside leverage release
- Surprisingly fluid lateral athlete for his size

Weaknesses
- No variety to his game.  Lines up on the numbers as a split end 100% of the time.
- Ran a tiny set of routes.  Almost everything he runs is vertical.  Either some kind of post, go, or comeback.
- Almost no experience running slants.  Digs are rounded off and half-hearted
- No screen game
- Very little wiggle.  If he doesn't beat you with speed or power, you'll get him down. Not a big YAC threat
- Not a burner.  Speed on the outside can hang with him deep
- Release speed off the line is ordinary
- Very limited collegiate production
- Suffered a serious neck injury in October that ended his season and required surgery

I'm not sure if he's coming out this year, or what his injury status is heading into the pre-draft process.  He could certainly end up going back to school.  He reminds me very much of Kelvin Benjamin at FSU, before he tore his ACL and got heavy and slow.

I think he's probably the highest upside outside receiver in the class.  He's just gifted physically, and he plays the game with toughness and awareness.  I'd argue that he has the best all around package of tools.  Not the vertical threat that Marquise Brown is, but he almost is.  Not the red zone threat or jump ball winner that JJ Arcega-Whiteside is, but he almost is.  His skill set is really clean, if a bit limited.  For me the real issue is his lack of production and the injury history.  And I wish I'd been able to see him with a much bigger target load and running some more NFL routes to know if he can do it.

His size gives him a huge margin for error and a high floor, but being able to run a broader route tree well and get more involved in the offense will determine whether he can become a legit star in the NFL or remain merely a nice vertical option on the outside.

I think he's a first round caliber talent, but I can understand dropping him to the second round because of the injury and lack of career production. He's one of the most talented offensive skill position players in the class.

David Montgomery, RB, Iowa St, SR - 6.7

Strengths
- Vision is great
- Decisive between the tackles runner
- Excels at getting skinny to use cutback creases between the tackles
- Exceptionally patient
- Elite contact balance
- Very twitchy athlete.  Stop-start ability is elite
- Lateral speed is outstanding.  Doesn't need any time at all to gather himself after cuts
- Speed to bounce runs wide against an overextended front
- Strong spin move
- Effortlessly runs through or slips out of arm tackles
- Fluid hips and shoulders
- Routinely creates for himself behind the LoS.  Digs you out of negative play situations
- Shocking power in his little frame.  Stiff arm makes defenders look silly
- Leg drive is outstanding
- Chain mover who is an awesome short yardage back.  One of the best I've ever seen on third/fourth and short
- Consistently runs with low pads
- Solid receiver out of the backfield.  Hands look soft
- Willing blocker.  He'll bruise your ribs and reroute unwary defensive ends.  Strong awareness for recognizing stunts and delays.  Shows real toughness at picking them up and good accuracy on his cut blocks

Weaknesses
- A little narrow framed.  Narrow through his lower half.  Looks smaller than his listed size of 5-11 216
- Doesn't have the speed to press the edge on field side outside runs
- Doesn't have high end breakaway speed.  Not a home run hitter
- Not much of a receiving threat.  Doesn't line up out wide.  Only runs out of the backfield

I don't really have a lot of complaints about Montgomery.  His skill set is very strong and he has a very rare feel for his position.  He's just physically limited.  He'd be a Saquon Barkley clone if he were bigger and faster.  That's how good his skills are.  Wish he was bigger through his lower half in particular but he has narrow hips.

He's been the second best offensive skill player in the class after Dwayne Haskins that I've evaluated so far.  I think he's a definite first round talent, but whether or not he goes that high will depend on his 40 time at the combine.  I think he needs to run in the 4.4s to be a lock.  If he doesn't run well and ends up going in the second round, then he would be one of the biggest value picks in the class.

He's a workhorse chain mover who is a potential star with Probowl caliber upside.  He doesn't need a ton of snaps to get rolling because he's so exceptionally creative and good at running inside that he'll be productive in a time share.  I think he's a great fit for us in particular who would be a seamless upgrade over what Adrian Peterson has been for us this season.  He's one of my favorite players in this class and I hope we get him.  I would bang the table for this kid.

Just heard Mark Rypien on 106.7 pump up his nephew as a possibility to the Redskins.  As I've said on this thread before can Dan resist the narrative?  Plus he will save you from using the first rounder on a QB -- depending on the mock, I see Rypien now everywhere from the 2nd round to the 5th.  3rd round being the most common.

I only watched him a little in one game and his build reminded me of Colt McCoy -- in other words that his body would snap from big hits.  The rap on him seems to be he's accurate, gritty and clutch but without a big arm.  He's playing in a bowl game against Boston College on the 26th and he will play in the East-West game, too.  I'll lock in then. 

The more I read up on players, the more I think it would be almost criminal not to get a pass rusher in this draft, 1st or 2nd round.  Lot of hype for Jaylon Ferguson am noticing recently including Mcshay putting him in the first round of his mock.   Sweat, Ferguson, Allen, Polite, Ximines, Burns, Ferrell.   Almost as good as the D tackle class. 

He's big.  A lot of the edge guys in this class are undersized.  Either short like Oshane Ximines, Sutton Smith, Chase Winovich, D'Andre Walker, and Jachai Polite.  Or beanpoles like Montez Sweat and Brian Burns.  Ferguson is prototypical.  Looks bigger than Bosa and Allen.  Maybe even as big as Clelin Ferrell.

There is a definite man-amongst-boys quality to him, but some of that is due to him playing in a weaker conference and already being 23.  What you see is what you get with him.

On 12/19/2018 at 9:21 PM, Anselmheifer said:

He's got a huge arm yeah, but his issues under pressure really bother me. If you watch his highlights a bunch of them are him throwing a nice pass after having TONS of time, but in games against decent defenses with a good pass rush he seems to struggle. His pressure awareness doesn't appear all that sharp and his accuracy nose dives when under duress. No doubting his arm talent but I agree with @stevemcqueen1...Lock is a good but not great prospect. I'd actually take Will Grier over Lock. Obviously his arm talent isn't near Lock's (Lock has a cannon) but he's far better under pressure and doesn't disappear for stretches at a time against decent opponents like Lock seems to.

4 hours ago, UK SKINS FAN '74 said:

Josh Norman is getting canned to make cap room for Bruce to bring in Flacco.

If not Flacco, Gruden has somehow survived the cull and rolls with McCoy.

First round is looking like a DB to me. QB will come on day 2.

I agree, I was going to like your post, but anything suggesting Flacco being our QB I just can't bring myself to like... even though you weren't saying you were in favor of it.  The text is just.... not likeable. 

I'm actually against going QB this year unless we have new GM / HC in place.  If there is a sure fire no 1 DB there,  i'm with ya.  I think we're lacking playmakers on both sides of the ball.  We've built the interior of the line so lets get some guys in here that can influence the game.  DB, WR, TE (if it's worth it), MLB, guys who have the ability to change the game any time they're involved in a play.  

I think my preference would be:

Rd 1:  OLB

Rd 2: G or ILB

Rd 3: QB and whichever we didn’t get in the second - ILB or G

I’m torn on qb though.  If we like one in the first, I’ll understand grabbing one, but I’d hate to miss out on improving OLB/ILB/G.  A qb as early as the 3rd likely means we can’t put them on the PS.  I want to add a corner, I’m just not sold on them making the impact we need.  

9 hours ago, UK SKINS FAN '74 said:

Josh Norman is getting canned to make cap room for Bruce to bring in Flacco.

If not Flacco, Gruden has somehow survived the cull and rolls with McCoy.

First round is looking like a DB to me. QB will come on day 2.

There’s no way we can pay Smith 20 million a year to not play and then pay Flacco 20 million to play.

the math doesn’t even remotely add up.

There is no chance next year we will have cap room to go with anybody except a rookie, McCoy and Smith on PUP.

3 hours ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

There’s no way we can pay Smith 20 million a year to not play and then pay Flacco 20 million to play.

the math doesn’t even remotely add up.

There is no chance next year we will have cap room to go with anybody except a rookie, McCoy and Smith on PUP.

I wouldn't advocate that option, but the math could add up quite easily.

33 minutes ago, UK SKINS FAN '74 said:

I wouldn't advocate that option, but the math could add up quite easily.

40+ million on one position?  I’m not sure how that’s even possible.  Unless you are tanking and trying to take the entire hit of Alex’s contract in one year, and you’re ok losing. 

If you’re tying to win, and signing Flacco would indicate that, you e tied up 1/3 of your cap, and you’d lose anyway.

Its not going to happen.

Archived