Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2019 Comprehensive Draft Thread

Going Commando

I just did a deep-dive on what the Cap situation looks like and who we'd likely cut/sign/extend ...

It's not going to be pretty however you slice it. We have some depth and youth at CB and Safety (assuming Nicholson isn't suspended) ... but I would put our chances of bringing back Zach Brown, Mason Foster, Clinton-Dix, Josh Norman and Preston Smith as pretty minimal. You can't rely on Rueben Foster's availability. So you're likely going to go into the off-season with gaping holes at EDGE, CB1, FS, SS and ILB.

On offense the attrition won't be nearly as bad. But I doubt you'll be able to bring back Crowder. I think the most likely re-sign is Jonathan Cooper to compete at LG and provide depth. And the team likely parts with Vernon Davis as his play this year has dropped off tremendously and cutting him frees up $5m in cap space.

So you go into Free Agency with about $40 million in cap space. Of that, we'll assume $7 million will be allocated for the rookie pool. The team never expends its full cap space in FA, and typically goes into the season with about $10 million in cap space. So assuming we have $17 million in space going into the draft ... that leave about $23 million to spend on re-signing players and getting FAs. We can expect that each FA/Re-signed player will count about $2-3m in Y1 below the AAPY contract value as the team has a lot of cap space freeing up in 2020 and especially 2021 to kick some money, particularly as that is likely when Smith's albatross comes off the books (if he doesn't play again).

So that leaves this:

CB: Dunbar, Moreau, Stroman, Johnson, Alexander, Holsey

S: Nicholson, Apke, Everett

ILB: Dion-Hamilton, Harvey-Clemons, R. Foster

EDGE: Kerrigan, Anderson

Yeah, there are some blatantly glaring holes there. Yes, you've drafted fairly well and hope that some of these guys begin to emerge, especially in the secondary. But you're lacking clear top-end talent in the secondary and have substantial depth issues at LB. At CB, you could entertain the idea that Adonis Alexander was a redshirt this year and would be a 1st-3rd round pick in the 2019 draft. Which sounds nice, but you still aren't sure what he'll give you. Maybe you look at CB and think "I like our upside, we can get away without having a true shut-down going into the draft" ... but you're also likely going to be going into the draft with needs at LG and EDGE, which to get top-end talent you'll need to spend a 1st or 2nd on an Edge and a 1st/2nd/3rd on a Guard.

I think you have to look at FA and the $23m you have to spend there and hope to bring in a stud ILB and a stud S or CB just to give yourself the ability to enter the draft without gaping holes. Probably need to bring in a couple cheaper vets at EDGE as well.

Best-case scenario, IMO, is you can re-sign HaHa and Preston to team-friendly deals (unlikely) and bring in a stud ILB like CJ Mosley (Bama boy) from Baltimore.

In that best-case scenario, you now go into the draft likely needing to draft a CB in the Rounds 1-3 ... a LG/C in Rounds 1-3 ... and a WR in Rounds 1-3. Then your secondary needs become a young TE in Rounds 3/5/5 ... young depth at EDGE in that same range ... and likely SWR, ILB, S for depth.

If you sign Mosely and Rueben Foster actually players ... ILB becomes a massive strength with Dion-Hamilton, Harvey-Clemons and a mid-round pick.

EDGE is more-or-less standing pat with Smith/Kerrigan/Anderson but you'll need either a cheap vet or two for depth or a mid-round pick for upside and depth.

CB at best is Dunbar-Moreau-Alexander with Stroman, Johnson and Holsey as your depth but you'll need to get another top-end CB in there as you probably can't expect Alexander to step up as a true CB1 yet, even if in the best-case world he would be viewed as a R1 value in the 2019 draft as he had as his ceiling pre-spllemental draft.

Safety with Clinton-Dix, Nicholson, Apke and Everett is solid as long as Nicholson doesn't lose time. But you likely need another piece in there for depth from the draft, esp. with Apke's unknowns

Daniel Jones NFL comparison is Rich Gannon

Pro Comparison:  Rich Gannon

It took Gannon a long time to get his shot in the NFL because, like Jones, he came out of a school that wasn’t known for being a football power in Delaware. However, it soon became clear he could play top level football. His mix of strong, accurate passing, intelligence and mobility propelled him to becoming a four-time Pro Bowler and league MVP in 2002. The scary part is Jones can do many of the same things and is two inches taller and 5-10 lbs heavier.

For Daniel Jones, a few draft guys I follow on Twitter have him as their QB1 now that Herbert is going back to Oregon. If he's in that discussion with Haskins, I would have a hard time believing he'd last to our pick. Mitch Trubisky was similarly a "top QB" option around this time a couple years ago coming from a decent but non-powerhouse UNC and as a one-year starter. I think the conversation around this time of the "Off-Season" was that he was a 1st/2nd round guy but not necessarily elite. 4 months later he was going Top 3. It happens. If this guy truly is a Rich Gannon comp. and the QB1, he's going to go Top 5. It's just the way of the QB world these days.

Here are some guys I'm going to be following this off-season on the OL. It truly is a deep interior OL class.

Elgton Jenkins, C Mississippi State (Round 1) - seems elite

Cody Ford, G Oklahoma (Round 1) - seems elite

Chris Lidstrom, G Boston College (Round 2-3)

Michael Deiter, G Wisconsin (Round 2-3)

Garrett Bradberry, C N.C. State (Round 2-3)

Beau Benzschavel, G Wisconsin (Round 3-5)

Ross Pierschbacher, C Alabama (Round 3-5)

Connor McGovern, C Penn State (Round 3-5)

Sean Rawlings, C Ole Miss (Round 4-6)

There are others in the mix in the Round 2-5 discussion but these guys seem to have the most upside. Rawlings is a guy that was hurt to start the year which could have dinged his stock, but has a solid career and played very well down the stretch ... guys like him tend to fall due to injury but then end up playing really well in the NFL. I would pencil him in as someone you could mock to the Redskins in the 5th round range if you choose to wait on addressing it.

Lidstrom could be the riser. He reads like a road-grader. Same with the two Guards from Wisconsin. Jenkins from Miss. State and Cody FOrd both sound like the sure-fire 1st round talents.

It looks like we could have a lot of options on the interior in that 1st-3rd round range. There's so many players in that range now that it wouldn't shock me if we were able to land a plug-and-play Guard or Center in the 3rd.

Really wish we had that 4th we gave up for Clinton Dix. Unless we re-sign him.

Ideal Way-Too-Early Mock Right now:

1st: Mack Wilson, ILB Alabama

2nd: Marquise Brown, WR Oklahoma

3rd: Michael Deiter, G Wisconsin

3rd: Christian Miller, EDGE Alabama

I'd be tempted to go CB in the 1st round since there's such a dirth of talent there. But with FA still to come, and not knowing whether or not we release Josh Norman --- just didn't want to center the draft around going CB. If we keep Norman and say, re-sign Clinton-Dix (as unlikely as that sounds) the secondary could be written off as "secure" to buy another year of developing the young talent.

It would be pretty hard to pass up Mack Wilson. Along with Dion-Hamilton and maybe Rueben Foster, the 3 Bama ILBs and 2 Bama DL would lock up the middle.

I know Marquise Brown is undersized, but he is just such a playmaker. We really need someone like that, and he fits the mold the most IMO.

Wisconsin OL are getting some love lately, but there are so many interior options in that Day 2 range that someone who can start will be there in the 3rd.

And obviously another pass-rusher from Bama. I think this becomes less important if we re-sign Preston Smith ... but you can never have too many edge guys.

QB is obviously the elephant in the room. But going into the draft, I have to imagine we go defense heavy with 3 exceptions: WR, LG or C, and TE

I think right now we're projected to have:

1st, 2nd, 3rd, 3rd, 5th, 5th, 6th, 7th, 7th

Not that those later rounds are slam-dunk roster spots ... but I think with your first 6 picks in the Top 5 Rounds, you should go 3 Offensive positions and 3 defensive positions, then hit defense depth with 6/7/7

19 minutes ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

Ideal Way-Too-Early Mock Right now:

1st: Mack Wilson, ILB Alabama

2nd: Marquise Brown, WR Oklahoma

3rd: Michael Deiter, G Wisconsin

3rd: Christian Miller, EDGE Alabama

\

This mock sings to me some, all players I've talked about on the thread.  Some say Mack isn't coming out.  Looks like 50-50 on that count.  

Wonder if Marquise Brown is still there though in the mid 2nd.  Maybe.  Jazzed in 2 days am headed to the game where I can see 3 of those 4 players in person. 2nd time seeing Alabama live this year.  

Christian Miller seems to go below the radar but the dude makes plays, smart dude, getting his master's degree, a captain, etc. 

Switching back to QB

https://sports.yahoo.com/justin-herberts-decision-return-oregon-means-nfl-draft-170018208.html

“He can sling it, man,” one scout told Yahoo Sports about Haskins on Wednesday afternoon. “I wanted to see him take that next step that season [to making plays] when the play breaks down, extend the pocket with his feet. His ceiling is tremendously high.”

What about Jones? He’s got less buzz, thanks to Duke’s milquetoast 7-5 season that ended with a 59-7 loss to Wake Forest. Jones’ numbers don’t pop, as he missed two games to injury and finished with 17 touchdowns and seven interceptions. He’s 6-foot-5, 200 pounds and comes from the gilded lineage of being a David Cutcliffe quarterback.

“I think it’s a toss-up between Haskins and Jones,” said the scout. “I can see Haskins going No. 3 and Jones going No. 5. The thing with Jones is that Cutcliffe is a quarterback guru, so you know he’s going to be smart and efficient and learn the system right away.”

While those two are the likely top choices, Missouri’s Drew Lock and West Virginia’s Will Grier have a chance to move up because of the wide-spread quarterback need.

3) Is it too early to peek at the 2020 draft? (We did on Wednesday, talking to scouts about left-hander Tua Tagovailoa’s pro prospects.) It’s safe to cast Justin vs. Tua as the defining debate for the 2020 NFL draft, as no one in the NFL would be surprised if they ended up No. 1 and No. 2 overall. There’s plenty of football left this season, with Tagovailoa potentially playing two more games, never mind next year. But expect those two to be the faces of college football in 2019 and likely the NFL draft in 2020.

Yahoo asked a scout whom he’d take right now, with the understanding that there’s a lot of work left.

“If I was on the clock right now, I’d go with Herbert,” the scout said. “He’s taller and fits the prototype more. I really like his arm strength and ability to stay in the pocket. Tua has three or four first-round picks on offense with him, and Herbert has Dillon Mitchell. That’s pretty much it. Tua has a lot to work with. He’s got first- and second-rounders galore around him that makes his job easier.”

4) Multiple scouts told Yahoo Sports on Wednesday that Herbert’s decision wasn’t much of a surprise. Jeff Hawkins, a senior associate athletic director who is a liaison to the NFL, swore to anyone who’d listen that Oregon expected Herbert back. The reasons were simple: He grew up in Oregon, had a near-4.0 GPA in biology and valued his degree. He also will get to play with his brother, Patrick, a four-star tight end who is part of coach Mario Cristobal’s star-studded recruiting class. (He announced his brother’s decision with this clever tweet.)

Because of those factors, there’d been buzz from Oregon all year that Herbert wouldn’t go pro. But oftentimes the financial reality overcomes potential sentimentality and educational opportunity. But Herbert stayed, referencing his “feelings of gratitude toward the people that have built and maintain our program.”

5) The last time a quarterback of this profile returned for his senior year was when Andrew Luck decided to return to Stanford for the 2011 season. Herbert isn’t quite in the rare air as a prospect as Luck, who was considered a generational talent. But it’s an apt comparison.

Well... The stars are aligning.

D. Williams on sidelines at Duke game. He gets T.V shoutout. Daniel Jones blows up and pretty much secures 1st round status. Not enough star power to go top 10, so probably fall right to us at 16-18.

6'5'' and can move, yes please

@JamesMadisonSkins

Personally, I’m hoping we lay low in FA.  Don’t know the FO will see it that way of course.  

2019 is a toss up right now.  On one hand, staff jobs may be on the line, on the other hand, we’re likely either rolling with a backup type qb or a rookie, so IMO the focus on winning (and the FA spending that comes with that) should come in 2020.  Anyway, leaving that whole convo aside...

I could see the Skins taking a corner early.  Pair him with Norman and have him supplant Norman the following year, or cut Norman and have Dunbar, Moreau and the rook battle for the outside corner spots.  

With that said, my preference would be OLB, ILB, G and wr before we worry about corner.  Unfortunately, it looks like the need for S and TE will and could move up (respectively).  QB could throw a wrench into things.  Given our question marks there (as I mentioned earlier), and our lack of blue chip players... I’m leaning even more BPA than usual.  

BTW, regarding Cooper - I see the sense in trying to return him, but at what point do we stop stocking the team with injury prone players.  Still, I’d sign him and then run your offseason as though you don’t have him.  

13 hours ago, Bonez3 said:

Well... The stars are aligning.

D. Williams on sidelines at Duke game. He gets T.V shoutout. Daniel Jones blows up and pretty much secures 1st round status. Not enough star power to go top 10, so probably fall right to us at 16-18.

6'5'' and can move, yes please

I watched the game, he played well.  Wonder though what kind of test Temple is though.  Judging college Qbs is the hardest thing for scouts to do and in their case they do it with a much closer look than we can so i am not pretending I know one way or another.

From what I saw, quick release, good foot work, nice touch, can reset his feet if needed, he had a really good throw on the move where I noticed he kept his eyes down field the whole time.  His accuracy struck me good but not great.  I know he's thrown his share of INTs in college and some question the mediocre W-L record.  Arm strength seems decent to me -- not great, not bad - average.  His supporting cast doesn't seem too hot so I gather scouts have to grade him on a curve.

The problem though is now that Herbert is coming out in 2020 -- Jones might be gone before our pick, some have him as the #2 QB.  Wonder if the Giants fall for him with the dude trained by the same coach that Eli was, etc.   Not saying I want Jones -- don't really know yet.    I liked what I saw yesterday, not blown away though but again I am not pretending to be a QB guru, so what do I know?

Rotoworld had a slightly different take where questioning the decision making on the 2 interceptions but still acknowledge he's a first round talent.

136511.jpg

Duke redshirt junior QB Daniel Jones completed 30-of-41 passes for 423 yards, five touchdowns, and two interceptions in Thursday's 56-27 bowl win over Temple.

Jones (6'5/220) set career highs in both passing yards and passing touchdowns with Temple missing their best defensive player. The redshirt junior got there by throwing a dart on a quick slant that T.J. Rahming took to the house for an 85-yard touchdown, and Jones also had three red zone passing touchdowns. As usual, Jones showed athletic ability with his legs as well, so it was an overall plus game for the draft-eligible quarterback, but there were a couple brutal decisions and passes that Jones wants back, including two interceptions that went straight to Temple defenders. NFL scouts will need to weigh the good and the bad, but Jones is a first-round candidate if he declares.

I would rather get a Rypien type with 1 of our comps. The Gruden off. Doesnt require a blue chip qb for success. See what JJ can do with an off-season and build the castle.  We need an Ilber, TE,  WR, and Safety bad. JJ can buyy us time on OG plus plus we have some guys we need to take a closer look ay already here.  Wouldn't hesitate to draft the best OT either and move TW to a contender for a 2nd.

Assuming we part ways with Jamison Crowder this off-season (I don't see us being able to retain any of our guys honestly) --- I am keeping an eye on these guys in the off-season.

1. Hunter Renfrow, SWR Clemson (R4-6)

2. Andy Isabella, SWR UMass (R4-6)

3. K.J. Hill, Ohio State (R3-4)

4. Jon'Vea Johnson, Toledo (R2-4)

5. DeMarkus Lodge, Ole Miss (R2-4)

6. Marquise Brown, Oklahoma (R2-3)

7. Parris Campbell, Ohio State (R1-2)

No particular order, but per their draft profiles these guys excel at YAC and are speed guys. This is what we need with or without Crowder. But if we lose Crowder, this is exactly the type of WR we need to bring in to replace him.

Right now we're slated to pick #16. I don't think we can pick much higher than 12 and based on what I just put down for likely results this weekend, we'll be picking #13 or #14.

If I'm Bruce Allen or Doug Williams or whoever, and I still hold this job in mid-January, I'm calling up Jon Gruden and saying --- come take this 1st round pick of ours. Move up 13 spots from where you'll likely be around #25 with your 2nd of 3 first round picks. I will tell Jon that he can have #13 if he gives me #25, their 3rd and 4th. You tell him that you are willing to do this deal and plant the seed in his mind so come draft day your phone rings.

The way this draft is stacked up right now, you can still get an impact player in the 20s. And if you can add another 3rd and recoup your 4th you add the pick depth you'll need to replace most of these guys we'll lose to FA.

I'd go:

1st: Montez Sweat, Edge Miss. State

2nd: Irv Smith, TE Alabama

3rd: Troy Dye, ILB Oregon

3rd: Michael Deiter, G/C Wisconsin

3rd: Sean Bunting, CB Central Michigan

4th: DeMarkus Lodge, WR Ole Miss

5th: another WR

5th: A QB Flyer?

2 ways I'd cut it (trying to be as realistic as I can be as to where they fall) I'd go:

1st: Cody Ford Oklahoma OG

2nd:  TJ Hockenson, Iowa TE   (or Irv Smith, Alabama)

3rd: Deebo Samuel, WR South Carolina (nod towards Stevemcqueen on that one)

3rd: Germaine Pratt, MLB North Carolina

5th  David Sills WR, West Virginia 

5th:  Benny Snell, RB Kentucky

or

1st:  Jachai Polite, Florida OLB

2nd Devin Bush, Michigan MLB (might be a reach but have seen him drop this far in some mocks

3rd  Riley Ridley, Georgia WR (hard to tell if he lasts thing long but him or Parris Campbell)

3rd:  Michael Deiter, Wisconsin OG

5th:  Dawson Knox, TE, Miss

5th:  Dru Samia, Oklahoma, OG

Wow, mocks without my man crush Marquise Brown.  For the moment I am just more fixated on the O line-D line but I still think he's going to be a stud.  And as usual I keep changing my mind as I get closer, got a long way to go.

2 hours ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

Assuming we part ways with Jamison Crowder this off-season (I don't see us being able to retain any of our guys honestly) --- I am keeping an eye on these guys in the off-season.

1. Hunter Renfrow, SWR Clemson (R4-6)

2. Andy Isabella, SWR UMass (R4-6)

3. K.J. Hill, Ohio State (R3-4)

4. Jon'Vea Johnson, Toledo (R2-4)

5. DeMarkus Lodge, Ole Miss (R2-4)

6. Marquise Brown, Oklahoma (R2-3)

No particular order, but per their draft profiles these guys excel at YAC and are speed guys. This is what we need with or without Crowder. But if we lose Crowder, this is exactly the type of WR we need to bring in to replace him.

Campbell is very intriguing to me in part because I think he can also backup Thompson, freeing up a roster spot for us.  

Can line up with an empty backfield and then motion him to TB (or do the opposite) and run jet sweeps with him, in addition to just adding speed down the field.  

6 hours ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

...6. Marquise Brown, Oklahoma (R2-3)

This is what we need with or without Crowder. But if we lose Crowder.....

Paris was my guy last year but he went back. Would be a felony robbery if we could get Hollywood in the 2nd round. But Crowder's replcmnt es aqui... Mr. Irrelevant.

3 hours ago, skinny21 said:

Campbell....can also backup Thompson, freeing up a roster spot...

Exactly. B/c CT likely misses 2-4 games again next year.

Drafting a WR before the 3rd may be a bit of a luxury and tho I think Brown will be special...cant be sure. Plus we already have Trey, Mo, and P Rich. And Robert Davis needs a look....Cam Sims and A. Stewart from Bama. That's enough guys to keep me from splurging at the position.

Right now we're slated to pick #16. I don't think we can pick much higher than 12 and based on what I just put down for likely results this weekend, we'll be picking #13 or #14.

If I'm Bruce Allen or Doug Williams or whoever, and I still hold this job in mid-January, I'm calling up Jon Gruden and saying --- come take this 1st round pick of ours. Move up 13 spots from where you'll likely be around #25 with your 2nd of 3 first round picks. I will tell Jon that he can have #13 if he gives me #25, their 3rd and 4th. You tell him that you are willing to do this deal and plant the seed in his mind so come draft day your phone rings.

Th......

Yuck that is selling the pick short, but you are talking about the Redskins though, so maybe it is expected we get less value than other teams would. I'd much rather have a deal similar to the ones the Saints made last year or the Texans and Chiefs made the year before to move up to the same range (to #14 in the case of the Saints).  If we trade down to the mid or late 20s from pick 14 or better we damn well get a 2020 1st.

On 12/27/2018 at 10:58 AM, SemperFi Skins said:

I'd draft Murray in the 1st without question... He's the best QB in this draft, hands down. His 5'9 height hasn't hurt him... Otherwise, wait until next year.

Hell, bring Lincoln Riley with him...

His height hasn't hurt him playing in an offense overflowing with NFL talent and if that fails (it rarely has) he's a better athlete than the most of the defenders he's playing against. He can make it in the NFL but the challenges he's faced aren't a barometer. If he plays well against Alabama the conversation changes. 

The way this draft is stacked up right now, you can still get an impact player in the 20s. And if you can add another 3rd and recoup your 4th you add the pick depth you'll need to replace most of these guys we'll lose to FA.

I'd go:

1st: Montez Sweat, Edge Miss. State

2nd: Irv Smith, TE Alabama

3rd: Troy Dye, ILB Oregon

3rd: Michael Deiter, G/C Wisconsin

3rd: Sean Bunting, CB Central Michigan

4th: DeMarkus Lodge, WR Ole Miss

5th: another WR

5th: A QB Flyer?

He better take you out to dinner if that's the deal you're taking. 

1 hour ago, TheShredSkinz said:

Paris was my guy last year but he went back. Would be a felony robbery if we could get Hollywood in the 2nd round. But Crowder's replcmnt es aqui... Mr. Irrelevant.

Exactly. B/c CT likely misses 2-4 games again next year.

Drafting a WR before the 3rd may be a bit of a luxury and tho I think Brown will be special...cant be sure. Plus we already have Trey, Mo, and P Rich. And Robert Davis needs a look....Cam Sims and A. Stewart from Bama. That's enough guys to keep me from splurging at the position.

What's more it's actually rather lazy to put Hollywood Brown in the slot receiver box. He has the attributes that allow smaller receivers to play on the outside.

53 minutes ago, Berggy9598 said:

Hiif that's the deal you're taking. 

I did a quick check of the chart when I made that post and it was fairly even. The 3rd and 4th round picks would be the 3rd overall in each round. I did it based on our current spot at 16 and going to 25. The diff was equal to those 2 picks. 

Fans tend to have an inflated expectation on return on trades. Dropping 9 picks and netting an early 3&4 seems about right. But if you can swap that 3 for a 2 then more

power to you! But the Raiders 2 is gonna be pick 35/36 so in this scenario that was too much to include with the 1st

I did a quick check of the chart when I made that post and it was fairly even. The 3rd and 4th round picks would be the 3rd overall in each round. I did it based on our current spot at 16 and going to 25. The diff was equal to those 2 picks. 

Fans tend to have an inflated expectation on return on trades. Dropping 9 picks and netting an early 3&4 seems about right. But if you can swap that 3 for a 2 then more

power to you! But the Raiders 2 is gonna be pick 35/36 so in this scenario that was too much to include with the 1st

Maybe I'm wrong but I can't recall a team jumping up that many spots and giving up so little. The pick values aren't always followed to a tee that I'm sure of. Also nobody is jumping up that many spots to get in position to pick from a pool of players. They'll have one player singled out, in which case the pick value chart goes out the window.  

Archived