Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2019 Comprehensive Draft Thread

Going Commando

We cannot make the mistake of trading a ton of draft picks to move up to get Haskins. Too much talent in this draft for positions of need. just because he is the best QB in the draft does not mean you move from 15 to 1 or 2 to get him. That is a crazy way to think considering how few years ago we did that exact same thing and hampered us for years. Continue to build the rest of the team and get the QB when the TEAM is ready and if impatient then get one in the 2nd or 3rd that falls to you. 

38 minutes ago, fordranger76 said:

We cannot make the mistake of trading a ton of draft picks to move up to get Haskins. Too much talent in this draft for positions of need. just because he is the best QB in the draft does not mean you move from 15 to 1 or 2 to get him. That is a crazy way to think considering how few years ago we did that exact same thing and hampered us for years. Continue to build the rest of the team and get the QB when the TEAM is ready and if impatient then get one in the 2nd or 3rd that falls to you. 

Very much agree with this. Just look at Deshaun Watson. Houston got their franchise guy without having to break the bank, or Lamar Jackson last year for Baltimore. I’m not sure Lamar will have the long term success of Watson, I think Jackson is RG3 more solidly built, and DC’s in the league will figure him out rather quickly, making him win with his arm and not his legs. But, he could become a 10 year starter (I’ve been wrong many times before), and the Ravens will have made the prudent play.

I don't think anyone thought the RGIII picks were wasted when he was lighting up the league. We were on our way. That's hindsight. Were we not also hamstrung by the Mara cap penalty at that time, or am I wrong about the timing?

"Following his junior season in which he had 7.0 sacks and 10.5 tackles for loss, Allen was named to the AP Second team All-SEC team.[9] After this season, Allen considered forgoing his senior year and declaring for the 2018 NFL draft.[10] He later decided to return to Kentucky for his senior season.[11] On November 17, 2018, Allen set the Kentucky record in sacks at 27.5, surpassing Oliver Barnett’s career record of 26 from 1986-1989.[12] After the 2018 regular season, Allen was named the SEC Defensive Player of the Year,[6] won the Bronko Nagurski Trophy for National Defensive Player of the Year,[5] and won the 2018 Chuck Bednarik award.[4] With 28.5 career sacks and 14 sacks in 2018, Allen was named the nation's top defensive player over Michigan's Devin Bush, LSU's Grant Delpit, Clemson's Christian Wilkins, and Alabama's Quinnen Williams.[5] Pro Football Focus named Allen a First Team All-American edge defender as the highest-graded edge defender in the country. Allen was unstoppable on the pass-rush his senior season. Highlighted by his national-best 93.5 pass-rush grade, Allen brought in 51 total pressures that included 14 sacks, nine QB hits and an additional 28 hurries. Rounding out his game, he dropped into coverage on 141 snaps and allowed just 130 yards on 19 targets without allowing a touchdown."[13]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Josh_Allen_(linebacker)

If we don't go QB, I want either Cody Ford, or Josh Allen, and if GM's are smart, neither will be available at 15. Allen has a great get off, fantastic bend, and look how well he moves in space. He looks great in coverage. He would be a big upgrade at ROLB. 

1 hour ago, Anselmheifer said:

If we don't go QB, I want either Cody Ford, or Josh Allen, and if GM's are smart, neither will be available at 15. Allen has a great get off, fantastic bend, and look how well he moves in space. He looks great in coverage. He would be a big upgrade at ROLB. 

Would LOVE to get Allen, best pass rusher in the class, but I’d be shocked if he makes it out of the top 5. Polite may be a possibility though.

43 minutes ago, Long n Left said:

Would LOVE to get Allen, best pass rusher in the class, but I’d be shocked if he makes it out of the top 5. Polite may be a possibility though.

I hate our draft range. There doesn't look to be a stud CB, ILB, or safety appropriate for the 15th pick. I think you're going to have to protect Polite and Sweat in the running game. I have very little confidence in our DC. 

If we can't get a Allen or Cody Ford, how about a trade down to select Jaylon Ferguson? I don't know that he has the same bend, and he is a little older, but the speed and aggression are there, he is strong, and he was productive. 

I think Jachai Polite is the second best edge rusher in the draft. Better than Allen, Ferrell, and Sweat. Does not play the run as well but we ask our ILB to do that way more than our edge backers. Apparently a good team mate which that locker room could use and should be there when we pick. Sign me up.

4 hours ago, fordranger76 said:

I am with you on this. Especially since one of the other guys will fall to 15. We can take Lock or Grier there and it wont cost us anything to do it. We may even be able to move down a little bit and add a 2nd or 3rd rounder in the process and still get one of those guys.

28 minutes ago, fordranger76 said:

I think Jachai Polite is the second best edge rusher in the draft. Better than Allen, Ferrell, and Sweat. Does not play the run as well but we ask our ILB to do that way more than our edge backers. Apparently a good team mate which that locker room could use and should be there when we pick. Sign me up.

Who is the best pass rusher in this draft, if it's not one of those guys?

2 hours ago, Anselmheifer said:

We're not going to have a shot at him.  I think #2 to San Francisco is his floor and he has a legit chance of going #1 to Arizona if they can't trade down to a QB needy team looking to get Haskins.

I haven't finished grading Oliver, Allen, and Williams, but those three plus Haskins are my highest graded guys so far and they are the four elite players of the class.

I wouldn't underestimate how desperate some teams will be to stick a young QB in front of their fans now a days just for the sake of it (I prefer to lie to myself that we're not a franchise that would do that. Sue me) so if I had to take a guess right now I'd say Bosa goes 1 and the Raiders win the auction for the number two pick to take Haskins. After that you have Jacksonville, NYG, Denver, Miami and possibly Cincy to overdraft a QB, so don't be surprised if Lock and Jones are also gone by the time we pick. Our defense had 45 sacks with a banged up secondary and only one edge rusher that OCs really had to gameplan against. It won't take a whole lot to turn them into a top 10 unit and there's a good chance there will be a choice of top 10 worthy talent where we're picking. 

If we draft well this year and keep our pants on in free agency I would say (purely speculation at this point) next year's draft would be when you want to trade up for a QB.  Everyone wants the young QB but IMO it's all about the situation you're bringing them into, and roster wise I wouldn't say we're quite where the Rams and Eagles were when they traded up, but not as bad as where Buffalo or the Jets were. It's going to be interesting but ultimately if the Raiders are done with Carr it would be franchise suicide to beat them in a bidding war for Haskins. 

I feel like we always struggle with drafting a qb at the same time as a new regime and it is almost imperative to do so. 

We are in a tricky spot because spending big free agent money on a qb will hurt our team yet a cheap rookie qb will likely be a throw away pick once we have a regime change. 

I think we should go for the bpa at our pick and/or try to build a dominate facet of our team. Seeking to improve the run game will also help us in the short and long term. 

I'd be OK with a later round pick on a qb though. Throw him in the fire. If we get lucky.. that's great. If not, there is a regime change and that 4th rounder didn't hurt us too badly, plus we likely have a high pick next year with which to get a qb. 

3 minutes ago, sportjunkie07 said:

I'd be OK with a later round pick on a qb though. Throw him in the fire. If we get lucky.. that's great. If not, there is a regime change and that 4th rounder didn't hurt us too badly, plus we likely have a high pick next year with which to get a qb. 

We don’t have our 4th though, right?

I kinda like the symmetry of using the 3rd round comp pick from Cousins on a qb.  

1 hour ago, sportjunkie07 said:

I think we should go for the bpa at our pick and/or try to build a dominate facet of our team. Seeking to improve the run game will also help us in the short and long term.

For me, this screams running game and defense.

If we can get a stud LG in there, and can have a dominant running game with Guice, AP and Thompson behind a healthy OL, a lot of the other weaknesses on the team are mitigated.

I think if the draft were today, assuming we don't re-sign Preston Smith ... I would go LG/EDGE with the first 2 picks. Build a dominant run game, and get the pass-rush solidified.

Go QB in 2020 and put him behind a stud OL and running game where he walks into a very easy situation to succeed in.

In terms of oline and wanting to make it a strength of the team...

it helps the run game - which takes pressure off whoever our qb will be, helps the pass pro, and helps the defense.  

Obviously we need a LG to do this, but I wonder about also drafting a tackle that could compete with Moses.  It’s not a glaring hole (like LG, S, Wr, etc.), so it’s down on the list of needs, but it  likely improves our tackle depth, gives us a chance at a(nother) upgrade to the line, and would be good succession planning for Trent.  

In general, we are in a weird/difficult position.  Due to the large number of needs, we could stand to trade down when possible.  On the flip side, we’re lacking in blue chip players, which goes against the notion of trading back.  I’m hopeful FA brings a couple of good players at positions of need (quality over quantity) to allow more flexibility in the draft.  My fear is they trade up for a qb and try to make up for the lost pick(s) by going for quantity in FA.   I’m also afraid they stick with the method of cheaper, aging, and injury prone players to fill some of the holes.  

@skinny21 Geron Christian. 

We spent a 3rd on him last year for the exact reason you’re proposing to double down on Tackle. He was raw and was going to need a couple years to reach potential. Moses was a 3rd rounder too and after 1 year was deemed a bust. These OL need time. 

Tackle isn’t a concern for me. LG is. 

And I’ll expand. Having an All Pro 31 year old LT and a pro bowl caliber 29 year old RT and a 2nd year 23 year old 3rd rounder being groomed is a nice spot to be. I do agree you can never have too many quality lineman but another Tackle in this draft earlier than a 5th is a luxury IMO. 

47 minutes ago, -JB- said:

It doesn’t even matter when you have the two bumbling idiot savants SNYDERALLEN running the show.  They could have 32 first round picks this year and **** it up.  Dan Snyder is so tone deaf he probably thinks fans love him because he opens up his checkbook.  **** him.

It's not that Allen is terrible it is just that he lacks the imagination (as do most posters judging from this thread) to build a team. Everything is in the now he seems to be unable to look past the current year/ season - which is the best way to build a team. Best option to to push for as many picks as we can get in 2020 and 2021, I'm sure that hasn't even crossed his mind.

There seem to be an enormous number of people on the board who say that we need to build a better roster before we draft a QB, and that this is the recipe for success that good teams follow. I'm just not sure that is the case. I was just looking at the Rams' roster the year before they took Goff. Our OL is better. Our DL is comparable. Our skill positions are not quite as good. I actually think our current roster is better. Am I nuts?

https://www.turfshowtimes.com/2015/9/5/9266875/2015-st-louis-rams-official-53-man-roster

We have most of a very good OL and if we add a LG, which is not something that requires a high end investment, we should be fine. We have Guice coming back and we can resign Peterson. We have a great young DL, a pro bowl LOLB, decent young corners without a pro bowl standout. I think our roster compares pretty favorably to most recent teams that have added a QB and now look like they have a bright future. I don't see why that couldn't be us. Do the Browns really have a roster that is that far superior to ours, excepting the QB position? I think a LG, a YAC receiver, and a QB would have enough to work with on offense. 

Also, how did we go from feeling like we had a top 5 defense to feeling like we have holes at CB, safety, LB and ROLB? That is every level of the defense. 

5 hours ago, nonniey said:

It's not that Allen is terrible it is just that he lacks the imagination (as do most posters judging from this thread) to build a team. Everything is in the now he seems to be unable to look past the current year/ season - which is the best way to build a team. Best option to to push for as many picks as we can get in 2020 and 2021, I'm sure that hasn't even crossed his mind.

I would guess the fans you’re referring to realize Allen isn’t going to go that route, and so it’s not really on the radar.  Or maybe they just lack imagination.  

I’ve been saying I hope the team is quiet in FA this year for similar reasons.  I personally would be fine going the route you keep bringing up.  I’m not crazy about it though... we could still miss out on a top qb and  have squandered what talent we do have in the meantime.  It could lead to Allen’s ousting from the team though, which would be great.  Of course, if we do wind up with a new personnel guy this year, it could mean they’re shown the door instead...

2 hours ago, Anselmheifer said:

There seem to be an enormous number of people on the board who say that we need to build a better roster before we draft a QB, and that this is the recipe for success that good teams follow. I'm just not sure that is the case. I was just looking at the Rams' roster the year before they took Goff. Our OL is better. Our DL is comparable. Our skill positions are not quite as good. I actually think our current roster is better. Am I nuts?

https://www.turfshowtimes.com/2015/9/5/9266875/2015-st-louis-rams-official-53-man-roster

We have most of a very good OL and if we add a LG, which is not something that requires a high end investment, we should be fine. We have Guice coming back and we can resign Peterson. We have a great young DL, a pro bowl LOLB, decent young corners without a pro bowl standout. I think our roster compares pretty favorably to most recent teams that have added a QB and now look like they have a bright future. I don't see why that couldn't be us. Do the Browns really have a roster that is that far superior to ours, excepting the QB position? I think a LG, a YAC receiver, and a QB would have enough to work with on offense. 

Also, how did we go from feeling like we had a top 5 defense to feeling like we have holes at CB, safety, LB and ROLB? That is every level of the defense. 

I can’t speak for the Rams’ talent level, but I do know the Browns have a lot more high end draft picks on their team than us.  

A talented LG and receiver would be a big shot in the arm for the offense (and a for new qb).  Of course, we’d have to hope for good health, from them and other key guys - Williams, Thompson, Reed, Guice, etc., so...

The defense - I’m not sure when we felt like we had a top 5 defense.  Before the Saints game?   You’re right though, we need help all over on that side of the ball.  None of our corners really stand out, our ILBs have limitations, we lost a talented safety, the second one may walk, and the promising, benched safety is at risk of suspension.  We’re also likely(?) losing Smith, and Anderson is still a question mark.  

On top of all of that I’m not sure how much to pin on Manusky, and whether 1) we’ll make a change there, and 2) it will help if we do.  

Archived