Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2019 Comprehensive Draft Thread

Going Commando

9 minutes ago, Long n Left said:

Personally, for me, Daniel Jones is fool’s gold. I live in Charlotte, and have gotten to see a lot of him. He’s a good, not exceptional athlete, and just an okay passer. I think he is getting graded higher this year, because of the dearth of high end talent at the position. I think he’s a third round talent in a normal year. I also think Lock has a far higher ceiling, and light years better arm talent.

I really hope we don't draft him. IMHO, he keeps us in the purgatory of not having a solid QB but having someone on the squad that keeps you from looking for that player. I don't think he will wind up better than the caliber of QB that is commonly available in FA, and the only advantage that he will have is that he will be cheap. 

https://www.ganggreennation.com/2019/1/2/18163740/2019-prospect-byron-murphy-cb-washington-huskies

Thanks for drawing my attention to this kid, McQueen. Look at his hips, and hands, and burst. Jesus. He would change our defense. 

Also, a lot of board members have argued in multiple threads, that when our defense looked bad because we needed a ball control offense and our guards were hurt. I think it's because we never had a defense designed to stop a modern offense. Our LB's were crap in coverage, we had no speed rusher opposite Kerrigan, and we had no dynamic corner or FS. As much as I want to hate the signing, if Foster actually plays, he will make the LB core instantly better/impactful. I wish we had fined and suspended Swearinger rather than cutting him. Also, I think Swearinger was right and the potential of our defense will never be realized under this DC. 

30 minutes ago, Anselmheifer said:

I really hope we don't draft him. IMHO, he keeps us in the purgatory of not having a solid QB but having someone on the squad that keeps you from looking for that player. I don't think he will wind up better than the caliber of QB that is commonly available in FA, and the only advantage that he will have is that he will be cheap. 

https://www.ganggreennation.com/2019/1/2/18163740/2019-prospect-byron-murphy-cb-washington-huskies

Thanks for drawing my attention to this kid, McQueen. Look at his hips, and hands, and burst. Jesus. He would change our defense. 

Looks like a nice prospect... one we could definitely use.  

Also, a lot of board members have argued in multiple threads, that when our defense looked bad because we needed a ball control offense and our guards were hurt. I think it's because we never had a defense designed to stop a modern offense. Our LB's were crap in coverage, we had no speed rusher opposite Kerrigan, and we had no dynamic corner or FS. As much as I want to hate the signing, if Foster actually plays, he will make the LB core instantly better/impactful. I wish we had fined and suspended Swearinger rather than cutting him. Also, I think Swearinger was right and the potential of our defense will never be realized under this DC. 

If I had to guess, early on our offense and our turnovers on defense reduced the amount of time our D was on the field, so it took longer for teams to figure out what our weaknesses were (aside from throwing to whoever Danny Johnson was covering).  Teams got stuffed up the middle, and deeper pass plays gave our interior more time to push the pocket (making it harder for some qbs to step into their throws).  Once teams figured out they could run off tackle for big gains and exploit our corners/ILBs with crossing routes and dump offs (particularly to the flat)... it was mostly downhill from there.  JMO of course.  

Regarding the talent level, I agree - FS, ILB and corner (and ROLB to a lesser extent) were fairly pedestrian.  I don’t disagree about Manusky, but I will point out that he’s gotten good production out of talented units - in 2017, the corners (and maybe safeties) played well and the pass rush was quite good (then we lost Breeland, Foster and Galette).  In 2018, we added Payne and had Io and Allen healthy, and the dline played quite well.  Swearinger also had a good year.  Unsurprisingly, our ILBs and corners were exposed.  

So I wonder if Manusky is the type that can put together a good defense when the talent is there (ie doesn’t squander good talent), but has trouble masking/mitigating personnel weaknesses.  I don’t know.  If he is canned, it’s a moot point, but if he stays, I hope they find him a good safety as well as (at least) some competition for our young corners, ROLB and ILBs.  

1 hour ago, Anselmheifer said:

He is a remarkable athlete.  He's mean too.  And stronger and more physical than you'd expect.  I love confident, aggressive zone corners like him that can terrorize you in underneath coverage.  It's nice to have a steady man coverage glove.  But corners like Murphy are dynamic and their presence seeps into your subconscious as a QB and changes your decision-making.  And ultimately your offense.

The only complaint is the size, and it might be enough to drop him to 15.  Those narrow shoulders and joints and that waist are never going to be able to carry bulk.  He's a naturally skinny guy.  With the physical way he plays, he's probably going to get nicked up a lot.

I actually really like some of our young corner talent, and I agree with you that a player like Murphy could be that missing piece.  I was a big Adonis Alexander fan last year and viewed him as the quintessential big press man corner that could run with physical receivers on the outside.  You could use him as a nice contrast to the skill set of Murphy, who excels in off zone.  Bait QBs into making a lot of throws into Murphy's coverages.

I think the corner and interior DL talent that we have is close enough that we're only a couple of pieces away from fielding one of the best defenses in the league.  Safety and stack linebacker are not going to be hard to fill when your corners and DLs are so good.  You don't need dynamic players at those positions when they're just playing high zones and attacking B gaps and scraping down the line of scrimmage.  Plus Reuben Foster is a dynamic weakside stack linebacker, so there's that.  Ostensibly you could draft a corner like Murphy and get another edge player in the second or third.  It is a really deep edge class in day two talent and we have three picks in that range.  Good chance one will be BPA when one of our picks comes up.

There is also a nice bunch of day three talent at stack linebacker this year, so if Reuben Foster is a presumptive starter, you could find cost effective depth in the draft.  I've seen players as good as TeVon Coney getting mocked as low as the fourth round.  That kid is a hell of a player.  There will be seventh rounders good enough to become starters this year.

It's not going to take long to finish the defense.  The hard parts of building it have been done.

https://247sports.com/college/washington/Article/Top-marks-revealed-after-Washingtons-Combine-Day-116106505/

Maybe Byron Murphy won't time well. That could help him drop. He looks really fast on the field. I had imagined he would be a 4.38 guy. Apparently he wasn't one of the fastest Huskies. 

Also, I wanted to watch Jachai Polite against a solid team, so I chose Georgia. Not much impact, and didn't set the edge particularly well. I wasn't impressed. 

6 hours ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

I don’t think the Redskins have a bad roster by any means. When they had a QB who was competent this year they were 6-3. They need more speed on offense and to stay healthy but otherwise I think the roster is fine. The season fell apart when Smith went down, Scherff went down and Cooper went down. AP hit some tired spells and we were without Richardson, Crowder and thompson. The offense became inept and useless and the defense didn’t have the horses to hold them in games. Although aside from NYG game the defense held them in some games more than I’d have expected 

The defense plays well well when the offense controls the ball. The last 2 years we’ve seen what happens when that doesn’t take place. Yes we need to shore up a couple spots there, but it’s far from a bad roster. Go another draft, shore up LG and get a YAC speed WR and focus on some depth on defense and I think you go into 2020 with a pretty solid roster ... and if you choose to trade up then you’ll be okay. 

Also, after 2020 you can drop smith’s contract and Norman is off the books. You’ll have plenty of cap to spend in 2021 and beyond 

We don’t have a bad roster at all but outside of the obvious which is the offensive line, a rookie that isn’t a generational prospect ideally needs a defense that keeps the other team off the board and a running game that’s enough of a threat to simplify coverages (see Dak Prescott’s rookie year versus when Zele was out the next) I think we’re not there yet but we’re pretty close. 

8 minutes ago, Anselmheifer said:

Maybe Byron Murphy won't time well. That could help him drop. He looks really fast on the field. I had imagined he would be a 4.38 guy. Apparently he wasn't one of the fastest Huskies.  

I agree, he looks fast on film but the 40 is a challenge unto itself.  It's hard to run and it really rewards the guys with a track background.  He'll have time to train for the 40 before the NFL combine, so he might time faster then.  More riding on that run.  But sometimes guys don't properly train for the event.

Another thing that could drop him is that DeAndre Baker and Greedy Williams are both very highly regarded as well.  I haven't graded them yet, but I'm looking forward to seeing how they stack up with Murphy.

On ‎1‎/‎3‎/‎2019 at 7:38 AM, stevemcqueen1 said:

Failing to grasp the central importance of the QB position is lacking imagination.  Ignoring this entire QB class to chase grass is greener fantasies of name recognition freshmen and sophomore QBs playing for starry programs who haven't even been evaluated yet is lacking imagination.

There is no such thing as building a foundation for your roster without a QB.  QB is the foundation.  It's what allows you to begin a window of legit competitiveness.  If you load up on other positions before securing that quarterback foundation, then you're, at best, wasting a year(s) of everyone's career.  At worst, you're entering a cycle of roster churn where talent comes in and out without ever even having the chance to win anything.

It's not all one or the other.  We've seen rookie QBs stuck behind bad Offensive Lines and never amount to much.  Or, you get the QB playing well but never getting the chance to win much because the rest of the roster isn't up to snuff.  That doesn't mean the team can afford to ignore the position entirely.  Skins wouldn't be in this position if they had historically kept 3 QBs on the roster (e.g.,Nate Sudfeld).  The Skins are in quite a predicament for the next two years.  They may need to clear out older expensive veterans now so they have the cap room to move on from Smith in the future.  If so, those positions would need to be filled in addition to the obvious holes.  Maximize the value from the draft and don't reach for any position including QB.  I'm not optimistic.  

1 minute ago, PlayAction said:

It's not all one or the other.  We've seen rookie QBs stuck behind bad Offensive Lines and never amount to much.  Or, you get the QB playing well but never getting the chance to win much because the rest of the roster isn't up to snuff.  That doesn't mean the team can afford to ignore the position entirely.  Skins wouldn't be in this position if they had historically kept 3 QBs on the roster (e.g.,Nate Sudfeld).  The Skins are in quite a predicament for the next two years.  They may need to clear out older expensive veterans now so they have the cap room to move on from Smith in the future.  If so, those positions would need to be filled in addition to the obvious holes.  Maximize the value from the draft and don't reach for any position including QB.  I'm not optimistic.  

We have an OL that can easily be fixed, without too much investment, and should be able to protect a rookie QB. He wouldn't have many dangerous weapons, but he should be able to stay upright. If we pass on a QB, it should be because there isn't one that we think is worth the investment, not because of some crazy idea that you have to build the team before you draft a QB.

Honestly, I can't remember hearing this philosophy espoused literally anywhere, other than on this year's extremeskins forum, in my lifetime. Build a team before you draft a QB? Find me a quote from one successful GM or personnel guy that suggests this should be the approach. The priorities have always been, first, find a QB, second build the OL to protect him as quickly as possible, and third, make sure he has some weapons. Am I missing something? What is New Orleans without Drew Brees? The Chargers without Rivers?  The Colts without Luck? The fact that the Chiefs and Texans lucked into QB's without picking top 5, doesn't make that the model. People are now going to use the Ravens as an example that you don't have to invest a high draft pick, you can build a team and grab a QB later? Wake me up when the ravens have a modern passing game and when they are a yearly contender to go deep into the playoffs or win a super bowl. Hell, the chiefs had a QB and jumped on Mahomes exactly because they saw the importance of the position, and unlike the rest of this board, knew that Smith was successful because of the weapons surrounding him.

Maybe it would be prohibitively expensive to go up and get Haskins. And maybe there is some flaw in his game that I don't perceive. But, the idea that the philosophy should now be, first, build a team, then go find a QB, seems newly contrived and poorly conceived. Most teams that suck over a prolonged time period suck exactly because they never find a decent QB. 

Anyway, McQueen, how high do you see the following prospects going? Brian Burns? Paris Campbell? Will Grier? I don't tend to think we need an enormous investment to solidify LG. Who do you see at OG/C that could be available in the 3rd/4th that could do that for us? And, what LB's should I be looking at, outside the first round? We need LB's that can cover. Reuben Foster can cover, but will likely miss the beginning of the season, and who knows how many more times he's going to get into trouble in the next few years. SDH absolutely can't be relied upon to stay healthy.

5 hours ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

I’m on record being cool with Grier in the 2/3. Even more so if we trade back from 15 and add some picks 

I think Grier is more of a mid to late 1st or maybe early 2nd rounder...I have a hard time seeing him sliding to the 3rd. Personally, I'd pick Grier before I picked Lock as I think he's a better QB but he doesn't have the crazy arm of Lock so doesn't get the same "oohs and ahhs" as Lock does when you just look at highlights. The main ding on Grier is his age as he'll be 24 his first year in the NFL. But the dude was rated by PFF as the best college QB in the nation under pressure (when blitzed) and best at throwing a go route. 

Polite has gotten some buzz on this thread including from me.   I like him a lot.  Not as much attention here for Burns but to me he is of the same ilk.

Right now because of his size he's more of a 3rd down, line up wide 9, etc. But that's IMO what we need, we stink on 3rd downs.  Cooley said talking to O lineman they tell him pass rushers that make them lose sleep are speed rushers.   Put in Ryan Anderson on first and 2nd down and then bring in a guy like Burns at RDE.

He needs to get bigger.  Right now I read he's up to 240-245.  He's 6 "5 with long arms.  Explosive, fast albeit not crazy fast, wicked spin move, quick hands.  Playmaker, sacks, strip fumbles.   Only 20 years old.  He has the frame to bulk up some. 

Ihttps://www.tallahassee.com/story/sports/college/fsu/football/2018/08/15/florida-state-fsu-football-img-brian-burns-leader-defense-defensive-end-harlon-barnett-mark-snyder/999273002/

This is one of a number of ways in which Burns has embraced the leadership role on the FSU defense that has been thrust upon him this offseason.

"We ask him as a coaching staff to be a leader. Sometimes that's stepping outside your comfort zone to be a leader, but that's what he is," FSU defensive coordinator Harlon Barnett said.

"A guy that's one of your better players on the team, you want him to step up because he's going to have the respect of the team and have a big voice. We want him to do that and he's doing a good job."

Added FSU defensive ends coach Mark Snyder, "We talk to him every day about it."

"In our room, he’s awesome. He’s definitely leading."

More: Practice observations: Nyqwan Murray relishing return, chance to lead

More: Florida State linebackers combating depth issues with versatility

More: Unique IMG Academy experience prepared four Seminoles for college

More: Florida State Opponent Previews: Miami

Asked for a comparison between Burns and someone else he coached, Snyder's answer was telling.

"His get off and his bend reminds me of Myles Garrett. That’s the only guy I’ve been around that can do what Brian can do rushing the quarterback," Snyder said.

"He has some special tools."

Garrett -- the No. 1 overall draft pick by the Cleveland Browns in 2017 -- worked under Snyder for one year at Texas A&M in 2014.

That season, Garrett set the SEC freshman record with 11 sacks.

As if often the case with athletes of Burns' standard, he holds himself to a ridiculously high standard.

8 hours ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

I think we’ve got some blue chippers just not at sexy positions.

Allen and Payne and Kerrigan - blue chippers

Scherff and williams - Blue chippers

also think Guice is a future blue chipper 

*we just lack it at skill positions

Kerrigan is a multi time pro bowler. Allen is on his way there IMO. I dont get the all of the hate on this roster all of the time. (not calling you out) This team is a WR and a good QB away from a consistent playoff team IMO. Now is this a Super Bowl roster? I dont know. Bit I know the Colts are curb stomping the Texans on their home field right now. A good QB MEANS EVERYTHING in this league. It is time for us to take a chance on one early in this draft. If he doesnt show promise do it again next year. I am sick of the retread old QB's.

1 hour ago, mistertim said:

I think Grier is more of a mid to late 1st or maybe early 2nd rounder...I have a hard time seeing him sliding to the 3rd. Personally, I'd pick Grier before I picked Lock as I think he's a better QB but he doesn't have the crazy arm of Lock so doesn't get the same "oohs and ahhs" as Lock does when you just look at highlights. The main ding on Grier is his age as he'll be 24 his first year in the NFL. But the dude was rated by PFF as the best college QB in the nation under pressure (when blitzed) and best at throwing a go route. 

I've watched more Grier than any QB in this draft unless Murray comes out.  He's a fun watch and has some Baker in him stylistically.  He's probably though for whatever reason the most polarizing prospect with some draft geeks who say he's a back up in the NFL and some are really into him.  PFF is clearly into him -- if i recall they were also early on touting Baker at the same time last year.  The Senior Bowl is likely big for Grier -- some say the 6 "2 height isn't his real hight and his arm strength isn't up to snuff.  I presume both of those items will be resolved in the Senior Bowl.  

The more I think about it the more I think they might go QB.  But every other team talking about Qb is picking before them -- Giants, Denver, Miami, Jax.  

6 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I've watched more Grier than any QB in this draft unless Murray comes out.  He's a fun watch and has some Baker in him stylistically.  He's probably though for whatever reason the most polarizing prospect with some draft geeks saying he's a back up in the NFL and some are into him.  PFF is clearly into him -- if i recall they were also early on touting Baker.  The Senior Bowl is likely big for Grier -- some say the 6 "2 height isn't his real hight and his arm strength isn't up to snuff.  I presume both of those items will be resolved in the Senior Bowl.  

The more I think about it the more I think they might go QB.  But really have other team talking about Qb is picking before them -- Giants, Denver, Miami, Jax.  

For now:  Haskins, Jones then Grier.  

14 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I've watched more Grier than any QB in this draft unless Murray comes out.  He's a fun watch and has some Baker in him stylistically.  He's probably though for whatever reason the most polarizing prospect with some draft geeks who say he's a back up in the NFL and some are really into him.  PFF is clearly into him -- if i recall they were also early on touting Baker at the same time last year.  The Senior Bowl is likely big for Grier -- some say the 6 "2 height isn't his real hight and his arm strength isn't up to snuff.  I presume both of those items will be resolved in the Senior Bowl.  

The more I think about it the more I think they might go QB.  But every other team talking about Qb is picking before them -- Giants, Denver, Miami, Jax.  

Yeah I've noticed that he's really polarizing as well. I'm not sure I really understand it though. Yes he missed a year due to failing a drug test but it was apparently some OTC stuff he didn't realize wasn't allowed and I've never read anything negative about his character or leadership. One thing that to me is pretty much always a bit concerning is Big 12 QBs in general but Grier played really well against the better teams they faced. His deep ball accuracy is very impressive...he doesn't have a rocket launcher but he drops absolute dimes and rarely fails to hit guys in stride, even when pressured and has to throw off balance or off schedule and the stats seem to back it up:

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/college-footballs-best-at-everything

No college quarterback throws a better go route than Grier, a trend that has continued from a season ago. He leads the nation with 1,207 yards and 24 big-time throws on go routes, doing so without throwing a turnover-worthy pass. In total, he’s completed 35 of 68 go routes for 17 touchdowns, averaging a hefty 24.2 yards downfield per target, routinely leading his receivers so well that they’ve gained 32.8 percent of his passing yards after the catch.

I also see some Mayfield in him as well...he's good with off schedule stuff and stays calm and makes plays under pressure like BM does. They also both have decent but not great arms but show excellent touch on deep passes. I'm guessing Grier will come in around the same height as BM or maybe a little taller (IIRC Mayfield came in at 6'1). 

8 minutes ago, bakedtater1 said:

Things getting juicy in here...wr looks deep this year in the draft..what do we do with the 13th pick?.. that's where we pick right?

Qb in the 3rd.? Get lucky and hit the jackpot with a gem...that would be awesome.

#15 -- right now am guessing pass rusher depending on who's left;  Polite, Burns, Ferrell.     If they go QB in the third, guessing its Rypien if he's still there. 

2 minutes ago, mistertim said:

Yeah I've noticed that he's really polarizing as well. I'm not sure I really understand it though. Yes he missed a year due to failing a drug test but it was apparently some OTC stuff he didn't realize wasn't allowed and I've never read anything negative about his character or leadership.

I've watched some interviews of him, he comes like a good dude, married has a young kid, has famous siblings on social media.  

What's rypiens first name?

1 hour ago, clskinsfan said:

Kerrigan is a multi time pro bowler. Allen is on his way there IMO. I dont get the all of the hate on this roster all of the time. (not calling you out) This team is a WR and a good QB away from a consistent playoff team IMO. Now is this a Super Bowl roster? I dont know. Bit I know the Colts are curb stomping the Texans on their home field right now. A good QB MEANS EVERYTHING in this league. It is time for us to take a chance on one early in this draft. If he doesnt show promise do it again next year. I am sick of the retread old QB's.

How bout j johnson? is it just me or did he look like he could control an offense with the way he performed against Jacksonville and Tennessee?..

4 hours ago, Anselmheifer said:

We need LB's that can cover. Reuben Foster can cover, but will likely miss the beginning of the season, and who knows how many more times he's going to get into trouble in the next few years.

There's a process for Suspensions by the league for guys that get into trouble.  Includes arbitration process for the suspension.  When a guy gets arrested and then not charged it's defaulting to the low side of the scale.  Maybe he gets a few games suspension, but that's not going to matter.  The first 4 games of the season are normally scattered with hamstring injuries and acclimating schemes. 

I'd like to see them get an true Edge Rusher opposite Kerrigan.  I'd agree that they need an upgrade in the LB'er corp.  They gave up a lot when they lost Fuller in the Smith trade. They need some drastic improvement in coverage.  Defense is a mess except the young down DL'men. 

9 minutes ago, RabidFan said:

Josh couldnt even throw dumpoffs to CT in last game. Turrible. 

Well ya I imagine errybody packed it in..I didn't even watch..I watched the tracker thing on nfl.com and that's what it looked like to me that they just laid completely down..

Archived