Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2019 Comprehensive Draft Thread

Going Commando

I've been skeptical on this very thread about waiting for 2020 to draft a QB because I didn't think the roster was such where it would be bad enough to be in position to get a high pick.  I am slowly changing my mind on this.  Here is why:

Safety has all of sudden become a mess.  no need to elaborate why we all know.

Corner is already thin as is and there is some talk of letting Norman go

Is Ryan Anderson the answer at RDE?  Don't know but that's a wildcard if Preston is gone which some who cover the team say is likely

Even with R. Foster not being charged, good chance he gets suspended for multiple games like Elliot did. 

Vernon Davis for cap reasons is likely to be let go. 

But the biggest reason is this QB.  Josh Johnson was exposed versus the Eagles.  Colt to me is likely just a guy but even if I felt otherwise what does he last like 5 games?

They likely have to address:  FS, SS, TE, WR, QB, CB.  Maybe Edge and MLB, too.   That's a lot.  And yeah I get every team has holes but that's a lot to cover.  And the cap room situation is a mess. 

I think this is a different roster when you have a scrub at QB like we do now.   I know the step back point is counter intuitive for a team building via the draft but I think this team likely does do that.   i am not an Alex Smith guy at all, I think he's mediocre but the dude is better than Johnson-McCoy. 

I don't think its an accident that they went 1-6 with him out of the lineup.  So somehow with more departures, almost no cap room, we are going to rebound next season?  I don't see it.  And I've been optimistic for the last three seasons about their prospects.  But this season at this given time (unless there are some off season surprises) feels like a lose the battle season to ultimately win the war.  

That doesn't mean that am pessimistic about this team's future, I like some of the building blocks but it feels like s step down season.  I am pessimistic in some regard because of the FO but that's a different point.  This here kind of reminds me a little of the Jets from years back who had a young dominant defensive line but had a putrid passing game so they were losers anyway. 

So that's my long winded way of saying, going 5-11 or worse in 2019 and be set up to land a QB in the 2020 draft -- doesn't feel that crazy to me now on further reflection.  And I argued it previously the other way.  Am changing my mind on this.   Maybe I'll change my mind again but at the moment I think next season is looking like a losing year.

Lets go all Oklahoma on the left side.    Trent-Cody.  And just run the heck out of the ball with Peterson-Guice-Thompson.

1 hour ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

I still think Safety gets addressed in FA. And I think we probably end up bringing back Crowder. Meaning we can still address WR but not necessarily have to focus on SWR in the draft. Also probably some veteran depth on defense at either CB or ILB. Otherwise I think we go into the draft in prettt good shape. 

LG, Edge, WR, QB with first 4 picks and CB/ILB/TE as possible picks with our 5th rounders. 

Probably a best case is a DL run early and trading back to get into the 20s. Add a 2 or a 3/4 and draft a LG there.

Ford would likely be a good pick at 15 and a stud but I also think there’s 3-4 Guards who can plug and play and get taken in the late 1st to mid-2nd 

I fully expect a lot of DL to go early, which is great for us. Theres a lot of top end DL talent in this class and we are set there. Absolutely no reason to go there early so it works out for us. I think edge, ILB and OL are the biggest needs. WR is pointless until we actually have a QB to get them the ball. 

3 hours ago, BRAVEONAWARPATH said:

I mean technically he has one year of production but anyone who has  followed Haskins' career trajectory knows it wasn't a fluke.

Now the trading up aspect is a legitimate concern. I'd still do it but I understand where you're coming from.

I'm not necessarily saying it was a fluke as I think he's a very talented prospect. It's more about how ready he'll be to play soon. There's probably a 95% chance that whatever team takes him (likely in the top 3 if not #1 overall) will expect him to come in and start right away. With only one year of starting play at QB in college will he really be ready for that or would it hinder him and be essentially throwing him under the bus? If we gave up multiple 1st rounders to go get Haskins you know damn well he'd be expected to start immediately here and there would be tons of pressure on him.

Germaine Pratt could be great when combined with Foster. He's 240# and came into NC State as a safety. Reportedly runs a 4.55. Can cover. Led the ACC in tackles. Watch the Clemson highlights below. They line him up, heads up over WR and ask him to cover down field. 

http://walterfootball.com/draft2019ILB.php

NCState_logo.gif Germaine Pratt, ILB, N.C. State 
Height: 6-2. Weight: 241. 
Projected 40 Time: 4.55. 
Projected Round (2019): 2-3. 

12/15/18: Thus far in 2018, Pratt has 104 tackles with 10.5 for a loss, six sacks, two forced fumbles and three passes broken up. The senior is playing really well. He is a strong and physical run defender with sideline-to-sideline speed. Pratt also has shown some pass-coverage skills, and that is not that surprising considering he came to N.C. State as a safety. Pratt could be a three-down starting inside linebacker early in his NFL career. 

8/29/18: According to NFL teams' preseason data provided by team sources, Pratt checks in 6-foot-2, 241 pounds with 31.5-inch arms, 8.75-inch hands, and a wingspan of 75.88 inches. They have him running the 40-yard dash in 4.55 seconds. 

The Wolfpack defensive line was loaded with four future draft picks in 2017, but the program also had some quality linebackers who went under the radar. Pratt was one of those players, as he totaled 69 tackles with two pick-sixes, 5.5 tackles for a loss and two passes broken up. Pratt possesses a good build and some surprising speed.

1st: Byron Murphy

2nd: Germaine Pratt

3rd:Paris Campbell

3rd:OG

5-7:BPA

FA: Landon Collins

FA:Jadaveon Clowney

Defense fixed and SB quality. 

2 hours ago, sportjunkie07 said:

If we trade up for haskins im out until this team is competitive again.

Some interesting wrs in this draft. Lots of bigger guys with questions. Some teams are going to get really good value. Andy isabella and Whiteside are 2 intriguing prospects. 

Was just watching tape of Isabella.  He definitely brings the speed we need at the position.  Wasn’t totally blown away by him, but he looks like a well rounded receiver.  2nd round is a bit rich for my blood, but I’d strongly consider taking him in the 3rd. 

59 minutes ago, Burgundy Yoda said:

I fully expect a lot of DL to go early, which is great for us. Theres a lot of top end DL talent in this class and we are set there. Absolutely no reason to go there early so it works out for us. I think edge, ILB and OL are the biggest needs. WR is pointless until we actually have a QB to get them the ball. 

Generally agree with you here, but I think there’s something to be said for taking a receiver.  You’re giving them a year to develop - their body, learning the system, learning more nuance, etc - before pairing them up with a (hopefully good) qb.  So I see where you’re coming from, but I guess I’d say we might be fine to wait as opposed to it being pointless.  

@Skinsinparadise - I agree we probably take a step back this year (which could be a very good thing for us).  Personally, I just can’t imagine Allen staying pat at qb (unless Smith miraculously looks like he’ll be recovered... which we all doubt).  

There are so many possibilities here and I’m afraid the worst ones - blowing much of our cap on a FA qb or trading the farm for Haskins - are what he’s most likely to do.  The best ones (IMO) - drafting a day 3 guy or rolling with what we have and look to next year - are probably the least likely for Allen.  The last option is where I hope he lands (if the prior two are off the table) - taking a 1st rounder without trading up.  If he goes this route, I hope it’s Grier.  

Okay, back to your point about taking a step back and our numerous needs.

Without getting into the details, the overall roster could/should actually be improved with injured guys returning, young guys developing, and Rueben Foster in the lineup.  Even more so if we re-sign AP, find a starting safety in FA, a starting guard in the draft and draft a contributor or two - OLB, WR, TE, corner or safety, etc.  Ties into all of that, in terms of our ‘needs’, yes we have a lot of them, but some of them are closer (IMO) to pieces we could really use as opposed to outright holes on the roster.  

Overall though, yeah... even if the roster does improve a bit, I still expect to struggle because of our qb.  

3 minutes ago, HardcoreZorn said:

Any updates on where Kyler Murray’s head is at?

I don't think we will hear anything for a while, and probably part of this is based on what he is hearing about where he might go in the draft. 

My Byron Murphy crush continues. 

7 minutes ago, HardcoreZorn said:

Any updates on where Kyler Murray’s head is at?

Rumor today he might consider going back to school for one more year via Gil Brandt.

If I am a betting man, he eschews baseball and enters this year. If so Dan falls in love with him but he is not Jay's type of QB so doubt they draft him.

22 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Rumor today he might consider going back to school for one more year via Gil Brandt.

If I am a betting man, he eschews baseball and enters this year. If so Dan falls in love with him but he is not Jay's type of QB so doubt they draft him.

I would be amazed if Dan doesnt get his way in a scenario he falls in love with a player. I can see him being one of these guys "I am the owner, and you are the coach, you'll coach whoever is on the football field". 

3 hours ago, Burgundy Yoda said:

We need everything but DL. Anyone is upgradable 

Some version of this is true for every team.  Does anyone have more than five or six guys who 10 year stud starter types who are essentially impossible to upgrade?

That's a big reason why BPA is the way to draft...

Except when it comes to QB.  QB is the one position you abandon BPA for.  QB is a must.  It's the foundation for your build.  It's the essential leadership position and you can't run a functional, competitive offense without one.  If you don't have one, you're screwed and won't be able to compete that year.

I've been following the conversation about our needs that's taken place throughout the season, but really picked up steam since the season ended.  It's surprising to me that so many people are failing to recognize that QB is our biggest need.  It's the worst position and situation on the roster by far.  It's also the position we're least able to fill through free agency.  Spending high draft picks on any other position when you don't have a QB is a luxury.

25 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Some version of this is true for every team.  Does anyone have more than five or six guys who 10 year stud starter types who are essentially impossible to upgrade?

That's a big reason why BPA is the way to draft...

Except when it comes to QB.  QB is the one position you abandon BPA for.  QB is a must.  It's the foundation for your build.  It's the essential leadership position and you can't run a functional, competitive offense without one.  If you don't have one, you're screwed and won't be able to compete that year.

I've been following the conversation about our needs that's taken place throughout the season, but really picked up steam since the season ended.  It's surprising to me that so many people are failing to recognize that QB is our biggest need.  It's the worst position and situation on the roster by far.  It's also the position we're least able to fill through free agency.  Spending high draft picks on any other position when you don't have a QB is a luxury.

I agree 100%. How would you feel about Will Grier if we stay put at 15? I think he has a little Drew Brees in him, but so have a lot of guys that have failed in the league. 

Also, I'm watching Eagles and Bears now. I used to be theboomking on this board but couldn't figure out how to get back into that profile. As I remember, you really liked Foles coming out of college. 

Can anyone here make a list of mid to late round QB's that have had prolonged success in the NFL in recent years? I don't think it's a long list and I do think that is probably a waste of a mid round pick and a philosophy of team building more grounded in fantasy than reality. 

Here is the ESPN list of the top passers in the NFL. Not a lot of mid round guys on there. Even in the bottom of the rankings. 

http://www.espn.com/nfl/statistics/player/_/stat/passing/sort/passingYards/seasontype/2

1 hour ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

The way I see it they have a crap position in the draft to deal with QB.  If they lost to Jax they'd be picking #8.  But at #15, you got Denver, NY Giants, Jax, Miami all picking ahead of them.

Following the rumorville (granted it could be wrong but its all I got now)  Giants likely hot on Haskins.  They'd likely have to trade up but are in good position to do it from #6.  Elway supposedly loves Lock.  Jax big time desperate for QB, and likely takes Jones if he's the 2nd best QB.  Dolphins are letting Tannehill go and are starting from scratch at QB so if lets say Murray enters the draft, wouldn't shock me if they chase him -- its a boring team, the owner likes excitement, Murray would bring some buzz.

Not saying it happens like that but reading on those 4 teams I doubt they are skipping Qb in this draft and they are positioned right now decently to draft one right now.

So that would leave us with the next tier:  Grier, Rypien, Finley, etc.  Of those three, I like Grier the best.   I enjoy watching Grier but at the same time I don't trust myself judging Big 12 Qbs -- so its tough for me to ignore numerous draft geeks who say Grier doesn't have the goods.  Not saying they are right or wrong but have heard enough about the WV system, Grier's arm strength and mechanics to question whether there is something to all that criticism.  

Now looking at 2020.  Tua looks like a stud.  Fromm lost some luster I noticed with observers this season especially after his performance against Texas.  But I like him from what i've seen.   Herbert some think will refine his game with another season and some think the dude might surpass Tua after that -- but who knows.  Haven't watched Jacob Eason or Costello.    Wondering what the competition will be for that 2020 crop if NY Giants, Jax, Miami, Denver take care of business in this draft.  Doesn't seem like there will be too many teams in the hunt, maybe Tampa?

I have to admit a lot of this is about my man crush for Tua, I've seen him twice live this year and he tore it up both times.   I think he is the best shot to solve this team's woes at QB -- and he'd be a marketing dream for Dan between being a good guy, the Hawaii stuff, and really going to town further on the team's connection to Alabama. 

And I do think if the QB tandem this year is Colt/Johnson they can have a bad year in spite of the rest of the roster.  Heck the defense was mostly healthy in the home stretch and they went 1-6 with that combination against a fairly mediocre crop of opponents.  The idea of tanking for Tua doesn't seem as outlandish for me as it did like a month ago.   

And I think it would be a lucky break if that happened -- I agree with Clinton Portis who was asked recently why do you think this team hasn't gotten over the hump during Dan's tenure -- part of his answer is the team does just enough to avoid being awful and that process takes franchise QBs among other type of slam dunk stud players often out of reach for this team to draft.  I think that's a bit hyperbole because they'd have plenty of runs in the 4-6 range.  But never #1.  And only #2 twice - one time via Casserly's trades, and the other time in 2013 they didn't own the pick. 

2 hours ago, skinny21 said:

@Skinsinparadise - I agree we probably take a step back this year (which could be a very good thing for us).

Agree it would be a good thing.

Personally, I just can’t imagine Allen staying pat at qb (unless Smith miraculously looks like he’ll be recovered... which we all doubt).  

Alas, agree with this too.  Having said that I don't mind them grabbing one if they love the dude at 15 or if they trade up a little.  But not a kings ransom kind of deal.  Bruce-Dan have been a train wreck at QB over the years -- I barely trust them to make the right call on a QB let alone mortgage multiple picks for one.  This team during Dan's reign have given up six #1 picks.  two #2 round picks.  four #3 round picks.  And two 4th rounders and ended up still without a franchise QB.  That's train wreck level bad. 

So if they come to the conclusion for example that Daniel Jones is the goods and lets trade up and give up their 2nd and next years first for him -- I am not going to trust it.  If he lands at #15, what the heck, then its fine.  If no one lands at #15.  I'd build the trenches some more, add supporting cast and then chase a Qb hard in 2020.

There are so many possibilities here and I’m afraid the worst ones - blowing much of our cap on a FA qb or trading the farm for Haskins - are what he’s most likely to do.  The best ones (IMO) - drafting a day 3 guy or rolling with what we have and look to next year - are probably the least likely for Allen.  The last option is where I hope he lands (if the prior two are off the table) - taking a 1st rounder without trading up.  If he goes this route, I hope it’s Grier.  

I am ok with that.  I have to digest Grier more.  I like Grier but among some of the draft geeks I've respected over the years -- they suggest I am not supposed to like Grier so I have to dive in that more.  I often just ride with my own opinions.  But on QB, I know its the hardest position for scouts to judge let alone me, a layperson watching from my couch.  That goes double for Big 12 Qbs.  I was among those that fell for RG3, he was fantastic against Big 12 defenses.  So am gun shy about trusting my own instincts on this. 

Okay, back to your point about taking a step back and our numerous needs.

Without getting into the details, the overall roster could/should actually be improved with injured guys returning, young guys developing, and Rueben Foster in the lineup.  Even more so if we re-sign AP, find a starting safety in FA, a starting guard in the draft and draft a contributor or two - OLB, WR, TE, corner or safety, etc.  Ties into all of that, in terms of our ‘needs’, yes we have a lot of them, but some of them are closer (IMO) to pieces we could really use as opposed to outright holes on the roster.  

Overall though, yeah... even if the roster does improve a bit, I still expect to struggle because of our qb.  

My thought is there are plenty of examples of teams loaded on defense, have a terrible passing offense and still struggle.  Heck the Cardinals, worst team in the NFL this year have some studs on defense and for awhile had one of the top ranked ones albeit they faded ultimately.  Jets had some insanely good young players at defense years back and a decent running game but were still bad.  It could happen here.

If Bruce-Jay are focused on win now to save their jobs, I'd go with a monster at LG like a Cody Ford, add a pass rusher and just hope to dominate both lines of scrimmages and even if the passing game does nothing -- hope to have a monster run game.  I was probably the lead cheerleader last year (or if not at least top 3) for Derrius Guice before the draft.  So I am jazzed to see him play.

14 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Agree it would be a good thing.

Alas, agree with this too.  Having said that I don't mind them grabbing one if they love the dude at 15 or if they trade up a little.  But not a kings ransom kind of deal.  Bruce-Dan have been a train wreck at QB over the years -- I barely trust them to make the right call on a QB let alone mortgage multiple picks for one.  This team during Dan's reign have given up six #1 picks.  two #2 round picks.  four #3 round picks.  And two 4th rounders and ended up still without a franchise QB.  That's train wreck level bad. 

So if they come to the conclusion for example that Daniel Jones is the goods and lets trade up and give up their 2nd and next years first for him -- I am not going to trust it.  If he lands at #15, what the heck, then its fine.  If no one lands at #15.  I'd build the trenches some more, add supporting cast and then chase a Qb hard in 2020.

I am ok with that.  I have to digest Grier more.  I like Grier but among some of the draft geeks I've respected over the years -- they suggest I am not supposed to like Grier so I have to dive in that more.  I often just ride with my own opinions.  But on QB, I know its the hardest position for scouts to judge let alone me, a layperson watching from my couch.  That goes double for Big 12 Qbs.  I was among those that fell for RG3, he was fantastic against Big 12 defenses.  So am gun shy about trusting my own instincts on this. 

My thought is there are plenty of examples of teams loaded on defense, have a terrible passing offense and still struggle.  Heck the Cardinals, worst team in the NFL this year have some studs on defense and for awhile had one of the top ranked ones albeit they faded ultimately.  Jets had some insanely good young players at defense years back and a decent running game but were still bad.  It could happen here.

If Bruce-Jay are focused on win now to save their jobs, I'd go with a monster at LG like a Cody Ford, add a pass rusher and just hope to dominate both lines of scrimmages and even if the passing game does nothing -- hope to have a monster run game.  I was probably the lead cheerleader last year (or if not at least top 3) for Derrius Guice before the draft.  So I am jazzed to see him play.

This isn't a 4-12 roster. Without a QB, it's probably a 7-9 to 9-7 roster. I'm tired of the roller coaster. 

@SkinsinparadiseI was in that top 3 with you my man.  :)

I’d be thrilled to land Ford.  Our run game could finally take off (and improve in consistency), and it would help our young qb (whenever we find him). 

As for Grier... what helps me the most in terms of liking him and dismissing some of the criticism, is his calmness/poise and his elusiveness.  Obviously he also throws a nice deep ball and looks great at intermediate throws too.  

The two biggest issues I see are that he sometimes stands in the pocket too long, and he occasionally forces throws (see his 3 pick day vs... Kansas?  Or was it Kentucky?).  I do worry that fast defenses might make life harder on him since he doesn’t have a cannon.  I think he’s a good fit for Jay though.  I’d like to get him a burner to throw to if we did draft him.  

BTW, I wasn’t all that clear with one of my points earlier.  We have some needs - LG and Safety (and qb) - that are clear holes.  Others though - receiver, corner, and maybe edge rusher/ILB - are areas we could ‘get by with’.  So if you list all of those together, the list looks longer and therefore the prospects of the team look dimmer.  

But again, qb could well (almost certainly will) sink the season.  

While I agree with most the 2020 draft could be packed with good QB's and we could be much higher in the draft order if we ride Colt/whoever and gut out the season.

I'm curious if Trevor Lawrence declares after next season, from a business standpoint if he plays next season like he did this season then his 3rd year in college is 100% risk and 0% reward unless he's looking for personal goals.

34 minutes ago, Anselmheifer said:

This isn't a 4-12 roster. Without a QB, it's probably a 7-9 to 9-7 roster. I'm tired of the roller coaster. 

I used to think that.  Not so sure this roster is a 7-9 to 9-7 roster status quo.  They went 1-6 with the likely same slate of QBs we will have next season.   And heck we could have easily lost that Jax game.  And our defense actually had good luck injury wise.   They have little cap room to fix things.   

And listening to beat guys who cover the team, we likely get a purge of more guys leaving -- likely Preston, maybe Norman, likely Clinton-Dix, maybe Crowder, likely Z. Brown, likely Vernon Davis.  Heck even Peterson isn't slam dunk returning.

I don't see this as a slam dunk 7-9, 9-7 roster.   I am not the only guy with this position, I was listening to JP Finlay (and he's often mr, pollyana) talk about this ironically in an interview I just caught up with saying to him 2019 looks bleaker than 2018 and he thinks they are in for some trouble.

I couch my point though this way.  If the Redskins surprisingly find ways to be aggressive in ways they lately haven't been.  For example, they sign a Landon Collins in FA versus their more frequent style of bargain basement type signings -- I might change my mind.  The off season hasn't begun so my thoughts might change based on what happens.

34 minutes ago, skinny21 said:

As for Grier... what helps me the most in terms of liking him and dismissing some of the criticism, is his calmness/poise and his elusiveness.  Obviously he also throws a nice deep ball and looks great at intermediate throws too.  

The two biggest issues I see are that he sometimes stands in the pocket too long, and he occasionally forces throws (see his 3 pick day vs... Kansas?  Or was it Kentucky?).  I do worry that fast defenses might make life harder on him since he doesn’t have a cannon.  I think he’s a good fit for Jay though.  I’d like to get him a burner to throw to if we did draft him. 

I've watched multiple games this year from Grier, favorite being versus Oklahoma.  He has moxie and seems to have good pocket presence, nice touch on his throws.  Everything i've seen I liked.  But I've noticed critics say in order to get mustard on the ball he has to set his feet and put his body into the throws -- and some of the better QBs in the NFL can put zip on the ball when being rushed even without being able to set their feet.  Some question the WV spread system and how that translates for him to transition to the NFL.   And he's not a big dude.    I recall Daniel Jeremiah liked him, praised him a bunch and then compared his play to Andy Dalton.  And while I like Dalton that analogy doesn't get me jazzed.  But yeah I've paid attention to Grier, even watched some interviews of him -- i like him just wondering if I should like him.  I have to digest it more.  

28 minutes ago, JSSkinz said:

While I agree with most the 2020 draft could be packed with good QB's and we could be much higher in the draft order if we ride Colt/whoever and gut out the season.

I'm curious if Trevor Lawrence declares after next season, from a business standpoint if he plays next season like he did this season then his 3rd year in college is 100% risk and 0% reward unless he's looking for personal goals.

Isnt Trevor Lawrence a true freshman?  Next season would be his sophomore year.

2 hours ago, Anselmheifer said:

I agree 100%. How would you feel about Will Grier if we stay put at 15? I think he has a little Drew Brees in him, but so have a lot of guys that have failed in the league. 

Also, I'm watching Eagles and Bears now. I used to be theboomking on this board but couldn't figure out how to get back into that profile. As I remember, you really liked Foles coming out of college.  

That was such a good QB class.  I did like Foles and I liked Cousins too.  Interesting how QB rooms can get crowded with NFL talent like that.  Same thing happened at Oklahoma and Texas Tech more recently.  And maybe Washington State as well, to a lesser extent.

I loved Russell Wilson that year too.  Loved Luck and RGIII.  Two of the strongest prospects I have ever seen.  I even liked Weeden, but his age meant he was never going to have a long career even if everything went right for him.

Speaking of the Bears, don't know if you were around in 2017, but I really liked Trubisky as a prospect too.  He almost beat a stacked Stanford team in his bowl game.  That game will always remind me of the value of a quarterback.  Stanford absolutely dominated the line of scrimmage and Solomon Thomas had as good and impactful a game as a DT can possibly have.  And Trubisky still almost beat them with a significantly worse roster around him.  I think it came down to a failed two point conversion as time was running down.  They beat the crap out of him and sent him running all day.  Had him in a constant third and long and he just kept making plays.

Last year's QB class was like 2012.  It hurts that we missed out on the class.  And it hurts that we missed out on a very good 2017 class as well.  ESPECIALLY since we weren't settled with Cousins and he had a trade market.  Not dealing him to get the pick to get Watson or Mahomes was a catastrophic amount of opportunity cost paid.  Having him eventually walk for nothing and then having to give up a pick and a player to pay Alex Smith what we wouldn't give Cousins is the kind of move that threatens to end my fandom if I don't studiously pretend like it never happened.  Having that move blow up in our face in the worst possible way is fitting.  We couldn't possibly have botched our QB situation any more than we did and, truthfully, everyone whose been involved with this debacle should have been fired last offseason, including Gruden.  ****ing up quarterback is the reason that we wasted the careers of Kerrigan and Trent.  They only got one season of legit competitiveness as Redskins.  It's the reason we'll waste Scherff's career too.  And Jonathan Allen is about to turn 24.  If we don't get a QB ASAP, we'll be flushing his career too.

We need to be honest about the stakes for next season: if we don't get a QB this offseason, everyone is going to get fired next offseason.  We'll be starting over from square one.  Maybe that's for the best.  Gruden has been culpable in our quarterback failures and I'm not convinced any coach deserves a fourth shot at the position.  But it's really hard to root for that.  Especially when the OL and the defense are this close to being championship caliber.  The best scenario for everyone (except maybe Alex Smith) is for us to get our QB this year and we have a good season and make the playoffs.

Anyway to answer your question, I don't have an opinion on Will Grier yet.  I watched a couple of West Virginia games but I haven't evaluated him.  I still have to do him, Minshew, Jones, and Finley.

Archived