Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2019 Comprehensive Draft Thread

Going Commando

On 11/23/2018 at 10:32 PM, volsmet said:

I’ll hope for it again. Trade out of this draft unless a freak falls to us in the first, trade out of the next if we don’t find ourselves in position for Tua/etc, trade Trent for picks, stockpile firsts for the JT Daniels/Trevor Lawrence draft. We need to stop repeating the things that make us the least interesting average team in sports history. We can position ourselves to have Trevor Lawrence for 15 years, I’d go ahead and do that. We can be average while planning our take over of the nfl. By the time Lawrence is here, we should have a Dline than will obliterate everyone. 

We should have begun this process a year ago, but Dan will come around as reads the ES & digests another season without a playoff win. 

Reminds me, we need to grab Anthony McFarland in 2020 to complete our backfield before we grab Lawrence. 

May need 8 or 9 firsts to get Trevor. What a show the youngster has put on.

8 hours ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

Surprised the NBC article would print something so wrong that is* pretty much common sense. We would have gotten another 5th if we didn’t sign an equal contract. But we did. Paul Richardson. That wiped the Long comp pick out 

There seems to be a number of things wrong with that article:

"When Spencer Long signed with the New York Jets last year, he could have meant another pick for the Redskins, but his performance did not rate high enough for OverTheCap.com to include him in their projections. "

I think the Paul Richardson signing negated any comp pick we would have received for losing Long, not his performance.

"The Redskins...hold picks in all seven rounds. Once the compensatory picks become final in late February, it's expected the Redskins will hold 10 picks, with two selections in the third, fifth and sixth rounds."

I don't think the Skins hold picks in all seven rounds..didn't they use a 4th for Clinton-Dix and a 6th for Adonis in the supplemental draft?

1 minute ago, Califan007 said:

There seems to be a number of things wrong with

"The Redskins...hold picks in all seven rounds. Once the compensatory picks become final in late February, it's expected the Redskins will hold 10 picks, with two selections in the third, fifth and sixth rounds."

I don't think the Skins hold picks in all seven rounds..didn't they use a 4th for Clinton-Dix and a 6th for Adonis in the supplemental draft?

3 (supp)

5 (supp)

6 (supp)

Abram - Played FS, but both a FS and a SS to be honest. Temperament and style = SS. A hitter, maybe a tad reckless in over-pursuit. But has coverage and ball skills, mostly attributable to great athleticism and speed. One macro look at his body/speed/power quotient and you know he's an NFL player. Really don't have to over analyze him, just select him. He's just great raw clay for any competent Secondary coach. He plays FS like I used to play FS, but with a body and athleticism that I would have killed for. Scouts have graded him 1st round. 

Rapp - More FS than anything else due to instinctive coverage positioning and skills. Washington interchanged their safeties. He and Mcintosh rotated between FS and SS, respectively, but they split field and/or slotted high--low often enough. He popped his true freshman year and that's a notable distinction for skills position players, imo. Plus marks in coverage and alignment. The devaluation or hesitation on stock is body type, size and athleticism, which are not superlative. Rapp received a 2nd round grade from the draft advisory board as an early entrant. My grade may differ slightly. 

Simmons - Technically a Safety, better said Nickel LB. As I alluded to, this group diversifies the modern day "safety" into the predominately used three-position hybrid. Simmons is lengthy, obviously. Looks bigger and longer than program profile indicates. He is draft eligible as a redshirt Soph. Honestly he should ride high the wave after the National Championship win and declare. Simmons is the kind of player being used in today's match-up league. He's the type you play man-to-man Iso with against TE's -- ie: Power Forward vs Power Forward. He's not as twitchy as you'd hope. not as sudden when matched against shiftier Slots, he'll lose ground to those guys. But since he's rolled up into the box, he's a block out rebounder, an impromptu blitzer, and roams between the numbers and within 10/15 yards of the LOS. Because he's a role player, a hybrid, despite being a starter, it will subdue his stock price. Easy addition to round out the "interior defense" of today's modern era against "inside--out" offenses (whose primary receivers being RB/TE/Slot).

S. Williams - As I wrote earlier, criminally under the radar. If it were not for the mandated 2 year service commitment for all academy graduates, he could easily be called Day 3 just like Keenan Reynolds did. Against AAC competition, dude moved like a missile. His powerful hits resulted in an NCAA leading number of forced fumbles for defensive backs. Willing tackler, physical attributes, and good body. Nothing superlative for the NFL. And he's not a twitchy change of direction guy, he's more of a straight line guy. Lined up at FS predominately, but more suited to rolled up SS - Rover, imo. He'll match single man in the Slot, split field in Cover 2 and align deep centerfield. When he gets a head of steam, he can fly and pop. Great human being. Glue guy. 

Thornhill and Mcintosh later. 

1 hour ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

3 (supp)

5 (supp)

6 (supp)

So they were wrong there too lol...article said the Skins would have 10 picks after the compensatory picks were added, but they'll only have 8 picks (for the reasons I mentioned earlier). That was yet another poorly written/researched article involving the Skins. A lot of them going around lately.

Some strong Alabama takes coming your way after last night's debacle:

1 - Jonah Williams is good, but not top five good.  Should be a teens pick but he'll probably go top ten because of the lack of top end tackle talent in this year's class.

2 - Quinnen is as good as advertised.  Top five talent.

3 - Deionte Thompson is not.  Ronnie Harrison was better than this kid.  He's tough and fast and plays with heart but he's lanky and stiff and, bless his heart, comes off as dumb as a brick.  In an ideal world, he'd go back for another year.  But he's got to come out now while the first round hype is there.  He's going to need hand holding and a lot of mental reps to get his concepts down and not sure NFL teams are going to be patient enough with him.  Safety is a real sink or swim position.

4 - Anfernee Jennings is the second best player on this defense, but his injury history and lack of career production means he's a day three flier.

5 - Christian Miller and Isaiah Buggs are JAGs.  Day three grinders.

6 - Mack Wilson and Raekwon Davis are being wildly overrated.  Davis is a third round talent based on being a body.  Wilson is a day three talent.  He needs to go back for his senior season.

7 hours ago, Califan007 said:

There seems to be a number of things wrong with that article:

"When Spencer Long signed with the New York Jets last year, he could have meant another pick for the Redskins, but his performance did not rate high enough for OverTheCap.com to include him in their projections. "

I think the Paul Richardson signing negated any comp pick we would have received for losing Long, not his performance.

are we reading the same article?

https://www.nbcsports.com/washington/redskins/one-year-later-redskins-will-finally-get-compensation-losing-kirk-cousins

The Redskins have the No. 15 overall pick in the 2019 NFL Draft, and hold picks in all rounds except the fourth. That selection got sent to Green Bay in a midseason trade for Ha Ha Clinton-Dix. Once the compensatory picks become final in late February, it's expected the Redskins will hold nine picks, with two selections in the third, fifth and sixth rounds. 

or did he somehow edit it after posting?  

29 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

5 - Christian Miller and Isaiah Buggs are JAGs.  Day three grinders.

Did Christian Miller even play?  I saw him come out for the coin toss but otherwise thought he was on the bench because of hamstring issues.  I haven't studied Christian for draft purposes but I've matched most of Alabama's games this year including 2 in person, Christian always seems to be making plays for what its worth.   He doesn't look like though a super athlete with bend and is more of a try hard guy so the new Ryan Anderson?

I really want to dig Mack Wilson, coverage MLB, who blitzes and does it all but he seems to overrun plays and is out of position too much -- draft geeks love him though I notice.  Ditto Deionte Thompson who had horrendous game last night but have seen some good games from him this season.  

I want Alabama's receivers in 2020, especially Jeudy and to a lesser extent Ruggs.  I still like Tua even though yesterday wasn't his best game.  The prizes from yesterday clearly were Lawrence, assume top prize by a mile in 2021 and his acrobatic receiver Ross.  Etienne looks like a stud, too.

Clelin Ferrell who I haven't really studied much, played well when I paid attention to him.  I noticed he's all over the map in mocks right now -- top 10 at times, top 20 other times.  

With the way things typically go, we will be out of the range of all of these guys with our 8-8 runs.  Giants seem to have the gift at crashing at the right times so they end up with Lawrence and Jeudy and dominate this division for years after that. 😥  

As for the comp pick stuff

1st

2nd

3rd

5th

5th

6th

7th

7th

This has been determined so we are all guessing.  But I thought its this, not sure if Grant's loss is a 6th or 7th pick. 

FA's lost:  Kirk (3rd), Long (5th), Pryor, Grant (6th or 7th), Murphy( 5th). 

The Richardson signing made them lose if I recall one of the 5ths between the Long and Murphy signings otherwise I think they'd have three 5s

Lose a 4th for Clinton-Dix, lose a 6th for Alexander

As for Finley's article, I don't think they'd have 9 picks but 8.  

22 minutes ago, OVCChairman said:

are we reading the same article?

https://www.nbcsports.com/washington/redskins/one-year-later-redskins-will-finally-get-compensation-losing-kirk-cousins

or did he somehow edit it after posting?  

They’re forgetting we forgo our 6th for picking Adonis Alexander in the supplemental —- a pick btw many are forgetting and not factoring into the equation. 

Even at his Alexander’s low end draft projection should he have played at Tech this year of a 3rd rounder ... if you told me Skins would have a 1, 2, 3, 3, 3 and use one of those 3’s on a big CB from VT this year I would be fine with that addition and say we didn’t need to address it again (assuming Norman is back).

lets not forget that going into the off-season. He didn’t play much but that was never the goal. 

@Skinsinparadise per the OTC article yesterday, they’re projecting we get a 7th for Niles. But since Comps are capped at a total of 32, the other 7th comp the skins could have gotten falls around 36/37 so we wouldn’t get that one awarded. 

The 6th is for Ryan Grant I believe. 

3 - Cousins

5 - Long

5 - Murphy

6 - Grant

7 - Paul

7 - Compton

Long’s 5th is cancelled out by the signing of Paul Richardson and Compton’s 7th comp is valued below the cut off of 32

1 minute ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

They’re forgetting we forgo our 6th for picking Adonis Alexander in the supplemental —- a pick btw many are forgetting and not factoring into the equation. 

Even at his Alexander’s low end draft projection should he have played at Tech this year of a 3rd rounder ... if you told me Skins would have a 1, 2, 3, 3, 3 and use one of those 3’s on a big CB from VT this year I would be fine with that addition and say we didn’t need to address it again (assuming Norman is back).

lets not forget that going into the off-season. He didn’t play much but that was never the goal. 

i get that, the quote was just different than what i was reading. 

I agree that I think they're forgetting the 6th.  I'm like you, i'm good with that pick.  He didn't do much this year, but was active on special teams, and appeared to be a bit of a fiery guy.  That's all you can truly want from a 6th rounder.  Add to that 3rd round talent upside who now has now had a year in an NFL system.  He's also in the same position camp as Norman which will tend to draw the spotlight a little bit.  I look for him to take a couple steps forward this offseason.  

@OVCChairman and that was his low end projection. Granted things change rapidly in draft evaluation but I think the consensus was that had he entered the 2018 draft he was a likely 3rd round talent. Had he played last year he was pegged as a 1st to 3rd round pick in2019 

Since none of his issues appeared to be around performance and more for his off field flags, which he dispelled pretty well during interviews that showed his maturity, I think we could be pleasantly surprised once he’s called upon 

@stevemcqueen1 nice write up of last night’s prospects. I don’t think Anfernee is being overlooked because he is going in some mock drafts I’ve seen in the late 1st to early 3rd range. I know he hasn’t played a lot this year but he could be an off-season riser. He’s one of the “obvious” guys I think Skins could target in that 2nd round range should they address EDGE. Which I think it’s obvious they will barring a re-sign of Preston or going out and getting Clowney

also put me down as someone who’d basically give up the farm to somehow guarantee landing the 1.1 pick in 2021 along with 1.2 or 1.3 to also bring in that Clemson WR to pair with Lawrence 

I don’t pay too much attention but I can’t remember seeing a guy with that kind of zip and pinpoint accuracy with the ball. So crazy the guys just a true Fr

Sort of a random ? But would you be willing to give up All picks this year and our 1st and 2nd next year (meaning next year would be a very high pick) if it guaranteed you would have 1.1 and 1.2 in 2021? 

Idk if I would. I’m about the complete team rather than the individual. But you would give up assets NOW and then have all your picks in 2021 and beyond to build around Lawrence and Ross. 

13 minutes ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

nice write up of last night’s prospects. I don’t think Anfernee is being overlooked because he is going in some mock drafts I’ve seen in the late 1st to early 3rd range. I know he hasn’t played a lot this year but he could be an off-season riser. He’s one of the “obvious” guys I think Skins could target in that 2nd round range should they address EDGE. Which I think it’s obvious they will barring a re-sign of Preston or going out and getting Clowney 

That's crazy.  He's like a fifth round pick.  I like his game, but you can't take an edge rusher with 6.5 career sacks and an awful knee injury in his history before then.  He needs to go back for his senior year and stay healthy.

8 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

That's crazy.  He's like a fifth round pick.  I like his game, but you can't take an edge rusher with 6.5 career sacks and an awful knee injury in his history before then.  He needs to go back for his senior year and stay healthy.

I thought he was due to come out, so that makes sense. I know he's coming off that injury. Also, Terrell Lewis is another guy I think I saw going in that 3rd to 5th range, but he also didn't play a lot this year and he can go back too. So maybe neither one is available in 2019 ... but if either one is and they stick to their current Day 2 to Day 3 range, I wouldn't mind getting one of them. While it definitely goes against getting "healthy" guys sometimes it's hard to pass up on pure talent like that, especially in the middle rounds. I banged the drum so hard for getting Jaylon Smith even though we knew he would likely take a couple years to get back up to speed ... and Dallas made that investment and it's paying dividends now. I don't think you can build a roster on guys like that, but I don't think it hurts to invest a pick here or there to get someone with that level of talent. Book is obviously still out on Ryan Anderson, and he could be a stud for us going forward, but he strikes me as a safe pick ... and we need some studs. And sometimes, if you don't have the draft capital to invest in the healthy blue-chip guys, you have to take fliers on the blue-chip talents with injury issues in hopes you can strike gold with them down the road. Same argument I made for Myles Jack.

Now, those two guys were bonafide Top 5 talents that fell to Round 2 because of their injury issues. But they're now studs anchoring their respective defenses. Jennings and Lewis certainly aren't going into the 2019 draft process as Top 5 talents who will fall due to their injuries, but if they're guys you can get in the 3rd or 5th round range and they can deliver blue-chip talent in a year or two that would be a good thing to have IMO

6 minutes ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

Sort of a random ? But would you be willing to give up All picks this year and our 1st and 2nd next year (meaning next year would be a very high pick) if it guaranteed you would have 1.1 and 1.2 in 2021? 

Idk if I would. I’m about the complete team rather than the individual. But you would give up assets NOW and then have all your picks in 2021 and beyond to build around Lawrence and Ross. 

Nope

Lawrence just finished an amazing Freshman campaign but A LOT can change between now and 2021.  We have so many holes to fill and I really don't want to live on Free Agents.  I can't see spending 3 first round picks on ANY 1 player (2 traded plus pick used).  It's just giving up so much.  

39 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Did Christian Miller even play?  I saw him come out for the coin toss but otherwise thought he was on the bench because of hamstring issues.  I haven't studied Christian for draft purposes but I've matched most of Alabama's games this year including 2 in person, Christian always seems to be making plays for what its worth.   He doesn't look like though a super athlete with bend and is more of a try hard guy so the new Ryan Anderson?

I really want to dig Mack Wilson, coverage MLB, who blitzes and does it all but he seems to overrun plays and is out of position too much -- draft geeks love him though I notice.  Ditto Deionte Thompson who had horrendous game last night but have seen some good games from him this season.   

I want Alabama's receivers in 2020, especially Jeudy and to a lesser extent Ruggs.  I still like Tua even though yesterday wasn't his best game.  The prizes from yesterday clearly were Lawrence, assume top prize by a mile in 2021 and his acrobatic receiver Ross.  Etienne looks like a stud, too. 

Clelin Ferrell who I haven't really studied much, played well when I paid attention to him.  I noticed he's all over the map in mocks right now -- top 10 at times, top 20 other times.   

With the way things typically go, we will be out of the range of all of these guys with our 8-8 runs.  Giants seem to have the gift at crashing at the right times so they end up with Lawrence and Jeudy and dominate this division for years after that. 😥   

Miller didn't play.  I think your take on him is right.  He's a try-hard edge player but he's not nearly as good as Ryan Anderson was IMO.  Anderson has rare instincts and leadership qualities.  He was stronger and more productive than Miller.  I see Miller as being a day three pick who is kind of an afterthought in a crowded edge class.

I just don't think Wilson's very good.  Not an instinctive player which is death for a stack linebacker.  Not big.  Not particularly fast.  Not productive.  To me it's night and day how much better Devin White and Tevon Coney are.  Figure only about ten to fifteen ILBs get drafted most years.  You've got those two plus two guys from Clemson who are going to get drafted.   Two from Wisconsin.  The kid from NC State.  The kid from Buffalo.  Kids from Maryland and Washington.  The kid from Michigan.  A kid from South Carolina who should get drafted.  At least one each from Miami and Florida.  One from USC.  Mack Wilson's place in this is murky.  Why spend anything higher than a fifth rounder on him when he's definitely not better than Tre Watson or TJ Brunson and those guys can probably be had in the sixth or seventh rounds?

Ferrell is a top ten lock.  He's a prototype DE with three years of production.  He was a beast as a redshirt freshman and getting him to come back this season was a coup that helped them win another championship.  He would have been a top 20 pick last year too.  He's got an even better body than Bosa does and even though he's not as fast and flexible, I think he's smarter and more instinctive than Bosa.  He's one of the cleanest picks in the class.

35 minutes ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

So maybe neither one is available in 2019 ... but if either one is and they stick to their current Day 2 to Day 3 range, I wouldn't mind getting one of them.

I really like Anfernee Jennings.  He was one of the guys who popped last year when I was watching DaRon Payne.  I think he's better than his numbers and I would take a flier on him if he was there in round five.  But to do so any earlier would be imprudent IMO. 

I don't think he's a stud.  He's an enforcer type and glue man very similar to Ryan Anderson.  Someone who gets a key pressure or deflection or falls on a fumble or blows up a ball carrier at a moment that fires up the defense.  But not someone whose going to get ten sack seasons.  He's a blitzing linebacker, more so than a pass rusher.  I want guys like this on my defense, but not at great cost.  Third round is probably their natural ceiling when everything goes right for them.  We overdrafted Anderson by a bit.  If you look at the Ravens defense, they get a lot of these overachieving tough guy grinders mostly through mid round investment.  That's the paradigm to use to assess the value of guys like Jennings.

There are going to be better players and prospects than him throughout days one and two.

Archived