Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2019 Comprehensive Draft Thread

Going Commando

14 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Give me Christian Wilkins at 15 and David Montgomery at 46 and I'll be a happy man.

So BPA is definitely one way to build a team, but I'm surprised you'd want to address possibly our two strongest positions (with or without AP) with our first two picks.

Not saying I am against the idea of Wilkins or a beast DL in the 1st. I don't think you can ever have too many studs in the trenches, but the Montgomery pick would be puzzling to say the least.

8 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

I just don't think Wilson's very good.  Not an instinctive player which is death for a stack linebacker.  Not big.  Not particularly fast.  Not productive.  To me it's night and day how much better Devin White and Tevon Coney are. 

Just bringing some FO politics-gossip into this -- according to beat guys Bruce has likely been selling Dan that this team is as good as Dallas-Philly.  With Dallas in particular, the glaring differences is their MLB crew versus ours.  I know Deon Hamilton came on strong at the end, but some like Keim say they have concerns about his size, and is the dude dominant?  My point is I can see them fall in love with Devin White especially in pairing him with Foster.  White is a big dude too who can play Mike to Foster's Mo.   High character dude, leader who they may think can keep Foster on the straight and narrow. 

I wouldn't be surprised if they have a man crush behind the scenes on that dude and see him as the missing ingredient.

I think the big wild cards here is how often do you get all these pass rushers in one draft?  At their pick maybe:  Polite, Burns, Sweat.   

And also the desperation at QB.  My gut at the moment at Qb is they skip the first tier and delve into the next tier, Rypien (I don't see any magic with him but haven't watched him much), Finley (who I'd hate), etc.    Grier is mentioned a lot as a 2nd-3rd rounder but i am guessing if he has a good senior bowl he creeps into the first round or high 2nd. 

It's early but trying to land on some consensus from what am reading as for who is going before our pick, looks now to me this way:

QB

Haskins

Lock

Jones

Yeah it might seem a reach to go Lock and Jones this early for QB but you got a confluence of needy QB teams picking then, who will lose these guys if they wait until the 2nd

Edge

Bosa

J. Allen

Clelin (as I said he's all over the map now in mocks but maybe last night cements him in top 10)

DT

Oliver

Q. Williams 

OL

J. Williams

G. Little or Cajuste or Taylor

O line is a position that teams tend to reach for. Outside of J. Williams don't know which other guy emerges but I think one will, and have seen all three top 14 in different mocks.

CB

Murphy

G. Williams or D. Baker

My thought is 2 corners go top 14, which 2 I am not sure.  But corner usually goes early. 

MLB

Devin White -- some have him top 14 some don't

Safety

Depending on the mock I've seen D. Thompson there and some really dig I notice Nasir Adderley.  But I'd guess no one goes top 14 at the moment. 

WR:

I see DK Metcalf on occasion in the top 14 but he's mostly later than that.  

RB

No one.

Not saying the mock drafters know that much but at least some of them claim their picks are all source driven especially Albert Breer so those are the guys right now with some that are getting the buzz among the people they talk to.  Granted the senior bowl, combine tends to be game changers and then all of this will be reshuffled. 

If he keeps like this, we almost for sure have a shot at a highly regarded pass rusher like Polite or Burns.  There is a shot Devin White falls or another prospect that most consider top 10.   I'd think we want Kyler Murray to jump into this draft, I'd bet he goes top 14 if he does.  Miami, Jax, Denver, NY Giants all seem clamoring for a QB.  That I think brings Lock, Jones, Haskins in the top 14. 

But what for team #4 needing?  I read the South Florida sports pages all the time, if there is anything to them the Dolphins are desperate to find a young up and comer QB.   They like the Redskins are a pretty boring team as for having fan draws -- tough for me to see them passing on Murray if he's sitting there at their pick -- heck they might even go for the next highly rated QB on their board anyway whether its Grier or whomever.

13 minutes ago, EasternNCbywayofNOVA said:

Scratch Deionte Thompson off my first round wish list and put me down for pulling a Ditka trade in 2021 for Sunshine!

Outside of our trade for RG3 where we did give up a 1st 2 drafts away ... I feel like it's kind of rare.

That being said, based on "draft value charts" a 2021 1st round pick would be equal to a 3rd rounder this year. Teams aren't going to part with draft capital like that just to move up for some willy-nilly linebacker or CB. Maybe a QB.

But if we are sitting at #15 and someone like Lock or Jones is sitting there, I wouldn't be opposed to answering the phone from, say, the Jaguars and take their 2nd, 3rd, and a 2021 1st round pick. Now Jacksonville is a good team on paper and if they get a competent QB, I would expect that 2021 pick to be somewhere in the latter half of the draft. But it would be a trade that I would be interested in entertaining even if the trade value chart gives us an "L" in essentially giving up #15 for an early 2, 3 and another "3rd" in value

Using FanSpeak Super Trade Down:

2: Marquise Brown, WR Oklahoma

3: Austin Bryant, EDGE Clemson

3: Beau Benschawel, G Wisconsin

3: Trevon Diggs, CB Alabama

3: Parris Campbell, WR Ohio State

3: Dawson Knox, TE Ole Miss

5: Gardner Minshew, QB Washington State

5: Kendall Joseph, ILB Clemson

5: Tanner Muse, S Clemson

Probably not even worth posting, but it was fun to do

1 hour ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Give me Christian Wilkins at 15 and David Montgomery at 46 and I'll be a happy man.

If Wilkins tests at the Combine as well as he played he isn't going to be available anywhere close to the 15 pick. But yes if he somehow drops to 15 it will be tough to pass even though the middle of the DL is the strength of the team.  I realize that the best three DL played too many snaps this last season but I'm expecting Settle and Brantley to take a bigger role next year to keep Ionnidis, Payne and Allen fresh.  How would you handle this embarrassment of riches?  I would want Wilkins, Payne and Allen on the field together at least 50% of the time and two together at all times.  So, how do you keep Ionnidis, Settle and Brantley in the mix?  Lots of 4 man fronts without one long fast DE?  Of course, there's always the nightmare alternative:  Skins pass and take a WR who never winds up being productive.  Wilkins establishes himself as a perennial All-Pro and we kick ourselves for the next ten years.  Maybe the Skins would just have to plan for a future of trading away some DL assets before they walk for the big payday (or take the compensatory pick).   

1 hour ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

So BPA is definitely one way to build a team, but I'm surprised you'd want to address possibly our two strongest positions (with or without AP) with our first two picks.

Not saying I am against the idea of Wilkins or a beast DL in the 1st. I don't think you can ever have too many studs in the trenches, but the Montgomery pick would be puzzling to say the least.

Why do you think we're strong at RB?

That's not what would factor in my decision to draft Montgomery in the second though.  It would be the extreme value of the pick.

5 minutes ago, PlayAction said:

If Wilkins tests at the Combine as well as he played he isn't going to be available anywhere close to the 15 pick. But yes if he somehow drops to 15 it will be tough to pass even though the middle of the DL is the strength of the team.  I realize that the best three DL played too many snaps this last season but I'm expecting Settle and Brantley to take a bigger role next year to keep Ionnidis, Payne and Allen fresh.  How would you handle this embarrassment of riches?  I would want Wilkins, Payne and Allen on the field together at least 50% of the time and two together at all times.  So, how do you keep Ionnidis, Settle and Brantley in the mix?  Lots of 4 man fronts without one long fast DE?  Of course, there's always the nightmare alternative:  Skins pass and take a WR who never winds up being productive.  Wilkins establishes himself as a perennial All-Pro and we kick ourselves for the next ten years.  Maybe the Skins would just have to plan for a future of trading away some DL assets before they walk for the big payday (or take the compensatory pick).    

He'll be there in the teens.  It's his natural range, like it was for Payne and Allen.  He's not a top ten guy in a class that's this stacked in DL and CB talent at the top.

I would start Wilkins at three technique, move him inside to one technique on third and longs, and play him at five technique when Allen sits.  He can probably play six too in some situations.  He's got some edge speed.  Ioannidis is a rotation body that can play any spot.  I'm not worried about finding reps for Brantley or Settle.  If they're good, they'll eventually find their way onto the field.  You need at least five good DLs to run a dominant line.  I'm looking at the Eagles and that's their level of depth plus they have the two edge guys in Graham and Long.

I was worried about the DT position being too cost prohibitive to build high end depth with yesterday, but I looked at the cap numbers for the position and the money tapers off really fast.  It's actually one of the cheapest positions to stack up talent.  https://overthecap.com/position/interior-defensive-line/

You could keep three DLs in the 10-12 million range and get good depth guys for 2-4 million and lay the foundation for a championship caliber defense.

14 hours ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Christian Wilkins is the Fletcher Cox of that team.  Strong BPA candidate for us at 15.  I want him in our building.  The leader of a legendary class of college football players.

He was high on my list last year and surprisingly went back.  Guess it worked out ok for him. 

5 hours ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

They’re forgetting we forgo our 6th for picking Adonis Alexander in the supplemental —- a pick btw many are forgetting and not factoring into the equation. 

Even at his Alexander’s low end draft projection should he have played at Tech this year of a 3rd rounder ... if you told me Skins would have a 1, 2, 3, 3, 3 and use one of those 3’s on a big CB from VT this year I would be fine with that addition and say we didn’t need to address it again (assuming Norman is back).

lets not forget that going into the off-season. He didn’t play much but that was never the goal. 

@Skinsinparadise per the OTC article yesterday, they’re projecting we get a 7th for Niles. But since Comps are capped at a total of 32, the other 7th comp the skins could have gotten falls around 36/37 so we wouldn’t get that one awarded. 

The 6th is for Ryan Grant I believe.  

3 - Cousins

5 - Long

5 - Murphy 

6 - Grant

7 - Paul

7 - Compton

Long’s 5th is cancelled out by the signing of Paul Richardson and Compton’s 7th comp is valued below the cut off of 32

While the cut off may be true, each team can have a max of 4 picks each year.  So we wouldn't get a 5th either way.

https://overthecap.com/compensatory-draft-picks-cancellation-chart/

To add clarity to how the compensatory draft pick formula works, this page will contain a list of all Compensatory Free Agents lost and gained by each team, and illustrate which players are paired together for cancellation. Players that are projected to be eligible to earn their former team a compensatory pick are highlighted in their former team’s colors. Please note that this chart does not include potential “net-value” compensatory picks for teams that lose and gain an equal amount of CFAs, nor does it account for compensatory picks that may not be awarded due to falling below the 32-pick limit or exceeding the maximum of four per team.

https://overthecap.com/the-basics-and-methodology-of-projecting-the-nfls-compensatory-draft-picks/

Compensatory Pick Limits

There are two key restrictions that may limit the number of compensatory picks a team may receive:

• There is a strict limit of 32 compensatory picks that are awarded every year.  If the formula initially awards more than 32 compensatory picks, all picks ranked 33rd and below are not awarded, although the league will still recognize that those picks would have otherwise been eligible for compensation.  (There has only been one exception to this: as noted in the Special Cases below a 33rd comp pick was collectively bargained upon for 2016.)
  • A team may not be awarded any more than four compensatory picks in one year.  If the formula initially awards a team more than four, the lowest of the picks over the per-team limit of four are not awarded, although the league will still recognize that those picks would have otherwise been eligible for compensation.

@stevemcqueen1

On top of that, since we can pick up the rookie options on Allen and Payne (and then Wilkins, if we went that route), you’re looking at:

Ioannidis - FA after 2019

Allen - FA after 2021

Payne - FA after 2022

Wilkins - FA after 2023

That’s plenty of time to sort things out, and injuries, trades, other guys stepping up, etc will play into it.  

I'm a huge proponent of BPA and by no means would I be upset with another DL like Wilkins, especially after watching him last night. That being said, I think this defense could really use some more speed. I think an edge/ILB/CB if rated similarly would benefit us much more.

DL don't mean squat if our ILB plays soft and leaves guys running the middle of the field. All defenses need to do is keep an extra blocker back there, send two receivers on deep routes and the middle is always open for a 6-8 yard gain.

Draft Khalil Hodge or TJ Edwards in the third if they're around.

I am most intrigued by who will be this years Shaun Dion-Hamilton. I know he’s not a pencilled in stud / starter by any means. But I am curious to learn about the Round 4-6 guys. The Montae Nicholson’s. Guys who will impact our roster if we draft them that might not be splashy Day1/2 guys. Those are the guys I get most excited to read and scour the net for

10 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Did Christian Miller even play?  I saw him come out for the coin toss but otherwise thought he was on the bench because of hamstring issues.  I haven't studied Christian for draft purposes but I've matched most of Alabama's games this year including 2 in person, Christian always seems to be making plays for what its worth.   He doesn't look like though a super athlete with bend and is more of a try hard guy so the new Ryan Anderson?

I really want to dig Mack Wilson, coverage MLB, who blitzes and does it all but he seems to overrun plays and is out of position too much -- draft geeks love him though I notice.  Ditto Deionte Thompson who had horrendous game last night but have seen some good games from him this season.  

I want Alabama's receivers in 2020, especially Jeudy and to a lesser extent Ruggs.  I still like Tua even though yesterday wasn't his best game.  The prizes from yesterday clearly were Lawrence, assume top prize by a mile in 2021 and his acrobatic receiver Ross.  Etienne looks like a stud, too.

Clelin Ferrell who I haven't really studied much, played well when I paid attention to him.  I noticed he's all over the map in mocks right now -- top 10 at times, top 20 other times.  

With the way things typically go, we will be out of the range of all of these guys with our 8-8 runs.  Giants seem to have the gift at crashing at the right times so they end up with Lawrence and Jeudy and dominate this division for years after that. 😥  

Gil Brandt, only a year behind me, more impressive than most.

Watch every offensive snap for Bama v Clemson from 2017, Clelin was the best player on the field as a rs freshman, you’ll fall in love, or so I imagine, I did. 

2 hours ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

I am most intrigued by who will be this years Shaun Dion-Hamilton. I know he’s not a pencilled in stud / starter by any means. But I am curious to learn about the Round 4-6 guys. The Montae Nicholson’s. Guys who will impact our roster if we draft them that might not be splashy Day1/2 guys. Those are the guys I get most excited to read and scour the net for 

Backbone guys who give you extra value.  Tend to have the best success at hitting on these guys at between the hash positions like safety, LB, guard, tight end, DT, and center.  Also the positions that establish the culture of toughness for your team.

I would seriously consider trading our #1 this year and moving it to next year + get an additional pick 2nd or 3rd round...whatever you can get. 

Stockpile picks and do the same again next year, till you can amasse a few 1st round picks in a heavy draft class.

It would also, help us tank for the next few years, thus giving us a higher pick with more valuable leverage. 

If elite talent is there at 15, then draft him otherwise I would think future.

Archived