Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2019 Comprehensive Draft Thread

Going Commando

3 minutes ago, PartyPosse said:

Most coaches want their guy or at least someone that they feel comfortable running their scheme. By doing that we are already limiting an already limited collection of possibilities. Besides, I would imagine it would be more enticing to a coach to have the opportunity to literally hand-pick their own guy.

Yeh, but they aren't necessarily guaranteed a chance and picking that guy. Considering the success rates of QB, I think most coaches would settle for any QB that looks like they are going to be a decent NFL QB. Also, i really hope the next head coach isn't a strict system guy that HAS to have the QB that fits his. if you get a good QB, you hire an OC that fits. Just my two cents.

Examples being Goff/McCvay and Trubisky/Nagy...This year will be Mayfield and Darnold...    

43 minutes ago, PartyPosse said:

Most coaches want their guy or at least someone that they feel comfortable running their scheme. By doing that we are already limiting an already limited collection of possibilities. Besides, I would imagine it would be more enticing to a coach to have the opportunity to literally hand-pick their own guy.

If a new coach is stuck with a guy they don’t think fits their system, or they dont’t think they can work with... yeah, that’s a problem.   

Its a bit of double edged sword IMO, because if you come to coach a team with a promising qb:

1) you could be run out of town if you don’t utilize them well

Or

2) you have more leeway because you didn’t get to pick ‘your guy’

Somewhat similar to a new GM coming in.  If they keep Gruden, surely they’re given more rope and allowed to pick a different coach next year.  However, if the team does significantly worse under the new GM (and same coach)... well, that’s a risk.

Good news for either a new coach or a new GM - the bar isn’t very high and it would look bad if they aren’t given at least a few years to work things out (assuming it’s not 3 years of really poor records and embarrassments).  

Man, I’m really getting away from the draft talk here... apologies.  

1 hour ago, dballer said:

Yeh, but they aren't necessarily guaranteed a chance and picking that guy. Considering the success rates of QB, I think most coaches would settle for any QB that looks like they are going to be a decent NFL QB. Also, i really hope the next head coach isn't a strict system guy that HAS to have the QB that fits his. if you get a good QB, you hire an OC that fits. Just my two cents.

Examples being Goff/McCvay and Trubisky/Nagy...This year will be Mayfield and Darnold...    

It's not necessarily a system QB but more the idea of a QB whose style is best utilized in specific offenses. Mahomes wouldn't really be maxed if KC was a  power running style of offense. 

6 minutes ago, PartyPosse said:

It's not necessarily a system QB but more the idea of a QB whose style is best utilized in specific offenses. Mahomes wouldn't really be maxed if KC was a  power running style of offense. 

But...what coach looks at Mahomes and says, nah I can't use that guy...definitely a coach i don't want lol

And I am not necessarily saying we should draft a QB, but if the talent department looks at one, thinks he is worthy of the pick, I wouldn't be happy if they passed on him because of the question of Jay's future. A bird in hand is worth more than two in the bush.  

6 hours ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

He's a shot in the dark one-year wonder. I think he has some real potential in the NFL. I'm sure someone will trade into the Top 5 to get ahead of the Giants to take him. If not the Giants likely get him at #6. But to go from #15 to, say, #2 to draft him ... would require our 2nd and 3rd, and probably a 1st round pick next year.

Now, ask the Chiefs or Bears or Texas  if they regret giving up the picks they did to move up in the  2017 draft to get Trubisky, Mahomes or Watson. All are in the playoffs as a result and aren't "missing" that 2018 1st round pick they didn't have. If you're confident that's who Haskins is, then that's great. Rookie QB contracts allow you to build up the rest of the team, too. And Skins def. have a nice base layer of young talent on the defense. But personally, I would rather invest in the OL and defense for one more draft, and take a shot at the position in 2020 when there are likely some more options to be had. I also think if you "roll with it" in 2019 you also give yourself another year to deal with Smith's contract and not waste a year of a QB on a rookie deal with a hamstrung salary cap situation.

It's also a deep draft for developmental guys, which I would argue we need regardless of whether we expect them to be our 2019 starter or long-term depth at the position. So this might be a draft where you go QB in the 3rd or 4th to be your QB2 or QB3 (depending on Smith) with the upside to start and excite the fanbase if the season totally craps out.

Shot in the dark. One year wonder. Whatever you want to call him the guy has incredible medium range accuracy. And he can read a defense. Something you dont usually see with rookie QB's. Although they have gotten better with that in college. 

That medium range accuracy is EXACTLY what Jay wants in his system. He likes to push the ball to medium depth routes. For me it comes down to if you believe in Jay and he is gonna be here than Haskins a perfect fit for him. Now they still have to do the interviews and everything else. 

5 hours ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

Yep, for this reason I think it's most likely we go with the mid-round developmental type. Someone the fan-base can get excited about or at least tune in to watch if the season falls apart. But not someone you invest so much draft capital in that you have to start him from Day 1. I would much rather do that, and hope that player is decent, than break the draft capital bank to get a guy who a new coaching staff in 2020 (potentially) will want to have their choice of picking.

I think some of it depends on how Alex Smith is doing near draft time. If he's made good strides in his recovery and there's a consensus that he'll be able to fully recover and play football again then I could see them potentially going with a mid round QB to develop. However, if things aren't going that well and there are questions as to whether he'll actually be able to play again in general, let alone in 2019, then I see it more likely that they'll go QB early. Though I suppose they could just decide to roll with Colt for a year and get a QB in the likely QB-rich 2020 draft. 

On 1/3/2019 at 11:21 AM, stevemcqueen1 said:

We can't really know what Lock's character is like from where we sit.  I made this mistake with Cam Newton in 2011 and ended up being very wrong about him.  He's a D-Bag, but it didn't stop him from being an MVP and star QB in the NFL.  And TBH, many successful QBs who are great competitors and leaders are D-Bags.  Brett Favre comes to mind.  So do Brady and Roethlisberger.  Aaron Rodgers is a diva.  More recently, Baker Mayfield and Josh Allen are no princes.

It's nice when you get an aw shucks do-gooder leader of men like Brees/Luck/Wentz/Wilson/Peyton.  But it's hardly necessary to be a successful leader and NFL QB.  If you work hard and play tough and compete and present yourself like a pro, a locker room will follow you.  You don't even have to freaking play well, as evidenced by the long careers of Eli Manning and Alex Smith.

Been busy, but wanted to respond to this.

Cam is a prick. I live in Charlotte, about a mile away from him, and have done work on his two condos. (Yes, he owns two condos in the premiere uptown building that one Michael Jordan also owns a condo.) I’ve met him, and know plenty of people that know, and have worked with him, and he is a guy who is nice to the people that can further him and his brand. Not so much the rest of us. Cam is, and always will be, about his brand first.

The difference between Cam, and the other guys you mentioned, Brady, Favre, Rodgers, Big Ben, is, they have won Super Bowls. Cam has been to one, and he **** the bed, best epitomized by him not even trying to dive for a fumble. The other guys are a-holes, but more because they will do anything to win. They wear their hearts on their sleeve. They are passionate about winning, and expect their teammates/coaches to have that same passion. Sometimes that rubs people the wrong way. But, make no mistake, they are leaders. Cam is not. Luke Keuchley is the leader of the Panthers, period, and he is as passionate as they come, Just a bit more diplomatic about it than the aforementioned QBs.

I, too, was not big on Cam because of character concerns, and while he’s been more successful than I had imagined, I’m not sure he’s near what he could be. Cam, IMO, is the most phisically gifted player to ever play the QB position in the NFL. I’d rate Elway a distant second. But, Cam has yet to show the leadership nous of a championship QB, as I see it. Maybe one day he’ll get it, or play for a coach that demands more from him, but I ain’t holding my breath.

13 hours ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

Current Walter Football mock draft is interesting. Not saying I’d necessarily go this route but if they did, I think it would reinvigorate the fan base. 

R1: A.J. Brown, WR Ole Miss

R2: Jarrett Stidham, QB Auburn

R3: Garrett Bradberry, C N.C. State

You’d need to divert your FA resources to solve EDGE, slot WR and secondary but the offense would be nicely set up for a few years if everyone developed.

12 hours ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

I think they're overrating both Brown and Stidham.  Brown is probably a second round pick IMO.  And I think Stidham is going to fall.

Agreed, these mocks, particular not from the big names, always seem to overrate skill position players (QBs, RBs, and WRs)

11 hours ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

This is an odd draft for QB. Outside of Haskins, any of the other 6-7 guys could sneak into the 1st round with good off-season workouts/tests/bowl games. If you're the Redskins and you want to address QB this off-season, this is actually a decent year for it. If we wanted to stay at 15, we'd likely have our choice of anyone in that '2nd tier' ... and would likely even have a shot at some of them with our 2nd round pick. After doing some reading up on them, here's where I think it stands. This is also assuming Kyler Murray commits to football over baseball.

Top 10:

1. Dwayne Haskins, QB Ohio State

Mid-1st to Late 1st:

2. Daniel Jones, QB Duke

3. Kyler Murray, QB Oklahoma

4. Drew Lock, QB Mizzou

Late 1st-2nd Round:

5. Will Grier, QB WVU

6. Jarret Stidham, QB Auburn

3rd-5th Round developmental guys:

7. Ryan Finley, QB NC State

8. Gardner Minshew, QB Wash. State

9. Brett Rypien, QB Boise

10. Clayton Thorson, QB Northwestern

11. Jake Bentley, QB South Carolina

12. Trace McSorley, QB Penn State

This seems like an absolute best case scenario for most of these guys. I'm not even sure 12 QBs get drafted at all, let alone 6 near the first round. This is a weak class. And sure, teams tend to overdraft QBs. But in a strong class, only 13 QBs got drafted in 2018 and only 10 in 2017. Back in 2015 it was only 7. And that's including some usual 7th round flyers

14 hours ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

He's a shot in the dark one-year wonder. I think he has some real potential in the NFL. I'm sure someone will trade into the Top 5 to get ahead of the Giants to take him. If not the Giants likely get him at #6. But to go from #15 to, say, #2 to draft him ... would require our 2nd and 3rd, and probably a 1st round pick next year.

Now, ask the Chiefs or Bears or Texas  if they regret giving up the picks they did to move up in the  2017 draft to get Trubisky, Mahomes or Watson. All are in the playoffs as a result and aren't "missing" that 2018 1st round pick they didn't have. If you're confident that's who Haskins is, then that's great. Rookie QB contracts allow you to build up the rest of the team, too. And Skins def. have a nice base layer of young talent on the defense. But personally, I would rather invest in the OL and defense for one more draft, and take a shot at the position in 2020 when there are likely some more options to be had. I also think if you "roll with it" in 2019 you also give yourself another year to deal with Smith's contract and not waste a year of a QB on a rookie deal with a hamstrung salary cap situation.

It's also a deep draft for developmental guys, which I would argue we need regardless of whether we expect them to be our 2019 starter or long-term depth at the position. So this might be a draft where you go QB in the 3rd or 4th to be your QB2 or QB3 (depending on Smith) with the upside to start and excite the fanbase if the season totally craps out.

Great examples as all three teams had better rosters than the Redskins did when they traded up. Also the Bears picked Roquan Smith in the first round in 2018. 

8 hours ago, Berggy9598 said:

Great examples as all three teams had better rosters than the Redskins did when they traded up. Also the Bears picked Roquan Smith in the first round in 2018. 

I don’t think the Redskins have a bad roster by any means. When they had a QB who was competent this year they were 6-3. They need more speed on offense and to stay healthy but otherwise I think the roster is fine. The season fell apart when Smith went down, Scherff went down and Cooper went down. AP hit some tired spells and we were without Richardson, Crowder and thompson. The offense became inept and useless and the defense didn’t have the horses to hold them in games. Although aside from NYG game the defense held them in some games more than I’d have expected 

The defense plays well well when the offense controls the ball. The last 2 years we’ve seen what happens when that doesn’t take place. Yes we need to shore up a couple spots there, but it’s far from a bad roster. Go another draft, shore up LG and get a YAC speed WR and focus on some depth on defense and I think you go into 2020 with a pretty solid roster ... and if you choose to trade up then you’ll be okay. 

Also, after 2020 you can drop smith’s contract and Norman is off the books. You’ll have plenty of cap to spend in 2021 and beyond 

3 hours ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

I don’t think the Redskins have a bad roster by any means. When they had a QB who was competent this year they were 6-3. They need more speed on offense and to stay healthy but otherwise I think the roster is fine. 

The defense plays well well when the offense controls the ball. The last 2 years we’ve seen what happens when that doesn’t take place. Yes we need to shore up a couple spots there, but it’s far from a bad roster. Go another draft, shore up LG and get a YAC speed WR and focus on some depth on defense and I think you go into 2020 with a pretty solid roster ... and if you choose to trade up then you’ll be okay. 

I was essentially just thinking the same thing.  

Setting aside the health issues, I see two issues with the roster building going forward.  

1) we lack blue chip players, so moving up for a qb (whether this year or next) is an issue because you’re giving up picks that might land you those blue chip types.  

2) one reason we lack blue chip players is that (IMO) more recently we’ve tended to draft ‘safer’ types - higher floor, but lower ceiling guys.  Anderson, Payne, Smith, Murphy, Perine, Grant, etc.  (scouting, decision making, mid round picks, and trading picks play into this too of course).  No, I’m not 100% on that, but I’d say Allen’s FA methodology lines up with that ‘strategy’.  Of course, I’m not at all certain that Allen even has a real strategy.  

So, while yes, we could add a G and receiver in the draft, a safety via FA and field a decent roster... we’re left with either trading up for a qb that can (hopefully) overcome the mediocre roster, or focusing on adding studs to the roster and having a much tougher time finding a franchise type of qb.   

Tied into this of course is if Allen is looking at job security first and foremost, and therefore (continues?) targeting the high floor guys (some speculation on my part), the situation is even tougher.  

Frankly, I can’t see Allen willing to roll with a poor qb situation this year (which likely leads to a higher draft pick next year).  So unless Smith makes great strides soon, I’d almost bet they draft a qb early.  My one caveat is if a “GM” is hired and Allen doesn’t feel the same pressure to keep his job.  This could be a bit of a win win situation for fans - Allen isn’t GM, and the new guy could be willing to wait on a qb and go after Tua (or whoever) next year.  Unless the new guy is afraid of being scapegoated...

@stevemcqueen1 just wanted to say thanks for the prospect breakdowns.  I’d far prefer to fill this thread with that than endless roster speculation, etc that I’ve been pushing.  Hopefully I’ll start watching some film soon and contribute (my lackluster opinions) on that end.  

Josh Allen, LB/DE, Kentucky, Senior - 7.0

Strengths
- King sized edge defender.  Very tall with very long arms.
- Carries 260 very well.  Lean, tapered build with good bulk in his lower half.
- Room to grow.  Can probably play in the 270s without sacrificing speed when he gets into an NFL strength program.
- Gifted athlete at the position.  Smooth, coordinated runner who glides around the field.
- Very fast straight line speed.
- Lateral quickness and agility is elite for his size.
- Good leaper with good hand-eye-foot coordination.  Basketball athlete.
- Fluid hips.
- Good balance.
- Instinctive pass rusher.  Has the gift for fooling blocks and exploiting false steps.  One of the best speed guys off the edge in this year's class.  Wins several times a game with pure speed.  Sets up outside rushes and can effortlessly adjust his track with inside and outside jab steps.
- Good strength in his base to keep his balance and inertia through contact.
- Quick, efficient hands to shuck grabby tackles as he sets up to turn the corner and swipe at the ball in the QB's hands.  Forces a ton of fumbles from the blindside.
- Ability and instincts in coverage are extremely rare for a 6'5 defensive end.
- Excels as a click and close spot dropper in the flats and curls.  Reads and reacts very well.
- Fast enough to disguise his zones with a fake blitz and still reach his area.
- Fast enough to run with tight ends and slot receivers downfield.  Makes plays as the underneath coverage in bracket concepts 25+ yards downfield.
- Can high point and make plays on the ball.  Background as a WR and basketball player shows.
- Good edge defender against the run.  Lines up between the five and seven techniques and spends quite a bit of time in the stack.
- Ideal edge defender for playing force.  When on the line, uses his length and base strength to leverage his gap and keep things inside.
- Off the line, tight ends and tackles can't beat him to the edge.
- Good runner in pursuit.
- Eyes up defender with good play recognition skills.  Finds the football.
- On field leader who is constantly marshaling his guys and getting into the middle of the action.

Weaknesses
- Raw pass rusher who doesn't play the role full time.  Converted to defense late in his high school career.  Much better OLB prospect than DE prospect.  
- Wins off instincts and athleticsm, but doesn't have a repertoire of counters and power rushes.
- Not a twitchy athlete.
- Upperbody power is underdeveloped.
- Lacks the kind of hip, knee, and ankle flexibility that shorter, more compact edge athletes (Mack/Matthews/Miller) possess.
- Open field and pursuit tackling form leaves much to be desired.  Too often fails bring his arms when he arrives.
- Tough player, but not much of a striker at all.  Isn't going to scare any ball carriers.
- Could use some tuning on that backpedal and bail technique, but he gets the job done in single coverage better than any other top end edge player in the class.

Allen is the best all around edge player in this year's class, and it stems from his unique combination of speed, agility, size, length, and instincts.  The game comes easily and naturally to some players.  Allen is one them.  He doesn't have many limitations--his weaknesses are things he can work on and develop.  Making the late switch to defense in high school and playing for a traditional cupcake program in Kentucky, he did not get the same kind of teaching and training that the power school prospects got.  He's dominating off of natural talent and read and react ability.  He's got a lot of upside to develop his strength and pass rush repertoire at the next level.

I like his intangibles.  He is so much more than the sum of his parts.  His confidence is infectious and he plays with an obvious and refreshing esprit de corps and joy for the game.  He was the leader of a plucky and badass defense that pushed his program to their best season in generations.  He's a kid that you build programs with.

I think that he offers a substantially better fit for teams running a 3-4 base, but he would not be wasted in a 4-3 as either a RE or SAM OLB.  He is a prototype 3-4 ROLB who can put a ton of pressure on LTs and TEs as well as cover receivers out of the backfield and run with tight ends.

I love him as a fit for us.  He checks all of our boxes and I would have trouble deciding whether to put him or Oliver behind Haskins at #2 on our board.  Ultimately, I think I would go with Allen over Oliver because he's a cleaner fit and seems more coachable.

My Big Board's top five right now is:

1 - Dwayne Haskins - 7.0

2a - Josh Allen - 7.0

2b - Ed Oliver - 7.0

4 - Quinnen Williams - 6.9

5 - Byron Murphy - 6.8

And I think that's probably going to stay pretty steady unless one of the OLs or DBs I haven't graded yet blows me away.  I don't see any other DL, LB, or offensive skill player shaking that order up.

Looks iike Daniel Jones is gonna slip out of top 10 and we'll at or near his projected draft range. If we have to move up, may not cost arm and a leg. 

I think going QB if possible would be a must. I think the kid could translate to NFL. FWIW, I doubt Haskins makes it out of top 10 but he is insane IMO.

I would give up an arm and a leg for Haskins

51 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

My Big Board's top five right now is:

1 - Dwayne Haskins - 7.0

2a - Josh Allen - 7.0

2b - Ed Oliver - 7.0

4 - Quinnen Williams - 6.9

5 - Byron Murphy - 6.8

And I think that's probably going to stay pretty steady unless one of the OLs or DBs I haven't graded yet blows me away.  I don't see any other DL, LB, or offensive skill player shaking that order up.

No Bosa? 

I think it would be smart to start building the team before we draft our next franchise signal caller. We need a stinker of a year for next years QB class. Our chances decrease drastically at 15 to draft a franchise QB, if they were a good to great prospect they wouldnt be available at 15. I'm hoping we dont reach, but we might and I think it will backfire.

10 minutes ago, Bonez3 said:

Looks iike Daniel Jones is gonna slip out of top 10 and we'll at or near his projected draft range. If we have to move up, may not cost arm and a leg. 

I think going QB if possible would be a must. I think the kid could translate to NFL. FWIW, I doubt Haskins makes it out of top 10 but he is insane IMO.

Possibly. Lot of time before draft for QBs to rise up the board. Giants or Jags will get Haskins. Likely by trading up cause I doubt someone doesn’t trade up. Whoever of the Giants or Jags doesn’t get Haskins will likely reach for Jones, Grier or Lock, whoever of those 3 emerges as the #2. Then Denver could take a 3rd QB. 

I remember 2017 around this time there was no clear cut QB1. Some thought Watson could go Top 3 and I distinctly remember running on a treadmill some time in february and watching one of the first draft shows and they were debating whether or not Trubisky could be a 1st rounder.

trubisky went 3, Mahomes 10 and Watson 15 I think. And that was a “weak” class like this year. 

Dont be surprised if Haskins-Lock-Jones all go top 12 to Giants Jags and broncos 

3 minutes ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

Possibly. Lot of time before draft for QBs to rise up the board. Giants or Jags will get Haskins. Likely by trading up cause I doubt someone doesn’t trade up. Whoever of the Giants or Jags doesn’t get Haskins will likely reach for Jones, Grier or Lock, whoever of those 3 emerges as the #2. Then Denver could take a 3rd QB. 

I remember 2017 around this time there was no clear cut QB1. Some thought Watson could go Top 3 and I distinctly remember running on a treadmill some time in february and watching one of the first draft shows and they were debating whether or not Trubisky could be a 1st rounder.

trubisky went 3, Mahomes 10 and Watson 15 I think. And that was a “weak” class like this year. 

Dont be surprised if Haskins-Lock-Jones all go top 12 to Giants Jags and broncos 

I agree, the draft propaganda hasn't even started. No way Haskins gets past #2 once the media madness starts. I personally would throw my hat in the ring for Haskins at 2

1 hour ago, Bonez3 said:

Personally, for me, Daniel Jones is fool’s gold. I live in Charlotte, and have gotten to see a lot of him. He’s a good, not exceptional athlete, and just an okay passer. I think he is getting graded higher this year, because of the dearth of high end talent at the position. I think he’s a third round talent in a normal year. I also think Lock has a far higher ceiling, and light years better arm talent.

I realize that QBs get drafted far higher because of the demand at the position, but, IMHO, Haskins is the only first round talent in this draft with Herbert going back to school. I rate Lock as a second rounder, and Jones and Grier as third round talents. I really hope the Skins don’t reach for one of these guys.

13 minutes ago, Long n Left said:

Personally, for me, Daniel Jones is fool’s gold. I live in Charlotte, and have gotten to see a lot of him. He’s a good, not exceptional athlete, and just an okay passer. I think he is getting graded higher this year, because of the dearth of high end talent at the position. I think he’s a third round talent in a normal year. I also think Lock has a far higher ceiling, and light years better arm talent.

I realize that QBs get drafted far higher because of the demand at the position, but, IMHO, Haskins is the only first round talent in this draft with Herbert going back to school. I rate Lock as a second rounder, and Jones and Grier as third round talents. I really hope the Skins don’t reach for one of these guys.

This has been my concern all along.  We go QB in the 1st and it's very likely that we're getting a level of talent that isn't worth a 1st round pick.  Market dictating value once again.  2020 looks SOO much better for QBs, and with likely none (MAYBE Haskins) of these QBs being the 'missing piece' for next year, I want to use our 1st round pick on 1st round talent.  

Archived