Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2019 Comprehensive Draft Thread

Going Commando

10 hours ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

For me, this screams running game and defense.

If we can get a stud LG in there, and can have a dominant running game with Guice, AP and Thompson behind a healthy OL, a lot of the other weaknesses on the team are mitigated.

I think if the draft were today, assuming we don't re-sign Preston Smith ... I would go LG/EDGE with the first 2 picks. Build a dominant run game, and get the pass-rush solidified.

Go QB in 2020 and put him behind a stud OL and running game where he walks into a very easy situation to succeed in.

I'm not a huge fan of putting a lot of resources into oline as we already have done so; i also feel the qb makes the oline more than the opposite. However, we need to do something there because the starting oline and depth injuries have crippled the team for 2 years straight. I'd look to free agency for improvements here. 

Speed on the edge, safety, and lb should be our top concerns. 

An offensive playmaker could help our team a bit too. 

11 hours ago, clskinsfan said:

Well. Those of you that are tape watchers like me will be sad to hear that Draft Breakdown is out of business. I used their site religiously to watch film every year. What sites are you guys using to watch film?

I go on youtube and type the prospect's name in and vs. Brings up the physical games they played in with markers usually. I do it this way so I do not see highlights. I stay away from those as much as I can because it really skews what they can or can't do.

10 hours ago, nonniey said:

It's not that Allen is terrible it is just that he lacks the imagination (as do most posters judging from this thread) to build a team. Everything is in the now he seems to be unable to look past the current year/ season - which is the best way to build a team. Best option to to push for as many picks as we can get in 2020 and 2021, I'm sure that hasn't even crossed his mind.

Failing to grasp the central importance of the QB position is lacking imagination.  Ignoring this entire QB class to chase grass is greener fantasies of name recognition freshmen and sophomore QBs playing for starry programs who haven't even been evaluated yet is lacking imagination.

There is no such thing as building a foundation for your roster without a QB.  QB is the foundation.  It's what allows you to begin a window of legit competitiveness.  If you load up on other positions before securing that quarterback foundation, then you're, at best, wasting a year(s) of everyone's career.  At worst, you're entering a cycle of roster churn where talent comes in and out without ever even having the chance to win anything.

Nick Bosa, DE, Ohio State, JR - 6.7

Strengths
- Good height and length for the position.
- Broad shouldered, tapered build.  Maxes out around 265-270.  Physically ready to step onto an NFL field day one.
- Hands look huge.
- Well developed arsenal of rush moves.  Speed to power conversion is high level.
- Blazing fast first step.
- Juke step for inside rush is elite.  Excellent lateral quickness for his size.
- Well schooled, efficient hands.  Powerful punch/swipe and rip.  Doesn't waste time patty-caking with OLs.
- Dip and rip is high level.  Speed merchant with the flexibility to flatten out as he turns the edge.
- Motor as a pass rusher is relentless.  Gets a lot of second effort pressures.
- Fast and agile enough to split doubles.

Weaknesses
- Play recognition skills are poor.  Doesn't find the football.  Gets picked on with screens and playfakes.
- Undisciplined as an edge defender against the run.  Has his plan and sticks to it without having the instincts to adjust.  Instincts are surprisingly poor for someone whose dad played in the NFL.
- Gets himself sealed at the PoA.  Natural strength and tendency for rushing inside is exploitable with outside runs--you can't play force against the run well with him.  Uncomfortable anchoring the edge.  Needs to be run blitzing and playing spill.
- Functional power is a little disappointing given his size and length.  Anchor strength and bull rush are mediocre.
- Balance through contact is disappointing.  Overextends without resetting his base and spends a lot of time on the ground.
- Never played in coverage.  I have doubts about whether or not he has the instincts and hip flexibility to excel in coverage as a 3-4 OLB in the NFL.  Kind of a tightly wound downhill player like Orakpo was.
- Motor against the run is disappointing.
- Marginal collegiate production a result of injury issues and a lack of development and instincts.  Never had a season that came close to his brother's sophomore year.

Bosa is a high end edge rusher who can win with a variety of methods including speed and inside power.  His hands are almost as good as his brother's, and he's noticeably faster.  He commands a double and gives you steady edge pressure, particularly when single blocked.  His motor as a rusher is outstanding and he gets more aggressive as games wear on and Ohio State's lead grows.  He excels at a premium skill set, and he's going to get drafted high if his medical examination goes well.  He's a Clay Matthews III type of player.  Not quite as quick and flexible.  But bigger and longer.

However, he is a one trick pony and a frustrating player to watch.  He's not as strong or as instinctive and consistent as his brother is.  He's a nickel player and 4-3 RE who needs to be rushing the QB and run blitzing full time to be effective.  I do not think he has the instincts or coverage skills to play 3-4 OLB and spend time off the LoS.  He's not a do-it-all edge player and you're going to have to scheme around his limitations to play good run defense because you're going to be vulnerable to big plays on your edges like Ohio State was.  He's also not going to be productive in anything but generating edge pressure, and this is what separates him from the most valuable edge players like Mack, Miller, Watt, and Jordan.

And the elephant in the room with him is the same as it was with his brother.  They are high maintenance mercenaries with questionable passion for the game.  His brother engaged in an unusually long and contentious contract holdout that shortened his rookie season and won't play hurt.  Nick withdrew from an Ohio State team with title aspirations because of a groin injury that wasn't season ending in order to protect his draft stock.

Bottom line for me: very good pass rusher with a premium skill set that should translate to the NFL.  But not a leader or great culture guy, not more than the sum of his parts, and not necessarily a seamless fit for our defense.

My limited knowledge order of preference right now is:

Josh Allen (Won’t be available)

Daniel Jones

Devin White

Cody Ford

Hollywood

We need speed on defense (especially at linebacker.) We also need a QB. LG has been a hole for years.  No speed at our skill positions besides CT who has regressed/cannot stay healthy.

If we could somehow get Daniel Jones and then Marquise Brown in the 2nd I think you see a major upgrade on offense.  

On 1/1/2019 at 10:14 PM, Long n Left said:

I’ve heard some rumblings of this also. Diva, and self-centered were words used. This is a major alarm bell to me for an NFL QB. Character is almost as important a trait in successful QBs as arm talent, see Jeff George.

Lock can make all the throws, and is a decent athlete. He does seem to make questionable decisions/throws when pressured, or even under the threat of pressure. Not a natural slider in the pocket.

The character issue is the big red flag for me. Franchise QBs have an non quantifiable “it” factor, which is most often characterized by being a stand-up, team first guy, who teammates rally behind. From what I’ve learned, Lock does not sound like that kind of guy.

Wasn't aware of the Lock character concerns...if it's true that's also another red flag. But from a pure playing perspective I'm really not that impressed with Lock either; I see much of the same things you do. From the cutups I've watched I see a guy with a rocket launcher arm, decent athleticism, and so so accuracy. He makes some some very dumb decisions and doesn't seem to do well when pressured and also seems to feel pressure when none is there. If you watch only his highlights you'll notice that many of those throws are when he has TONS of time. There's absolutely no doubting his arm talent but I don't see much more about him that stands out. Unfortunately, guys with crazy arms tend to get the "oohs and ahhhs" and that elevates their draft stock. 

If the character concerns are legit as well then for me Lock goes from a "probably pass" to a "hard pass".

I'd take Grier over Lock. Doesn't have the same arm obviously but IMO he has that "it" factor. From a more quantifiable standpoint PFF graded Grier as the top college QB when blitzed, as well as the top graded QB at throwing a go route (so obviously you don't have to have a howitzer to do it). Grier's main downside is that he'll be 24 when he starts in the NFL.

On 1/1/2019 at 10:14 PM, Long n Left said:

The character issue is the big red flag for me. Franchise QBs have an non quantifiable “it” factor, which is most often characterized by being a stand-up, team first guy, who teammates rally behind. From what I’ve learned, Lock does not sound like that kind of guy.

We can't really know what Lock's character is like from where we sit.  I made this mistake with Cam Newton in 2011 and ended up being very wrong about him.  He's a D-Bag, but it didn't stop him from being an MVP and star QB in the NFL.  And TBH, many successful QBs who are great competitors and leaders are D-Bags.  Brett Favre comes to mind.  So do Brady and Roethlisberger.  Aaron Rodgers is a diva.  More recently, Baker Mayfield and Josh Allen are no princes.

It's nice when you get an aw shucks do-gooder leader of men like Brees/Luck/Wentz/Wilson/Peyton.  But it's hardly necessary to be a successful leader and NFL QB.  If you work hard and play tough and compete and present yourself like a pro, a locker room will follow you.  You don't even have to freaking play well, as evidenced by the long careers of Eli Manning and Alex Smith.

So, just toying around with the idea of trading up for Haskins...

Obviously you can throw the draft chart out the window (for the most part), but, I was wondering what it would take - in relation to the draft value charts - to trade up to the 4th pick.  More specifically, say we’re 750 pts shy of meeting the value after giving up the 15 spot.  What value does a 2020 1st round pick net?  

6 minutes ago, skinny21 said:

So, just toying around with the idea of trading up for Haskins...

Obviously you can throw the draft chart out the window (for the most part), but, I was wondering what it would take - in relation to the draft value charts - to trade up to the 4th pick.  More specifically, say we’re 750 pts shy of meeting the value after giving up the 15 spot.  What value does a 2020 1st round pick net?  

Hmm. I'd go the opposite haha. I would rather trade our 2019 1st rounder (#15) for a 2nd rounder and a 2020 1st round pick. Use the 2 #1 picks next year to go up and get your guy.

But to play along, I would think you'd have to give up #15, your 2nd round pick and probably your 2020 1st round pick. Because #15 is not high enough for a team to move out of the Top 5. Not when you'll likely have another team willing to give up more (NYG) to go from #8 to #4 in giving up a higher-value #2 and a 2020 1st too

8 hours ago, sportjunkie07 said:

I'm not a huge fan of putting a lot of resources into oline as we already have done so; i also feel the qb makes the oline more than the opposite. However, we need to do something there because the starting oline and depth injuries have crippled the team for 2 years straight. I'd look to free agency for improvements here. 

LT Williams- $13m per year

LG TBD - Unknown

C Roullier - $700k per year

RG Scherff - $12m per year

RT Moses - $9m per year

Between LT, RG and RT you have a ton of money locked into the OL. I banged the drum for this last year, too. But I think you have to invest an early pick in the LG position to complement the rest of the OL. 2 starters on rookie contracts with 3 starters on big-money deals is good balance. Then, when the team moves on from Trent or Moses and backfills that with a 1st or 2nd round pick in the future, you can sign that stud LG to a big deal to replace the one Trent/Moses vacates. Rinse and repeat.

Interesting news on Rueben Foster as it pertains to this draft as well. I think the word is that he could likely get a 4-6 game suspension from the league, but otherwise would be available to us for 2019 and beyond on the rookie deal.

IMO that does change the approach to ILB in the off-season. I think you go into the off-season looking to move on from Zach Brown ... I'd keep Mason Foster around for leadership and a body. And I'd look into going out and getting an ILB somewhere in the mid to later rounds of the draft. But if I am confident that Rueben is a stple at ILB for most of 2019 and beyond, I think that satisfies a TON of concerns at that position.

R. Foster, Hamilton, M. Foster, Harvey-Clemons ... not a bad group to have. Add in a 5th round pick to groom and that is not a bad spot.

Michael Phillips on Grant and Danny just said the strengths into the off-season are:

DL

OT

TE

RB

Surprised by TE, but he said Sprinkle showed really well this year and he expects Jordan Reed back.

I do think Reed needs to be replaced long-term, and maybe a mid-round pick addresses that and acts as the TE2/3 for Skins this year. But maybe it's more a 3rd-5th round pick than what I Would have expected before hearing Phillips interview.

21 minutes ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

Michael Phillips on Grant and Danny just said the strengths into the off-season are:

DL

OT

TE

RB

Surprised by TE, but he said Sprinkle showed really well this year and he expects Jordan Reed back.

I do think Reed needs to be replaced long-term, and maybe a mid-round pick addresses that and acts as the TE2/3 for Skins this year. But maybe it's more a 3rd-5th round pick than what I Would have expected before hearing Phillips interview.

I also think we need to start looking into TE in the draft, and before the late rounds. We know that Reed is essentially Mr. Glass and is simply incapable of staying healthy. Sprinkle has shown some flashes and VD plays well for his age but let's face it...dude is going to be 35 soon and he only has one year left on his contract. The Reed situation sucks because we have a bunch of cap invested in him and his contract is through 2021. I also doubt that anyone would give us much for him in a trade considering his injury history. If we could get a 2nd rounder for him I'd do it in a heartbeat, but I doubt we'd get any offers above a 3rd or 4th.

I also think that ILB could potentially go from being a weakness to being a strength if Reuben Foster doesn't get nailed by the NFL brass too bad now that the charges have been dropped. SDH flashed some serious ability when he got playing time later and we know that Foster's talent is undeniable. With those two guys manning the middle we could potentially be set for a while there. Only issue with those two is that they're both a bit on the small side.

With our DL that could give us probably the youngest and most talented front 7 in the NFL. 

Per FanSpeak simulator if we cut Foster, Brown, Norman, Vernon Davis ... we'd have $32.8 million in cap space (including $5m set aside for draft picks). Not a ton of $$. But I think it would be enough money to go get a couple premier FAs. Just a matter of whether that's another CB to replace Norman, a pass-rusher, or a Safety.

And that would, IMO, leave some holes heading into the draft. LG, WR, S, EDGE being the most likely.

Couple FA observations that will impact the draft. The Safety market appears to be deflated significantly the last few off-seasons, not to mention a pretty robust market this year.

I think we either make a big effort to re-sign Clinton-Dix since he's in-house or we go after one of the premier Safeties in the class. We have 2 young safeties in Nicholson and Apke who we've spent mid-round picks on the last couple drafts. With Everett in the fold, I think we target a top-end talent in FA, whether that's Lamarcus Joyner, Tyrann Mathieu or Clinton-Dix. I also wouldn't be surprised if we keep Norman as a veteran presence, as we have an extremely young secondary. But if he "has" to go, then I would expect the team to bring in a solid (30-32 year old) top-end veteran presence for a few years. Maybe we still use a draft pick on a CB, but with Moreau, Dunbar and Adonis Alexander as the youngsters with massive upside, I think a veteran fits better than a top young option there.

I would also push hard to re-sign Crowder and Smith. But we suck at retaining our FAs (see: they don't like chaos either --- retention major issue) ... I wouldn't be surprised if we can't get them back. We may be able to go get an Edge rusher to replace Smith, ala Dee Ford or Dante Fowler, but they'll be pricy, and I'd like to just keep our own.

48 minutes ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

Per FanSpeak simulator if we cut Foster, Brown, Norman ... we'd have $28.9 million in cap space (including $5m set aside for draft picks). Not a ton of $$. But I think it would be enough money to go get a couple premier FAs. Just a matter of whether that's another CB to replace Norman, a pass-rusher, or a Safety.

And that would, IMO, leave some holes heading into the draft. LG, WR, S, EDGE being the most likely.

Zach Brown, as of now, looks set to be the 7th highest paid ILB next year?...easy cut. Free 6 mil there as we don't need to replace. 

Foster isn't too expensive, probably worth keeping.

Norman...I am torn. We eat 6 mil, and then you theoretically pay at the very least another 4 or 5 for a starting quality CB, you're still tying up 10 or 11 in the position and probably not improving the talent level. Sure would be nice to get him to renegotiate. 

28 minutes ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

I think we either make a big effort to re-sign Clinton-Dix since he's in-house or we go after one of the premier Safeties in the class. We have 2 young safeties in Nicholson and Apke who we've spent mid-round picks on the last couple drafts. With Everett in the fold, I think we target a top-end talent in FA, whether that's Lamarcus Joyner, Tyrann Mathieu or Clinton-Dix. I also wouldn't be surprised if we keep Norman as a veteran presence, as we have an extremely young secondary. But if he "has" to go, then I would expect the team to bring in a solid (30-32 year old) top-end veteran presence for a few years. Maybe we still use a draft pick on a CB, but with Moreau, Dunbar and Adonis Alexander as the youngsters with massive upside, I think a veteran fits better than a top young option there.

Safety position is tough. I wouldn't mind drafting Thompson first round. But then you are looking at a bunch of young safeties, and who knows whats going on with Monte and how Apke will look. 

Going into the draft I feel like our first rounder should be S, WR or QB...feel like i have said that a time or two.

Seems like a lot of buzz around Cody Ford recently and could be available when we pick.  Good report by Duncan.

http://redskinscapitalconnection.com/duncans-scouting-report-cody-ford/

Cody Ford, OL, Oklahoma

Measurements

(Measurements from College Bio, Will be updated after official NFL Combine Measurements)

Height: 6’4″

Weight: 338

Effort

If you’re looking for a powerful, versatile, and high effort offensive lineman in the Draft, look no further than Cody Ford. The young man plays with a huge chip on his shoulders and plays hard every play. When I’m watching an offensive lineman, the very first thing I look for is effort and whether they finish their blocks. Ford easily checks that box for me. Here’s some examples:

Cody-Ford-2.gif Ford plays through the whistle on this play. Does this have a big effect on the play? No, not really. But when it comes to effort as a player, you either have it…or you don’t. You can’t teach effort. Cody-Ford-4.gif He’s a wrecker. Watch him as he leads on this screen pass. Engages with his man full speed and drives him into the opposing team’s sideline taking out a referee in the process. This play is also a good example of the attitude he plays with as you can see him jawing at the guy he blocked as he walks away. Hard not to like. Cody-Part-9.gif Here he is against Alabama, the best defensive front in college football. It wasn’t a perfect game by him or the rest of the Oklahoma Offensive Line but this play is another example of the effort and physicality that Ford plays with.

Pass Protection

The best trait that Ford shows as a pass protector, especially at Right Tackle, is patience. Instead of making the first move, he is very good at being patient and reacting to what the pass rusher does.

Cody-Ford-3.gif Great example here. Ford does a great job of maintaining a half-man relationship with the pass rusher. Notice how he keeps his shoulders square to the line of scrimmage and has a slight lean to the inside. This cuts off the inside rush lane from the pass rusher. Ford then waits for the pass rusher to make his move before engaging. The only criticism I have on this play, and he does have this habit, is the lack of a punch and hand placement. You want to see a strong hand stike to knock the pass rusher off his track. Ford grabs at his man and rides him out.

Ford plays with a good base and anchors well against the power rushers, but can he handle the speed rushers? The short answer is yes, but don’t take my word for it!

Cody-Ford-6.gif Being a tackle you have to be able to handle the speed rush. Ford does a really nice job of gaining depth on his kick step here while maintaining the half-man relationship. Many people will tell you that Ford projects better at Guard in the NFL. That may be true but I believe that he can get the job done at Tackle as well. Cody-Ford-8.gif One last highlight of Ford at Right Tackle for you to enjoy. Ford is uber physical and enjoys dominating his man. This poor defensive tackle had no chance against this down-block by Ford. I would like to see that kind of punch in pass pro, however.

As mentioned above, Ford projects best as an interior offensive lineman. Luckily Ford has played in the interior before. In 2017 before bumping out to Right Tackle in 2018, Ford played Left Guard for Oklahoma. Ford is best when he can can get his hands on his man. Once he does, it’s over. He’s got a very strong grip and locks his man down. This attribute translates best to Guard.

Cody-Ford-LG-3.gif Great hands here by Ford. Works an initial punch and then works his hands as his man tries to spin back inside. He locks his hands inside and drives his man out of the play. Effort! Cody-Ford-LG-2.gif Another rep of him showing good hand usage. He slides towards the defensive tackle, feels the spin outside, and adjusts quickly by punching the defensive tackle in the back. I would like to see him get his head out more instead of leaning forward at the waist.

Conclusion

Ford is a dominant offensive lineman with a killer attitude and the effort he plays with is unmatched in this draft class. The flaws I would point out are:

• Average foot speed
  • Angles when pulling. Will on occasion miss his block due to pulling into his lane too wide. Needs to pull tighter.
  • Hand strikes at Right Tackle. Deliver a punch instead of putting your hands on him.
  • 2nd Level Blocking. Ford tends to position block when climbing to the 2nd level instead of going through them, also sometimes struggles at maintaining his block against linebackers. Taking better angles will help.

Ford is the best offensive lineman in the draft not named Jonah Williams. His versatility, physicality, play-strength, and high motor all equal a high quality prospect. I see a future Pro Bowler and maybe even All-Pro Guard in him. His demeanor and attitude shows me a player that wants to be great and will do everything in his power to show the man lined up across from him that he is.

Round Projection: Top 10-15

17 minutes ago, dballer said:

Norman...I am torn. We eat 6 mil, and then you theoretically pay at the very least another 4 or 5 for a starting quality CB, you're still tying up 10 or 11 in the position and probably not improving the talent level. Sure would be nice to get him to renegotiate. 

Safety position is tough. I wouldn't mind drafting Thompson first round. But then you are looking at a bunch of young safeties, and who knows whats going on with Monte and how Apke will look.

This team tends to avoid making cuts "to make cuts" and I feel like this fanbase can definitely project guys as "def cuts" because they don't bring the perceived value.

You can put me down as someone that thinks keeping Norman around could be a smart move. For the reasons you mention, but combined with the fact that I think you'd end up replacing him with a high-end veteran to bridge another year or two to get your young CBs acclimated. To me, you've already got that in Josh Norman. And he strikes me as a guy the FO would really like as a veteran presence who isn't afraid to speak his mind. He doesn't strike me as a guy "we have to get rid of"

Also, echoing your comment on Safety. We have two young guys with upside/unknown. Who at the worst are solid backups. But I'm not sure I'd be willing to invest an early draft pick in a guy to start above them. Throw some of the FA $$ you have at a younger/vet type (ironically like Swearinger) who can come in and start at a high level while you continue to see what you have in younger guys. I wouldn't be opposed to drafting a Safety in the 5th or later, but a 1st is a rich investment for a position that has been devalued. Even Landon Collins, a recent 1st round Safety from Alabama who has played fairly well, is rumored to be let walk by the team that drafted him. Clinton-Dix ... same thing ... 1st round Alabama safety traded before his rookie deal is up. Just doesn't strke me as a position we should be investing early picks in

1 hour ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

Per FanSpeak simulator if we cut Foster, Brown, Norman, Vernon Davis ... we'd have $32.8 million in cap space (including $5m set aside for draft picks). Not a ton of $$. But I think it would be enough money to go get a couple premier FAs. Just a matter of whether that's another CB to replace Norman, a pass-rusher, or a Safety.

OTC is showing us at 22.9 mil in space right now, and it looks like cutting Brown and Davis alone would save us almost 10 mil* (cutting Foster and Norman add another 10 mil*)... so I have to wonder about FanSpeak’s numbers.  

* after factoring dead cap

2 minutes ago, skinny21 said:

OTC is showing us at 22.9 mil in space right now, and it looks like cutting Brown and Davis alone would save us almost 10 mil* (cutting Foster and Norman add another 10 mil*)... so I have to wonder about FanSpeak’s numbers.  

* after factoring dead cap

Good call. I'm certain OTC is most accurate. Although I think FanSpeak does link to OTC numbers, they probably aren't updated as they still have Swearinger and don't include R. Foster.

Cutting Vernon Davis and Zach Brown gets you $10m in cap space more and you're right, puts us around #33 million.

$5m for draft picks and probably another $8-10 million to save for in-season injury replacements, etc (usually where we end up after FA cycle) and you have yourself around $17 million to spend. Not sure what the gets you ... but it would likely get you Preston Smith and Crowder fairly easily (with 1st year cap hits being lower). I would also say that it's unlilely those guys are back ... so you're probably looking at a top-end FA Safety and maybe an Edge rusher like Dee Ford or Dante Fowler who would be very expensive. I can't see it being on OL or WR, as those are positions that we have a lot of $$ invested right now.

I still think it sets up the draft to go LG, EDGE, WR with the first 3 picks.

Count me in as the guy who is doing mock drafts a week removed from the end of the season. I'm that guy. But I gotta do something.

Traded 1.15 to New England for 1.29, 3.9 and 3.32 ... may have sold the pick short, but had some late-1st guys I wanted to target and wanted to add more mid-rounders.

1.29: Cody Ford, T/G Oklahoma

2.14: Hollywood Brown, WR Oklahoma

3.9: Trevon Diggs, CB Alabama

3.13: Terrell Lewis, EDGE Alabama

3.32: Brett Rypien, QB Boise

3.33: Zach Gentry, TE Michigan

5.15: Troy Dye, ILB

5.33: Jordan Fuller, S Ohio State

Couple that with a big FA Safety and either re-signing Preston Smith (or going for a Dee Ford/Dante Fowler type in FA) and it's probably a decent off-season. You go into the season with some serious ?'s at QB but at the same time, you keep stacking up the defense and you invest in speed/OL on offense. You also give yourself a middle-round QB to excite the fanbase but don't over-invest ina  "weak" class that prevents you from going QB in 2020. IDK, I think that sort of draft investment would pique my interest even if you start the season with Colt McCoy.

Ed Oliver, DT, Houston, Jr - 7.0

Strengths
- Lean build with no sloppy weight on his frame.
- Elite athlete at the position.  As twitchy as it gets. Outstanding runner who can glide around in the open field.
- First step is best in class.  Aaron Donald-esque.  Routinely the first off the line and several yards ahead of teammates into the backfield.
- Converts speed to power at an elite level
- Powerful puncher with an elite bull rush.
- Natural bender with a low center of gravity.  Stays under his opponent's pads when playing downhill.
- Body control is as good as it gets at the position.  Gifted tackler.  Makes breathtaking plays off his frame look effortless.
- Premier run defender in the class.  Stones A gap runs at and behind the line.  Routinely puts single and even the occasional double block on skates to spill runs.
- Hits his fits with ferocity.  Nasty trench warrior who can flatten blockers when he uncoils.  Puts ball carriers on notice.
- Generates pressure via inside power against doubles and even pushes triple teams into the middle of the pocket.
- Ability to split doubles is rare.
- Has a spin move he uses to slip off downblocks.
- Good shucker who can disengage to make stops on the cutback.
- Instinctive run defender who has seen the kitchen sink blocking schemes at the college level.
- High end potential in a stunting/twisting pass defense.

Weaknesses
- Undersized.  His compact frame means he probably maxes out at 280-290.
- Looks shorter than his listed height.  Gives up some length inside.
- Lacks sand in his pants to anchor as a two gapper.  Needs to do a better job resetting his feet when the double hits.
- Balance through contact is meh.  Overextends himself and ends up on the ground from trying to make the big play.
- Needs to do a better job turning his shoulders to get long on his scrapes.
- Pass rush repertoire is limited.  Just a push-pull and bull rusher at this point.  No counters to go to when his first plan fails.
- Motor runs hot and cold.  His snap counts are too high and he tires.  Pad level shoots up out of his stance when it happens.
- Effort in pursuit should be more consistent given his extreme range for the position.
- Had two fairly minor knee injuries in the last two years, but didn't miss time from the one during the sophomore season.
- Had an ugly sideline blow up with his coach this season.  How coachable is he?

Oliver is a unique athlete at the position.  You almost never find guys that run and jump as well as him at one and three technique.  Certainly no one else in this class has his combination of power, explosiveness, and coordination.  He plays with obvious passion for the game and he's got the natural instinct for beating blocks and finding his way to the football.  He is one of the elite players of the class and has definite Pro-bowl potential.

However, he's got some flaws worth discussing.  The most obvious one is his size.  Much like DreMont Jones, he's undersized for the position and doesn't have the body type to gain a bunch of bulk without losing his speed.  Guys like Aaron Donald have paved the way for smaller DTs to be highly valued, but neither of Jones or Oliver are the kind of well rounded pass rusher that Donald was coming out of Pitt.  Oliver's lack of versatility and development as a rusher is his biggest weakness.  He's raw in this part of the game and he's going to have to be coached up.  He'll get a lot of pressure in the meantime because of his freakish athleticism, but in order to get to that next step of consistency and statistical production, he's going to have to grow beyond the push-pull and bull.

For an NFL comparison, I see Geno Atkins.  Or a rich man's Sheldon Rankins.  Similar body types and skill sets, but Oliver looks like a much, much more gifted athlete than Rankins and he is more coordinated than Atkins.  Jurrell Casey comes to mind as well.

For his NFL position, he's a quintessential one gapping three technique but he can also excel from the one tech in certain schemes/packages.  He can probably also line up wider in a five technique and beyond.  I love his potential in a stunt heavy scheme because he runs so well, but I didn't see Houston running a lot of that in his cut ups.  He's got a lot of untapped upside.  I don't think he had access to anywhere near the level of coaching that the SEC and Big 10 guys had.

He would be able to play virtually anywhere on the line for us.

His combine measurements and the health of his knee will determine his draft stock.  His athletic testing numbers are going to be off the charts, but his critical measurements will be his height, weight, and arm length.  If he measures 602X-603X and 290+ with 33"+ arms, then he should be a top ten lock and perhaps go top five.  If he barely hits 601X and measures at 280 or below, then he could slide much farther than people expect.  Teens or perhaps even twenties would be his floor under those circumstances.

Archived