Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Redskins vs. Jets Game Thread - Preseason Game II/2018

FS#21

For the 2nd week in a row our 2nd string OL, going against a 1st string defense, opened up holes for a 30+ yard run.

Unfortunately, the RB was injured on both plays.

But it's almost like our 2nd string OL plays better than the 1st, on run-blocking.

Also, we beat a Jets team, that essentially had a 1st string-level QB playing the whole game, including against our defensive backups, and we still won.

What did you guys think about the new MNF commentators? I think yes they were boring, but i mean It is preseason. Not much to try to sound excited about after the first quarter. I think in the regular season once the games and situations actually matter/count, the commentators will bring the “excitement” type of voices (if that makes any sense) 

7 minutes ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

What did you guys think about the new MNF commentators? I think yes they were boring, but i mean It is preseason. Not much to try to sound excited about after the first quarter. I think in the regular season once the games and situations actually matter/count, the commentators will bring the “excitement” type of voices (if that makes any sense) 

I thought they were super excited about the Jets..... and didnt care about the other team involved.  But yeah, mostly boring.

2 hours ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

Was he really out of the game for a while and then went back in for that last drive? That would be kinda cool if so, and be an acknowledgement that he's on a different level from those guys

Yeah they had taken him out for a while and had Simmie Cobbs and #84 as the outside WR's,

1 hour ago, Peregrine said:

I thought they were super excited about the Jets..... and didnt care about the other team involved.  But yeah, mostly boring.

Seems like that’s how it is with almost any commentators that we get. Why is that? Do people just like never want the redskins to win? What is it?

14 minutes ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

Seems like that’s how it is with almost any commentators that we get. Why is that? Do people just like never want the redskins to win? What is it?

Damn...

I'll never get it...

You guys have been raised for decades by hundredth of western movies where the likes of American idols John Wayne or Clint Eastwood portrayed good guys Cowboys fighting evil Redskins.

And you're wondering why nobody likes us? 

We are the bad guys!

4 hours ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

I was listening to the Skins radio but just watching that group I could tell they sucked. They all had the vibe of amateur hour. 

6 hours ago, London Kev said:

Hey, how about that, we won.

Hogan shows some life at last and it looks like Cam Sims has played his way onto the team.

Too many missed tackles by the back-ups, but the starting defense looks pretty solid.

They did, but Dunbar didn’t play well....

6 hours ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

Thought they were awful.  They seemed like a bunch of rookies.  I know Tessitore is a vet of calling games, but watching WItten, I wonder how he was the best option.  Cuz I'm sure they considered a bunch of people.  Primetime football should feel like a big game, but I said it earlier in the thread, these guys felt like the JV.  Didn't feel like they put out the best announce team they had to offer.  It felt like the booth you get when the Browns play the Bears, except this is what it's gonna be every Monday night.

And Booger is cool doing college football in the studio, but being a sideline guy isn't really his deal. 

Witten was the best option because he's a big name, the newest toy in the toy box and the flavor of the week. The commentary and play by play was terrible. They were so on script, didn't act like they cared about the game at all, and probably spent more time talking about the New York Giants than the Washington Redskins. The worst part for me was when Byron Marshall got injured, they were busy describing some other guy and had a cut away graphic. They never broke away from their prepared "color" which didn't have anything to do with the play, or even the units that were on the field. We never saw the hit, never saw if Marshall walked off or was carried off and was never told how severe it looked or what kind of injury it was.

That's commentator malpractice.

6 hours ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

I usually don't notice the announcers but they were borderline horrible.  Jeff Tripplet was laughed out of the NFL for his incompetence, now he is their expert?  Giant WTF moment when I heard his name. 

As for the game:

It's apparently that Christian is not an NFL player.  Sure he is young but you never see a player this bad turn into a good player.  

Loved what I saw out of Payne.  

Perine will be fine. It was an ankle not a knee.  Unless it's broken players don't miss the season with ankle injuries.

I am really rooting for Sims to make the team. His up and down night had enough ups I hope, his potential is tremendous.

Can we please stop with the love for Trey Quinn?  He is not good, end of story.  

I had some thoughts on the first 10 plays of the opening Redskins' drive. Wanted to share them. 

1st - Alex gets crushed. Hard to find blame with anyone except Jay here. If to use again in the future... they are going to need to have Vernon Davis.. in this instance.. to at least chip and then release on the edge rusher that had the free rush to Alex. Nice determination and agility from Alex to even get the ball to Richardson there. 

2nd - minimal run gain for Kelley. Jamal Adams was in the box and Richardson failed to block him. To be fair to Paul, Adams seemed to know it was coming and got in there instantly, so Paul would have needed to block in the back anyway. Pretty strong interior DL was actually getting too much push on Scherff, which helped obstruct Kelley's lane as well

3rd - Good looking play-action call. Blocking was solid. Alex to Vernon renewed. 

4th - Pretty ugly run blocks all around for minimal run gain, Kelley. LT, LG, C, even Scherff and Sprinkle didn't hold  2nd level blocks. Good cut block from Moses was the only positive. 

5th - left side collapsed too quickly at LT and LG. Quick pass to Kelley out of the backfield inc. LB was on him well enough but not aware of the incoming pass. I think the placement was as good as you can get under the positioning of the two. Kelley just didn't make a good play on the ball. Did not look like a WR or quality receiver. 

6th - Left side was caving fast but not as fast as the prior play. Not the worst blocking efforts, tolerable. Good pass in for Doctson and the conversion.  

7th - was a quick pass to Kelley on a drag. Lauvao was quickly outmuscled, and took down the DL right at Smith's feet just as the throw was made. Surprised it wasn't flagged. 

8th - Lauvao and Rouiller do a respectable job of opening up a lane for Kelley to find. Kelley shows good power to get an extra few after the LB contact. 5 yard rush gain! yay!!!!

9th - Poor play call on what was a bit of delay run for Kelley. It's 2nd and goal a the 6. They haven't been able to pound much at all successfully, and now the field is condensed. VD did alright at first but didn't sustain his block on the LE. Richardson did okay, but mostly since Adams over-committed inside on his own. The LC had nothing to do, so he easily closed in and made the tackle. Kelley's so focused on getting something here, but he should have tried to cut far outside to challenge that LCB for the EZ. 

10th - Quick slant to Quinn broken up in EZ. Richardson up top on the same route was an option, but the shot to Quinn made more sense to me. When I first saw it, I felt Smith should have thrown in a foot further out in front of Quinn. I wanted to see it again today so that I can better see where the single high S was. 

It's close. Maybe a foot further out was the right move, but it does make me wonder if Quinn gets blasted by that safety. It has to at least increase the risk. Was a very nice breakup by Skrine to get that right arm in there. The announcer is blaming Quinn for not being more aggressive with his footwork. I'm not sure. 

22 yd FG

1 hour ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

It's apparently that Christian is not an NFL player.  Sure he is young but you never see a player this bad turn into a good player.  

I think this is both harsh and way premature. Also, so far from all reports, Quinn seems like a great value considering his draft spot. 

1 hour ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

I usually don't notice the announcers but they were borderline horrible.  Jeff Tripplet was laughed out of the NFL for his incompetence, now he is their expert?  

"Borderline?"

They flat out sucked. Worse than Mike Tirico was calling games on NFL Network games.   It was painful and awkward.  Pathetic.

2nd drive for Redskins offense

1st - you could instantly tell after the snap that this was going to be a good run gain. Kling and Kalis got movement on their DL, Sprinkle did enough to his OLB. Doc did a fine easy job on the playside CB, and the crowning jewel of JP Holtz (TE lined up as FB) took out the playside ILB. Perine looked good for the most part, but won't ever be confused as a sub 4.6 runner. 

2nd - largest problem I had with the next run for Kelley was Bergstrom at C and Sprinkle at TE. C was outmuscled from the 0 tech and TE failed to sustain his block of OLB. Minimal gain. 

3rd - if people hate Kelley, they should focus on this play. It was not amazing or special, but it does show some good things of the RB. Kelley takes the handoff, instantly sees the lane behind RG/RT clogged up, and does a quick jumpcut back to the left, then drags someone forward for a few yards. Nice job young Christian for blocking down inside then going LB block. 

4th - both Kline and Christian are giving up ground toward McCoy's drop point. Gradual losses. Looked like most routes visible were well covered, though the one I can't see looks like Sprinkle split out wide running a deep route. QB takes the chance of running for it, but that proves the foolish move here. Not going to blame the LG/LT blocks, as they couldn't know what McCoy was doing. 

35 yd FG

2 hours ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

I am really rooting for Sims to make the team. His up and down night had enough ups I hope, his potential is tremendous.

I'm not sure what your issue is with Trey Quinn - he's an awesome story, being Mr. Irrelevant.  He's turning heads, and making plays.  That diving grab going back for a ball that was thrown behind him by McCoy was awesome.  Secondly, he had a chance to make an great grab in the endzone from Alex Smith, he just has to be more aggressive in going after the ball.  He'll learn and he actually showed that he did when he out-physicaled a cornerback to come back and get a pass the series after his unfortunate drop.  

I'm also rooting for Cam Sims - I love the fact that has length and seems to know how to use it.  I wish he could have caught the back shoulder fade - he had his hands on it but just couldn't haul it in.  

2 hours ago, Burgold said:

Witten was the best option because he's a big name, the newest toy in the toy box and the flavor of the week. The commentary and play by play was terrible. They were so on script, didn't act like they cared about the game at all, and probably spent more time talking about the New York Giants than the Washington Redskins. The worst part for me was when Byron Marshall got injured, they were busy describing some other guy and had a cut away graphic. They never broke away from their prepared "color" which didn't have anything to do with the play, or even the units that were on the field. We never saw the hit, never saw if Marshall walked off or was carried off and was never told how severe it looked or what kind of injury it was.

That's commentator malpractice.

Also when Perine got hurt the game feed was showing him limp to the sidelines and get attention. The commentators were talking about Samaje the whole time but saying nothing at all about what was happening. I was thinking, "Hey, this is relevant and important, guys. He just ran a 30-yarder. Are you going to say anything at all about the obvious injury going on?"

Archived