Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

MMQB: How Su'a Cravens fell apart..

crabbypatty

https://www.si.com/nfl/2018/08/15/sua-cravens-washington-redskins-injury-grievance-trade-denver-broncos

Thought some of you guys would be interested in this. It is a long article but reinforces my personal opinion on Su'a.. the guy is a quitter who needs to be constantly reassured that he's loved and wanted.. he's a nutjob imo. (not earth shattering news)

The article reads like one giant train of excuses. There's always some nonsensical "reason" for everything that was a problem during his time in DC

I think some of his issues were real, like homesickness and immaturity and things of that nature, but it reads like a bunch more of his issues were in his head. In any event, good riddance.

a few snippets:

Cravens couldn’t bear to watch NFL games last season. They made him think about what he might have been doing on the field, had his post-concussion syndrome been diagnosed earlier. He purposely left his TV off on Sundays and only watched college football. “Those were the good days when I was healthy, when I was at USC, where they loved me and wanted me,” he says.

Compton was mic’ed up by NBC Sports Washington one day during training camp, and NBC’s cameras and microphones caught a conversation with Cravens during practice in which Compton questioned him about that motivation and why he was out there grinding through camp. The video was circulated widely on social media after Cravens left the team. Compton says he was prompted to ask Cravens about his motivation because Cravens told him he was going to quit earlier in practice that day. “He said, ‘Yo, I think I’m done’ ” Compton says. “And I was like, Yo, I’m mic’ed up, relax.

Cravens switched to safety full-time going into last year’s training camp, but teammates were surprised to find he still wasn’t happy. Safety D.J. Swearinger, in his first season in Washington, says he heard Cravens say he was done playing during one of the tough days of training camp. “I remember him saying he wasn’t motivated, nothing motivated him about football,” Swearinger says. “You could tell he didn’t want to be out there.”

I plan on reading the article when I get some free time for finality sake then hope to never have to thinjk about Sua Cravens again.

Part of me wishes him bad luck with regards to future football endeavors but its just football, he still young and it seems hes a conflicted young man. While it cost the team a 2nd R pick I wish him the best and hope finds a permanent peace of mind that he seems to be looking for.

58 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I guess Preston Smith is terrible -- people are strangely afraid that he's going to get monster money in FA next year?  Sadder yet, the team was nailing those 2nd rounders for years before this.:)

Oh yeah, all pros like Kelley, Thomas, and Davis! :)

1 hour ago, volsmet said:

Harsh criticism for a young guy. NFL football is absolute insanity.

My take as well.

Jake Locker did the same thing.  However to Lockers credit he stayed off social media and didnt regularly call out fans

Cravens clearly has some issues, hope he overcomes them and does something with his life

Lots of interesting bits in the article. Had never thought about how furious Swearinger must be for buying the jersey number ($75,000!) and then Su'a doing a DB Cooper with the cash after 1 preseason game :rofl89:

Also clear that he was done here within the locker room and could never have come back into the fold.

It's a shame, because if he is genuinely locked in to NFL football this time then he will ball out at Denver. He may be soft but he's a damn talented football player.

Time will tell I guess.

29 minutes ago, UKskins said:

Lots of interesting bits in the article. Had never thought about how furious Swearinger must be for buying the jersey number ($75,000!) and then Su'a doing a DB Cooper with the cash after 1 preseason game :rofl89:

Also clear that he was done here within the locker room and could never have come back into the fold.

It's a shame, because if he is genuinely locked in to NFL football this time then he will ball out at Denver. He may be soft but he's a damn talented football player.

Time will tell I guess.

I bet you he never returned one cent of that 75k.. he took it knowing he had no intention of playing or really applying himself.. shady dude.

I think our FO sponged everything they could from Scott and have continued to use the same methodology the last 2 years for scouting, drafting, and free agency,

The FO took on a new identity as to how they approach everything when Scott came here and its stayed the same even though he's gone.

7 hours ago, crabbypatty said:

https://www.si.com/nfl/2018/08/15/sua-cravens-washington-redskins-injury-grievance-trade-denver-broncos

a few snippets:

Cravens couldn’t bear to watch NFL games last season. They made him think about what he might have been doing on the field, had his post-concussion syndrome been diagnosed earlier. He purposely left his TV off on Sundays and only watched college football. “Those were the good days when I was healthy, when I was at USC, where they loved me and wanted me,” he says.

I can assure you that part isn't true.

Cravens does not come across in a good light in this article, at all. The part that had me laugh out loud lol...

Going into his sophomore year, a new coaching staff had switched him to a hybrid safety/linebacker position. He’d been a Freshman All-America at safety his first year on campus and was resistant to the position switch.

He missed a practice or two and told teammates he was quitting. Cravens admits he did pack his bags, but says it was because he told coaches he would transfer if they switched his position and he was exploring his options to play for a different program, not because he quit on the team and just didn’t show up.

i love how how he thinks there’s some important difference to acknowledge between the two scenarios lol...”Yes, I packed my bags and told teammates I was quitting, but I didn’t just quit on them and not show up.”

9 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

Definition of soft.

Keyboard warrior, dude was playing in a league we could only dream about playing in but WE'RE the ones calling him soft..In my 20's when I was young and dumb I would have said the same thing. In my 30's? No. He's young and he was going through things, injuries, self confidence issues etc and stuff we probably don't and will never know. 

It was interesting my freshman year in high school I quit the football team cause honestly, I didn't handle the adversity well and wasn't having the same kind of fun I had playing with my friends. It was a decision I'd regret the rest of my life and I know I lost friends because of that decision. I went on to run track and cross country. I was also in the Boy Scouts and one year our troop was to going to Philmont,. The idea of the trip, hiking 2-12 miles per day for week and a half intimidated me at 16 and I didn't go. I remember how the troop treated me after they got back same thing as it was with football. It was another one of those decisions I would regret.

Then I moved to the west coast, I never did vindicate myself for my football decision but I got a chance with Philmont as our troop asked me to go as an adult advisor when I was 18. After going there with my troop I went back to work at Philmont as a Ranger for a couple of summers. Later on, I went back East and ran into some old friends from the football team and the conversation was directed to something I had on that was in direct relation to my time in Philmont in New Mexico. I told em about what I did there, hiking 16 hour days in the rain, doing mountain rescues where we had to carry a kid 3 miles down a 11k mountain by hand (not by myself though we had a rescue team) at 10pm in total darkness. Dealing with altitude sickness ( like 1 day flu) and having to hike 10 miles. Navigating a trail with a map n compass. Running into bears and Mountain Lions, rattle snakes, sleeping under the stars getting eaten by bugs mosquitos etc doing wilderness survival such as building shelters from what you found in the woods. Having to go number 2 with no bathroom and just using what you had around you, and other various things I could go on about.

To my surprise some of my old football friends " Nope'd" out mid conversation saying they'd never do some of the things I thought were arbitrary and no big deal. 

I didn't judge them though, at the same time I was humbled, I realized these guys did something I couldn't do but I found out I had apparently done things these guys might never do. That's what life can do you sometimes, it challenges you, it can make you a coward sometimes and can make you feel like a hero the next..

So when I look at Cravens situation today. I don't judge him for what happened, it just is what it is..

Archived