Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

NYT - Redskins Cheerleaders Describe Trip to Costa Rica that Crossed the Line

Reaper Skins

A couple glaring, rather undisputable quotes from the USA Today hit piece on Snyder:

That Snyder is so reprehensible would probably be overlooked by many if he was actually a good steward of his team.  But he's not.

There very well might be owners who are worse than Snyder.  But nobody is as bad at hiding it as he is.

That's what kind of kills me about when I see fans continuing to wear the cape for Dan.  He's never done anything in his ownership to buy the kind of loyalty he gets from some of the folks around here.  Even if you don't pin a lot of the franchise's wrongdoings over the years directly on Dan, it's his organization and he chooses to employ the folks who make these missteps.

16 minutes ago, thesubmittedone said:

I don’t see why believing that cheerleading, especially at the pro level, is largely about the objectification of women (and having a distaste for it because of that) needs to be made mutually exclusive from also recognizing just how wrong what happened on that trip was (and anything similar to it happening anywhere else)? 

I personally believe in both and find nothing contradictory there. One idea does not justify the other. A cycle of wrong isn’t suddenly made right at any point within said cycle. 

And just to be clear, I don’t think anyone really advocated that here, but I think it can be implied at times. 

For the record, my post was making people aware of how rampant these practices are.  Even when there are no national brands involved.  Its crazy.

22 minutes ago, PerryMason said:

Better to read my post again "This is obviously different than being required to do so, but it just kind of shows insight in to how the world of modeling focuses on trying to get nudity involved (bc sex sells)." 

Didn't defend it, just providing more information on how that world works, right or wrong.

Yeah...but the world is changing.  ‘Casting couches’ used to be the norm hence the phrase.  The world of modeling, cheerleading, acting, etc.  will not be the same in the future.  People have been educated and sensitized to a social problem and the genie will never be put back into the lamp again.

This cheerleading scandal is almost perfect timing because the #metoo movement now enters the sports realm.

2 minutes ago, PerryMason said:

For the record, my post was making people aware of how rampant these practices are.  Even when there are no national brands involved.  Its crazy.

I made that post without seeing yours, no worries, it wasn’t directed at you or anyone necessarily. :) 

Just now, XtremeFan55 said:

Yeah...but the world is changing.  ‘Casting couches’ used to be the norm hence the phrase.  The world of modeling, cheerleading, acting, etc.  will not be the same in the future.  People have been educated and sensitized to a social problem and the genie will never be put back into the lamp again.

This cheerleading scandal is almost perfect timing since it now enters the sports realm.

On the big stage, sure things are changing.  But in the everyday modeling world, and I don't mean the supermodel, victoria secret, cover of Vouge, SI swimsuit level of modeling....I mean in the local city to city modelling agency world, nothing will change.  This will continue as long as the money is there and there are cash-straped pretty girls who will take any job just to try and "make it" to the next level.  And the girls who agree to more proceed to the next level faster.  Its sad really.   

20 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

That's what kind of kills me about when I see fans continuing to wear the cape for Dan.  He's never done anything in his ownership to buy the kind of loyalty he gets from some of the folks around here.  Even if you don't pin a lot of the franchise's wrongdoings over the years directly on Dan, it's his organization and he chooses to employ the folks who make these missteps.

So are we, as fans, just as complicit for "wearing the cape" when we continue to renew season tickets, buy merchandise, watch the games (ratings)?

Stop feeding the beast.

Another embarrassment on Dan Snyder's laundry list of embarrassments. Bruce can go to Vegas and take Dan with him. I also had no idea that cheerleaders are basically forced into mandatory events (the real mandatory events like public appearances not these sleezy out of country trips which is also stunning they pay out of pocket) without any financial compensation because someone else will just take their spot if they decide they don't want to do it. I hope cheerleaders across the league take a stand because that is ridiculous. I seriously doubt this is just a Redskins problem and probably happens to cheerleaders on all 32 teams.

The NFL product is such a poor product these days on and off the field and if it wasn't for following this team for damn near 30 years, I like I'm sure many others would have freed up our Sundays a long time ago. The only money I put into anything NFL is fantasy football and I'm about to stop that as well. It's a real shame, this current brand of football is not the football I grew up watching which hooked me on the professional game of football. The NFL really needs to do some soul searching because it's just black eye after black on the league and every year there are less and less people at the games and tuning in on tv.

I dare say we are dealing with a limited amount of truth in this story. Not a great look overall to be fair but highly subjective in its accuracy. 

At least the league are working hard on eliminating kickoffs....

34 minutes ago, LaRonDontLikeUgly said:

I was semi-dating one of the cheerleaders on that trip at the time. (She was a rookie then, now retired.)  She posted “fake news” on her Instagram last night along with tons of support for the WRC.

There may be more to this story...

Details/info man!!

swansongolfcart.bmp

For some reason this picture seems appropriate.  Couple good ol’ boys....Circe 2009.

the newer version has Bruce Allen riding shotgun with Snyder in back seat and Tony Wylie driving. 

I can never forget the story of these three hanging out in the Dulles airplane hangar after a Redskins loss under Zorn...drinking Crown Royal....then making the spur of the moment decision to fly out to Denver to recruit Mike Shanahan....in the middle of the night....

Snahahan had to put them up for the night in his home....

a bunch of lost boys....that never grow up....

14 hours ago, Califan007 said:

i agree, but the cheerleaders seem to REALLY like doing it.

I don't want to trash our cheerleaders in a thread about them being victimized, but the fact is I don't like them and I wish we didn't have them.  I know they like doing what they do, but I don't like seeing it, especially from them.  So they should go do it somewhere else, while wearing something other than burgundy and gold.

2 hours ago, Renegade7 said:

To confirm, in regards to Statutes of Limitations, is it Virginia that would have to file charges given where Redskins Park is located?  I'm seeing 5 years as max in most websites (which is probably why this is coming out now).

What charges? Felony making women uncomfortable (MWU)? If the piece is correct, it paints the execs that were there as being skeevy and creepy, but the article does mention there was no sex involved. I fail to see what kind of charges could be brought up for this.

34 minutes ago, MarkB452 said:

Eli's trial for fake memorabilia  items goes on trial in May. 

And?..that's double strike down mayhem for Mara on us now.. punishment for this B's and than will take his anger out on us being pissed off about Eli's issue.

I hate that no matter what facts are given as soon as a story breaks its automatically true and the hell with and facts that come out later. This guilty before innocent society that is present today is literally a witch hunt anymore. As soon as someone has an axe to grind somewhere someone will no doubt go to obscene lengths to damage other humans. True or not this damning of fellow human beings before even knowing any truth is the scariest part of any allegation.

You know - I didn't think there was any way I could loathe the management of this any more than I do now. I've already resolved to never buy any merch or step foot in their stadium (either FedEx or their next place). The only reason why I stick around here is because of my local connections and because I do like the community here on ES.

And then I read this (actually, I read a Sporting News synopsis because I'm out of free stories from the NYT). 

The thing that gets me about these stories is the backlash that says "well, well, no one put a gun to their head" or some variation of it - as if there aren't a million explicit or implicit ways to coerce someone into doing something, especially if you're in a foreign country and your passport was confiscated by your employer. And of course the "well, why'd they take so long for them to speak up" as if they were in a position to say anything immediately afterward without fear of retribution (legal or otherwise). 

**** this. **** this exploitative, sexist, bourgeois fantasy wish fulfillment and **** everyone responsible for this.  

10 minutes ago, fordranger76 said:

I hate that no matter what facts are given as soon as a story breaks its automatically true and the hell with and facts that come out later. This guilty before innocent society that is present today is literally a witch hunt anymore. As soon as someone has an axe to grind somewhere someone will no doubt go to obscene lengths to damage other humans. True or not this damning of fellow human beings before even knowing any truth is the scariest part of any allegation.

How exactly are we supposed to get our hands on these facts?

At the end of the day, I'm sure this boils down to each cheerleaders individual perspective.  I'm sure there are some who were totally okay with this type of stuff and probably enjoy this kind of attention.  At the same time, I'm sure there are others that didn't sign up to be a cheerleader for these type of shenanigans. 

The Redskins also didn't help matters with their statement.  They better hope there is not an ounce of truth to any of this.

1 minute ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

How exactly are we supposed to get our hands on these facts?

At the end of the day, I'm sure this boils down to each cheerleaders individual perspective.  I'm sure there are some who were totally okay with this type of stuff and probably enjoy this kind of attention.  At the same time, I'm sure there are others that didn't sign up to be a cheerleader for this type of shenanigans. 

The Redskins also didn't help matters with their statement.  They better hope there is not an ounce of truth to any of this.

This is the thing though. No matter what if this is true or not this just makes the Redskins look bad. This could be totally fabricated. That's the main thing I'm bent about. Damage is already done. Does not matter now because we are on a minute to minute news cycle and whomever gets the most clicks wins. Truth be damned. Society likes to blast people into oblivion on stories and reports while they could give a good **** if anything is of truth. Being that other cheerleaders are already coming out and refuting this report makes its a question of truth to the original report. Modern journalism makes no effort in thorough reporting anymore and throw **** against a wall hoping it sticks.

And while the NYT (and their ilk) don't always get it right, they're sure as hell not going to print this story unless they have good reason to believe it's true - especially when it's about a multi-billion dollar operation like the Washington Redskins. 

They know they're dealing with a notoriously litigious man like Dan Snyder and the last thing they need is a libel suit. Ax grinding is something most media outlets (especially newspapers) cannot afford to engage in outside of their editorial page. Unless management at the NYT has completely lost their minds or want to commit financial and career suicide, they've got something to back this up.

Archived