Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

NYT - Redskins Cheerleaders Describe Trip to Costa Rica that Crossed the Line

Reaper Skins

1 hour ago, NewCliche21 said:

Yep, this isn't limited to women or sexual misconduct (to be PC).  This is any type of authority exploiting any type of vulnerability.  Employment, familial, social, academic, marital, anything.  Exploitation is always wrong, always.

I'm not saying that authority doesn't inherently have authority.  I'm saying there's the right way to utilize it and then what happened here.

Maybe take those five years you're taking off and get some training in comedy.  You're doing it wrong.

Umm I wasn't trying to be funny..

4 minutes ago, Fresh8686 said:

Do you mean the name or the team itself?

Cuz, I ain't worried about that. Just call us the Washington Warriors and be done with it.

yeah just the name and logo and maybe all native American imagery.

Get ready for something like the Monuments with a phallic logo :rofl89: and arena league uniform

What 

13 minutes ago, Gibbit said:

the end of Dan will be the end of the Redskins

be prepared for that

how so?  This team needs a new owner.   Dan Snyder has 0 vision. He is just a conman who used his earnings to buy a football team

36 minutes ago, Gibbit said:

there are writers out there with agendas against us. I mean did these girls get together and contact the press or was it a reporter sniffing around to twist words and reignite the attack on our organization? Doubt we will ever know but it could be telling...eh nothing I can think of to go to the police over. Anything these girls could sue over?

Some ex-cheerleader called Elliot this morning and was saying they just collect the passports so you didn't lose them and basically echoed that the stories were b.s.

Probably truth to it, but the chance to scream Snyder is a Racist and a Sexist? Oh they are chomping at the bit

Collect their passports so they don’t lose them?  Lol. How old are they? 5?

Absurd spin. No one is touching my passport but me. Ever. 

As for this so-called media “agenda”, um just no. 

This franchise has been screwing up royally for 20+ years. There’s no need for press to make up stuff. Skins give them plenty of ammo. 

Just now, skinfan2k said:

What 

how so?  This team needs a new owner.   Dan Snyder has 0 vision. He is just a conman who used his earnings to buy a football team

I don't know...he just needs to get better. He isn't going to change the name while he owns the team and is alive and hes young in owner terms.

I just think the Redskins era in Washington dies with Dan...same team new name and uni....still its different ya know

59 minutes ago, theTruthTeller said:

Well, they took down the "Who's Hotter" feature from the cheerleaders section.  Problem solved!

I saw that on the Today show this morning. Absolutely blew my mind that they would put that on the team website. Just doing a "pick your favorite" is maybe pushing it a little, but "HOT OR NOT"????? Totally clueless. 

3 minutes ago, LightningBuggs said:

As for this so-called media “agenda”, um just no. 

This franchise has been screwing up royally for 20+ years. There’s no need for press to make up stuff. Skins give them plenty of ammo. 

I'm just repeating what someone that has actual experience in the situations said....or are you a hot cheerleader? its not a spin, just repeating

And lol if you don't think the headline of Snyder being a racist and sexist yesterday isn't agenda....that's easy

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

its good that they are looking into it

Craig HoffmanVerified account @CraigHoffman
FollowingFollowing @CraigHoffman
More

The #Redskins have announced they are investigating the 2013 Calendar Shoot. Within the last 48 hours, they have conducted interviews with current and former cheerleaders. Some of these accounts contradict The Times’ reporting. The investigation is ongoing.

DcS5ixaXcAA9_tk.jpg

Needs an independent investigation. No one should ever put any credence into any organization "Investigating" it's own issues.

6 minutes ago, Gibbit said:

I don't know...he just needs to get better. He isn't going to change the name while he owns the team and is alive and hes young in owner terms.

I just think the Redskins era in Washington dies with Dan...same team new name and uni....still its different ya know

you act like the name has anything to do with the issues.  

3 hours ago, Califan007 said:

For me, I hate viewing it through the prism of the Redskins because it takes the focus away from what's important--the treatment of cheerleaders across the NFL and in other sports-- and puts it on "Hopefully this gets rid of Snyder/Allen". I would guess that, if that happened, most here would forget about the cheerleaders and their very real issues...and their jubilation wouldn't be because someone who disrespected, objectified and coerced women to be sex objects against their will got punished. It would be due to getting a new owner/team president.

Yeah, that wouldn’t be a good thing but it’s largely a hypothetical and something to worry about more down the road. Right now it seems like that view has been expressed or implied by a minority. And if people would see it as simply as that while ignoring what actually happened, well, I’m not sure it should even matter what they think. 

But if we’re getting into how the focus should be on the actual issue, right now I’d say the larger concern is coming from the opposite side of that spectrum. Those who wish to downplay this, minimize it, or seek to somewhat alleviate the Redskins’ top brass via the inclusion of other franchises or whatever other excuses they come up with. Mainly because they’re Skins fans and don’t want to give up their conflation of the ownership itself with the franchise (Dan = Redskins). Basically, they want to be able to root for Dan and his top exec/s at any expense. 

That would be the larger, more immediate (if also only hypothetical) concern if we’re worried about the actual issue being the focus, in my eyes. 

Brewer just rakes them over the coals, throughout his editorial

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/redskins/the-redskins-of-dan-snyder-and-bruce-allen-exhibit-the-worst-qualities-of-privilege/2018/05/03/d9b571b6-4eec-11e8-af46-b1d6dc0d9bfe_story.html?utm_term=.2a18957a1536

It would have been better, not to mention classier, to deliver an immediate strong and personal message raging against this type of behavior. Instead, for almost a full day, it looked like they were hiding or, worse, ignoring.

The reaction is consistent with what the organization has become under Snyder. On just about every social issue, from the team name to player protests, Washington comes across as smug, self-serving or frighteningly unconcerned. Many times, it is all three. The initial response to this potential scandal is another reminder that its leaders consistently act in a deplorable and privileged manner that makes them ill-suited to represent a community as diverse and influential as this one.

17 minutes ago, thesubmittedone said:

Yeah, that wouldn’t be a good thing but it’s largely a hypothetical and something to worry about more down the road. Right now it seems like that view has been expressed or implied by a minority. And if people would see it as simply as that while ignoring what actually happened, well, I’m not sure it should even matter what they think. 

But if we’re getting into how the focus should be on the actual issue, right now I’d say the larger concern is coming from the opposite side of that spectrum. Those who wish to downplay this, minimize it, or seek to somewhat alleviate the Redskins’ top brass via the inclusion of other franchises or whatever other excuses they come up with. Mainly because they’re Skins fans and don’t want to give up their conflation of the franchise itself with ownership (Dan = Redskins). Basically, they want to be able to root for Dan and his top exec/s at any expense. 

That would be the larger, more immediate (if also only hypothetical) concern if we’re worried about the actual issue being the focus, in my eyes. 

rooting for dan and his execs at any expense....

what do ya want to do....scrap the whole thing because a gm got drunk and got a reporter to give him head for info?

sucks that some guys got to see those girls awesome boobies.  (my life sucks)

**** it blow it up

12 minutes ago, LightningBuggs said:

In some countries hotels require you to hand over your passport during the stay.   I don't know whether that is the case with Costa Rica but, if so, they certainly prefer to receive and return passports in a group.  Remember the cheerleaders were traveling on a free group tour.  I've seen tour groups where a single representative handles stacks of passports.  Not my preference but it's not unheard of either.  IMO the passport comment is overblown.  

And once again, as someone who used to work as a reporter and still works in the media industry: any newspaper that doesn't want to be sued back into the stone ages would not publish a story like this. If they weren't sure this was "fit to print," they'd either throw it out altogether or sit on it until something came along to back their claims up. Are mistakes made? Absolutely - typos, miscalculations, and even benign misquotes are par for the course. Not this, though. Not on bombshell stories like this. That does happen but when it does, that means ruined reputations and purged newsrooms. It's bad for business. 

But hey! Who knows? Maybe, somehow, this whole thing is actually a crock of ****. Maybe this organization will be vindicated and they'll put that New York Times and all those other "mediots" back in their place. Maybe Jack Kent Cooke will come back from the dead and convince Joe Gibbs and Bobby Bethard and to come out of retirement and the team will move back to RFK Stadium just like the good ol' days before all those PC Police ruined everything!

But please consider this for one moment (and I'm even going to put it in quote boxes and bold font for additional emphasis):

Why on Earth would a publication with a whole line of reporters, editors, fact checkers, and copy desk personnel take a risk like this - printing something so damning about one of the most lucrative franchises in the most popular sport in America run by one of the richest and litigious men in the NFL - with the sole purpose of feeding a grudge if they didn't think they could at least defend the core facts presented in this story?

20 hours ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

You, bh32, have for the moment ruined that. You looked at a tough topic, entered a thread where gobs of hardcore fans of a sports team were offering unbiased thoughts on the obvious moral side of the issue...and you revealed the thoughts of a championship-level ****head. I don't know you, I'm only commenting on the posts you've made here. 

I don't know you or bh32, but I have been following the nonsense on this message board for a few pages now and I can clearly see that "unbiased thoughts" are not something being shared.   Most, if not all, of those attacking bh32 have had one thing in common:  A long standing dislike (dare I say hatred) of Dan and Bruce.  This feeling is clearly present in their posts.  They have judged, convicted and suggested sentence on them with just a small one page story that was short on detail.  Now, if something criminal or unethical can be proved to have been committed I am sure that bh32 (as well as myself) would join the chorus to have some punishments handed down.  But attacking bh32 for having an opinion that people have control of their lives and can decide to do or not do something they agree or disagree with is just juvenile and is quite frankly the issue causing problems in our country.  Dissenting opinions tend to get savaged now a days and those giving them are attacked.  Its easy to go along with the mob when they are raging and bh32 is finding out how it feels to go against the mob.  I just felt compelled to chime in after reading your attack "on his posts".  This entire thread started as an attack on Dan and Bruce and the hatred was so thick you could cut it.  There is plenty of bias on this thread and I believe it is clouding rational and logical thought.  To those attacking bh32...nothing the team says or does will assuage that anger.   It's hard to have an actual discussion in that environment. 

1 hour ago, TK said:

For Immediate Release                                                                                  

May 3, 2018

STATEMENT BY REDSKINS TEAM PRESIDENT BRUCE ALLEN REGARDING CHEERLEADERS IN NEW YORK TIMES ARTICLE

“The Redskins organization is very concerned by the allegations involving our cheerleaders in the recent New York Times article. We are immediately looking into this situation and want to express how serious we take these allegations.  Based on the dialogue we’ve had with a number of current and former cheerleaders over the past 48 hours, we’ve heard very different first-hand accounts that directly contradict many of the details of the May 2 article. I can promise that once we have completed looking into this matter, if it is revealed that any of our employees acted inappropriately, those employees will face significant repercussions.  

“Our entire organization has great appreciation and respect for our cheerleaders. From the work they do in the local community, to visiting our troops abroad, and for always representing the Redskins organization in a first-class manner, these women are exemplary members of our organization and are worthy of our utmost respect. We are proud of these women and support them during this time. We will continue to take all necessary measures to create a safe and respectful work environment.”

-REDSKINS

And that right there ruins any good that may have come from that statement. It makes it clear the point of any "investigation" will be to absolve the Redskins of any blame, since the very announcement of said investigation comes with a "but we did nothing wrong" slant to it.

For the record, the Redskins shouldn't be investigating anything. They should be hiring an outside, independent investigator to get to the bottom of this. I would have to rack my brain to think of anything I would care less about than a Bruce Allen investigation finding that Bruce Allen's organization is free of blame. Especially since that group is already two press releases deep in "nothing to see here" territory.

3 minutes ago, skinfan2k said:

Funny how the WaPo doesn't get this story or any of the beat writers who are around the park.  No sources in the article.  

Which means the heat is on them to find out the next story.  Assuming the NYT story in generally true, I can't believe it would be the only indiscretion.  Plus, no one has named the sponsors yet.  My guess is that half the WP staff is working on that right now.

1 hour ago, Fresh8686 said:

Do you mean the name or the team itself?

Cuz, I ain't worried about that. Just call us the Washington Warriors and be done with it.

Amen brother. I have been calling for that exact name for a decade. Keep all of the symbols the same and change the name to the Warriors. End of problem.

Archived