Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Welcome to the Washington Redskins Derrius Guice RB LSU

PCS

18 minutes ago, UKskins said:

Been waiting for this day since the draft. Guide was my massive draft crush. Love his story and he is a hell of a player. Can’t wait to see him suit up and smash the eagles.

**** yeah you and me, ok and Jay among many others. I know you also want to see him be on par with or hopefully even better than the other division backs.  I know Philly is tough vs the run but great backs somehow get yards. Crappy blockers leads to chaos and guess what, many elite backs are used to ****ty OL and the chaos they bring. Hitting a hole that is always there is not the skill top backs feature. It is improvising hence why Barry Sanders is one of the best of all time.

Guice dropped into our laps and of course got immediately injured (all things Redskins) so its been a long time coming.  I dangled AB to the Guice owner in my fantasy league to prove my fandom or perhaps my fantasy futility.  I am watching the game with a diehard filthy fan who talks trash proper like a Filthonian (™) so will need Guice to shut him up.

Just saw AP was a healthy scratch, I really hate this.  You can make the arguement for limiting the carriers for all three of our top running backs, why is Jay talking about Guice being an every down back coming off a torn ACL?  Who cares if he can, does that mean we should right out the gate?

14 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

Just saw AP was a healthy scratch, I really hate this.  You can make the arguement for limiting the carriers for all three of our top running backs, why is Jay talking about Guice being an every down back coming off a torn ACL?  Who cares if he can, does that mean we should right out the gate?

Jay has been consistent since he's been here of having one type of back like Guice or Peterson active and then the other two are CT and basically his backup.

14 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

I don't get it either. At all. How can your best running back (judging from last year) be inactive when Guice has yet to prove anything? Really bizarre. There must be something else going on. For Jay's sake, Guice better destroy today. 

2 minutes ago, MisterPinstripe said:

Jay has been consistent since he's been here of having one type of back like Guice or Peterson active and then the other two are CT and basically his backup.

I don't give a DAMN.  He sounds like Mike Williams from the Nats talking about "That's our closer"

I just question what this does with the team. A.P. and Trent where pretty important locker room guys. Both could be unhappy and drag the overal mood down. I qeustion the hard football reason but I can get into it. I don't get the overal locker room reason. It feels like you create a bad situation that could have been avoided. 

44 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

I want to think this all goes back to Jordan Reed.  Hear me out, once they figured out he wasnt gonna be available (which surely was pretty early on) they had to bring up Holtz.  They then had to cut Davis, who played ST, for Holtz.  Consequently, that left them with a hole.  Smallwood is a versatile ST, and kills two birds with one stone and makes all these moves work at AP's expense.  

Timing is everything.  AP has to be thinking he could be home in Houston right now getting lead back carries instead of inactive for a guy that was cut a week ago.  Had he known when he re-signed this was how it was gonna play out.  Through no fault of his own.  Not like he lost his job on merit.

2 minutes ago, justice98 said:

I want to think this all goes back to Jordan Reed.  Hear me out, once they figured out he wasnt gonna be available (which surely was pretty early on) they had to bring up Holtz.  They then had to cut Davis, who played ST, for Holtz.  Consequently, that left them with a hole.  Smallwood is a versatile ST, and kills two birds with one stone and makes all these moves work at AP's expense.  

That’s a rational explanation.

it could also just be a pissing match between Jay and Bruce.  

Theres no no way to know.  

Has easing in an ACL injury like Guices been a proven difference maker?  Its been a full year since the injury and ACLs are normally 9 months. Modern day IMHO rehab involves heavy use - no more laying around nurturing injuries. Anyone that has had major injury or surgery may have been surprised how quickly the doc said get yer ass up out of bed. 

I believe his setbacks were largely infection related, not structurally.  And then I think he had a hammy this summer. 

Our crack medical staff said he is a full go and only fear would make Jay not trust them.  Ok, or our ER IR list from the past 2 years.

I kind off understand the logic behind leaving AP out, but I don't like it.  I obviously hope that Guice goes on to have a massive career, but would have preferred it if Peterson had started and we eased Guice into the action.

Smallwood has only just got here and we're going to have to rely on him to spell Guice throughout the game. It may be a great plan but I would rather have some veteran experience out there.

Just now, London Kev said:

Smallwood has only just got here and we're going to have to rely on him to spell Guice throughout the game. It may be a great plan but I would rather have some veteran experience out there.

Take it from me - Smallwood is about as mediocre as a RB comes , especially vs good front 4s.  And as for his ST ability , I don’t remember but maybe one good return in 3 years.  So don’t know what magic will happen once he puts on the B&G ( usually it’s the opposite).  But AP sitting and Smallwood playing ( especially if Guice is rusty and not ready for game day NFL speed ) then not looking good. 

4 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

You answered your own question here.

yep and its a risk Jay has been living with, with every player every game every week.  Its basically been a horror show in his head. Imagine all the guys he had to release to allow a guy to stay off IR but not play for x number of weeks. Starting this year with Jordan Reed leading the charge of having to set shelf, AND it costing him a roster player.

13 minutes ago, justice98 said:

Timing is everything.  AP has to be thinking he could be home in Houston right now getting lead back carries instead of inactive for a guy that was cut a week ago.  Had he known when he re-signed this was how it was gonna play out.  Through no fault of his own.  Not like he lost his job on merit.

O cmon, you are telling me they couldn't have deactivated a 3rd string lineman or a backup LB, Why would you deactivate your #2 runningback !? Positional needs aside then there is the whole psychology aspect to it, where now we have a unhappy and dejected future Hall of fame running back pouting in the locker room. You really think the vets on our team approve or like this decision ? What a jack ass Gruden is.

Bad business all-around. No way AP should be inactive leading up to a game. 

Figure out a plan that works then both in. If I see Guice running drags or option type routes that require a higher level receiving type skill that AP doesn’t have, I’ll be a tad better with it...

But,

If it’s drop off type passes or screen catching, this is everything AP is totally fine at doing. 

A big believer in energy — AP is a huge plus, in this regard. His intangibles are through the roof. 

17 minutes ago, justice98 said:

Yes, that's the reason behind it. But you need to ask yourself if we then made the right roster construction. You know Reed is kinda injury prone and has had lot of concussion issues. We could have chosen to carry 4 TEs and 3 RBs. You then let A.P. go. Sure it hurts but then it's done. I understand they like to keep A.P. If Guice gets hurt you want him to step in for a couple of games. 

But the way they now handle it, just makes us look bad. You create an awkward situation. 

it may be just Jay asserting his leadership.  AP may have over spoken his thoughts on starting. Or been vocal about Trent. Whatever pure speculation.

Tough **** its high time to stop being a players coach and lay down the law.  Being Mr Nice guy guarantees him a bunch of happy players and a 6-10 record.

AP didn't play in preseason, did he?  That does not point to a guy to be active in week 1.

1 minute ago, wilco_holland said:

Yes, that's the reason behind it. But you need to ask yourself if we then made the right roster construction. You know Reed is kinda injury prone and has had lot of concussion issues. We could have chosen to carry 4 TEs and 3 RBs. You then let A.P. go. Sure it hurts but then it's done. I understand they like to keep A.P. If Guice gets hurt you want him to step in for a couple of games. 

But the way they now handle it, just makes us look bad. You create an awkward situation. 

I agree.

Forecasting this situation is a must on part of coaches and FO. This is AP, it will linger nationally, no matter what takes place. A win today led by Guice will still require some damage control on part of players and coaches. 

I dont see a scenario where having both isn’t of great value, especially when considering how the offense is expected to play this year. You’d expect there to be 6-10 games with 40 carries to go around. 

2 hours ago, TryTheBeal! said:

Smallwood has 10 starts in this league, so he’s perfectly capable of serving as a change of pace guy for us...or anyone.  We all saw AP get ground down last year...he had next to nothing left in December.  So, I suppose we’re looking to keep him fresh for the stretch.  And there’s nothing crazy about wanting to do that.

Earlier this week, Case said something to the effect that we were gonna come out “all guns blazing”.  Making AP inactive certainly lends some credence to that.

Personally, I’d prefer to have him active.

Did AP get ground down or did we run out of offensive linemen? I think it's the latter.

Archived