Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Welcome to the Washington Redskins Derrius Guice RB LSU

PCS

40 minutes ago, desertbeagle85 said:

As it should be

The only reason Peterson is here is because Guice got hurt last year.

You aren't going to get an argument from me, my man crush on Guice extends back to his LSU days, it should be fun to finally see it come to fore in less than a week.  Peterson though is a stud, too. 

24 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

You aren't going to get an argument from me, my man crush on Guice extends back to his LSU days, it should be fun to finally see it come to fore in less than a week.  Peterson though is a stud, too. 

I mean wouldn't you just love him to do a Portis and take that first carry 60+yards for the score :headbang:

55 minutes ago, desertbeagle85 said:

Gruden is the Coach. He hasn't been creative yet. So I don't expect him to be creative now. 

The intrigue this year is with the personnel as opposed to the scheme. Gruden has potential upside at his skill positions with a talented young wide receiver core, and a stable of running backs and presumably a mostly healthy Jordan Reed. A potential Franchise Quarterback. I'm excited to see improved separation and YAC. Outside of quick screens, motion and PA on first down; I don't see very many creative tweaks.  A coach on the hot seat isn't going to experiment. 

3 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I am a big believer in Guice to the extent that I think he can be a top 5 back in this league.  But I would not ride him too hard early in the season coming off of an ACL.  I guess the one guy who showed he can be better than ever off of an ACL injury was Peterson.  But typically it takes some time.  

He's cleared to play. He wouldn't be if there seemed to be a problem with his knee. He's also his own person. So if he feels like he needs to take a step back. He'll have to relay that to the coaches. He's looked good all camp and he looked good in preseason. I think he'll be fine and I'm not worried about him. If he happened to blow out a knee again. Lets be clear, he's probably done either way if that happens. Don't worry we've got another guy recovering from ACL tear. He'll be up ready to go in the future if Guice can't make it. 

I'm a huge believer in Guice. 

He has a lot to live up to behind this OL, when it comes to replacing what AP did last year...it wasn't just our eyes, AP avoids tackles and makes something out of nothing at a pretty elite rate, even at his age:

I think Guice is even better tbh. 

4 hours ago, BayouBrave86 said:

Guice will be a future all-pro RB. Like you guys, I’m just hoping we don’t run him too hard the first few games. Let him get adjusted. 

I don't think you need to worry, AP looked great in the preseason and being as competitive as he is he will run hard for us and try to stay on the field as long as possible. Our backfield is going to be something special this season. AP will start and when he gets gassed, Guice will come in and punish the defense some more. We could really wear some teams down this season.

1 hour ago, JoeJacobyHOForRIOT said:

I don't think you need to worry, AP looked great in the preseason and being as competitive as he is he will run hard for us and try to stay on the field as long as possible. Our backfield is going to be something special this season. AP will start and when he gets gassed, Guice will come in and punish the defense some more. We could really wear some teams down this season.

Pretty sure Guice is going to start as Gruden said the offense will be going through him this year.  AP will relieve Guice when HE gets gassed. Hail

57 minutes ago, Riggo'sRangers said:

Pretty sure Guice is going to start as Gruden said the offense will be going through him this year.  AP will relieve Guice when HE gets gassed. Hail

Yeah you are right, I just checked , Im pretty shocked and not thrilled with this decision. Not because Guice isn't as good i just don't see AP being content with playing back-up where as Guice would be fine with the role, at least at this point in his early career.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/redskins-depth-chart-2019-washingtons-week-1-starters-now-set-optimism-builds-around-potential-trent-williams-return/

2 hours ago, JoeJacobyHOForRIOT said:

Yeah you are right, I just checked , Im pretty shocked and not thrilled with this decision. Not because Guice isn't as good i just don't see AP being content with playing back-up where as Guice would be fine with the role, at least at this point in his early career.

I fear you may be correct in this accessment.  There was evidently some conflict within the coaching ranks this last weekend, per reports (if memory serves me correctly), regarding just this.  One person mentioned was Gruden.  He became/is weary of AP being in his ear constantly regarding playing time.  In fact, I think some wanted AP gone. It could be tumultuous initially, but Guice, and Love, are our future.  I guess we will see in short order how it all plays out. Hail 

11 hours ago, JoeJacobyHOForRIOT said:

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/redskins-depth-chart-2019-washingtons-week-1-starters-now-set-optimism-builds-around-potential-trent-williams-return/

Sure its likely Jay's last year, and he by all indications is a players coach.  But at some point I think it's prudent for a coach to lay down the law.  Like cutting a player that gets burned badly early in the year.  A sacrificial lamb.  We had a few last year, but it was TOO late in the year to make a difference.

Football is a bunch of dudes but they need leadership, and there has to be respect.  If they don't see Jay as a leader I think it hurts his ability to get the most out of the players; they just do what they want.  At some point, players will push too far. See ya.

I really want to see a fresh AP, fresh in every game, coming into the game especially late, and drive nails into coffins. When we have a lead and a D knows we will run, that is where Jay's predictability issues are minimized, and AP's jump cuts around unblocked D will be great for us. It also opens a HUGE door. D's load the box in the OBVIOUS run look and we can KILL Ds with PAP.  We fool ourselves using AP when the D knows we have to pass, for they don't have to account for him.

AP may think he is superman but reality is he incurs injuries like everyone else; he just has a high tolerance for pain and strong work ethic. The injuries will impede him one way or another. He is not superman. He has had major injuries and missed time.

AP with no injuries (full healthy all year via a light load) and no ego issue with Jay = fantastic asset for our offense.  I think he will end up making more money in the rest of this career in that type of role, vs demanding to be the workhorse back (or trade me).

8 minutes ago, RandyHolt said:

Sure its likely Jay's last year, and he by all indications is a players coach.  But at some point I think it's prudent for a coach to lay down the law.  Like cutting a player that gets burned badly early in the year.  A sacrificial lamb.  We had a few last year, but it was TOO late in the year to make a difference.

Football is a bunch of dudes but they need leadership, and there has to be respect.  If they don't see Jay as a leader I think it hurts his ability to get the most out of the players; they just do what they want.  At some point, it will go too far.

I really want to see a fresh AP, fresh in every game via a lighter workload, coming in to the game especially late, and drive nails into coffins.

He may think he is superman but reality is he incurs injuries like everyone else; he just has a high tolerance for pain. The injuries will impede him one way or another. He is not superman. He has had major injuries and missed time.

AP with no injuries (full healthy all year via a light load) and no ego issue with Jay = fantastic asset for our offense. 

Couldn't agree more...I think AP will still get a good amount of touches, and if Guice is producing, he can't really say anything about him getting more. AP is an ultra competitor without a doubt, but that could be a good thing. I mean, they pulled him off the scrap heap last year and resurrected his career. Then paid him a good amount to come back. I would be shocked if he causes any problems from that stand point. 

10 minutes ago, dballer said:

Couldn't agree more...I think AP will still get a good amount of touches, and if Guice is producing, he can't really say anything about him getting more. AP is an ultra competitor without a doubt, but that could be a good thing. I mean, they pulled him off the scrap heap last year and resurrected his career. Then paid him a good amount to come back. I would be shocked if he causes any problems from that stand point. 

I agree AP will get plenty of touches - if he is patient. Guice may have a fumble, or get injured. Or hopefully, after long runs/heavy use, be gassed.  It's a long season and everything that happens in every game is almost completely unpredictable.  No team in the history of the sport has ever used just 1 back.  Maybe Sammy Baugh aside.

IMHO Jay coming out and saying the offense is going to go through Guice was obvious pushback at AP. Why in the world would Jay otherwise tell Phillies D to key on Guice???

Heck at this point I want Jay to open PAP since they have been told by our head coach to focus on stopping Guice.   Mind you, not that Phillies D is scared of our passing game but still, what would the king do. Would Bellycheck tell his week 1 opponent what his plan is?  **** no!   Anything you say should be a lie. If you **** up and tell the truth, change the plan.

It's not rocket science, is it?

2 minutes ago, RandyHolt said:

I agree AP will get plenty of touches - if he is patient. Guice may have a fumble, or get injured. Or hopefully, after long runs/heavy use, be gassed.  It's a long season and everything that happens in every game is almost completely unpredictable.

IMHO Jay coming out and saying the offense is going to go through Guice was obvious pushback at AP. Why in the world would Jay otherwise tell Phillies D to key on Guice???

Heck at this point I want Jay to open PAP since they have been told by our head coach to focus on stopping Guice.   Mind you, not that Phillies D is scared of our passing game but still, what would the king do. Would Bellycheck tell his week 1 opponent what his plan is?  **** no! 

lol. Maybe Jay said that knowing that Philly wouldn't think he would actually tell the gameplan, therefore surprising them by actually doing what he said. Jay's playing 3d chess!

But, the problem is, Jay is super honest in interviews sometimes. He may have simply said what he thinks. I doubt it is a shock to anyone. Philly won't have to change their game plan to defend Guice rather than AP, and I am sure everyone on earth expected them to run the offense through the RB. 

PAP first play would be awesome. Richardson and McLaurin deep. I would LOVE it. Set a tone! lol

19 minutes ago, dballer said:

lol. Maybe Jay said that knowing that Philly wouldn't think he would actually tell the gameplan, therefore surprising them by actually doing what he said. Jay's playing 3d chess!

But, the problem is, Jay is super honest in interviews sometimes. He may have simply said what he thinks. I doubt it is a shock to anyone. Philly won't have to change their game plan to defend Guice rather than AP, and I am sure everyone on earth expected them to run the offense through the RB. 

PAP first play would be awesome. Richardson and McLaurin deep. I would LOVE it. Set a tone! lol

Great post! 2 push backs. It's more like 1D checkers, not 3D chess.

2nd. I think it was even a shock to extremeskinsfans to hear that AP was not the starter. I bet many still do not even know. Philly was RIPE to game plan for the wrong guy.   In our fans minds they handed the job to AP based on him surviving last year with no blockers. The time honored tradition of the proven vet stud back slowly handing the ball off to the new hotshot rookie, is still etched into many football purists minds.  Jay said "**** that".  I think that was the plan to start, but may have gotten pissed off and ripped that band-aid off to show his authority.

Jay is in the zone. He is feelin' it.  Watch out. If he had enough hair to let down, he would. Maybe Ryan can help him out.  Jay needs to look out for Jay this year and it starts with no more favors to players.  That is all code for, he is going deep. And if Case and Colt cannot do it, he will turn to Haskins to save his job. 

His huge grin on that Haskins deep TD said more than he ever said at a podium.

58 minutes ago, RandyHolt said:

Sure its likely Jay's last year, and he by all indications is a players coach.

This seems to be the general consensus, but I'm not convinced that he'll get fired if we struggle.  He's got another year left on his contract.  We drafted him a quarterback, I think he's going to get another year and whether or not he gets another extension is going to depend on how Haskins looks in the 2020 season.

Archived