Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Welcome to the Washington Redskins Derrius Guice RB LSU

PCS

Welcome to the Redskins young man. Happy running. :) 

DERRIUS GUICE 

RB LSU

2560101.png&f=png&w=308&c=71

HEIGHT 5' 11"
WEIGHT 224 lbs
ARMS 30 3/4”
HANDS 9 3/4

Prospect Grade

SHOULD BECOME INSTANT STARTER

40 Yard Dash

SECONDS

Bench Press

REPS

Vertical Jump

INCHES

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/derrius-guice?id=32462018-0002-5601-017c-b2cb76f248b4

Analysis

In most cases, it would be tough for a team to lose an excellent backfield talent like Leonard Fournette. Fournette's injuries in 2016, however, gave Guice the opportunity to prove he could handle the starting job. He used his exceptional balance, violent running style, and speed to lead the SEC in rushing (1,387 yards) and rushing touchdowns for running backs (15) despite starting just six of 12 games played. The first-team All-SEC pick set a school record with 285 yards against Texas A&M and ranked fifth in the country with 7.6 yards per attempt on the year. He was named MVP of the Citrus Bowl with 138 yards and a score in the win over Louisville. Guice was banged-up himself early in the 2017 season, but managed to start 11 of 12 games played, receiving second-team All-SEC notice after rushing for 1,251 yards and 11 touchdowns on 237 carries (18 receptions, 124 yards, two touchdowns receiving). The five-star prospect from Baton Rouge (all-state pick with 1,341 rushing yards, 21 touchdowns, 617 receiving yards as a senior) plays with anger stored in his body since his father was murdered when he was seven. He played in every game as a true freshman in 2015, averaging 8.5 yards on 51 carries and scoring three times when Fournette was unavailable. Guice has produced as a kick returner in his two years with the Tigers, gaining 472 yards on 20 attempts in 2015 and 223 yards on 11 tries in 2016.

Overview

Evaluating Guice requires settling in for two full seasons of tape study as he was only healthy a fraction of the 2017 season. While Guice has some elusiveness and long speed, much of his success comes from his furious running style and ability to create yardage after contact. Guice's yards per touch was two yards higher over his first two seasons compared to last year. Like Leonard Fournette the year before, teams may be willing to lock in on his sophomore tape to create their evaluations and grades. Guice's running style could lead to a shorter career, but he has a chance to make a big splash early.

Strengths

Completely different talent on healthy 2016 tape as opposed to injured 2017

Well built combining powerful lower body with good overall size

Winning combination of speed, power and balance

Good recognition of early trouble from penetration and makes alterations

Has quality vision and is able to make sudden cuts without rolling into low gear

Rarely rushes as interior runner

Sets up blocks and follows the plan

Gathers weight quickly after cuts and re-establishes his base

Exceptional contact balance carrying power to punish second-level tacklers

Can create his own fortune

Has footwork and athleticism to spin out of tackle attempts

Able to push piles

Shows ability to impose his will in the fourth quarter

Angle tackles won't get it done

Possesses homerun capability when he finds open field

Not a classic third-down back, but can pick up patches of yards out of backfield

*click link for more* 

Ok... who’s the one making these draft picks for the Redskins? We got Da’Ron Payne in the 1st used our extra 5th round pick and traded back in the 2nd to recoup our lost 3rd round pick AND still got Derrius Guice? I’m shocked but very pleased.

Could not be happier we got him! I wanted him at 13 and to grab him that late is just unbelievable to me. He’s goi g to be a superstar in this league. He’s just as good as Fournette, if not better. We are all in for an awesome next 5-7 years with this guy running the ball for us. He is a savage. I’ve seen a lot of great RBs come through LSU and he’s the best I’ve  seen along with Fournette.

Knowing we wouldn't get Saquon Barkley, this is the guy I wanted. I'm not a very savvy college ball guy so I'm sure there's good reason he went late but I would have (foolishly) grabbed him at 13. I sweat my way thru the second round until we got him. I hope this goes well.

20 minutes ago, BayouBrave86 said:

Could not be happier we got him! I wanted him at 13 and to grab him that late is just unbelievable to me. He’s goi g to be a superstar in this league. He’s just as good as Fournette, if not better. We are all in for an awesome next 5-7 years with this guy running the ball for us. He is a savage. I’ve seen a lot of great RBs come through LSU and he’s the best I’ve  seen along with Fournette.

Right there with you!  This is a value pick if I’ve ever seen one.  The nfc east is loaded at running back and we’ve got one of our own!

6 minutes ago, HTTRDynasty said:

Love this from the article, "I already ran angry," he said on the radio. "This just heats it up 10 times more. Everybody that passed on me, it's going to be crazy when I get back on the field."

Archived