Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Welcome to the Washington Redskins Derrius Guice RB LSU

PCS

2 minutes ago, Mr. Sinister said:

Gruden sends Guice smacking into the back of an O linemans fat ass on 1st down for the fifteenth time he doesnt just collapse in a heap.

Nah.

Guice knows how find those holes and avoid that ass. :)

This isn't Perine we are talking about.

26 minutes ago, JoeJacobyHOForRIOT said:

You knew we weren't about to be outdone by the Raiders and all that AB drama

giphy.gif

Lets bench A.P.

Well we don't like to be outdone in this area but I  think Jay and Allen put in a little more effort to match or surpass the Raiders. I'm sure they are working on it.

Look, we're a big underdog in this game out of the gate, so I don't think we need to win this game for Jay to be vindicated for this decision...

...but after DG ends up with 120+ rushing yards, and at least one TD, and we as a bare minimum stay competitive in this game, some of y'all dang near owe some apologies after this craziness, lol. 

Ready for kickoff, let's gooooooo

7 minutes ago, LetThePointsSoar said:

Look, we're a big underdog in this game out of the gate, so I don't think we need to win this game for Jay to be vindicated for this decision...

...but after DG ends up with 120+ rushing yards, and at least one TD, and we as a bare minimum stay competitive in this game, some of y'all dang near owe some apologies after this craziness, lol. 

Ready for kickoff, let's gooooooo

This isn't about thinking AP would be more effective than Guice. There will be no apologies regardless of how well Guice plays...because he needs to come off the field at some point, and our backup option is now worse. AP against a defense that Guice has battered and bruised, or vice versa, was near the top of everyone's wishlist, right? Let's not pretend this is oh-so-logical now when we had AP-Perine-CT active every game last year and made up those ST's snaps elsewhere. 

12 minutes ago, nonniey said:

But wasn't Perine active every game last year?

Probably was, but the point of my post wasn't whether AP should be active or not.

It was another poster saying Guice was just going to spend the game running into the backs of his OL, and I was saying no, because he is not Perine. :)

16 minutes ago, LetThePointsSoar said:

Even if the skins won in dominating fashion I would still think it was a bad decision.  

I do do hope Guice comes out and lites it up though. 

1 hour ago, KDawg said:

Disclaimer: I wouldn’t have done this. AP as an active back up makes sense.

but...

Jay doesn’t like AP in his ear. Having him active allows that to happen, which distracts him. AP also doesn’t play on special teams. 

To be contrarian to myself: keeping him active gives a workhorse backup option, keeps wear and tear off or Guice, keeps the offensive MVP active and avoids locker room bull****.

Jay/management is immune to success. I think that is what it is. I think they enjoy failure. Must be a BDSM thing or something with those clowns.

As for AP being inactive, I don't get it.

During the week, I didn't think that would be the plan, but apparently it was.

The only reason I see them doing this besides the lame reasoning of ST play, is for Guice to be the guy.

If Guice starts a little slow early, there might have been calls by some (maybe many) to bench him and put in Peterson.

By doing this, Gruden assures that the team, the players, the fans are all in on Guice.

No going back.

Let's play some football. :815:

10 minutes ago, SkinsGuy said:

The only reason I see them doing this besides the lame reasoning of ST play, is for Guice to be the guy.

If Guice starts a little slow early, there might have been calls by some (maybe many) to bench him and put in Peterson.

By doing this, Gruden assures that the team, the players, the fans are all in on Guice.

No going back.

Let's play some football. :815:

This would never have been an issue. He's a RB, not a QB. You can rotate them freely without fans caring, especially when one is coming off an ACL. No need to be "all-in" emotionally on a RB, it's a committee position across the league and highly dependent on the rest of the roster (and playcalling) for success except in special cases. 

5 minutes ago, SkinsGuy said:

If Guice starts a little slow early, there might have been calls by some (maybe many) to bench him and put in Peterson

You know it is the kid's game coming from a pretty severe injury.  Why workhorse the hell out of him in the first game. You balance it and then let him loose by the 3rd or 4th game if he can handle it. It is nice to have the luxury of an AP for a bit of break.  

Has little to do with Guice imo. Its a depth issue. AP is still a starter quality back who you could have spell a dude coming off a bad acl injury. Your top 2 RB's are now 2 guys with recently injured legs, along with a guy who's been here for 5 minutes, and a line that's been very hit/miss with their run blocking, and a HC who loves telegraphing his run calls.

This smells.

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I get the logic of what Jay is doing.  It doesn't sound crazy at all

I'm not sure what logic you're referring to or what doesn't sound crazy.  Could you please elaborate?

----------------------------------------------

10 second hypothetical:

Your team lacks play makers on offense, your best (at least most proven) pass-catcher is out with a concussion, your WRs are, at best, unproven. 

Do you want MORE options at the skill position or LESS options?

What should have taken place over the last 2 weeks was a concerted effort to figure out how to get both AP and Guice touches, and even potentially have them on the field at the same time at times.  Because that would be new and different, and the Eagles couldn't prepare for it. 

A coach's job is to take the talent they are given and maximize that talent.  

I think it's pretty clear in this instance the Redskins are not a better team on the field with AP on the sidelines.  And by putting him on the sidelines, the Redskins decided to remove one of their best weapons on their own.

This was a bad move, and there's just no getting around it.  Good organizations don't do things like this. They get the best players on the roster on the field and they figure out how to get the most productivity from them.  They don't sit what could be one of the top 5 players on the entire team.  

8 minutes ago, Mr. Sinister said:

Has little to do with Guice imo. Its a depth issue. AP is still a starter quality back who you could have spell a dude coming off a bad acl injury. Your top 2 RB's are now 2 guys with recently injured legs, along with a guy who's been here for 5 minutes, and a line that's been very hit/miss with their run blocking, and a HC who loves telegraphing his run calls.

This smells.

If I was wearing a tin hat, this feels like a "I didn't want AP, I wanted Perine, so here's what I'm going to do" type of thing.  

Instead of figuring out how to maximize  productivity from both Guice and AP, which is the thing that should have been going on since, well, May.  

2 hours ago, wit33 said:

An argument could be made the Skins best player is inactive today. 

An argument can be made Jay decided Guice is a much better fit for his offense. Antonio Brown would be the best player on many rosters yet was a free agent yesterday.

And an argument could be made that best cannot be defined until all players play one game. AP is our most proven RB - but we see backs every year that no one knew would be doing fine. Or dominating more than AP did. Last year...  CJ Anderson? Damien Williams.. there were more. 

Theory maybe its also a courtesy to Guice to not be looking over his shoulder. I don't know if that is a thing or not but we always hear RBs need to be the guy, get lots of carries, to be effective. 

9 minutes ago, RandyHolt said:

Theory maybe its also a courtesy to Guice to not be looking over his shoulder. I don't know if that is a thing or not but we always hear RBs need to be the guy, get lots of carries, to be effective. 

That's not how the modern NFL really works any more, but it would fit with the fact that we seem to be behind on everything as a franchise. 

11 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

I'm not sure what logic you're referring to or what doesn't sound crazy.  Could you please elaborate?

----------------------------------------------

10 second hypothetical:

Your team lacks play makers on offense, your best (at least most proven) pass-catcher is out with a concussion, your WRs are, at best, unproven. 

Do you want MORE options at the skill position or LESS options?

The Eagles are particularly vulnerable to RBs who catch in space -- I posted a stat on that front from Silva on another thread.  So doubling up with 2 RBs who can do that makes sense.   One of whom is bent on revenge on his old team -- all of which isn't crazy.

Also, coming from a dude that arguably is the lead cheerleader of the Guice bandwagon starting from the fall of 2017 --  I totally get their hype about making him the lead dog and to mix in 2 scat back types who can catch the ball.  

If that logic is crazy to you.  Then hey whatever floats your boat.  I like Peterson, I've probably posted as much on the Peterson thread as anyone.  And I flat out said I'd have Peterson active.  But the fact that they didn't do it doesn't feel crazy to me.  I get the logic albeit I disagree with it. 

11 minutes ago, RandyHolt said:

An argument can be made Jay decided Guice is a much better fit for his offense. Antonio Brown would be the best player on many rosters yet was a free agent yesterday.

And an argument could be made that best cannot be defined until all players play one game. AP is our most proven RB - but we see backs every year that no one knew would be doing fine. Or dominating more than AP did. Last year...  CJ Anderson? Damien Williams.. there were more. 

Guice might be a better fit for Gruden's offense.  In which case, Gruden should adapt his offense so he can use 2 of the most talented skill position players on the roster.

If you can't figure out how to use a 1000 yard back from last year, then God help you. 

18 minutes ago, Cougarrick said:

Gotta be a good reason for AP not playing. 

Does there thought?

5 minutes ago, RandyHolt said:

I don’t have an extreme position. Just feel that AP has great value and this was an out of left field type move. Guice is no doubt the future and a guy who appears increases in value in being a physical presence consistently throughout a game. 

Many running backs can succeed if the system is solid, RPO QB, or an elite pocket QB, but only rare ones (AP) can carry an offense with elite running traits. 

Guice doesnt appear wired in a way to worry about another dude threatening his position. But I hear ya. 

1 minute ago, Skinsinparadise said:

The Eagles are particularly vulnerable to RBs who catch in space -- I posted a stat on that front from Silva on another thread.  So doubling up with 2 RBs who can do that makes sense.   One of whom is bent on revenge on his old team -- all of which isn't crazy.

They have 2 of those in Guice and CT.

Also, coming from a dude that arguably is the lead cheerleader of the Guice bandwagon starting from the fall of 2017 --  I totally get their hype about making him the lead dog and to mix in 2 scat back types who can catch the ball.  

I don't mind him being the lead back.  But he hasn't had 1 regular season carry and was cleared for contact in week 3 of the pre-season.  I mean, having another proven back active who had 1000 yards for the team last year seems like it would make a lot of sense.  

If that logic is crazy to you.  Then hey whatever floats your boat.  I like Peterson, I've probably posted as much on the Peterson thread as anyone.  And I flat out said I'd have Peterson active.  But the fact that they didn't do it doesn't feel crazy to me.  I get the logic albeit I disagree with it. 

It's not crazy for this organization.  But it's not what winning organizations do, sidelining their most productive offensive player from the previous year for an un-proven guy coming off an injury, backed up by another guy coming off of an injury and a guy they picked up last week.  

4 minutes ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

Redskins fans a week ago: Man i cant Wait for guice to be the workhorse and get 100+ a game!!

redskins fans now: what?? Benching AP?? This team is ridiculous!!

:P (saw this on Twitter, don’t hurt the messenger!!!) 

They aren't related lines of thought at all.

Archived