Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2018 Draft Day Thread

Wildbunny

Just now, mistertim said:

What an absolutely awful pick. Biggest ****ing reach imaginable. I certainly hope Payne suddenly becomes an impact player. But I think we just drafted a high motor JAG at 13 overall with James and Edmunds staring us in the face. I don't even give a **** about the rest of draft right now to be honest. Waste of a pick.

So instead of 2 freak of nature impact players we reach for Payne. Good grief

just look back at previous drafts to see what a crapshoot it really is.  3-6 of the players taken before us will be considered average within a few years.  If you like the pick, great enjoy the feeling.  If you don't like it, well all you can do is hope you are wrong and he turns out great.  We all fall in love with certain guys pre-draft, it usually doesn't mean much in the end.  We as fans never had any control of the draft anyway so just hope for the best.

Washington Redskins: Da'Ron Payne, NT, Alabama B Grade 
The Buccaneers broke the Redskins' hearts by selecting Vita Vea oen pick before them. Fortunately, there's one other stud nose tackle in this class, and Washington was able to obtain him. 

Payne is a solid choice for the Redskins, as he reunites with Jonathan Allen on the defensive line. The Redskins were woeful versus the run late last year, and Payne will definitely be able to help in that regard.

Read more: http://walterfootball.com/nfldraftgrades.php#ixzz5DpgNt5A1

Read more at http://walterfootball.com/nfldraftgrades.php#7W6DPmbgAv2zpWgW.99

I wanted a trade back, but I am happy to get a defensive lineman. From what I've read Payne has good athletic skills, he's always around the ball, so he has good instincts, but is a bit raw. It's probably a reach, but it was the right position. We haven't been able to slow the rush for three years. We've drafted so many safties high... and it hasn't led to a good D.

NFL Network seems to like the pick.

Payne possesses one of the most impressive combinations of strength and athleticism that we've seen from an interior lineman. He will be the premier run-stuffer in this draft, but he may have enough in the pass rushing toolbox to project as a better pro than college pass rusher. Payne is a game-ready starter who immediately upgrades a defense's ability to slow the run. If teams view him as just a run-down player, then his draft value could fall a little, but he could become a Pro Bowl defender early in his career.

Just now, Bigmuss1 said:

Hope Payne plays well, I feel like we could have got him in the second round......tough to be real happy when a freak like James was sitting there.  

No way  Payne falls that far. No one has had him past 15-18 range I've read.

Archived