Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2018 Draft Day Thread

Wildbunny

3 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Chris Thompson ran well with this offensive line.   Yeah the LG and TE blocking could be much better but Thompson managed anyway.  The rest didn't manage because IMO they are Jags.

Perine was coming into his own behind this line and then Bibbs began to look good. It's not just the players or the line is been the maturity, the discipline, and predictability. 

2 minutes ago, volsmet said:

Mike Debord was picking on the OSU corners throwing to Cobbs one on one all evening. Urban got pissed off about the abuse at one point & switched corners, but it didnt help. Simmie ate up the #4 pick in the draft.

Also saw that he was a possible 3rd talent,his 40 time was a question(4.63 I think I saw)..I can live with that all day!!..this kid looks like he could be a decent threat if coached up right,Good Pickup!!

I see many people whining about how bad LG was last year and from the games I watched (have them all dvr'ed and rewatch often) when the Oline was healthy we were pretty good except in short yardage. Lavaou was meh and when Catalina had to play he was awful, Bergstrom was getting walked back into the QB (see Giants game) and Clemmings was awful. Arie played way better than the rest of them and I believe he will be better this year but I agree that we need better quality depth for the interior OL and I believe that Kalis and some of the new UDFA guards will improve our team as will Guice and the RBs we have.

3 hours ago, TK said:

These might be the Draft results one of you is actually looking for. :)

Round 1, Pick 30 (No. 30 overall) Mike Hughes, DB, UCF

Round 2, Pick 30 (No. 62 overall): Brian O'Neill, OT, Pittsburgh

Round 4, Pick 2 (No. 102 overall): Jalyn Holmes, DE, Ohio State

Round 5, Pick 20 (No. 157 overall): Tyler Conklin, TE, Central Michigan

Round 5, Pick 30 (No. 167 overall): Daniel Carlson, K, Auburn

Round 6, Pick 39 (No. 213 overall): Colby Gossett, G, Appalachian State

Round 6, Pick 44 (No. 218 overall): Ade Aruna, DE, Tulane

Round 7, Pick 7 (No. 225 overall) Devante Downs, LB, California

Mike Hughes lived in Gardner City for 2 years and didn't gauge his eyes out he's at the very least resilient. 

There won't be a new left guard. Lauvao will play (if healthy) because we have two studs and one all-world and, turned a 7th round pick into a good starter. Offensive line is not a weakness. The guy that delivers pizza to our third string offensive line had to play because even the third string offensive linemen were dropping like flies so yes, our fourth string offensive line didn't play very well last season. 

1 hour ago, Berggy9598 said:

There won't be a new left guard. Lauvao will play (if healthy) because we have two studs and one all-world and, turned a 7th round pick into a good starter. Offensive line is not a weakness. The guy that delivers pizza to our third string offensive line had to play because even the third string offensive linemen were dropping like flies so yes, our fourth string offensive line didn't play very well last season. 

Don't sell Welsh short or Parris (UDFAs) wouldn't surprise me if Welsh  ends up starting.

11 hours ago, Veryoldschool said:

Amazing OL when healthy?  You're not talking about the Skins offensive line.  The Skins can't run block to save their ass.  They have to pass on 3rd and short and when close to the goal line because they can't open holes and impose their will when needed.   When healthy they pass block well but run block?  No way and they should've addressed it last year and this year.

Reed can't stay healthy, he is a great player when healthy but he's had some many concussions and other injuries.  Vernon Davis is great but a young TE is needed, maybe Sprinkle is that guy and he hasn't seen the field enough to show us.

The general consensus is this is an outstanding Skins draft?  I hope that is correct I just don't feel that way.

It is just so bizarre to me that several fans are critical of this draft.  This team's defense was horrible, downright horrible.  And as we all know a dominant NT has been one of the big missing links, as well as DL depth overall as we saw when Allen and Matt I went down. So they finally filled that need with one of the top 2 NTs, the one who was actually more productive.  Then they doubled down and got another one who was productive in college in round 5 to add needed depth and a good developmental player.

A bigger need was a legit RB, it was written everywhere that Alex Smith needs a top RB who can be a player maker to be effective and we haven't had one in a long time. Not only did they draft the 2nd best RB in this draft they did it while trading back and capturing the missing 3rd rounder.  Next they gave Smith more help with a swing tackle with huge upside, we all remember the names that were playing OT last year after the injuries. Then they made a great investment in an ILB with again a ton of upside.  They filled out their draft with more players at need positions, specifically safety and special teams depth and possible a punt returner which was yet another need.  They have Jordan Reed, Vernon Davis and a young player in Sprinkle who showed promise, TE is very very far down the list of needs.

I'm still very concerned about LG but they can't fill every need in one offseason, and that need may be filled yet.  Their short yardage problems may have already been addressed.  The RB is better and that was a major part of the short yardage problems. They switched out a center who never was more than a guy and a player IMO who nearly as big of a problem as the previous LG who also stunk and is gone.  At least for now. 

I really don't understand how fans can't be happy with this weekend.   They needed to get tougher, upgrade the defensive, specifically the DL and find a top RB. They did all that and more. 

5 hours ago, Berggy9598 said:

Lauvao is no longer a Redskin player, his contract ended at the end of the season. We should NOT re-sign him he's not good enough.

HTTR 

7 hours ago, volsmet said:

So, there is no such thing as a legitimately good value. Interesting.

Then the question becomes why did all the other teams not covet legit great value. Did GMs lose their minds? Fact is they were scared off, so value talk is short cutting the real answer. Almost every team would have gotten legit GREAT value, even in the late 1st. Traditionally it's the Pats unafraid.

Again, why was Bruce the only one with the stones to do it?  Interesting indeed, that Bruce was the one to take him in the era of hyper sensitivity WRT any perceived issues with players. The answer may be closer to desperation than value, and pressure to field a winner.  Our draft went so well, maybe it wasn't even Bruce making the final calls.  I thought I read somewhere that Oakland was rumored in his future.

1 hour ago, bedlamVR said:

I think an interesting statement this weekend was the skins finally have an identity which we have been searching for for a long time ... 

i am not sure why so many ( some irrational) are critical of this draft ... 

I am thinking that Smith is making a HUGE impression on our team in the FO.

5 hours ago, wilco_holland said:

This draft class plus udfa is the most fun in years. I like most of guys, could see them be impact players. 

On paper this is a good draft. Maybe this Kyle Smith guy (our main scout) is our young FO gem.

That's my thoughts too.  Smith is the main reason for the upgrades in our drafting.  Just a guess.

9 hours ago, Thinking Skins said:

Perine was coming into his own behind this line and then Bibbs began to look good. It's not just the players or the line is been the maturity, the discipline, and predictability. 

Any player can develop I agree.  But it just doesn't happen naturally for everyone where osmosis kicks in for all.   Talent matters.  I like Perine as a back up for example.  But he doesn't have much wiggle to him and has 4.65 speed.  On that third and one for example where he got stuffed in New Orleans -- I'd put money that Guice would have either dodged that player or pushed him off to get that one yard.  As Portis likes to say, you need RBs ideally who can make something out of nothing and ones where you need often at least 2 guys to bring him down.  That's Guice IMO.  That's not Perine or Bibbs.  There are plenty of RBs who light up the league immediately -- some of whom I touted before last years draft like Cook and Kamara.  It's not that I don't like Perine but I don't see special in the dude. 

13 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Any player can develop I agree.  But it just doesn't happen naturally for everyone where osmosis kicks in for all.   Talent matters.  I like Perine as a back up for example.  But he doesn't have much wiggle to him and has 4.65 speed.  On that third one for example where he got stuffed in New Orleans -- I'd put money that Guice would have either dodged that player or pushed him off to get that one yard.  As Portis likes to say, you need RBs ideally who can make something out of nothing and ones where you need often at least 2 guys to bring him down.  That's Guice IMO.  That's not Perine or Bibbs.  There are plenty of RBs who light up the league immediately -- some of whom I touted before last years draft like Cook and Kamara.  It's not that I don't like Perine but I don't see special in the dude. 

I totally agree and made the point earlier about the RBs being a part of the short yardage problem.  On top of an improved short yardage back we have not had an explosive running back who makes people miss and can take it to the house in forever. I'm not even sure Portis totally fits that description.  This was a HUGE pickup, it's can't be stated enough.  

I guess the icing on the cake is after this offseason we have added 4 picks to the draft next year.  Could it be also that we had a real GM for a year that showed then the way of doing things before he was gone.  Not taking credit away from what they did this offseason either.

12 minutes ago, skinsfan66 said:

I guess the icing on the cake is after this offseason we have added 4 picks to the draft next year.  Could it be also that we had a real GM for a year that showed then the way of doing things before he was gone.  Not taking credit away from what they did this offseason either.

I've thought about this...I really think they acctualy paid attention when Scott was here.. whatever the case may be according to y'all the front office did something right this draft sooooo.ya lol

14 minutes ago, skinsfan66 said:

I don't understand how Scot keeps getting any praise or credit. A real GM who picked an injured unimpressive WR in a DT rich draft and then Cravens, a childish nonposition safety instead of Davis or Bell. 

He hit on a guard with the 5th pick. I mean if that's not hitting a hallway with a hot dog, what is? Scots **** drafts, his idiotic football player rhetoric and his drunken drama set us back again. Now he's where he belongs. With the Browns ****ing up their draft. 

22 minutes ago, skinsfan66 said:

Why do people still worship Scott Mccloughan like he is a god? i really wasn't impressed with his drafts while he was here..People just need to accept maybe Doug ,Jay ,and Smith are good at making good draft decisions

6 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

I don't understand how Scot keeps getting any praise or credit. A real GM who picked an injured unimpressive WR in a DT rich draft and then Cravens, a childish nonposition safety instead of Davis or Bell. 

He hit on a guard with the 5th pick. I mean if that's not hitting a hallway with a hot dog, what is? Scots **** drafts, his idiotic football player rhetoric and his drunken drama set us back again. Now he's where he belongs. With the Browns ****ing up their draft. 

My wife and I said something very similar. Whom ever was in charge of this current draft did 100 times better than anything GMSM did in is time here. Definitely from a value stand point. The talent we’ll see in the years to come but no way this isn’t our best draft in years. 

5 minutes ago, skinsfan212689 said:

My wife and I said something very similar. Whom ever was in charge of this current draft did 100 times better than anything GMSM did in is time here. Definitely from a value stand point. The talent we’ll see in the years to come but no way this isn’t our best draft in years. 

Last year was excellent as well. I can see how people might give Scot credit there, but this year? No. 

We ****ed up with Kirk under Scot and under Bruce we ended up with a better QB for almost nothing and now have a stout Dline, bad ass RB, a young up and coming secondary, etc. 

And we are stacked going into next year's draft with key expensive players set to leave without hurting us. 

Last year was a clown show. This was the best off-season I can remember in a very long time. Let's see if it translates to wins. 

28 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

Don't be so hard on Doctson, bruh.:ols:

1 hour ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

I totally agree and made the point earlier about the RBs being a part of the short yardage problem.  On top of an improved short yardage back we have not had an explosive running back who makes people miss and can take it to the house in forever. I'm not even sure Portis totally fits that description.  This was a HUGE pickup, it's can't be stated enough.  

My disappointment with Perrine had to do with his power. I didn't expect for the huge runs, but I did think he'd be an answer in short yardage and be a good three yards and a cloud of dust runner because he was supposed to be so tough and strong.  He was not able to push the pile at all when we needed six inches.

57 minutes ago, skinsfan66 said:

Are you counting comp picks? I didn't realize we gained picks from our trades?

Archived