Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Fortune: Why It’s Time for America to Tax Meat

No Excuses

31 minutes ago, AsburySkinsFan said:

Carbs are bad when it is a huge amount of your diet. 

If your diet is almost entirely fruits and vegetables, a huge part of your diet will be carbs.

That's not bad for you.   A HUGE part of your diet SHOULD BE carbs.  With fiber being a carb, most of your diet should be carbs.

Carbs != sugar

3 minutes ago, PeterMP said:

If your diet is almost entirely fruits and vegetables, a huge part of your diet will be carbs.

That's not bad for you.   A HUGE part of your diet SHOULD BE carbs.  With fiber being a carb, most of your diet should be carbs.

Carbs != sugar

Look I get it, but when we’re talking about obescity we aren’t talking fruits and veggies. 

The diet today is heavy in sugars.

1 hour ago, mcsluggo said:

the chance is very very low that it is primarily vegans and vegetarians promoting this idea. 

....... i would say at MOST, it is a 99.7% probability .....   maybe 99.8%, going out on alimb

I heard the study was actually paid for by these 3...

1499129469_chik-fil-a-cows-s6-c30_t1070_h42f578760587a27445dcf9aa6b5b0148c8b93d05.jpg

Meat heavy diets are fairly strongly linked to high incidences of cancer and heart diseases. Over consumption of meat isn't even up for debate in terms of the American diet.

It really wouldn't hurt this country if people bought less meat. And it's pretty obvious that educational campaigns about balanced nutrition aren't doing enough.

2 hours ago, Destino said:

Anything that raises cost of food is about the poor.  Or at least it should be. 

And how would this help with national obesity?  Less steak does not mean more salad.  It means more processed foods, which also happen to be cheap.  If you want to tax something that's making people fat, tax added sugar.   

I am all for taxing products with added sugar. 

Perhaps making this limited to certain types of meat that we know are absolutely crap nutritionally and health-wise but for some reason Americans love gobbling.

3 hours ago, No Excuses said:

This isn't about rich or poor.

It's about a fat, unhealthy country that consumes meat to the point that it has an obesity and heart disease crisis.

Literally all of us are picking up the tab through healthcare costs for the bad eating habits of our fellow citizens.

I would wager that most people would actually save money over the long run if they consume less meat and have better health outcomes.

When it impacts all of us, we should do that. A healthcare system in a country full of honey boo boo's is unsustainable.

It's absolutely about rich and poor.  Ready Hillbilly Elegy, by JD Vance.  It talks about uneducated Scotch-Irish and the struggles they face.  Ever hear of Mountain Dew Mouth?  Their diets are the worst.  You're even calling out Honey Boo Boo's, not calling out the wealthy who are downing kale shakes after their spin class.

There's nothing wrong with a steak every so often or a piece of chicken (as long as it's not fried).  There is something wrong with going to Taco Bell and getting steak chalupas with extra sour cream, a beef burrito and a Mountain Dew to wash it down.  

6 hours ago, LadySkinsFan said:

Geez, why not put a consumption tax on all food, as feeding populations takes great resources.?

I get that you're being sarcastic, but I don't see a problem with taxing obviously unhealthy food choices, especially if that money is allocated to a good cause, like the way the gas tax is.  The next step of course is forcing food producers to make healthier food in general

Then untax fresh fruits and vegetables, whole grain products, and unprocessed foods. 

Or pay people more money so they don't have to choose between healthy food that takes time to prepare and cheap, unnutritional foods that are easy to prepare timewise.

I agree that items like soft drinks and items heaviky reliant on high fructose corn syrup and refined sugars should be taxed. Why not tax the manufacturers of these products for making them instead of consumers?

5 minutes ago, LadySkinsFan said:

Then untax fresh fruits and vegetables, whole grain products, and unprocessed foods. 

Or pay people more money so they don't have to choose between healthy food that takes time to prepare and cheap, unnutritional foods that are easy to prepare timewise.

I agree that items like soft drinks and items heaviky reliant on high fructose corn syrup and refined sugars should be taxed. Why not tax the manufacturers of these products for making them instead of consumers?

You know the answer to that, they'll just pass it on to the consumer anyway.  At least this way the price is going up because of taxes, not because the manufacturers are ***holes.  

The amount of taxes on a stalk of celery doesn't make sense to remove to encourage those choices.  We blame people on SNAP for buying food that's bad for them, but the fast stuff typically is.  We need to fix that.

1 hour ago, No Excuses said:

Meat heavy diets are fairly strongly linked to high incidences of cancer and heart diseases. Over consumption of meat isn't even up for debate in terms of the American diet.

Diet studies seem to be about as reliable as reading tea leaves, they say whatever the person wants them to say.  Coffee is great for you one week, deadly the next.  Everyone knows salt is bad for cardiovascular health, problem is a lot of recent studies haven't found that to be true at all.  The list goes on and on.  

11 minutes ago, Destino said:

Diet studies seem to be about as reliable as reading tea leaves, they say whatever the person wants them to say.  Coffee is great for you one week, deadly the next.  Everyone knows salt is bad for cardiovascular health, problem is a lot of recent studies haven't found that to be true at all.  The list goes on and on.  

That's why I just say **** everybody, and live by the food pyramid, everything in moderation.

3 hours ago, AsburySkinsFan said:

Carbs are bad when it is a huge amount of your diet. 

The majority of your diet is actually supposed to be from carbs.

14 minutes ago, Mr. Sinister said:

That's why I just say **** everybody, and live by the food pyramid, everything in moderation.

Food pyramid is gone too. Now it’s a plate.

1 hour ago, China said:

Did you know that in Mexico they are called Submarinos?

pastelito-submarinos-vainilla-105-gr_x1.

Yup, on account of the metric system.

2 hours ago, No Excuses said:

It really wouldn't hurt this country if people bought less meat. And it's pretty obvious that educational campaigns about balanced nutrition aren't doing enough.

I think you need to watch this

4 hours ago, PeterMP said:

If there’s one thing I know for sure, it’s that carbs are evil.
This is probably the silliest of all the silly, pop-culture propaganda about diet and health. All plant foods are carbohydrate sources.

Yeah, but: Carbs are evil.
Everything from lentils to lollipops, pinto beans to jelly beans, tree nuts to doughnuts, is a carbohydrate source. Most plant foods are mostly carbohydrate. So if “all carbs” are evil, then so are vegetables, fruits, whole grains, beans, lentils, nuts, and seeds.

Sure, but, I should still avoid carbs, right?
Exactly the opposite is true. You cannot have a complete or healthful diet without carbohydrate sources.

Why have I been led to believe that carbs are evil?
Highly processed grains and added sugar are bad, not because they are carbohydrate, but because they’ve been robbed of nutrients, they raise insulin levels, and they’re often high in added fats, sodium, and weird ingredients. Carbs are not evil; junk food is evil.

http://www.grubstreet.com/2018/03/ultimate-conversation-on-healthy-eating-and-nutrition.html

If the average American consumed carbs almost entirely in plant form, they'd likely end up massively reducing their current processed food, calorie, and sugar intake.  

People are focusing on the health aspect of eating less meat.  In that regards, I think it is up to individual responsibility to be healthy.  The aspect I see as potentially being a reason to tax it is the environmental impact of the meat industry.  That affects everyone regardless of whether or not they partake.

Archived