Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Fortune: Why It’s Time for America to Tax Meat

No Excuses

lol at agreeing to tax anything !!

4 hours ago, PeterMP said:

If your diet is almost entirely fruits and vegetables, a huge part of your diet will be carbs.

That's not bad for you.   A HUGE part of your diet SHOULD BE carbs.  With fiber being a carb, most of your diet should be carbs.

Carbs != sugar

hell, you dont even need vegetables.. plenty of cultures have lived off fruit alone.

48 minutes ago, PokerPacker said:

People are focusing on the health aspect of eating less meat.  In that regards, I think it is up to individual responsibility to be healthy.  The aspect I see as potentially being a reason to tax it is the environmental impact of the meat industry.  That affects everyone regardless of whether or not they partake.

taxing serves no other purpose than to screw you over

21 minutes ago, PokerPacker said:

People are focusing on the health aspect of eating less meat.  In that regards, I think it is up to individual responsibility to be healthy.  The aspect I see as potentially being a reason to tax it is the environmental impact of the meat industry.  That affects everyone regardless of whether or not they partake.

I we ate more environmentalists we could be carbon neutral?

Serving up al gore should give me at least 20 cows credit.:)

What about intermittent fasting? Is that actually effective for better gut health and energy levels? 
It’s “effective” relative to doing nothing.

That article is great. I mean I feel dumb reading it but im thoroughly enjoying the jabs at the fad diets and things like fasting 

8 hours ago, Destino said:

Anything that raises cost of food is about the poor.  Or at least it should be. 

And how would this help with national obesity?  Less steak does not mean more salad.  It means more processed foods, which also happen to be cheap.  If you want to tax something that's making people fat, tax added sugar.   

Took the words. It’s not meat, it’s processed foods, junk foods and take out. 

I bet...no, I know we eat out more now (3 times as much) as we did when I was a kid. My parents couldn’t afford it and it was a treat (once or twice a month) when we did. 

I see the the pizza guy across the street at a family of 4 at least twice a week.

7 hours ago, Destino said:

Butter garlic and salt works wonders.  :)

Oops we've missed that one so far.  Gotta tax salt too.

12 hours ago, TryTheBeal! said:

It must feel pretty cool to have personal expertise in both tax policy and gastronomical anthropology.

I is an expert on anything becuz... internet.

Is it the tax on meat that they are hoping to have people switch to a plant based, environmentally friendly, possibly healthier diet, because its a tax? In 2010-2011, the beef industry slaughtered a large number females, for the purpose of raising prices. Less females = less breeding = less beef, the price of beef has risen from 2011 to 2016, and slipped a little this past year. This also caused other commodities (Hides) to rise as well. (I worked for a higher end male shoe manufacturer at the time.) Price of leather went up, so did the price of shoes.

I don't eat a lot of beef, but the rising prices also didn't prevent me from buying beef when I wanted and I didn't care if the hamburger joint I go to raised the menu prices.

We will have to wait for the environmentally, modified bovines that are in the works.

22 hours ago, Yohan said:

Is it the tax on meat that they are hoping to have people switch to a plant based, environmentally friendly, possibly healthier diet, because its a tax? In 2010-2011, the beef industry slaughtered a large number females, for the purpose of raising prices. Less females = less breeding = less beef, the price of beef has risen from 2011 to 2016, and slipped a little this past year. This also caused other commodities (Hides) to rise as well. (I worked for a higher end male shoe manufacturer at the time.) Price of leather went up, so did the price of shoes.

I don't eat a lot of beef, but the rising prices also didn't prevent me from buying beef when I wanted and I didn't care if the hamburger joint I go to raised the menu prices.

We will have to wait for the environmentally, modified bovines that are in the works.

Its a fair criticism but a tax across the board should raise prices just enough to lower consumption through slightly less purchasing. 

The goal here isn’t to get rid of meat consumption in general. It’s to cut down on meat intake, similar to the trends seen for taxes on sugary drinks and cigarettes. 

2 hours ago, No Excuses said:

Its a fair criticism but a tax across the board should raise prices just enough to lower consumption through slightly less purchasing. 

The goal here isn’t to get rid of meat consumption in general. It’s to cut down on meat intake, similar to the trends seen for taxes on sugary drinks and cigarettes. 

I thought the goal was saving the environment but you're focused on intake.  Are you trying to force a very bad dietary change on the country or save the planet?  If the goal is environmental it make more sense to discuss that side of things.  Something like what the pollutions levels generated by the industry are currently, versus the levels you'd like to see.  

28 minutes ago, Destino said:

I thought the goal was saving the environment but you're focused on intake.  Are you trying to force a very bad dietary change on the country or save the planet?  If the goal is environmental it make more sense to discuss that side of things.  Something like what the pollutions levels generated by the industry are currently, versus the levels you'd like to see.  

Bovine livestock are responsible for about 9.5 percent of global greenhouse gas output, according to the Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations. Farmers are trying to reduce those emissions with lots of different strategies, starting with their diets. Researchers have tried adding flaxseed oil, garlic, juniper berries, and even seaweed to cow feed. Some scientists at Pennsylvania State University are even genetically modifying the bacteria in cow guts. Simpler tweaks can have an impact, too: Vaccinating cows against common viruses mean fewer cows die, letting farmers focus on raising fewer, healthier cows that live long into adulthood—creating less methane as a result.

https://www.wired.com/story/canada-is-using-genetics-to-make-cows-less-gassy/

I'd imagine the tax would have to be significant. Hopefully Ramen Noodles remain unchanged.

Archived