Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Fortune: Why It’s Time for America to Tax Meat

No Excuses

6 minutes ago, Xameil said:

Can you fry it in bacon grease to make it not just be a flavorless gelatinous goo

Even better, wrap it tight enough in bacon to squeeze out the tofu

1 minute ago, zoony said:

If the money goes to healthcare Im all for it

Education needs some kick in the ass also. 

We all pay for it yet we are not even in the top ten of educated countries. We were...this generation is not. 

Our military spending is absurd. I say this as a guy that has the utmost respect for what my family has done over the years. 

But there has to be a better way. 

Let's start with drug laws. 

3 hours ago, LadySkinsFan said:

Consumption taxes are an overwhelming burden on the poor. 

The rich could give a ****.

This isn't about rich or poor.

It's about a fat, unhealthy country that consumes meat to the point that it has an obesity and heart disease crisis.

Literally all of us are picking up the tab through healthcare costs for the bad eating habits of our fellow citizens.

I would wager that most people would actually save money over the long run if they consume less meat and have better health outcomes.

52 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

Yeah, no.  

Man, people love telling other people what to do. 

When it impacts all of us, we should do that. A healthcare system in a country full of honey boo boo's is unsustainable.

1 minute ago, No Excuses said:

I would wager that most people would actually save money over the long run if they consume less meat and have better health outcomes.

I need you to check out the Moore movie regarding taking ideas from other countries. I think it is called "where to invade". 

Makes me want to be an Italian. 

25 minutes ago, No Excuses said:

This isn't about rich or poor.

It's about a fat, unhealthy country that consumes meat to the point that it has an obesity and heart disease crisis.

Literally all of us are picking up the tab through healthcare costs for the bad eating habits of our fellow citizens.

Anything that raises cost of food is about the poor.  Or at least it should be. 

And how would this help with national obesity?  Less steak does not mean more salad.  It means more processed foods, which also happen to be cheap.  If you want to tax something that's making people fat, tax added sugar.   

The general theme of the OP could be applied to several different items that would save a lot of tax payer money. If we lived and had a government that focused on prevention instead of only responding to problems, we’d be far better off mentally and physically. 

2 minutes ago, Destino said:

Anything that raises cost of food is about the poor.  Or at least it should be. 

And how would this help with national obesity?  Less steak does not in mean more salad.  It means more processed foods, which also happen to be cheap.  If you want to tax something that's making people fat, tax added sugar.   

Good point but it wasn’t just about making people fat. It’s also about benefits to the planet. 

29 minutes ago, Kosher Ham said:

Education needs some kick in the ass also. 

We all pay for it yet we are not even in the top ten of educated countries. 

Our educational system sucks, but it's not from a lack of funds. We're near the top in spending per student per year...despite having a year that is two months shorter.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/us-education-spending-tops-global-list-study-shows/

3 minutes ago, Riggo-toni said:

Our educational system sucks, but it's not from a lack of funds. We're near the top in spending per student per year...despite having a year that is two months shorter.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/us-education-spending-tops-global-list-study-shows/

One thing to keep in mind about these benchmarking studies on how badly the US education system sucks, is tehe US is really the only country who educates and tests every child.  

Education is a right in the USA.  Thats not true in almost every country we are constantly compared to

In other countries there is competition to get in to the best public schools. People who can't cut it academically are shuffled into trade schools. In Italy, you have to be proficient in at least 3 languages to get a college degree. None of this nobody gets left behind b.s.  High school admissions are as demanding as universities in the US.

5 minutes ago, Riggo-toni said:

In other countries there is competition to get in to the best public schools. People who can't cut it academically are shuffled into trade schools. In Italy, you have to be proficient in at least 3 languages to get a college degree. None of this nobody gets left behind b.s.  High school admissions are as demanding as universities in the US.

Its that way in most countries.  Which is a large part of why the US university system is the envy of the world.  Thats where our split happens... in china the split occurs in kindergarten.

In Japan for instance, universities are mostly coloring books and exercises in drooling out of the corner of your mouth.

If there’s one thing I know for sure, it’s that carbs are evil.
This is probably the silliest of all the silly, pop-culture propaganda about diet and health. All plant foods are carbohydrate sources.

Yeah, but: Carbs are evil.
Everything from lentils to lollipops, pinto beans to jelly beans, tree nuts to doughnuts, is a carbohydrate source. Most plant foods are mostly carbohydrate. So if “all carbs” are evil, then so are vegetables, fruits, whole grains, beans, lentils, nuts, and seeds.

Sure, but, I should still avoid carbs, right?
Exactly the opposite is true. You cannot have a complete or healthful diet without carbohydrate sources.

Why have I been led to believe that carbs are evil?
Highly processed grains and added sugar are bad, not because they are carbohydrate, but because they’ve been robbed of nutrients, they raise insulin levels, and they’re often high in added fats, sodium, and weird ingredients. Carbs are not evil; junk food is evil.

http://www.grubstreet.com/2018/03/ultimate-conversation-on-healthy-eating-and-nutrition.html

Archived