Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Redskins receiving corp is beginning to shape up

Burgold

1 hour ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Wonder if Emmanuel Hall has a shot at making the roster.  He was Drew Lock's deep threat at Missouri.  He's a track guy who can get behind man coverage on the outside.  Might be a good option to have down the depth chart since a lot of the receivers we have are more possession types.

If there's preseason, I think Hall vs. Wright is gonna be a fun competition out of the depth guys playing with Allen and Montez

• Like 2

I want to look a this a little differently this year than others, in terms of who we think is going to make the final roster.

Last year, the 'Skins started the season carrying: 

RBs: 4 - AP, Guice, CT, Smallwood. 

TEs: 3 - Reed, V. Davis, Sprinkle

WE: 6 - McLaurin, Richardson, Harmdon, S.Simms, Quinn, Robert Davis

That's a total of 13  offensive skill position players.  Throughout the year, things moved around a bit due to ineptitude and injury.

Anyway, I don't know if that mix holds this year.  

Here are the players I think are locks:

RB: 4 - Guice, Gibson, AP, McKissic (Note: When they signed McKissic, they really spoke glowingly of him.  It is possible with the drafting of Gibson, they have 2 players who kindof do the same thing, and he's in jeopardy.  But I don't think so. )

TE: None. 

WR: 4 -  McLaurin, Antonio Gandy-Golden, S. Sims, Harmon 

Bryce Love is a massive question mark because of health.  If he's healthy and shows the type of skills he showed in college, he's a lock to make the team, because while we're now a year removed from his college career, he was absolutely outstanding.  So in that scenario, you probably carry 5 RBs.  

So let's consider we are going to carry 13 skill position players. Who get's added and at what position?

I think there is a scenario where they carry 5 RBs (Love is healthy), 3 TEs (Most likely Sprinkle, Henteges, and possibly Moss), and only 5 WRs, which leaves only 1 more spot open. 

I could also see them carrying 4 RBs (Love is not healthy), deciding to go with 2 TEs (mostly for blocking in the running game), and then that leaves 3 positions open for WRs. In this scenario the role of "comfort blanket TE"  would be played by a RB).  

One thing that I find fascinating about the way they have picked up RBs is they have several guys who really fit the McCaffrey role.  They are NOT McCaffrey.  But they kindof play the dual-threat of running/receiving. Which we know Scott Turner and Ron Rivera both really like.  Guice and Love can both do it, though probably are better runners than receivers, but Gibson and McKissic absolutely can do both, and are probably better receivers than runners.  Interestingly, the one guy who really doesn't fit that mold is AP.  I could really see a scenario where AP ends up as a situational short yardage guy, and late-game hammer.  

So I'm wondering if the RBs on this team are going to get more spots and more attention than the WRs.

It's going to be very interesting to see how it plays out.   If you put a gun to my head right now, I think they go 4 RBs (Love not healthy), 2 TEs (Sprinkle, ??), and 7 WRs, which would leave a ton of competition for 3 WR spots.  And playing ST would be a key differentiator as well.

That changes dramatically if Love is healthy.  If he is, then I think there's a real possibility of 5 RBs.

This is a long way to say, I think the TEs and WRs are not only competing within the position groups, but across position groups.  And everybody is looking at Love to see if he is going to nab a roster spot. Because if he's right, you almost can't keep him off the roster and you have to find a way to use him.    

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

Turners offense was really enjoyable and creative at the end of the season when he took over. Looks like we'll have some really quick weapons to use too.

Just don't promote him to Head Coach, when Rivera eventually leaves...because unlike Thaddeus Moss - Scott Turner seems to be almost identical to his Dad !

Our WR group is the type I can root for. We drafted them, they are underdogs and can make a name for themselves here. Richardson was really hard for me to feel like he was part of the team. Same with Latimer.

• Like 3

I think ultimately Gibson will be listed as a wide receiver. With Latimars arrest, if Gandy can show something in preseason, I think hes in and Codys out which sucks because I like him as a player. 

i think our lineup will have TMac opposite Harmon to start with Sims as the slot. I think Trey Quinn is out and Gibson takes his place with Gandy as a reserve. Thats 5 wide receivers and probably one sleeper makes the roster. Cam has the edge but who knows. 

1 hour ago, skinsfan93 said:

I think ultimately Gibson will be listed as a wide receiver. With Latimars arrest, if Gandy can show something in preseason, I think hes in and Codys out which sucks because I like him as a player. 

i think our lineup will have TMac opposite Harmon to start with Sims as the slot. I think Trey Quinn is out and Gibson takes his place with Gandy as a reserve. Thats 5 wide receivers and probably one sleeper makes the roster. Cam has the edge but who knows. 

I think Cody's out sooner rather than later. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

I want to look a this a little differently this year than others, in terms of who we think is going to make the final roster.

Last year, the 'Skins started the season carrying: 

RBs: 4 - AP, Guice, CT, Smallwood. 

Here are the players I think are locks:

RB: 4 - Guice, Gibson, AP, McKissic (Note: When they signed McKissic, they really spoke glowingly of him.  It is possible with the drafting of Gibson, they have 2 players who kindof do the same thing, and he's in jeopardy.  But I don't think so. )

Technically the Skins started 2019 with 5 running backs, as Shaun Wilson made the initial 53. He was immediately IR's though. Oddly, it marked the 2nd straight year the team started with 5 RBs (in 2018 Byron Marshall made it as a fifth RB before getting IR'd. The other 4 were Rob Kelley, Adrian Peterson, Samaje Perine, and Chris Thompson).

Just as a fun exercise, here's the dead cap money for cutting each RB:

J.D. McKissic - $1,000,000

Adrian Peterson - $750,000

Derrius Guice - $691,612

Peyton Barber - $600,000

Bryce Love - $565,749

Everyone else is zero, though Antonio Gibson hasn't signed a deal yet.

8 hours ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

I don't see Barber making this team, at all.

Unless there are multiple injuries at RB.

It seems his biggest attribute is short yardage or goal line, but I'd like to think that could be filled by one of the other players.

if that's the case, could he be a fullback?  Cause I thought Rivera liked them

3 hours ago, carex said:

if that's the case, could he be a fullback?  Cause I thought Rivera liked them

I'm not real familiar with Scott Turner's offense. Does he use fullbacks at all? I'd rather not carry a guy just to be a fullback. Would be cool to see them utilize one of the tight ends or a d lineman in that role if it was just needed for occasional runs. 

As for WR, I'm excited for these guys and hope this is our corps:

McLaurin, SSims, Harmon, Gibson, Gandy-Golden. I want them to cut Latimer. Gibson can have his special teams role. I still like a few of the other guys as developmental players--Quinn, CSims, Wright, Kidsy, etc., but I would be fine sticking them on the practice squad for now. I think it's more important to have an extra tight end. We're going to have a lot of question marks at that position all year long.

Edited by duffy

On 5/17/2020 at 10:01 AM, Mr. Sinister said:

Aww ****... Don't do this to me ❤

Don’t do it, this year I swore I wouldn’t get excited for players during the off-season or camp just to lead to a 3-13 season. I’m. Not. Gunna. Do. It. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

I don't see Barber making this team, at all.

Unless there are multiple injuries at RB.

It seems his biggest attribute is short yardage or goal line, but I'd like to think that could be filled by one of the other players.

Barber signed a 2 year deal from what I read..that seems to say they like him.

Good breakdown @Voice_of_Reason.  I think one name you left out who will definitely make this roster if healthy is Logan Thomas.  The coaches have spoken glowingly about him already, and he has a $2.25mm dead cap hit.  I think he's actually TE1 as of now.  My guess:

RB: 4 - Guice, Gibson, AP, McKissic/Love

TE: 3 - Thomas, Moss, Sprinkle/Hentges

WR: 6 -  McLaurin, S. Sims, Harmon, Gandy-Golden, Latimer (if his legal situation is overblown), Quinn/Wright

The "/" is for bubble players that could overtake those spots if they're healthy and/or have a great camp.

My guesses on the roster depends on how you want to classify Gibson--have they said other than just "weapon"? I don't see Latimer staying, especially given the focus on improved culture.

If Gibson is technically a receiver:

RB: Guice, AP, McKissic, Love (if healthy)

TE: Thomas, Moss, Hentges...Sprinkle is as useless as tits on a boar.

WR: McLaurin, AGG, Sims, Gibson, Harmon are locks, I don't think there's much debate in that? Then Quinn, maybe? I could see a Ye Ol' VMI+I vet addition to help this really young group.

I love that lineup, to be honest. Maybe it's the #Anustart talking, but the speed and play-making ability of that group makes me feel kinda funny, like when we used to climb the rope in gym class. The more I look at this roster the more I feel like Lou Brown...

Yarn Memes | Meme maker from tiny clips from movies, TV, music ...

38 minutes ago, HTTRDynasty said:

Good breakdown @Voice_of_Reason.  I think one name you left out who will definitely make this roster if healthy is Logan Thomas.  The coaches have spoken glowingly about him already, and he has a $2.25mm dead cap hit.  I think he's actually TE1 as of now.  My guess:

RB: 4 - Guice, Gibson, AP, McKissic/Love

TE: 3 - Thomas, Moss, Sprinkle/Hentges

WR: 6 -  McLaurin, S. Sims, Harmon, Gandy-Golden, Latimer (if his legal situation is overblown), Quinn/Wright

The "/" is for bubble players that could overtake those spots if they're healthy and/or have a great camp.

I keep coming back to this: I don't think Love takes somebody else's roster spot.  McKissic was a deliberate signing, and somebody they have talked extremely highly of, and I just don't see him not making the team.  Guice, we know is a beast for the 1.5 games a year he is healthy. So he's not getting cut.  Hurt in training camp?  That could happen.  But he's not getting cut.  

Gibson was just drafted and is a 100% lock to make the team.  

AP.  I think Rivera wants him in the locker room.  My gut tells me he turns into the short yardage, goal-line and "hammer them in the second half if we can" back.  I think he's a lock.

So, I just don't see Love taking McKissic's place if healthy. Though, I have no idea if he is healthy.  

The greatest chance is at least one of the RBs gets hurt, and this problem solves itself.

I agree on the 3 TEs.  I forgot about Logan Thomas.  

I think Latimer is gone.  Yes on McLaurin, S.Sims, Harmon, AGG.  I know Cooley was really high on Kidsy, I believe.  I just hope whoever is WR 5 or 6, they can play ST and have athletic talent.  

On 5/17/2020 at 8:55 AM, Voice_of_Reason said:

So let's consider we are going to carry 13 skill position players. Who get's added and at what position?

I think there is a scenario where they carry 5 RBs (Love is healthy), 3 TEs (Most likely Sprinkle, Henteges, and possibly Moss), and only 5 WRs, which leaves only 1 more spot open. 

I could also see them carrying 4 RBs (Love is not healthy), deciding to go with 2 TEs (mostly for blocking in the running game), and then that leaves 3 positions open for WRs. In this scenario the role of "comfort blanket TE"  would be played by a RB).  

I think given that Gibson can take snaps in the slot as well as line up as a RB its highly likely we roll with 5 Rbs and 5 WRs. Then again Gibson could also take snaps at H-back and reduce the need for the 3rd TE. Gibsons versatility allows us a lot of roster flexibility to keep the guy who shows the most between the 5th RB, 5/6th WR and 3rd TE.

If there was ever a year to get excited about a WRs corps, this would be it.  Terry McLaurin, Harmon, Sims and the rookies with speed to burn behind them.  If Haskins can really progress in his sophomore season, this offense may be explosive and exciting to watch come September.

5 hours ago, bakedtater1 said:

I wanna ask who's our big body guy that can get up and get that ball..and I keep going back to Mclaurin tho he's not the big body type but he sure plays like one.

AGG for sure, if he develops well and gains some chemistry with Haskins.

• Like 1

I think this is the last training camp for cam sims. 

didn’t do enough with his limited chances to overtake those who stepped up last year along with those brought in by the new regime. 

same can probably be said for Quinn. Wouldn’t be surprised if we bring in some vet insurance for such a young group though.

47 minutes ago, MartinC said:

I think given that Gibson can take snaps in the slot as well as line up as a RB its highly likely we roll with 5 Rbs and 5 WRs. Then again Gibson could also take snaps at H-back and reduce the need for the 3rd TE. Gibsons versatility allows us a lot of roster flexibility to keep the guy who shows the most between the 5th RB, 5/6th WR and 3rd TE.

Exactly. 

Though I think most likely he's lining up as a RB or WR, not H-Back.  I think they would want to use his speed as much as possible.  I think Cooley has said Harmon actually might make a really good H-Back.  I could see that, if you went McLaurin/AGG/S.Sims at WR, Gibson at RB, and Harmon at H-Back, you could do a lot of things. Or McLaurin/AGG at WR, Gibson and Guice at RB, and Harmon at H-Back.  You could actually run a 4 wide-out set out of that, or go 3 wide with Gibson split out, and Guice and Harmon as a blocker.

Just an enormous amount of flexibility.  I have always loved players with a lot of versatility.  IF they are used correctly.  My biggest beef with in-game management the last 6 years has been the team has been so uninspiringly predictable on both sides of the ball.  Do things to change it up, be creative, have some ingenuity. If you make defenses guess at what you're doing, you automatically slow them down.  if you're predictable, they can react faster.  

9 minutes ago, sportjunkie07 said:

I think this is the last training camp for cam sims. 

didn’t do enough with his limited chances to overtake those who stepped up last year along with those brought in by the new regime. 

same can probably be said for Quinn. Wouldn’t be surprised if we bring in some vet insurance for such a young group though.

I'm really surprised Cam Sims is still on the roster.  He completely choked away his chance last year with drops in pre-season games.  

Quinn needs gone.  

• Like 2