Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Redskins receiving corp is beginning to shape up

Burgold

Watching these guys play I think they are a better unit with Haskins at the helm.  His quick release and arm strength

get them the ball much quicker which matches the speed they run their routes.  I don't think there is any doubting

the speed of our WR's and they do run their routes pretty much on point.  With this OL we need whoever is behind center

to have a quick release and deliver laser shots which should open up the downfield game when combined with running

the ball often with our bevy of RB's.  

I am still stunned we are going with a youth movement at WR.  I have long thought young / rookies WRs can do more sooner than NFL traditions dictate. It's just hard for a kid to beat out a vet based on his sheer experience in a head to head competition in camps.

So a kid is raw - its called growing pains and other positions suck it up and play including QBs.   The onus is on the coach to minimize the growing pains by collectively using everyone to their strengths. 

The question remains who will emerge our best wideout this year.  Heck we don't even know who is our X or Z yet. My money is on McLaurin but is a blind guess based on camp hype. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, justice98 said:

I'm ok going with these receivers, in general, but I think I would feel better about it if we got to see Mclaurin play more, since he's supposed to be the prize.

From what I've seen of Harmon, Simms Jr and Davis I'm totally comfortable with going with the kids. In fact, I wonder how long it takes Simms to beat out Quinn for the slot job?

If Reed plays, Case will have nice options to throw to....can't wait to see it. 

With our recent rash of injuries at the position maybe it's almost pointless to name starters, or pick guys for positions.

Not to mention Richardson aside, we don't even know if our starters are starter material. We hope all the kids take off but truly think they will need the live arm of Haskins to fully untap their potential. Our WRs are going to be BLANKETED and will need every extra MPH / millisecond quicker release to gain an  extra edge on the obvious #norespect coverage we will face.

The big news is Stevie "Wonder how the hell I made it" Sims Jr stealing that last spot. I hope we use him unpredictably and at least sporadically to keep defenses guessing. I want to see us employ more 10s 1 back 4 wides. Or heck obvious passing downs stop ****ing around and go 5 wide and keep trash away from Keenum's feet.

McLaurin Richardson Sims Quinn + Guice/Davis/Reed? coupled with a rollout/mobile pocket to buy time is going to be an awful lot of speed for defenders to cover. 

Edited by RandyHolt
  • Like 1

On 9/1/2019 at 10:09 AM, Vladimir L said:

If you cant stay on the field not worth it. Docson was a highly touted prospect along with Malcom Kelly. I always read about how great in camp or practice they were. Nothing but a waste of time.

Well we have seen more from Quinn in actual football games than we have Cam Sims. He actually caught some balls and scored a TD. Cam Sims has missed more NFL games due to injury than Quinn...🤷‍♂️

26 minutes ago, RandyHolt said:

With our recent rash of injuries at the position maybe it's almost pointless to name starters, or pick guys for positions.

Not to mention Richardson aside, we don't even know if our starters are starter material. We hope all the kids take off but truly think they will need the live arm of Haskins to fully untap their potential. Our WRs are going to be BLANKETED and will need every extra MPH / millisecond quicker release to gain an  extra edge on the obvious #norespect coverage we will face.

The big news is Stevie "Wonder how the hell I made it" Sims Jr stealing that last spot. I hope we use him unpredictably and at least sporadically to keep defenses guessing. I want to see us employ more 10s 1 back 4 wides. Or heck obvious passing downs stop ****ing around and go 5 wide and keep trash away from Keenum's feet.

McLaurin Richardson Sims Quinn + Guice/Davis? coupled with a rollout/mobile pocket to buy time is going to be an awful lot of speed for defenders to cover. 

The way this offense is set up for game 1...this is without a doubt the most speed we have had since RG3/Garcon/Jackson...throw in CT on passing downs...there's some opportunity here...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, dballer said:

The way this offense is set up for game 1...this is without a doubt the most speed we have had since RG3/Garcon/Jackson...throw in CT on passing downs...there's some opportunity here...

yep, and we should use the speed while they are healthy aka, like now. The opportunity is now.

I do like targeting of corners. The game within the game. Look at the Eagles DBs. Are they all on the short side?  Maddux is only 5'9" which is code for 5'8.  Darby is 5'11 which means just over 5'10. Douglas is a big cat but Jones is meh.  Cravon LeButt is only 5'10. I want Jay to do things like that - go big.  Reed. Harmon. Davis. Davis. Guice. Throw some size at them and tell Case to put the ball upstairs, or let the basketball guys box out.

With NO proof whatsoever I just feel like Jay gets too involved in the little nuances of the game and may miss the big picture at times. Go big, find who their TINY DB is on, and target them with contested balls. Sure they will be on the hip of whichever WR we throw at them but just muscle them away like lowly phfilthy peasants.

Edited by RandyHolt

6 minutes ago, RandyHolt said:

yep, and we should use the speed while they are healthy aka, like now. The opportunity is now.

I do like targeting of corners. The game within the game. Look at the Eagles DBs. Are they all on the short side?  Maddux is only 5'9" which is code for 5'8.  Darby is 5'11 which means just over 5'10. Douglas is a big cat but Jones is meh.  Cravon LeButt is only 5'10. I want Jay to do things like that - go big.  Reed. Harmon. Davis. Davis. Guice. Throw some size at them and tell Case to put the ball upstairs, or let the basketball guys box out.

With NO proof whatsoever I just feel like Jay gets too involved in the little nuances of the game and may miss the big picture at times. Go big, find who their TINY DB is on, and target them with contested balls. Sure they will be on the hip of whichever WR we throw at them but just muscle them away like lowly phfilthy peasants.

I like the idea of big for weapons however with that pass rush and front 7 in Philly I’d rather have an extra blocker rather than Reed in there.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, PartyPosse said:

I like the idea of big for weapons however with that pass rush and front 7 in Philly I’d rather have an extra blocker rather than Reed in there.

Jay has to go quick pass, right?  If he opens with a 7 step drop sack fumble the laptop is going out the window.

Go big spread wide, and make it a quick Reed. Pun intended. Never give Phillies DL a chance to Tee off.

Or, if you want Max protect, go heavy jumbo PAP to Sprinkle our new secret weapon.

Edited by RandyHolt
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, PartyPosse said:

I predict Quinn isn’t on the team next year. For some reason the brass has fallen in love with him and he’s shown zip.

He showed up really well in preseason last year and looked good regular season until he got injured shortly into it. Seems to be quick, very sharp route runner, really good hands. Not sure why you'd assume he'll end up crappy. Not saying it won't happen (he was a 7th round pick after all) but still...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, mistertim said:

He showed up really well in preseason last year and looked good regular season until he got injured shortly into it. Seems to be quick, very sharp route runner, really good hands. Not sure why you'd assume he'll end up crappy. Not saying it won't happen (he was a 7th round pick after all) but still...

I think he’s gonna be perpetually injured. Just a gut instinct. He’s gonna be our poor man’s Amendola. Eventually your gonna want receivers that can stay healthy to develop chemistry with whomever our QB is. Playing a solid game every other month isn’t gonna help.

2 hours ago, RandyHolt said:

Jay has to go quick pass, right?  If he opens with a 7 step drop sack fumble the laptop is going out the window.

Go big spread wide, and make it a quick Reed. Pun intended. Never give Phillies DL a chance to Tee off.

Or, if you want Max protect, go heavy jumbo PAP to Sprinkle our new secret weapon.

I assume we see a ton of Guice early to pound the line. He seems to want to be very physical and I think he’ll be a valuable weapon in passpo once he really picks it up. At this point I don’t trust any of our backs to be able to help out Case.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, PartyPosse said:

I think he’s gonna be perpetually injured. Just a gut instinct. He’s gonna be our poor man’s Amendola. Eventually your gonna want receivers that can stay healthy to develop chemistry with whomever our QB is. Playing a solid game every other month isn’t gonna help.

I mean, I suppose it's possible of course. But he's not a guy with a long injury history going back to college or anything. I guess we'll see.

10 minutes ago, mistertim said:

I mean, I suppose it's possible of course. But he's not a guy with a long injury history going back to college or anything. I guess we'll see.

I don't trust a guy who goes on IR twice in his rookie year. Now a thumb injury? These all concern me for a guy who relies on thumbs and ankles to thrive. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mistertim said:

Something I recently learned about him I didn't know (most others I'm sure do) was ESPN had him ranked as a top 30 recruit coming out of HS.  Which doesn't always mean much since a lot of those guys don't sniff the NFL but shows what kind of talent he has.  

I really like that we are going with the youth movement here at wide receiver. We didn't have better options and I feel like we got 2 pretty good receivers in the draft, so why slow down their progression? What is there to lose?

In fact I've never seen such little experience at wide receiver so I'm interested to see how it plays out. I always criticize gruden for not being creative or taking chances, but I am glad he is doing that now. 

The way the skins do things, when we have a weakness early on it is heavily exposed throughout the year. No one ever seems to step up to the plate and make a name for themselves. I'm hoping that is not the case here but am fine with rookie mistakes along the way. 

This year will be the ultimate proof - does a team need vets at WR.

The guys with the most experience are the most injury prone :ols:

I bet NE has rolled with less experience at wideout but not many teams can have less that we do, right?  This may be some sort of record.

I am pushing all in that this WR group will need Haskins to greatly exceed expectations. Colt our starter lofting ducks may get Harmon a few catches but doubt the rest can excel with him. Maybe someone becomes Case's go to guy, but Jay spreads the ball around so much just don't expect anyone to dominate with him at the helm.

I will not undersell a solid run game. In fact it may be our only hope for a passing game regardless of the QB.

4 minutes ago, RandyHolt said:

This year will be the ultimate proof - does a team need vets at WR.

The guys with the most experience are the most injury prone :ols:

I bet NE has rolled with less experience at wideout but not many teams can have less that we do, right?  This may be some sort of record.

NE has Tom Brady, big difference. With that being said I'm happy with our WRs right now. 

Edited by desertbeagle85

17 hours ago, PartyPosse said:

I don't trust a guy who goes on IR twice in his rookie year. Now a thumb injury? These all concern me for a guy who relies on thumbs and ankles to thrive. 

I checked out our depth chart, and Trey Quinn is listed as our top punt returner. Trey Quinn and Colt McCoy are going to be locked in a race to the IR.

41 minutes ago, NickyJ said:

I checked out our depth chart, and Trey Quinn is listed as our top punt returner. Trey Quinn and Colt McCoy are going to be locked in a race to the IR.

I thought one of the reasons Steven Sims made the roster was to return kicks and punts.  He flashed during the last preseason game.  I am not sure how up to date that depth chart is that you saw but I don't believe Quinn is going to start the season on teams, anywhere.