Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Redskins receiving corp is beginning to shape up

Burgold

14 hours ago, mistertim said:

So our WRs will be 1 mediocre vet who can't stay healthy and a bunch of low round/UDFA guys who have never caught a ball in an NFL game (with one mid rounder thrown in and one exception in Quinn, who has caught 9 balls). This should be...interesting. We could end up with a surprisingly decent group...or the absolute worst in the NFL. We definitely have the most inexperienced squad. I know that everyone is hyped about our young guys and their potential but remember that pretty much none of these guys have gone up against starting DBs in a game, let alone top tier starters. I'm predicting that these young guys will be shut down by opposing teams pretty easily due to their inexperience and lack of elite skills. That's going to cause problems because teams can then stack the box on every down to stop the run game.

Add to that Gruden's conservative play calling and inability to adjust and think our offense could be really really bad this season. 

Meh. I think it will be more middle of the road.

Depending on health of course. But Richardson and Quinn are ok. The TEs, when healthy is an above average unit. And Thompson out of the backfield is an above average receiving RB. Now once the Richardson/Quinn/Reed/CT groups start hitting the IR things will get hairy. I am a Harmon fan though, and I think he will be good. I think feel better about the offense going into this season than last. I feel like we have more big play potential with this years WR unit than last years. I’m not as worried about rookie WRs as I used to be. May have something to do with the rules changes, but they seem to acclimate quicker nowadays.

• Like 1

Ok, so here’s the deal in the receive corps.  If 3 things happen, it can have above average to good production.  

1.  McLaurin has to be a significant contributor.  He has the most talent of the group,  he’s got to produce.  

2. The offense cannot count on the receivers to beat coverage in known passing situations, (nor can they count on the OL to pass block in known passing situations) so the Skins HAVE to mix it up on first down, throwing and running equally so the defense doesn’t KNOW what’s coming.  2nd and 8+ is a death knell to this team.   If Jay calls 90% runs on first down, (caveat, unless they are averaging 4.5 yards on first down runs) and they average 2or less yards, then there’s no way for the receiving corps to overcome that. The scheme and play calling has to help be receivers.

3. They can’t all get hurt.  Richardson and Quinn need to play.  If both land on the IR in the first 5 weeks like last year....

476BD1A0-6B68-40F4-98A6-E50096E1E95B.thumb.jpeg.8befa60893a2a421d0f98290808cef4d.jpeg

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

Jay wanted to draft him in the 5th round and Doug talked him out of it and then made him Mr. Irrelevant 

Jay loves him some Quinn.  

Quinn might actually be good too.  But since he’s never been healthy we have no idea.

Hopefully out og these nobody someone steps up.

I just didnt see anything from Quinn thst stood out in the preseason. Cam Sim deseves his spot more and Sims Jr seems like he has more speed and can also be s returner.

• Like 1

I’ve gotten close looks at Quinn the last two years in Richmond.  He puts on a show in one-on-one cover drills...really quick and great hands.  

I suppose we think we found a late round jewel that can lock down the slot WR spot for a few years and I’m inclined to agree with that...just need to stay healthy.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Vladimir L said:

Hopefully out og these nobody someone steps up.

I just didnt see anything from Quinn thst stood out in the preseason. Cam Sim deseves his spot more and Sims Jr seems like he has more speed and can also be s returner.

Well, he didn’t play in the preseason because of an injured finger which might be why you didn’t see anything from him...

Steve Sims plays a different position. He’s an inside slot type, while Cam is more outside.  

If you have Richardson/McLaurin as starters outside, Harmon is the backup.

Quinn starts inside and Steve Simms backs him up.

If Cam makes the team he’s inactive.  I am surprised a little bit they didn’t keep him for ST.

Edited by Voice_of_Reason

17 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

Well, he didn’t play in the preseason because of an injured finger which might be why you didn’t see anything from him...

Steve Sims plays a different position. He’s an inside slot type, while Cam is more outside.  

If you have Richardson/McLaurin as starters outside, Harmon is the backup.

Quinn starts inside and Steve Simms backs him up.

If Cam makes the team he’s inactive.  I am surprised a little bit they didn’t keep him for ST.

If you cant stay on the field not worth it. Docson was a highly touted prospect along with Malcom Kelly. I always read about how great in camp or practice they were. Nothing but a waste of time.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Vladimir L said:

If you cant stay on the field not worth it. Docson was a highly touted prospect along with Malcom Kelly. I always read about how great in camp or practice they were. Nothing but a waste of time.

The medical team told Vinny not to draft Comb because of his knees.  He ignored them.  

Doctson On was a bust not because of his talent or injuries but because of his desire.

13 hours ago, desertbeagle85 said:

Our Veterans?

You mean Doctson the bust? 

IMO Doctson wasn't a bust by how I think of the word. To me a bust is a highly drafted guy who didn't do much of anything. Think Kevin White or Charles Rogers. Doctson produced, but didn't live up to what we hoped he'd be. Doctson had over 1,000 yards and 8 TDs in his first two seasons playing (his rookie season basically being entirely on IR). Those numbers aren't that bad. So while he certainly didn't live up to what we hoped, I don't think he's a "bust".

5 minutes ago, mistertim said:

IMO Doctson wasn't a bust by how I think of the word. To me a bust is a highly drafted guy who didn't do much of anything. Think Kevin White or Charles Rogers. Doctson produced, but didn't live up to what we hoped he'd be. Doctson had over 1,000 yards and 8 TDs in his first two seasons playing (his rookie season basically being entirely on IR). Those numbers aren't that bad. So while he certainly didn't live up to what we hoped, I don't think he's a "bust".

If his career ended today with those stats. He's a bust

3 minutes ago, PartyPosse said:

If Jonathan Allen’s career ended today, he’s a bust.

but neither guy’s career is over so it’s moot.

He's a bust for the Skins either way. He didn't work out and was cut. He was a 1st rd pick and we'll see if he does anything else in his career. At the end of the day it was a bad pick for the Skins.

Edited by desertbeagle85
  • Like 1

It'll be interesting with this group.  But will likely be a lot of growing pains.  The coverage will be tighter and experienced DBs are going to be trying to knock them off their routes which will screw up their timing.  I expect Case will be checking down a lot in the early going if he's not getting sacked.

Been saying it since they were drafted that McLaurin would be our number 1 receiver this year and that Harmon would likely push doctson off the roster earlier rather than later. 

Glad they're finally listening to me. 

Will be interesting seeing young, talented rookies get thrown into the fire. 

14 minutes ago, desertbeagle85 said:

He's a bust for the Skins either way. He didn't work out and was cut. He was a 1st rd pick and we'll see if he does anything else in his career. At the end of the day it was a bad pick for the Skins.

He was a disappointment,  but I dunno about a bust. As others have said, a bust needs to have been a complete failure in terms of production and I don’t know if that’s Doc. The guy drafted after him had a whole 1 TD in his entire tenure in minny. You look at half the people in that first round - Eli Apple, Corey Coleman, Darron Lee, Paxton Lynch etc and we came out not too bad from that debacle.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, PartyPosse said:

He was a disappointment,  but I dunno about a bust. As others have said, a bust needs to have been a complete failure in terms of production and I don’t know if that’s Doc. The guy drafted after him had a whole 1 TD in his entire tenure in minny. You look at half the people in that first round - Eli Apple, Corey Coleman, Darron Lee, Paxton Lynch etc and we came out not too bad from that debacle.

You call it what you want. He's a bust to me. He didn't help us win any games and he was a wasted pick.  I'm done talking about this, it's a thread about Redskins WRs and he isn't one. One last thing I don't know how some fans would be happy with the poor career Doctson had with where we drafted him. It baffles me

Edited by desertbeagle85
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 9/1/2019 at 9:11 AM, Vladimir L said:

What has Quinn done to be on this team?

Caught a regular season TD vs the Cowboys.  So there’s that.

4 hours ago, PartyPosse said:

You know a guy is a bust when it pisses me off that you actually gave that BAMMA a nickname.  He ain’t Doc.  He’s Doctson.  And he’s a bust.  Trash.  GAHBAGE.  Doo doo.  Etc.  Etc.  Etc.

I'm having a hard time believing they wanted to trade Doctson because he wasn't productive enough. If it's true that they've been trying to trade him for 2 years then they were trying to do so after one season on a team ravaged by injuries. There had to be other issues behind the scenes that made them sour on Doctson so early in his time here.

On 9/1/2019 at 10:18 AM, Voice_of_Reason said:

The medical team told Vinny not to draft Comb because of his knees.  He ignored them.  

Doctson On was a bust not because of his talent or injuries but because of his desire.

Doctson's significant and recurring Achilles injuries cost him his entire rookie season and were probably the single biggest reason he never really found his footing here.