Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Redskins receiving corp is beginning to shape up

Burgold

1 hour ago, RandyHolt said:

One regular season snap (and injured in it) undone by 3 drops in his final game to decide his roster slot? Certainly seems possible.  Maybe 4 drops would convince you, or 5, or? He could be a lock and he can literally do no wrong but then I wonder why he played so much last night.

Regardless, consider how Jay wants the group constructed. Does he want all tall boys? Or does he want a  Tyreek Hill type of players.

I was more talking about the entire offseason, not his one NFL snap. You can learn a lot more about a player through months of practice, scrimmages, and team meetings than one pre-season game. It's the common mistake of fans to base roster decisions on one game. I'd call it the Lache Seastrunk effect. If Sims has bad hands, it would have shown up well before yesterday. But everyone associated with the team seemed to think he was a lock. He was obviously doing something right. Not sure what happened last night. Sims was bad. If he did hurt himself, it would help explain the issue a bit.

• Like 1

Sims could have been beaten out by Sims Jr last night since he's a returner.  Harmon and Davis have the big bodies like Cam so one of them will be the odd man out unless we can unload Doctson or just cut his arse.  Keep the youth and send Quick and Josh packing.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

That's unfortunate.  Cam didn't flash last night for sure, but...I'd rather have him than Doctson.  At least Cam has some upside.  We know what Doctson is.  I'd rather just see if any of these guys can step up and contribute, I'm not interested in seeing Doctson anymore. 

IMO, this is the most interesting group on the roster by far.  Too bad it's hindered by Doctson and to a lesser extent, Richardson.  I don't think Richardson is anything, either.

Hoffman's insight had to do with 3 or 4 dropped balls, not just one and relying on somebody to keep drives alive.  I hope he's wrong.

• Like 1

Redskins receiving corp is beginning to shape up

This is honestly the worst , Not worst, that was a poor choice of words , let me try again 

This is honestly the LEAST IMPRESSIVE lineup of wide receivers i have ever seen entering the season in all the years i have loved this team. With that said I think our Tight ends are excellent. If Reeds healthy, along with Davis and Sprinkle we have one of the best Tight End trio's in the league.

• Like 2

So I feel like Terry Mclauin is being treated like Julio Jones by the Skins. He didn't play in the last game and he didn't catch one ball in preseason. Am I missing something here? Did he impress everyone that much in practice? It sounds like he's a sure thing as in a starter for the Skins if Doctson is cut. It's just weird to me, or is he just hurt?

Edited by desertbeagle85
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I think we could knock a little bit of the uncertainty (and the lowest man on the totem pole) out of our WR corps by trading a late round pick for Taywan Taylor, rumor is he's available from TEN. I've been harping on it all offseason, since they drafted AJ Brown and signed Humphries to go along with Corey Davis (and being a run heavy team with disappointing QB play to begin with). I really hope we explore it. 

1 hour ago, desertbeagle85 said:

So I feel like Terry Mclauin is being treated like Julio Jones by the Skins. He didn't play in the last game and he didn't catch one ball in preseason. Am I missing something here? Did he impress everyone that much in practice? It sounds like he's a sure thing as in a starter for the Skins if Doctson is cut. It's just weird to me, or is he just hurt?

It's weird. Trey Quinn caught almost 40 more balls in his senior season than McLaurin caught in his collegiate career. And it's not like Ohio State didn't throw the ball. McLaurin averaged less than 3 catches per game in college in his best season, maxing out at 35 catches total. He's fast. He's a good guy. He certainly tries hard. But is he actually a good football player? I guess it remains to be seen, but he wasn't a big time receiver in college. Someone threw out a comparison to Darrius Heyward-Bey, which doesn't sound that far-fetched. And Heyward-Bey had a fairly long NFL career, just not one as a bona fide starting WR. So yes. It is weird to ask a guy like that to start as a rookie.

17 minutes ago, XxSpearheadxX said:

Fred smoot said Mclaurin had a pretty bad bruised tailbone 3 weeks ago or something and that is why he has had limited real action. It took me a month to feel better when I bruised mine, I could imagine it sucks to play WR in the NFL with one

Well maybe that is the issue. If so that sucks because that will probably slow his development. 

41 minutes ago, Jericho said:

It's weird. Trey Quinn caught almost 40 more balls in his senior season than McLaurin caught in his collegiate career. And it's not like Ohio State didn't throw the ball. McLaurin averaged less than 3 catches per game in college in his best season, maxing out at 35 catches total. He's fast. He's a good guy. He certainly tries hard. But is he actually a good football player? I guess it remains to be seen, but he wasn't a big time receiver in college. Someone threw out a comparison to Darrius Heyward-Bey, which doesn't sound that far-fetched. And Heyward-Bey had a fairly long NFL career, just not one as a bona fide starting WR. So yes. It is weird to ask a guy like that to start as a rookie.

Yeah that's just it. He really didn't have impressive numbers in college. So I don't know what to think about him. There is also a good chance he could be a starter if Docston is cut tomorrow. 

Just now, XxSpearheadxX said:

It feels like Gruden has been less forthcoming with injury updates this preseason than past years 

Yeah I don't understand that move by coaches. I get it with the QB, because the opposing team doesn't know who to prepare for. After that though I don't get that play by coaches. 

18 hours ago, RabidFan said:

Sims could have been beaten out by Sims Jr last night since he's a returner.  Harmon and Davis have the big bodies like Cam so one of them will be the odd man out unless we can unload Doctson or just cut his arse.  Keep the youth and send Quick and Josh packing.

I have  been wondering all offseason who will be the kickoff returner/punt returner. Reynolds flashed. Now, Simms did. I'd hate to go through another season where our most productive special teams' play was the fair catch.

17 minutes ago, HTTRDynasty said:

So, I’m guessing our starting WR trio is now McLaurin, Richardson, and Quinn?  Not exactly the most physically imposing group but we’ll be  a speedy crew with good route-running. 

I guess we are going with a group that is similar in to the Seahawks when they had Baldwin, Richardson, and Lockett. My concern is that our starters are injury prone. I like Steven Sims and think he can be a better player than Quinn. I called it when he signed. Also we have no experience behind the starters. Will R Davis, Kidsey, Harmon, be able to step up? I’m a little pessimistic on it but hopeful. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Jericho said:

Heyward bey was a bad comparison. he was taken by the raiders at #8 iirc.. He was drafted almost entirely based on speed. He was very raw coming out and was way overdrafted. McLaurin is much more polished than heyward bey was. 

Ohio state didnt throw much while McLaurin was there. They relied upon a mobile qb/run centric offense. It wasn't until his senior season that he really had a chance with a change in scheme and a reliance upon haskins. Even then Campbell (drafted 2nd rd) and dixon (udfa texans) got more targets. 

I am always wary of players who didnt put up massive numbers in college, but every scenario needs to be looked at separately. Terry's situation is an anomaly imo.

He excelled at the opportunities he was given though. He was elite in play efficiency, special teams performance, and speed. 

Fortunately it does look like the redskins management likes him and he is going to get his chance soon. 

It's shaped up allright.

What shape it is, is yet to be seen.

What we have is...

3 Rookies, including one UDFA.

a 4th is a virtual rookie in Robert Davis, who has never played in an NFL (regular) game.

a 5th one is a 2nd year player who is almost a rookie, considering he was hurt most of his rookie year.

And PRich, officially our "wiley ol veteran" of the bunch, who only played in 7 games last year.

So to summarize the most outstanding aspect : None of our receivers played more than 7 games last season.

Edited by Malapropismic Depository
  • Like 1

I'm trying to be positive here.

The thing that I like about this group is that someone is going to HAVE TO step up.  They're going to have to produce.  It's not like we've got Pierre and DeSean and are wondering who 3 and 4 are...no, some of these guys are going to have to step up and make catches.  

Now that Doctson looks to be gone, everything is wide open (no pun intended) to see if any of these guys can be a true threat.  There's a lot of upside here.  I'm cautiously optimistic by Week 9 and 10 we've got a couple of guys that are producing good numbers, making big catches and solidifying themselves as players that can be part of the core group of the future.

Also, another good reason why Case is starting.  Case, albeit briefly, played with some good receivers in Minnesota and Denver and can help these guys along.  I'm not trying to hijack this thread into a QB debate but Case has played with some talented guys at the WR position and should be able to help foster this group along.

23 minutes ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

It's shaped up allright.

What shape it is, is yet to be seen.

What we have is...

3 Rookies, including one UDFA.

a 4th is a virtual rookie in Robert Davis, who has never played in an NFL (regular) game.

a 5th one is a 2nd year player who is almost a rookie, considering he was hurt most of his rookie year.

And PRich, officially our "wiley ol veteran" of the bunch, who only played in 7 games last year.

So to summarize the most outstanding aspect : None of our receivers played more than 7 games last season.

Super Bowl? 

3 minutes ago, desertbeagle85 said:

Super Bowl? 

Well, to be fair to the players themselves, I don't think it's fair for many people to call them the worst group in the league, or even 'one of the worst'.

The reason is because of the difference between the unknown and the known.

If they were all known commodities, and known to be bad, that's one thing.

But the truth is, nobody knows what they are capable of doing this year.

The "unknown" is not the same as being bad. They may actually turn out to be bad. But maybe there's just as good a chance they could be very good.