Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Redskins receiving corp is beginning to shape up

Burgold

20 hours ago, RandyHolt said:

Based on previous comments on chances of stashing him, I presume consensus remains that Harmon is a  lock for 53.  I still wonder does he play teams. Where is Davis?? What about Cam Sims - who is ahead of who.  I cannot believe Sims's's bad luck last year we had a FA WR make the opening roster, and heck opening kickoff for the season, and then gets injured?

I am thinking Josh Rich Quinn McL Harmon Sims is the 6, Davis knows his way around the PS, and maybe kind of lucked into those teams recoveries - riding our MVP Way's coattails.

I seem to remember keeping 5 many years/not sure. Keeping 3 QBs is going to cost a spot somewhere. Jordan Reed injured may force a 4thTE to open the year... or maybe not. 3RBs frees up a spot.

Doctson's presence really gums up the works.  It would probably be easy if he werent around.  If they could dump him and keep Davis on the 53, I'd be happy. 

41 minutes ago, sportjunkie07 said:

Cut colt. Keep 2 qbs. 

They can IR him probably and buy some time.  

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, justice98 said:

Doctson's presence really gums up the works.  It would probably be easy if he werent around.  If they could dump him and keep Davis on the 53, I'd be happy. 

They can IR him probably and buy some time.  

Not a bad idea. I don't know how IR works but I'd rather stash him if we can. 

He's a viable backup due to system knowledge but doesn't do us any good if he's hurt. 

1 hour ago, sportjunkie07 said:

Not a bad idea. I don't know how IR works but I'd rather stash him if we can. 

He's a viable backup due to system knowledge but doesn't do us any good if he's hurt. 

If we put Colt on IR he does not count towards the 53. He must stay on IR for at least 8 weeks and then he can be brought back to the 53. You can do that with only two players from IR though. If you are on IR you can attend meetings but you can not practice.

1 hour ago, MartinC said:

If we put Colt on IR he does not count towards the 53. He must stay on IR for at least 8 weeks and then he can be brought back to the 53. You can do that with only two players from IR though. If you are on IR you can attend meetings but you can not practice.

thanks for straightening this out.  I wasn't sure if IR on final cut down day worked like regular season where you can come back or preseason where you're done

4 hours ago, sportjunkie07 said:

Cut colt. Keep 2 qbs. 

Preaching to the choir but isn't Colt our starting QB? He was named as such about 2-3 weeks ago, and just has an ankle.  Who cuts their starting QB!  Dysfunctional orgs like us, that's who.  Maybe he will follow in the Luck footsteps and realize the injuries are never ending. Coach for Jay next year.

Plus, not me, but many seem very very concerned about Haskins seeing snaps this year, especially in the first half of the year.  I wonder if they would endorse an extra QB retained (sacrificing a WR?) to insure one hit on Case in week 1 doesn't "toss him to the wolves" and ruin him. They say once he goes in, he cannot come out. Something I call complete bunk on.

Edited by RandyHolt

2 hours ago, RandyHolt said:

Preaching to the choir but isn't Colt our starting QB? He was named as such about 2-3 weeks ago, and just has an ankle.  Who cuts their starting QB!  Dysfunctional orgs like us, that's who.  Maybe he will follow in the Luck footsteps and realize the injuries are never ending. Coach for Jay next year.

Plus, not me, but many seem very very concerned about Haskins seeing snaps this year, especially in the first half of the year.  I wonder if they would endorse an extra QB retained (sacrificing a WR?) to insure one hit on Case in week 1 doesn't "toss him to the wolves" and ruin him. They say once he goes in, he cannot come out. Something I call complete bunk on.

what is up with you?

4 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Just read Standig's take:  He has C. Sims, Harmon and R. Davis as locks. 

He thinks for the 7th receiver its Doctson, S. Sims, Chesson, Kidsy vying for the last spot.

Wow, so this prediction of us keeping 7 receivers, really has legs to it, huh.

Wondering if part of the reasoning is, since we've been so weak at WR, that keeping higher quantity increases the chance of finding a diamond in the rough.

Edited by Malapropismic Depository

Washington is in a different spot this year with Doctson than the last few years. He has undeniable physical talent, and the team doesn’t want to give up on that. 

The Redskins also added two rookie wideouts this year in the draft in Terry McLaurin and Kelvin Harmon, and combined with a number of second year players like Trey Quinn and Cam Sims to go with established starter Paul Richardson, Doctson looks more expendable than ever. 

And there’s the added reality - If Doctson isn’t in the cards for 2020, why wait around in 2019?

All of that said, he could still help this fall. And that’s why the team doesn’t want to outright release him on Saturday when rosters drop from 90 players to 53. 

Multiple league sources have suggested that eventually, Doctson will play well, and that it will probably happen if/when he ends up with one of the NFL’s two Texas franchises, the Texans or the Cowboys. Doctson is a Texas native and played his best college football after he transferred from Wyoming back to TCU. 

That might be overly simplistic, but people believe it. Besides a fresh start with fewer expectations might be just what Doctson needs. 

• Like 1

It strikes me as very odd that a team is toying with releasing its seemingly undisputed #1, with so little experience / depth and a lot of injuries behind him. 

Now it may be about how great everyone else is, but we are talking about a guy that started in the preseason game 3 - the dress rehearsal for the opener. Folks often talk about Jay trying to pump up Perine's tires - what about Josh.  If the plan is to trade or cut him I don't want him getting first team reps.  If trades for 2 years have failed, one target in preseason is not going to change anything. 

Maybe we have been holding him as injury insurance, and Bruce has been asking far too much for him. Or, there is no demand since teams know they can wait a year and get him for free.

politics-mastermind-alistair-campbell-sp

Edited by RandyHolt
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, RandyHolt said:

It strikes me as very odd that a team is toying with releasing its seemingly undisputed #1, with so little experience / depth and a lot of injuries behind him. 

Now it may be about how great everyone else is, but we are talking about a guy that started in the preseason game 3 - the dress rehearsal for the opener. Folks often talk about Jay trying to pump up Perine's tires - what about Josh.  If the plan is to trade or cut him I don't want him getting first team reps.  If trades for 2 years have failed, one target in preseason is not going to change anything. 

Maybe we have been holding him as injury insurance, and Bruce has been asking far too much for him. Or, there is no demand since teams know they can wait a year and get him for free.

politics-mastermind-alistair-campbell-sp

A title like undisputed number 1 is not something that every team has. Doctson hasn't earned that even if he has more production than our other WRs

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, tmandoug1 said:

Would like to see Davis, Harmon, Mclaurin on the field at the start of the last preseason game. Crazy, but can we cut Richardson, Doctson and move on? 

I will up the crazy. Add in Guice and Sims. Cam Sims. Our offense of the future, today.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, tmandoug1 said:

Would like to see Davis, Harmon, Mclaurin on the field at the start of the last preseason game. Crazy, but can we cut Richardson, Doctson and move on? 

I'm pretty sure there would be a negative cap hit if we cut Richardson, and I think he's still got some value as a deep threat(but I agree he's overpaid big time).

We should cut Doctson. He has no value whatsoever. Nobody will trade more than a conditional 7th rounder for him.

9 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

I'm pretty sure there would be a negative cap hit if we cut Richardson, and I think he's still got some value as a deep threat(but I agree he's overpaid big time).

We should cut Doctson. He has no value whatsoever. Nobody will trade more than a conditional 7th rounder for him.

If we can get a chance at a pick for someone we're going to cut, give me that pick please.

40 minutes ago, tmandoug1 said:

Well, Guice would be a bit over the top...... but I get the sarcasm. 

No sarcasm here! Jay clearly wanted to get Guice a lot of work 5 days ago, and AP no work. I doubt much has changed.

4 wide single back Haskins in gun at the helm... I contend is our passing offense of the future. I see no reason to not let the kids play the opening drive or 2.

Edited by RandyHolt

12 hours ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

Wondering if part of the reasoning is, since we've been so weak at WR, that keeping higher quantity increases the chance of finding a diamond in the rough.

We are certainly light on proven talent - no clear number 1, a couple of vets who are more #3's than #2's even and a bunch of young guys with potential. But those young guys have a LOT of potential. It's not unreasonable to think that one or two of them could emerge into quality NFL receivers given the snaps and targets. I've been very impressed with Harmon in preseason and McLauren is a consensus as being the best receiver in training camp.

I think (hope) we might view this receiving group very differently (and the depth chart) by the end of the season.

1 hour ago, RandyHolt said:

No sarcasm here! Jay clearly wanted to get Guice a lot of work 5 days ago, and AP no work. I doubt much has changed.

4 wide single back Haskins in gun at the helm... I contend is our passing offense of the future. I see no reason to not let the kids play the opening drive or 2.

Lol.....I thought you meant dump Guice and Sims. I was thinking what is he taking about.  But I agree, let the kids play.  It is hopefully our future. 

• Like 1

I mean, not that one can predict the crazy decisions this staff makes, but considering how weak the receiving core has been for years, it would be beyond strange to ditch your #1 receiver right before the season starts.  That would literally leave a receiving core of 6 receivers who had a combined 330 yards last year, and 1 with more than 100 in his career. Talk about setting up a new QB behind an already depleted Oline up for failure.

• Like 2