Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2018 Free Agency Database - (Signed: WILLIAMS - McPhee - Scandrick - P-Rich) - (Lauvao, Bergstrom, Nsehke, Taylor, Z. Brown and Quick re-signed)

DC9

21 minutes ago, Rufus T Firefly said:

You don't get compensation for not matching an offer sheet to a Transition tagged player.

So basically the team has to make attempt to match the offer and then if the player decides to sign with that other team than the compensation kicks in,correct

6 minutes ago, Rufus T Firefly said:

Let's not jump to too many conclusions here. It was my guess at what they were thinking, and it still wouldn't necessarily be wrong.

Your right, and thats why they are bringing in the dallas guy as a backup plan, just hate it always feels like we dont know what we are doing.

7 minutes ago, Mr.Will said:

So basically the team has to make attempt to match the offer and then if the player decides to sign with that other team than the compensation kicks in,correct

no, not at all.

Matching a transition tagged player's offer sheet means he stays with your team, at the exact contract he signed with the other team.  Comensation for the loss of a transition tagged player hasn't existed since about the mid 90s.

1 hour ago, Mr.Will said:

I'm not entirely sure what you're saying. 

If you Transition tag a player and he signs an offer sheet, you either match the offer and then he's under contract to your team, or you don't and he becomes a member of the team who signed him to the offer sheet and you get no compensation.

5 hours ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

The question is what team would be willing to give him a long-term contract, commit to him as a starter, and give up a second?

It's possible, but for a guy who's been a backup, that's a pretty steep price.

Do the rules state that a player’s team cannot accept a lower pick than the one tendered?  I could see the Redskins accepting a 3rd, perhaps even a 4th.  It’s a risk for the other team, but the chance at a starting T and especially the chance of extending him quite cheaply could be tempting... even if it’s just a 2 or 3 year stint.  

With that said, his age and injury are concerning, and we may be overrating him a bit.  

40 minutes ago, skinsmania123 said:

It is a good point.  He is not worth $8M because he does suck in coverage but **** we have not had many decent tacklers who could actually pursue a RB like that in years.  To me it is a tradeoff with players.  I wish we could have signed him because now we are going to have to use a 1st or 2nd round pick to replace him IMO. Would have much rather gone DL first pick. 

I think the dilemma with Zach Brown could be "is better than anything else we have, reason enough to overpay."  Zach Brown has a really good skillset for certain things, but he is a liability in coverage. I suppose most linebackers are at some point or another, and while he was an improved linebacker over what was on this roster, it doesn't mean he was so good that the front office should just pay him whatever he wants. 

53 minutes ago, Mr.Will said:

I’ve got a question that maybe someone can answer..Why did we not transition tag Kirk Cousins??..it only means we have the rights to match the teams offer but if we do not then we receive draft pick compensation in return??..am I mistaken on how that works,if I’m right then why in the Hell why would we not tag him with it???

There really wasn't much upside with the transition tag. Yes, you could have matched an offer. But no compensation if you did not and teams could structure a deal making it impossible to trade. So unless you wanted to try and keep Cousins (which the team clearly did not at this point), there's little benefit. They was potentially some use of a franchise. I still think the team missed the boat on that one. Tyrod Taylor netted a 3rd rounder this year and everyone thought he'd be cut. Teams are D-E-S-P-E-R-A-T-E for a QB. There are teams that would trade something even with only 1 guaranteed year of Cousins. But that ship sailed...

1 hour ago, bobandweave said:

My concern with TG is that he seems like a Bruce Allen guy. Someone that wasn’t very good on his old team that gets overpaid to come here and disappoints. How many times has Bruce done that to us? Might as well target Donte Moncrief as well, an average guy with good fourty time that wasn’t very good on his old team that Bruce’s overpays to get.

If they are going to overpay why not just overpay for a talented guy instead? Never understood that about Bruce’s approach. Like two average receivers like TG and DM would be better to Bruce then one ARob, when you add it up they cost the same

Exactly. Guys like Gabirel and Al Wilson are decent enough players. But they're guys you only really want to be 3rd receivers at best. For one, the team already has a good 3rd WR in Crowder. So I'm not sure where you really play a Gabriel or a Wislon. Two, you probably don't want to pay your 3rd receiver that much money (need to use it elsewhere). Signing either would seem like an extreme disappointment and a probably bust.

There's really only 3 WRs worth chasing - Robinson, Richardson, and Watkins. Robinson is a bona fide #1 with the only real concern being a knee injury. Richardson seems like a decent #2. But this team would still lack a #1 if he signed. And Watkins could be a #1 or might just be a high-priced #2. If he's anywhere near his 2015 form, he's a stud.

The #Dolphins have emerged as the front-runner for #Chiefs FA WR Albert Wilson, sources say, with a hotter than expected market. It’s still fluid, one source cautioned. He’s coming off a career high in catches (42) and yards (554) and would beef up the receiving group.

153 replies437 retweets827 likes

2. **UPDATED NFL RUMORS** Source: Sammy Watkins could possibly have three offers on table before tmrw night #Rams #Bears #Jaguars are most interested Packers/Bills both could jump in bidding if they miss on other targets

1 hour ago, dcdiscokid said:

Sadly once again our FO miss judging the market....

How can you possibly think there is going to be a strong market for a guy coming off of a torn ACL and a PED suspension? I mean maybe he is a 9 sack guy. But he wouldnt be starting for us anyways over Kerrigan and Smith. Be smart. Let the other teams over pay for a guy with that kind of baggage.

All we n

1 minute ago, clskinsfan said:

How can you possibly think there is going to be a strong market for a guy coming off of a torn ACL and a PED suspension? I mean maybe he is a 9 sack guy. But he wouldnt be starting for us anyways over Kerrigan and Smith. Be smart. Let the other teams over pay for a guy with that kind of baggage.

Not much of a shocker that Murphy is getting some love.  I would be highly shocked if we get outbid for his services.  Murphy is going to be a lineman for us.  He played inside a bit and he can be a stud rotational pass rusher.

50 minutes ago, Poindexter said:

All we n

Not much of a shocker that Murphy is getting some love.  I would be highly shocked if we get outbid for his services.  Murphy is going to be a lineman for us.  He played inside a bit and he can be a stud rotational pass rusher.

we scrapped the Murphy as DL experiment when Galette went down the second time

On 3/9/2018 at 8:49 PM, NickyJ said:

Hell no to Compton. I'd take running nickel formation all the time if it keeps Compton off the field. Good heart, but awful skill. At worst, take a flyer on a random dude and hope he isn't trash. Better than the complete mediocrity we KNOW we'd get from Compton.

And there's my point. 

Ten teams for Trent Murphy, sweet mother of pearl. I think Cooley's right...they screwed up not offering him a deal in September. He very well may be gone and they turn to Galette. May lose both. 

Still doesn't make Anderson a good pick as an edge rusher. He'd truly have to be the unicorn of this generation of edge rusher.
Do we really have to see Ryan Anderson as the primary back-up edge rusher?

I do hope something works out. Defense has to grow stronger, and I'd be shocked if they weren't leaning offense as the probable BPAs. Murphy may have interest from 10 teams at 1 million, who knows?

1 minute ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

Allen Robinson to the Bears, looks like (Schefter reporting).

There's goes the slight amount of enthusiasm I had for Wednesday. 

It's hard to compete with a team with a young rookie deal QB. I think they spend 15 million less at the QB position then we do. You can then throw around a couple of big deals for his weapons. 

Archived